Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I brought the weather with me from Dartmoor yesterday! Gloomy, warm and mucky with the odd hint of blue sky, but no sun.

My legs get a bit tired on the mountain bike and they felt sluggish today after rides on previous days. I resisted the temptation of the coast path for a change and stuck mostly to roads. I was off road for about a mile and a half. I saw the most polite sign, a sheep who’d done an enormous poo, crows on wires and the Carswell cows ready for milking.
16.5 miles. Bike cleaned again!

Last edited:

ruffers

Veteran
Having been keeping a close eye on the forecasts for a while I'd settled on which day to do my next challenge ride when Lockdown 2: Electric Boogaloo got announced, starting on the very day I was intending to go out.:dry:

Call me selfish if you wish, but at this stage of the year I wasn't willing to concede defeat, nor to wait in hope so a new plan was needed. I came up with a route that stayed in my local area (within a 12 mile radius of home seemed fair) and avoided the larger towns and any border crossings. That sorted I headed out for my usual early start yesterday morning, using the knockabout bike this time.

It was misty and cold at the start with barely a breath of wind and a faint smell of fresh tarmac drifting around from the nearby stone quarry. I set off into the pre-dawn, finding that the A49 was very quiet but not empty. I headed through Condover towards Wheathall and Berriewood before swinging back towards Condover to head around very familiar roads to Kingstreet, Berrington, Cross Houses, Cound, Harnage, Cound Moor and Acton Burnell. There was some traffic about and the odd person walking or running but otherwise pretty quiet. The sun sneaked up without me noticing until it was well above the horizon due to it being obscured by the mist and cloud. Views of the countryside were similarly obscured.

Reaching Acton Burnell I turned south heading for the Folly Bank climb and Cardington. A pause for my second breakfast was taken en route at the Longnor crossroads where I was surprised at how many vehicles passed in the short time I was stopped, including the first cyclists I'd seen this morning. Only the cyclists were headed in my direction at this point though (and they were much faster than me) so I had the lanes mostly to myself into a foggy Cardington. No photo stops here this time but I carried on towards Longville. Rounding a corner by Church Preen School I was confronted by a herd of cattle being driven towards me. Just as well I was turning off for Hughley at this junction anyway.

I started to struggle a bit on the way towards Harley which made me worried about completing the route but found if I went down a gear and took it a bit easier it was managable, then on the next climb out of Cressage towards Eaton Constantine I started off feeling very sluggish but the legs started feeling better as the climb went on. I did even start to catch a couple of riders ahead ^_^.... until they looked back, saw me and put on a fresh spurt. There were lots of cyclists about on this bit of road, most seemingly heading to ride around the Wrekin which I was turning away from now; to Uppington and via Bluebell Lane (not as pretty as it sounds) to Walcot before turning off to Withington. It took a couple of tries here to find a sufficiently isolated gateway to have another snack stop and open the flask of coffee.

Refreshed I pressed on to Rodington Heath and a little detour to see how the repairs at Ercall Mill Bridge were going - they are finished and the bridge is open again which is good to know for next time I head that way. I turned away from the bridge for Roden and apart from a pair of cyclists ahead and a couple of cars heading in the opposite direction, enjoyed an almost empty road until I turned off towards Poynton Green. I followed the marked cycle route for a bit to Bings Heath and Eburywood then turned for Astley, Hadnall, Plex, and Harmer Hill which was all very pleasant uneventful riding. At Harmer Hill I was flagging again a bit so wasn't looking forward to the climb I knew was coming at Myddle. Pulling into a junction with the intention of having a look at the map I was greeted by a couple of farmers (with the broadest Shropshire accents that I've heard in a while) who asked if I knew where I was going. Their advice "You don't want to go that way (to Myddle), we've just cut the hedge, you'll get a puncture" persuaded me to try a lane I haven't ridden before and I tried going left towards Merrington, which turns out to be a nicer way of approacing that village than the way I usually go.

Old Woods, Walford Heath and Yeaton followed and I took a break for lunch in another suitable gateway before carrying on towards Baschurch then onto the road to Great Ness and Pentre. When planning this route I didn't really know if the distance would be sufficient, but around the Pentre area I started to realise that I'd actually underestimated how far it was by quite a way. By the time I'd done the loop around Kinnerley, Argoed, Melverley and the Royal Hill it looked certain that I could afford to head back a much shorter way than I'd originally had in mind, which was very welcome news for my tired legs. I returned to Little Ness and took an alternative way to Grafton and Yeaton. Another snack stop was taken between Old Woods and Merrington then I retraced my steps to Harmer Hill, Plex, Hadnall, and Astley. Finding the A53 nice and quiet I cut the corner to Bings Heath and rejoined the lanes to Roden, then at Rodington Heath I took a right then a left onto Drury Lane, which I've never ridden before, as I cut the corner to Upton Magna.

The sun had set somewhere around Rodington and by the time I got to Atcham it was getting properly dark. On the run through Cross Houses, Berrington and back to Condover it seems not everyone remembers to dip their lights when the oncoming traffic is only a cyclist.:angry: The legs had felt better than expected on the last few climbs but I couldn't claim to be any kind of speed-demon on the flat by this point.

107.9 miles at the end of the day with a 12.2 mph moving average. 10 hours 35 minutes with all the stops included. Social distancing was easily achieved as so much of it was on quiet lanes and all done within the 12 mile radius I'd set myself.^_^

View attachment 557070
The sun breaks through the mist and cloud at Berrington.

View attachment 557071
Ready for Remembrance Sunday at Acton Burnell.

View attachment 557072
Climbing into the cloud at the top of Folly Bank.

View attachment 557073
Jumping on, the sun has made an appearance in the middle of the ride. Taken near Plex.

View attachment 557074
A pause at Yeaton.

View attachment 557075
On my way round towards Melverley.

View attachment 557076
Signs of recent flooding near Cae Howell.

View attachment 557077
Sad to see no customers at The Royal Hill once again.

View attachment 557078
I didn't see the A5 as quiet as this during the last lockdown.:ohmy:

View attachment 557079
Passing through Yeaton again on the return leg as the sunshine makes a last bid to break through.

Now that’s a write up

AndreaJ

Veteran
As the weather forecast predicted it was raining this morning although fairly mild and still no wind, I would rather ride in the rain than the wind so with my Goretex jacket, which my daughter describes as a very expensive bin bag! I set off to Nonely, over to Myddle up the hill before turning down Lower Road to Merrington, Old Woods where I turned to Eyton passing the schools into Baschurch, Stanwardine, Bagley, Hordley, Tetchill past Ellesmere College and over the canal into Ellesmere where the one way system takes you through the town, passing the Mere up Swan Hill to Coptiviney the lane into Welshampton was as muddy as ever with extra potholes appearing, turned by the church in Welshampton to Lyneal going the opposite way round Colemere to yesterday. The car park at Colemere was very busy and there were lots of people walking round Colemere, carried on back to Lyneal passing the caravan site back to Northwood where I turn for home. There were lots of people out again despite the rain and lots of people gardening in the rain. 35.65 wet, muddy miles which means the bike needs cleaning again but more rain forecast tomorrow so didn’t bother.

colly

Re member eR
Up and out for 7.45am with a maximum of 3 hours to get in a ride before Mrs Colly and I had to be off out.
Well it was a dull day. Gloomy in fact, a typical November day. Little traffic anywhere because anyone with any common sense would still be tucked up in a nice warm bed. Better yet tucked up in a nice warm bed with a nice warm Mrs (or Mr).
So taking the opportunity I went over roads I would normally avoid like the plague (topical huh??) I scooted right around the ring road all the way to the Rodley Roundabout. Wet filthy mucky roads :sad: was the order of the day and I guess the ring road is about as mucky as they get. I turned right at Rodley and plodded up through Calverley, on through Greengates and Idle. ( home of the famous Idle working mans club and the Idle Youth Club) Into Shipley and then right towards Ilkley. For a brief moment I contemplated turning up towards Shipley Glen and Baildon but instead I pressed straight on and made towards Guiseley. The road up past Esholt seems endless, especially on a crappy day like today. There is not much to inspire the imagination it just grinds relentlessly up and up, a long dreary drag. Surprisingly it peaks at 9.5%, I thought it was less than that.
Through Guiseley and up past Abraham Moon Ltd into the mist and
the tail end of Otley Chevin.
It's a push up the back of The Chevin, not desperately steep but it's relentless, so much so a guy on a mountain bike wobbled to a standstill just as I caught up with him. Not sure he appreciated the cheery 'Good morning' I offered him.
Once over the top it was a downhill through Bramhope, and familiar roads back home.
I got home in good time, wet and filthy, but I enjoyed the ride nonetheless.
Upon loading all the gubbins from the Garmin I find some of the data is either not collected, disappeared or maybe hiding. The last 13 miles or so are shown as an almost straight line elevation wise, also some bizarre spikes in speed. Maybe it's on the way out. I wouldn't be surprised tbh I have had it for almost 10 years and it was bought off a fellow forumer so it has been around in all weathers for quite some time. Maybe it needs an update but I did one a few weeks ago.
Edit: I just checked the ride profile on Strava and it seems more like the real roads.

So the ride was 33.2 miles and according to Strava at least 2236ft of up.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/58767895

Last edited:

C R

Guru
I woke up last Sunday morning fully intending to go for a ride, until I heard the noise of the wind in the garden, and I decided to turn and go back to sleep.

The forecast for today was grey and possibly wet, but mild, and more importantly no wind. Plan was to head in the general direction of Tewkesbury, and decide on the route back based on what the weather was like.

Out at twenty past six, still completely dark, but dry, though the roads were wet here and there. Not much traffic going through Kempsey, and by the time I reached the turn for Kerswell Green I had seen only a couple of cars.

A dull grey dawn was starting to come through now, and by the time I made it to Baughton I could see along the road without my lights.

Pressed on past Hill Croome church and the back of the motorway services, hoping to get as many miles as possible in before it started to rain. Past Upper Strensham, over the M50, which was totally empty, and down past the white rabbit got me quickly to Twynning, and from there Tewkesbury was just round the corner after a blast down The Mythe.

Next was Bredon, and as the rain wasn't materialising, I decided to extend the ride round the hill, via Beckford and Elmley Castle. I saw a few cyclists along this stretch, but I don't think there was a single car.

After Elmley Castle came Pershore, where I stopped for a bit of a rest by the old bridge, where I took the only picture of the day.
IMG_20201108_083930565.jpg

I didn't fancy going up Holloway today, so I decided to go up towards Pinvin and take the ford route to Drakes Broughton, and from there the standard Wadborough Littleworth route back.

Got home dry, with another 68km in the bag.

The map
Screenshot_20201108-231415~2.png

Old jon

Guru
‘Oh fiddle! I have to go forth on the fixed in the fog!’ Is almost what I said when I looked out of the bedroom window this morning. After twenty or so miles of pedalling, I found those words in a dusty corner of my brain. The originals had more effs.

It was mist really, and until about ten thirty or so it hid the view to each side of the road. Otherwise no problem. Ride to the Oakwood Clock, and bravely (spelt s t u p I d l y) decided to ride up Boot Hill. Thought I needed the exercise, if any thought at all was involved. That is the A58, traffic was light, so all the way through Scarcroft, Bardsey and Collingham to Wetherby.

Between those last two the road rises away from Wattle Syke, and for the first time in a while I could see the River Wharfe down below me, on my left. Most of the leaves have fallen. Through Wetherby, crossing that river, and leave on the B1224 in the direction of York. Which is much too far away for today’s ride, so after passing the racecourse take the next right for Walton.

Left turn, right turn and leave Walton, past Betty’s Hotel for villains. It is really called HMP summat made up. I prefer my title. On the way to Thorp Arch the road, which I think is Church Causeway, rises a bit and then passes a church, all alone, not another building in sight. And then the village.

Cannot say Boston Spa was bustling, but the road to Clifford and Clifford itself were very quiet indeed. A tightly parked motorist provided some entertainment in Bramham. I was unfairly creasing myself laughing for a minute or so, he only had about eighteen inches of back and forward available. And then the postman came back and drove his van away.

Ah well, on with the ride. Thorner, out by Sandhills. Any creaking noises were my knees, although I was tempted to stop and check. Back to the A58, the start of that long descent to Crown Point and the bridge over the Aire. And then home. Thirty six miles after starting put a smile there, seventeen hundred feet of up made the smile wider. A surprisingly enjoyable ride out.

The directions I rode,

09112020.jpg

0911elev.jpg

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
It was time to catch up with John B. So we met up in the Green and took to the standard run around the Ashleworth loop. The trees are super at the moment. The water levels on the Hams are just right for the large numbers of wildfowl arriving from the north. I was tiring towards the end so took the shorter route back from Brotheridge Green. Lovely ride with my old pal today. 46 smiles

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Now that’s a write up
Thanks. :shy:

Just a short wndow of opportunity today so I nipped out for a quick ride this morning. The route was out to Condover then to Gonsal, Stapleton, Longden (via Lower Common). Annscroft, Lyth Bank and back over Lyth Hill.

I set out with enthusiasm which ran out before the end of the road as my legs were still aching from Saturday and my situpon was sore.:blink: Things settled down to a more realistic gentle pace and I became thankful I wasn't planning to go further today.

In contrast to my last ride, the weather was quite mild but the roads were damp with a film of mud on them most of the way round so the bike has got dirtier on this short trip than it did on the century last time out.:ohmy: Other than that not really much to report. It was good to get out and the legs did loosen up as I went round but not until I was about halfway. A handful of other cyclists out making the most of the opportunity.

13.6 miles at 12 mph average.

The hills seem to be missing from this view near Stapleton.

At Stapleton Village Hall.

Today's view from Lyth Hill.

AndreaJ

Veteran
Although it wasn’t actually raining this morning everything was very wet but still no wind and warm enough to see several wasps flying round. Didn’t have a lot of spare time today so just a short ride, set off to Loppington and along to Tilley and Wem, this segment on strava called Loppington - Wem the mucky way which is a pretty accurate description, turned to Barkers Green and over the river Roden in Aston to come back into Wem by the cricket club, over the level crossing then up the Whitchurch Road to Creamore, Edstaston, down some lanes I hadn’t riden for a while into Whixall where for a change I turned down towards Whixall Moss and onto the canal towpath crossing the canal 3 times arriving back on the lane just past Dobsons Bridge and onto home. Still lots of people out walking. 17.4 miles and still muddy. Pictures from 2 of the bridges.
BD5079BE-A3A5-47AB-87FF-727DCB35CA67.jpeg

21BBF0DF-8CB4-4A80-8108-F9206AF9D3A6.jpeg

I took advantage of a pleasant dry autumn day and got a very enjoyable 44 miles completed. There was noticeably a big reduction in traffic due to Lockdown 2 compared to a couple of weeks ago when I rode parts of this route.

My ride took me through Milnrow, High Crompton, Royton, Chadderton, Charlestown, Boggart Hole Clough, Heaton Park, Prestwich, Radcliffe, Bury, Greenmount, Ramsbottom, Edenfield, Ashworth Rochdale and home to Littleborough.

Here are a couple of pics:

Boggart Hole Clough (Blakeley, North Manchester)
Believe it or not there is a completely tarmac wide track to the right of my bike but it's covered in a beautiful carpet of beech leaves.

The Kirklees Trail, a 3 miles off road track (former disused railway), between Bury and Greenmount

ruffers

Veteran
I took advantage of a pleasant dry autumn day and got a very enjoyable 44 miles completed. There was noticeably a big reduction in traffic due to Lockdown 2 compared to a couple of weeks ago when I rode parts of this route.

My ride took me through Milnrow, High Crompton, Royton, Chadderton, Charlestown, Boggart Hole Clough, Heaton Park, Prestwich, Radcliffe, Bury, Greenmount, Ramsbottom, Edenfield, Ashworth Rochdale and home to Littleborough.

Here are a couple of pics:

Boggart Hole Clough (Blakeley, North Manchester)
Believe it or not there is a completely tarmac wide track to the right of my bike but it's covered in a beautiful carpet of beech leaves.
View attachment 557394

The Kirklees Trail, a 3 miles off road track (former disused railway), between Bury and Greenmount
View attachment 557395
The Kirklees trail is my stomping ground, always looks different when someone else posts a picture. 👍🏻

The Kirklees trail is my stomping ground, always looks different when someone else posts a picture. 👍🏻
Yes, it's a super few miles on that track. The seat opposite the little cafe at Greenmount where the track meets the road is where I often stop to have a couple of packed up butties. I often continue on NCN 6 to Rawtenstall or Accrington. Lovely quiet tracks for that section too.

ruffers

Veteran
Yes, it's a super few miles on that track. The seat opposite the little cafe at Greenmount where the track meets the road is where I often stop to have a couple of packed up butties. I often continue on NCN 6 to Rawtenstall or Accrington. Lovely quiet tracks for that section too.

yes that is a lovely spot, the cafe is nice too if you ever fancy a coffee etc. I have never been on that part of the NCN 6, but I have heard it’s a lovely section.

Top Bottom