Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Almost no time to ride today due to a lot of meetings and general admin but a lovely 40 mins out locally and again totally loving a ride with no wind, it makes so much of a difference and i now realise just how much more windy it is here in Windshire than anywhere else i've lived in my life the SW of England is colder wetter and more windy on a daily basis than anywhere i can think of, back in August we managed a club week away in Wales north to south tour and it was super wet but warm like 20c warm and zero wind, is Wessex cursed?

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
A ride out past Stamfordham and Black Heugh today- 16 miles- into a strong westerly wind at 12mph to get pushed back at 24mph!

ruffers

Veteran
Well I finally managed to get out on my bike!!!! It’s been way too long, with shifts, poor weather, and my son having to isolate (bubble at school).

I managed a sort of loop from bury to horwich and back.

The weather was clear and sunny but with a chilly breeze. I purchased some overshoes so these got a maiden voyage today too, was very impressed.

1604673774152.jpeg

1604673803478.jpeg

In total I rode 30.68 miles and definitely did too much. My legs are in bits.

Happy cycling everyone and stay safe. 🚴🏻‍♂️

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Day off today so out in the mist at Lunchtime for a ride to Wetherby via Aberford, Barwick, Thorner & Collingham. No cafe so sat on a bench near the town hall with my Cooplands meal deal, small bacon butty and a cappuccino for £2!!. Very Misty start but soon brightened up into a lovely afternoon.
28.6 miles with an average of 13.3 mph.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I was going to get up to Dartmoor today, but I couldn’t be bothered to put the bike on the car and drive.

Around the Warren! Blowing a hoolie with a headwind all the way. It was beautiful!
At the tea house I jumped back on the road to Battisborough, then for a little treat I went to Mothecombe beach. Cycling on soft sand.... what fun!

A sneak along the Flete Estate private drive along the river Erme , through Holbeton and home.

17 breezy miles

https://www.strava.com/activities/4296777743

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I rode over the Hill to meet Pete M in Colwall. Our route lead us by Coddington to Bosbury and Harbour Hill. At Ashperton we rounded to the Hereford road to turn for the climb up and over to Woolhope Cockshoot. We paused at the top for the wonderful views. Then on past the forestry work which has opened up some super views and changed the whole feel of this up ramp. Down at Canwood we admired the sculpture before looping to Woolhope and up the staircase to the Marcle Ridge where I dispatched my apple. We descended to Much Marcle to head homeward when Pete's rear tyre went down. Underway again we aimed for the southern end of the hills where our final chat took place at Bromsberrow as Pete headed back to Colwall and I took standard lanes home. At Guarlford I bumped into Bill D so had a chat on the little loop. Super sunny day today with little wind. Lovely. 53 smiles

Attachments

• P1010712.JPG
    P1010712.JPG
    263.2 KB · Views: 3
  • P1010713.JPG
    P1010713.JPG
    336.7 KB · Views: 2

theloafer

Legendary Member
first ride since sept .. just my usual loop 35 miles felt great to be out even if it was a tad :cold: .the off road section was wetter than i thought :laugh: but was able to walk the soggy bit just. had no choice coffee stop was ahead :whistle: .. had coffee and scone at Epplyby tearoom sitting alfresco of course. bike needed a good wash on my return ..good to see plenty of riders out ...all in pairs ^_^
https://www.strava.com/activities/4297851843

my ride buddy :laugh:

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
EBF11B39-4C07-46E2-ACB6-6FE1001B27D4.png

a.twiddler

Veteran
This should read, "my ride the day before yesterday" as I didn't get round to posting it.
To the town centre on the Revolution Country Explorer. First day of this year’s second lockdown, and finally the rain and wind have given up. Out for “daily exercise” and “essential supplies” from the pharmacy. Not so warm today, but I was well wrapped up. Both my Sigma bike computer and the vintage cyclometer have conked out so I have estimated the mileage. I was tempted to take the recumbent but it tends to attract attention when parked in town, hence the tourer.

A pleasant trundle to town, very little traffic or passers-by, so I could have got away with using the recumbent. Nevertheless, it was a reminder of what a nice bike this is to ride. I was in full pootling mode by the time I had done my errands so came back by a roundabout route. Regrettably, no camera today. I went down to the river to look at the wild fowl and spent some time soaking up the sights and sounds. As well as the usual suspects, eg coots, moorhens, assorted ducks and geese and numerous seabirds there were a few that I didn’t recognise. Seeing the geese reminded me that recently I had heard them flying at night, even though I couldn’t see them. You don’t think of them as being night birds.

After mooching around for a while I decided to cross back over the river and have a ride upstream along the track to the Yacht Club. As expected, everything was battened down so I continued as far as I could up the track to where it became the access to a farm, before turning round.

Looking at my map, I could see a restricted bridleway heading up the hill from Ways Green which the legend described as “prohibited to mechanically propelled vehicles”. I was intrigued by this, wondering if a bike was far enough below the threshold of being mechanically propelled so as not to be prohibited. On the way to the turn off point I passed a middle aged woman walking along the road. She gave me a skeptical look, then after I missed the turn off and turned back to look for it she gave me an even more skeptical look. Was this cyclist up to no good? Was he casing some joint for a future nefarious deed? I found the point marked on the map. There was a gate to a field with a distinctly pedestrian sized swing gate alongside. There was a footpath sized track through the field, disappearing into a distant dip and climbing to a similar gate and swing gate about a mile away, with St. Chad’s Church visible not far beyond. I knew there was a paved lane from St Chad’s Church to Swanlow Lane. I didn’t know what was in the dip. After all the rain recently it could be a swampy morass. It would be difficult to get my bike through the swing gate. How would you squeeze a horse through? I visualised a lot of whinnying and snorting. Maybe a run up and a graceful jump over the gate. Maybe I'd misread the map. I mentally filed this route away for a dry spell, and a trip on my folder. It weighs hardly anything so would be easy to lift over the gates.

I continued on my way. I passed the skeptical woman again. I don’t know if she gave me a skeptical look this time as she was going in the same direction as myself. Maybe she was on her mobile to the fuzz at that very moment -”’ee’s passed me three times now, I’m sure ‘ee’s up to no good!” Perhaps she just looks like that anyway. I felt her skeptical gaze making the space between my shoulder blades itch as I rode on.

Soon afterwards I came across an unusual black and white dog trotting unattended along the pavement. It looked like a greyhound but it was enormous. Perhaps there was some Great Dane in there somewhere. I felt a bit apprehensive as I came level with it but it just looked at me and yawned. So it’s official then. I’m boring! Still, better boring and unmunched than otherwise.

Continuing along Ways Green, turned up Gladstone St. ascending the gradually steepening hill to the summit on Townfields Road. I got up without feeling that I was exerting myself particularly, and noted that I was changing down and spinning more easily than I remembered. It could be that these recent months of recumbent riding have improved my ability to spin, an unexpected benefit.

I reached the traffic lights at Swanlow Lane and turned along it. Home after about 7 miles, a short but enjoyable ride.

a.twiddler

Veteran
Yesterday's ride.
The garden chair rides again! Today, still cool but with sunny spells. I was well wrapped up, with my winter beany hat with peak, shades and clip on mirror. Left it a bit late really, starting at 2:30 but wanted to get out on the LWB recumbent anyway . I had a route planned out to get back before it got too dark. Second day of lockdown II, was going to be a quick traffic free trip. After my ride on the tourer yesterday I was surprised how long the cranks seemed to be but I think they’re the same lengths, it’s just the horizontal pedalling action. I read recently of recumbent riding being described as “playing a trombone with your feet” and that’s the way it felt till I settled back into it after rolling to the end of the street.

I set off along Swanlow Lane, got through the uphill traffic lights with no problems and continued to the roundabout on the A54. I was taken aback by the amount of traffic that was queueing there. Still, good practice starting and stopping. I went straight across and got stopped again in a queue of traffic. Primary school traffic. I finally got away from it but all along the road to Sandiway yet more traffic regularly passed in both directions.

Straight through the lights at Sandiway, turn right on to Weaverham Road, straight on at the crossroads, over the railway bridge then down the loong hill (managed about 25mph) to another traffic queue. My hope of a traffic free lockdown ride had been rather dented by now.

I got across to Gorstage Lane, passed under a railway bridge then climbed up to the T junction with Forest St, turned left then right on to West Road. I trundled through this pleasant part of Weaverham until I was able to swoop downhill on Sandy Lane to the T junction with the A49, reaching a max speed of 30.6 mph. My original route plan had been to turn left on to the A49 and trundle up the hill to the A556, then to Sandiway. The unexpectedly busy traffic made that prospect unpleasant so after peering at the map I retraced my route back up Sandy Lane and West Road and turned left into Forest St towards the centre of Weaverham. I turned right into Lime Avenue, passing a school and a large housing estate before turning right at the TJ with Northwich Rd. There had been little traffic through Weaverham but on reaching Hartford it was congested again.

I waited behind traffic at some lights to turn right over the railway bridge and came across more traffic and schoolkids pouring out of the Grange School. I just accepted that this was going to take some time but it was all manageable. Not what I would have chosen, but today wasn’t turning out the way I’d planned so I just went with the flow. I compared the way I dealt with this with the anxiety I felt on first riding this bike in traffic only a few months ago and felt I had made a lot of progress.

Straight across Hartford lights eventually and then over the A556 on to the cycle path on the other side. It was just as well I knew where it was, as it was completely obliterated by leaves. I slipped and slithered down to Hartford bridge then turned right to a lane just before it. The light was beginning to fade so I was going to take this short cut to try to get home before dark. The lane was pot holed and muddy in places, and strewn with leaves so needing some concentration. I stopped to swap my shades for my ordinary specs and took a couple of photos. The fallen leaves are certainly rich and plentiful this year. The pictures show the part of the lane before I reached the mud and potholes.

I passed a couple of dog walkers. One of them said, “you look very comfortable there”. I replied that I would stay comfortable if I could avoid sliding off!

On the stretch before Vale Royal Golf Course there is an A frame barrier which I got through without trouble. At the entrance to the (closed) golf course there is a swinging gate which is wide enough for a normal bike. I stood the Linear on its back wheel, swung the gate and dropped the front end down. I followed the road through the golf course then on to an uphill path through a wood. Again the path was covered with wet leaves and quite slippery. On to a road through a small estate where I stopped to put the lights on. Initially the front light wouldn’t come on but after giving it a tap it came on and stayed on. Out on to Mill Lane, turned right downhill for a short stretch then left into the bottom end of Grange Lane. After passing some houses the lane narrows to the width of a footpath and passes through a wood. Getting rather dark in there but the surface was not too wet, muddy or leafy so I was optimistic that the rest of the lane would be easily passable. I did notice that the steering was a bit imprecise but I put it down to the surface.

I came out to the spot where the lane widens again and immediately found myself struggling with wet mud and tractor tyre tracks. I pedalled on through this but eventually came to a halt in another patch of mud. I had to get off and push here but the lane got drier as it began to slope upwards so I was able to ride again. I noticed that the steering definitely had a wobble to it by now, the underseat steering bar had up and down play at the ends. I put my fingers under the seat and sure enough the pivot bolt had become loose. I pedalled on to a suitable spot to stop and undid the quick releases on the front of the seat and on the rear seat stays so I could fold it forward. I managed to find my multi tool in the diminishing light and tightened up the steering pivot bolt. I stuck it in my jacket pocket just in case I needed it again quickly. I looked up, and over the hedge, backlit by a glowing red sky was the silhouette of a perfectly symmetrical tree (possibly a beech) on the distant horizon of the adjacent field. However it was getting dark now and I was in no mood to be taking pictures. After a bit of fumbling I got the rear seat stays fastened, tightened the seat quick release, adjusted the front light and gingerly pedalled the rest of the rapidly-darkening still-muddy lane.

Back on the lit roads I made better progress. It was completely dark by this time. Through the sports complex, through the fateful uphill A frame where I fell off into a patch of nettles last time. Out into an estate, over the A54 to Swanlow lane and home. 20.1 miles, max speed 30.6 mph, average 8.6 mph. Definitely need to fit the spare rechargeable light or just get a better light! When I tried to turn the front light off, it stayed on until I gave it a couple of taps. Every ride is an adventure on this bike, no need to make life even more exciting with dodgy lights.

An observation on Under Seat Steering. Although I haven’t done an immense amount of winter cycling on it, wearing just my summer track mitts, my hands stayed warm today whereas on my upright they would definitely have been chilly. Arms hanging down helping circulation? Airflow round the seat not passing round the hands? By the end of winter I should be able to give a definitive verdict.

Not so many cyclists today. I was passed by three road type cyclists and by one coming the other way who raised his hand. They are probably the hard core who would ride no matter what. A pity that the "coronacyclists" have not been able to keep up their numbers but if traffic is going to remain at today's levels I'm not surprised they're intimidated. Even with the "force field" which a recumbent generates to make traffic pass wider it wasn't particularly pleasant at times.

colly

Re member eR
I started with good intent. A longer trip was planned to take in Menston, Ilkley, Blubberhouses, Fewston maybe Harrogate and if I felt the force was with me even Knaresborough and Wetherby.
I got 4.6miles in.............................and the chain parted company with itself.:cursing: A new chainring, new cassette and new chain. Clearly my skills with a chain fitting tool were not up to the job. Naturally I had a magic link in my saddle pack...well you would think so wouldn't you? But no I took a chance and went out knowing I didn't and I paid the price.
By the time I had walked back home, went and got a link and fitted it enthusiasm had evaporated and I thought.......Bugger it, I'll go out in the morning instead.

Oh and I might just have spotted @Old jon passing me on the other side of the road across Soldiers Field.

4.6 miles and 350ft of up.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/34602354

Landsurfer

Veteran
Today ... heavy mist and forecast to be about for the morning ... so no roads for me, ... to the Canal !!!

Ahh ! That mountainous climb....

Chantry bridge in Rotherham .... in the mist .....

And here's the thing ..... approaching me while I took a drink was a woman cycling .... huffing and puffing as she came up the incline towards me.
"Thats a long hill, i'm puffed " she says ..
"Take the mask off" i suggested ..
" Don't be stupid " she says ..... Me stupid ... cycling in the great outdoors with a mask on ...new level of stupid !!

Last edited:

Old jon

Guru
Oh and I might just have spotted @Old jon passing me on the other side of the road across Soldiers Field.

You may indeed have spotted me, about 11:30 travelling towards the Clock. On the Bob Jackson, which is blue. And oddly has new (100 miles old) wheels, cassette and chain . . .

Bet that's jinxed me now. Anyway, my ride today :--

It was Brrr! Shiver!! Cold!!! out there this morning, or maybe I was feeling a bit less than eager. Take a bike outside and I know I will soon warm up so me and Bob (Jackson) took ourselves off.

No definite route in mind today, north and, wait a bit, west were decided on just in time to turn off Water Lane to the canal towpath. Viaduct Road, Cardigan Road and the legs are complaining by the time I reach Headingley. More up to Lawnswood and I stayed on the A660, ‘cos it’s easier, all the way to the Dyneley Arms.

A proper whizz down Pool Bank, little traffic about at all. But oddly, when there was traffic it was half a dozen or more together. Anyway, I crossed the Wharfe at Pool and two left turns later I crossed the Washburn. Ready for the climb up to Farnley. Which was no more difficult than usual.

Down to Otley and a munch beside the river before starting the return journey. Leeds Road rather than Creskeld Lane, so back through Bramhope and turn left up Kings Road. Turn left at the top and almost immediately right, a usually quiet road which passes Black Hill Farm on the way to Eccup Lane.

Turn left to go to, inevitably, Eccup. The map is a bit ambiguous about the next bit, to the reservoir. A red dashed line is a bridleway, no problem. When it is paralleled on either side by the pair of lines that indicate ‘road, generally less than 4 metres wide’? Ah well, whatever it is, I rode along it. And busy it was.

Reach Harrogate Road after a bit of a climb away from the reservoir, and turn right to head for home. Traffic still light, Street Lane at any time is busy but not for the few minutes it took me today. The clock at Oakwood, then the last five miles home from there added up to a grin for thirty four miles and a bit more than 1800 feet by the time I reached home. Cold and happy.

This way please,

07112020.jpg

0711elev.jpg

geocycle

Legendary Member
A day of mists and mellow fruitfulness. Lights winds and some sunshine so rode into Bowland. Up to Cross ‘o’ Greet at 438 masl took me from sun at sea level to mist and a nagging easterly wind on the tops. Had a picnic then descended to Slaidburn and Dunsop Bridge. Both were surprisingly busy with cyclists and motorists. Puddle Ducks was doing take away so indulged in Sausage roll and flapjack. That fortified me for the climb over the Trough and homeward. Pleased with 50 miles and 1400m of climbing, not bad for November.

Picture is looking down the gorgeous Hodder Valley.

Last edited:
Top Bottom