Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndreaJ

Veteran
Dry but windy this morning and as the forecast is for stronger wind tomorrow it seemed like a good idea to get the 50km challenge ride done today. Set off to Whixall, Fenns Bank, Fenns Wood, Alkington over to Tilstock before turning back down the next lane to Whixall, Coton Wood, Coton, Prees where the wind was starting to be a nuisance and made for slow progress through to Edstaston, Ryebank, Horton, Loppington where I could take a detour and avoid any more riding into 20mph headwinds going on to Lyneal, Colemere wondering why I keep coming this way on a Sunday as there is a bit of traffic about with people going walking at Colemere, back into Lyneal, Northwood and home. The roads were mostly dry today so actually got home fairly clean. 36.92 miles. Photo of the autumn leaves in the woods near Lyneal only place I could stop without being blown away!
87866732-69B0-4297-B5EC-90BCCAE1CDD2.jpeg

KingswayRider

Über Member
No ride yesterday...40mph+ winds & driving rain just not safe, so I got in an early loop this morning before the club ride. Windy & wet to start, but other than one heavy-ish squall, the drizzle stopped by the time I was turning back to reach the start of the club ride. Only 3 out & pace limited by others capabilities, so decided to challenge myself to ride everything in the big ring. A mostly rolling route with a few short sharp rises around Newent & we did reasonably well at sheltering from the worst of the wind (still 20mph winds). Unfortunately the final climb was up through May Hill Village & straight into the wind. I stuck it out on the big ring but it certainly wasn't the fastest way up (although still 1st up). A steady 65 miles with 827m of ascent. Nice to be out & overall not a bad morning in the saddle. Traffic back across town was not pleasant (route was to north of Gloucester, so had to get across to the south (cycle/pedestrian bridge between Minsterworth & Elmore Back would be nice...).

footloose crow

Über Member
2 Nov. Dodging squalls

It has to be a short ride. By the time today's obligations are discharged there is just a short window between now and darkness. Even as I tell my wife my plan to go out a squall of rain rattles the windows and the wind rolls plant pots across the deck. 'Sun will be out in minute' I say as I wheel the bike down the path and sure enough it appears, shafts of solid light between Turner-esque clouds. Rainbows and dark skies. Gusts that knock me sideways and make me pedal hard even on the downhills. A malevolent wind.

Out of Truro on the A390 buffeted one way by passing trucks and the other way by the wind. I don't like this. The road is wet and greasy and this is a fast downhill. The traffic is passing in a haze of spray, the droplets catching the light. My legs are already spotted with road dirt. As soon as possible I am off the road and heading up Truck Hill, the wind urging me on to a Strava time within a second of my best ever and without trying too hard. Thank you wind - although I know you will exact payment on the way home.

Then it is back to dirty lanes, mud slick and thorn scattered, the bike wheels skittering over the wet grass in the middle of the lane. The trees have been stripped bare by the last week of gales and I can see the next rain squall is fast approaching. Big drops smear the screen on the Wahoo and I seek shelter for five minutes beneath a skeletal tree.

A right turn onto a cleaner road but only because there is traffic; farm lorries passing in a burst of spray, the drivers intent on the road and seemingly unaware of my presence. The wind has turned against me too. Quickly across the A road and back onto the quiet lanes. I will take the dirt over the traffic any day.

Now I have far reaching views as I follow a ridge crest on the edge of the Roseland peninsula, hidden Cornwall and quiet today as it is every day. These lanes are not signposted and hard to find. The rain has washed the air clean and the landscape is crisp and in focus. The light streams from gaps in the cloud cover, an intensely blue sky between storm clouds.

The wind is against me now, so strong at one point I am in the small cog on the front even going downhill. I don't mind. I didn't set out to do a fast ride but just to be outside and on the bike.

Back on the A390 for the reverse of the earlier fast downhill, only now a slow uphill against the wind but this time on the cycle path, a narrow strip of debris strewn and greasy tarmac that follows the road edge. I feel safer on it though and focus on breathing and progress. The Wahoo tells me the split times (comparing my progress to my best time ever on this hill) every few seconds and I can see I am falling further and further behind. I switch pages and stop worrying about it.

Home at 4pm and already it is growing dark, the rush hour traffic growing, the street lights flickering on in dark corners. Lockdown is approaching and so is winter. This is a dark time.

Screenshot 2020-11-02 at 18.14.04.png

AndreaJ

Veteran
Still windy this morning although not as bad as yesterday but forecast to get worse again by lunchtime so set off as soon as the school traffic had gone ( would rather take a chance with the promised 40+mph wind than school run traffic.) Off into the sunshine to Loppington, Nonely, into the wind to Myddle and up the hill to turn down Lower Road,onto Merrington where the sunshine disappeared and it started to rain, carried on to Old Woods, Fennemere, Eyton, into Baschurch and a tailwind most of the way to Marton, Burlton, a different bit of Loppington with a detour up the Ellesmere road to Horton and home. Apart from one dog walker in Baschurch didn’t see anyone else. No picture today because it was cold, wet and windy. Had to clean my bike again because it was filthy although I’m sure it will be just as bad in a few days. 22.84 miles and got home before the wind got worse.

Old jon

Guru
Bright skies again and it is time to take the fixed out for a ride. Walking across Victoria Bridge yesterday morning I noticed how high the river was, so this morning I thought to see if there was much flooding around.

The Armouries, for the riverside path to Woodlesford, seemed a good place to start. And then to return to after finding fifty yards or so of path had become part of the river. Ride on the road then, through a lot of Hunslet on the way to the climb up to John o’ Gaunts. Down to Oulton and ride out on the A639.

Mickletown next, then Methley Junction to Castleford. The river and canal are to my left all the way along here, no sign of any flooding. All the way to Castleford Bridge, crossing that a quick look left showed the weir was, ermmm, high. It is quite a drag up to Ledston Luck from here, then the roads level out on the way to another mickle, Micklefield this time.

At the crossroads with the B1217 I turned right, out of habit I suppose. Or maybe I wanted another sight of Lotherton Gates. Turn left at those gates to Aberford and take Cattle Lane out of there. This is a bit up and down, but there is a flat bit too.

Into Barwick and the first drops of rain were falling. On the way out of there I could hear voices behind, and by the time I reached Scholes the two lasses had caught up. They were that slightly uncomfortable bit faster than me, still in sight on Thorner Lane just before I turned onto Skeltons Lane.

From where I rode the usual way home, still with the odd spit of rain. Thirty seven miles and sixteen hundred feet, mostly bright and it never felt really cold. Something, no a lot of things, to smile about.

Ups and downs and arounds

03112020.jpg

0311elev.jpg

colly

Re member eR
Another outing into a bright sunny afternoon, which turned into a dull afternoon pdq. I thought to myself 'Am I a rain magnet?' as I felt those first cold drops on my face. Turns out I am not. It dripped a bit for maybe 10 miles or so but nothing to get wet about, it was cold (hence the long
tights) and being made of stern stuff I simply laughed if off........ha ha ha.
So out across the park, Street Lane to Harrogate Road and once out of the crush I made for Bramhope and then down Pool Bank to meet the swollen Wharfe. It was as @Old jon said 'Ermmm high'. I drove over the Wharfe at Harewood Bridge yesterday and I think it was as high as I've ever seen it.
After pool I headed up towards Farnley and then back down into the busy Otley.:sad: Mid afternoon traffic and small compact market towns don't really go together all that well, but when did that ever matter to planners and the like?
Up the long gradual climb from Otley to The Dyneley Arms and past Bramhope, the Mone Bros. quarry on King lane and round the back of the ever present Eccup Reservoir. Harrogate Road, Moortown and after a short loop round the block back home.

30.2 miles of sweaty coldness and 2000ft of up.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/58535734

Last edited:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Margaret PR and Jules H were at the meet as I rolled up. Our initial aim was for The Mythe so Jules picked the White Rabbit route. Then onward we skirted the most of Tewkesbury to admire the thatched owls on some of the roofs in Kemerton. At Beckford, unusually, we took little used lanes by Alderton to Greet. Quite a different approach to the Cotswold scarp for us. We dodged around Winchcombe and took familiar lanes through Stanton and Stanway. Margaret turned off for an early return while Jules and I were almost at Buckland. This was our first visit to this village. Lovely spot. We visited the church which had some interesting artefacts and history. Good spot for us to eat our sandwiches sitting in the warming sun. Our return began by Aston Somerfield and on to Hinton Cross. Every up slope I was struggling on. Thanks to Jules for his patience. Our run was fairly standard now but by the Combertons my slope struggles began to disappear as something resembling normality returned. Onward over the Avon at Eckington for Strensham lead to our parting at Upton. I took to my usual return route by Brotheridge Green where I paused to watch a Barn Owl hunting over a bit of rough pasture. Always a wonderful bird to see. 68 smiles

Attachments

• P1010708.JPG
    P1010708.JPG
    201.5 KB · Views: 3
  • P1010709.JPG
    P1010709.JPG
    241.1 KB · Views: 2
  • P1010710.JPG
    P1010710.JPG
    232.2 KB · Views: 4
  • P1010711.JPG
    P1010711.JPG
    238.1 KB · Views: 4

Mike_P

Guru
Day booked off (home) work and weather forecast right for once so around a quarter to 11 once the day had warmed up a touch the Defy headed north for a pre lockdown 2.0 ride along the A61 to Ripon; a few years back the road was clearly signposted with the number of casualties per annum on it; all drivers were well behaved and careful today bar one.
A61 crash.jpg

A head or cross head wind made the upgrades onto Grewelthorpe a slog not helped by the rear mech playing up, refusing occasionally to drop onto a smaller cog – the temporary resolution for the ride was to change the front mech which somehow caused the rear mech to behave. Stopped by the village pond in Grewelthorpe for a lunch of cheese sandwiches and an apple.
Grewelthorpe.jpg

The ascent away from the village was wet with running water pouring out of a road drain grate and then over the crest the decent in the shade was cold and I was glad I had not taken the gilet off. The sun returned as I turned along Roomer Lane with valley of the River Ure laid out in the landscape .
Roomer Lane 1.jpg

A section was completely flooded and I decided to wheel the bike pass on the muddy verge thankful I had pair of nearly looking like road shoes MTB shoes on.
Roomer Lane 2.jpg

Immediately afterwards the new sports cam mount on its first outing broke:cursing:
Quickly thereafter came the xW of Swinton dominated by the castle, today a hotel, and its grounds
swinton park.jpg

A short distance later Masham had its weekly market on a small part of the huge market place. The A6108 east away from Masham had been closed due to flooding but the signs had been removed so I headed east, at one point the road was almost flooded completely and I cycled along the obvious high point of the road well on the wrong side of the road.

Carried on east on the B6267 to Nosterfield where I turned south then south west to the local nature reserve for a snack break.
Nosterfield NR.jpg

Onto West Tanfield and the A6108 to Ripon in increasingly threatening skys; not surprising with a tail wind the days PRs were recorded on this part of the ride and once beyond Ripon the sun returned.

Through Bishop Monkton and pass Copgrove to the crossroads east of Farnham where a brief halt for another snack was quickly nearby joined by a whole group of cyclists who could be heard discussing the route I was about to take, “Knaresboroughs down this hill”, “The climb away is a b*stard, I always struggle”.

Indeed it seemed a struggle away from Knaresborough on the A59 as the rear mech played up again; where I could have done with not being in the large cog I had to stay in until the normal need again for it on the steeper parallel cycle path. Decided to go along the full length of Bilton Lane as the old railway in the cutting from Starbeck would probably be somewhat cold. 49.22 miles @13.6mph avg 2854ft climbed
041120 elevation.jpg

4 Nov route.jpg

Last edited:

footloose crow

Über Member
4 Nov. My first Audax....and maybe the last for a while

The internet is burning up with cyclists giving their views on whether Audax UK should continue to validate DIY Audax and Permanents during the lockdown. For the confused, it is possible, or maybe was possible until today, to submit a GPX track of a ride of 100, 200, 400km etc and have it validated as a DIY Audax. The only requirement is to state to Audax UK in advance where you were going and when and have the route approved.

Well maybe 'the internet is burning' is a small exaggeration. There are about ten people on Yet Another Cycling Forum (am I allowed to mention them on here?) expressing a range of contradictory views and SPD sandals are being thrown around.

Just as well then that on the eve of the lockdown I managed to squeeze in my first validated Audax 100k ride. A small beginning. I found it extremely hard and it may be a while before I try a 200km ride. Well at least a month...and that end date is from a mendacious Prime Minister who has only a passing acquaintance with truth. So maybe a couple of months, or more. Who knows?

The ride started well with blue skies and a tailwind although the air was cold enough to bite my fingers and face, especially in the shaded lanes away from the sun.

Morning lanes

This will be the longest ride I have done post broken collarbone and I have divided it into stages in my mind. Achievable goals. Just get to the top of this hill, maybe get as far as Illogan, see if you can get to Hayle. It normally works but today I have a ticking clock. I have a time limit for the ride. I have to finish by a certain time. It makes me push harder than I feel comfortable with, heart rate exploding on the hills. I want to slow down and enjoy the scenery more; all of Cornwall looks serene today under a clear sky. Colours as bright as wet paint, deep green fields, the sea looking positively cerulean, the sharp edges of the engine houses contrasting against the bright yellow of gorse and the browns and reds of old bracken. I feel driven though and the tail wind is helping me achieve speeds I do not normally achieve.

In a little over two hours I have reached Penzance and clocked 37 miles. Blimey that was fast. I sit on the harbour wall and rest, already feeling the NE wind that will hold me up all the way home. The sea looks flat under this slanting November light but there are surfers in Mounts Bay and I can see the the waves foaming over offshore rocks.

Penzance harbour

Mounts Bay and St Michael's Mount

The cycle path between Marazion and Penzance is being closed later today to be re-surfaced and the contractors are erecting Harris fencing to block it off. The current surface of the path is poor; sharp pointed rocks set in hard packed grit. These are tyre ripping teeth and I really don't want a puncture here. The sign says they expect to take 180 days to complete the work. Hopefully it includes separating cyclists and pedestrians and their dogs on this narrow path. The alternative by road is urban dual carriageway with busy and fast roundabouts.

If the journey to Penzance was a head-down speed and distance devouring experience, the return leg is a slog. My legs suddenly feel leaden. I am in 34/34 on every hill - even the ones I would normally take in my stride. It is more than the headwind and maybe I needed to rest more before this ride.

I set distance goals again and reward myself with a biscuit or a brief rest when I reach them. The clock is still ticking in my mind, although I have switched pages on the Wahoo so I cannot see it running down. I think that makes it worse. I torture myself with thoughts of failing on my first Audax, of not making the cut off time. I can't remember what the cutoff time is anymore and the mental maths trying to calculate it is tiring and unproductive.

St Ives and Gwithian beach

I know if I can get to Portreath, I can always get home from there quite quickly. It is home territory, afternoon or evening spin distance. The road into Portreath drops a long way from the heights of the north coast in a series of sweeping, fast bends and suddenly I am looking over the bay and the beach and the village behind. Time for an energy gel, let's see if they work. The village is crowded with visitors although half term has gone. Making the most of pre-lockdown or will it be different this time. More selfishness, more ignoring the rules, more 'if Cummings can go to Durham, I can go to the beach'?

Portreath in November sunshine

The final hill through Truro is a trial. The bottom is a 12% kicker and then it slowly declines to 6%. The lessening of angle comes too slowly as I slow down too, posting my longest time ever on this hill, grinding up in bottom gear, out of energy and enthusiasm. I am still not sure why today is so hard. I did this hill two days ago and it was fine.

By now I know that I am well within the time limit, especially as I have done 110km now and so have already achieved my goal. I didn't need to pressure myself. I was always going to make it and with time to spare.

This evening I sit with weary legs and post the GPX file of my route to Audax UK and get a response within an hour accepting my claim. No need for 'proof of passage' in terms of shop or cafe receipts, just my electronic snail trail. Just as well, as I continue to avoid people and shops and indoor spaces as I did during the first lockdown. So I have done an Audax finally, after joining last December and waiting for events to start again. They never did down here in Cornwall and even if they had, I broke my collarbone on the day lockdown ended.

Je suis un randonneur. (Sort of). I think 100k is very small beer in distance cycling but it is enough for me today. It was a 'Brevet Populaire' apparently. I could get a badge for my saddlebag now.

Screenshot 2020-11-04 at 19.02.43.png

pjd57

Veteran
Two completely contrasting trips today.
Both 17 and a bit miles long, one heading north out the city, through Bearsden to Carbeth.
The other across Glasgow to Rutherglen and back
strava8923869325104302765.jpg

strava143516168342272976.jpg

IMG_20201104_103136_937~3.jpg

View over to the Campsies from Stockiemuir road was great this morning.
I didn't bother with a city picture....we all know what traffic looks like.

Both trips were to deliver tablet that my wife makes and sells to raise funds for Marie Curie.
She always offers free delivery in the Glasgow area.... means I get a few outings.

Old jon

Guru
Bright sky, a bit cool, and some breeze. There was a route in what passes for my mind and I am sure the touring bike wanted to have it’s wheels turned. So off we went, me and the bike that is, seems to me solo rides only is the best bet. But minds are there for changing.

It is a dozen days since I rode up Boot Hill, so it must be time to ride it again. Once past the crest there is a short stretch of level road before the right turn onto Red Hall Lane. Skeltons Lane after this and at the ‘T’ junction turn right. This is a Thorner Lane, but riding away from Thorner. On and shortly off the A64 to pedal through Scholes on the way to Barwick in Elmet and the maypole there.

Bear right to pass the church, and down the hill to cross Cock Beck for the first time today. This road reaches Aberford after a couple of ups and downs, the beck flows off to the left. So turning right at the end of Cattle Lane leaves the beck behind for a while and takes me to Lotherton Lane. And those gates again. Turn left to ride to Towton.

And the beck is back at the left of the road. This is the beck, or river, which reportedly ran red that day in 1461 when the battle of Towton was fought. But not today. I turned left onto the A162 and rode further north to the left turn for Stutton and my second and last crossing of that beck today. Riding through the village I noticed one house was ‘Station House’, and checking the OS map just now, yup there was a railway there at one time.

A bit of rising road after leaving Stutton, parallel to the A64 which was very quiet this morning. A bridge over that leading to the crossroads with the old A64. Straight across and at the next junction turn left to head to Aberford. And things from here on fall together easily enough. In Thorner I decided to turn right onto Carr Lane, for a different route away from the village. And then turned left on the A58 to turn left again onto Coal Road and cross my outward route onto Red Hall Lane.

Down that hill, into the edge of town and home through Hunslet. The end of my street was a welcome sight, for the hot shower waiting to be had once through my front door. And the grin also for thirty eight wonderful miles topped with 2100 feet of uphill. So good.

Bonfire cards from the garthing . . .

05112020.jpg

0511elev.jpg

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
First ride for a fortnight today and I loved it. Just a variation of my bread and butter ride out to Frampton on Severn and back, with a couple of twists and turns added. 23.6 miles done at leisurely pace in beautiful, windless, low sun conditions. I wrapped up warm, but might not have needed to.

First up, the waterfront at Epney:

Then the canal at Frampton:

... and on the way back I diverted down Castle Lane .... where you get a better class of garden ornaments:

Had a great little rush of endorphines today. Lovely to get back out there. Not so bad, this autumn cycling.
Cheers, Donger.

gavgav

Guru
Time to start exercising my way through the depression of Lockdown part 2. Will need some self motivation to get out in the dark and less hospitable weather, but helped by the fact we can meet 1 other for exercise, so I met up with Doug, just down the road. To be fair, the weather was nice this evening, though, with not a breath of wind and whilst chilly, nothing too much to be concerned with.

Noticeable that there was still plenty of traffic about, in the Town suburbs and indeed some of the lanes, for a good proportion of the ride........

After meeting up and a quick chat, we set off through Meole village, then onto the busy road to Hook-a-Gate and Annscroft. Noticeable how much more room the cars were giving us though, in the dark, which was good to see.

We then turned onto lanes through Exfords Green and Stapleton, having to squeeze into the side, on the narrowest section, for an Ambulance to come past us. No blues and two’s on, but they didn’t seem keen on stopping to wait for us to come through, so I guess they were loaded up.

Went past, but didn’t stop at, Dad’s, as that would have been breaking the Lockdown rules on the first day. We in a bubble but Doug obviously isn’t.

It was much quieter through Gonsal, Condover and along Lyons Lane, to Betton Abbots, where traffic picked up again, along with the Fireworks, which had been sporadic for most of the ride. We were approaching Shrewsbury now, with more people having their own garden displays and indeed we passed a garden party where there was a bonfire lit and fireworks being let off, not far from home.

We parted ways at the traffic lights, on the estate junction and I arrived home with 14.9 miles on the clock, at a leisurely 11.3mph. Didn’t take it too fast, as Doug is still getting back into riding again and he did very well.

Top Bottom