Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yes definitely, that would be good. When this pesky COVID pandemic is beaten we'll ride some local stretches together. There is a fabulous little spot a few miles past Ramsbottom at the hamlet of Irwell. It goes right by the East Lancs steam railway station there. Very scenic and peaceful.

ruffers

Veteran
Yes definitely, that would be good. When this pesky COVID pandemic is beaten we'll ride some local stretches together. There is a fabulous little spot a few miles past Ramsbottom at the hamlet of Irwell. It goes right by the East Lancs steam railway station there. Very scenic and peaceful.

sounds like a plan 👍🏻

ianbarton

Veteran
Taking advantage of today's good weather. My 41km circuit. I would have gone further, but all cafe stops are closed in the current lockdown. Lots of sheep from Wales down to finish off the grass. It seems the sheep can travel to/from Wales, but humans can't. I wonder how
they got here? There is still lots of mud on the road, although almost all the maize has been harvested. Hedge cutting in full flow. My Schwalbe Duranos are OK with everything except blackthorn. Now I have said that I am bound to get a puncture in the next few days!

10-11-20-A-bike-ride-in-Dodcott-cum-Wilkesley-England.png
IMG_20201110_134216.jpg
IMG_20201110_143310.jpg

Mike_P

Guru
Amazingly the sun made an appearance today that just managed to cover the lunch time ebike trip to and from Aldi. This time whilst I remembered to switch the Wahoo on before putting it the rucksack I completely forgot to stop it until sometime after 5pm by which time, whilst the resulting Strava upload was correct, the Wahoo itself had come up with some crazy readings.

gavgav

Guru
Met @Rickshaw Phil for a socially distanced ride, after the sort of rubbish day working, that makes you want to hand your notice in. A Fairly mild evening, but started out with a few spots of rain falling, which thankfully disappeared after the first mile or so.

I met Phil at the estate junction and we set off to Betton Abbots, then turned off at King Street crossroads and joined the lane to Condover. As we approached the narrow hill descent, we heard a large vehicle coming up behind us, just as a van came the other way, rather fast. As they negotiated each other, we pulled in ready to let the large vehicle through and indeed it was a tractor towing a tanker, so good decision made. As we descended the hill, we could see a car and another big vehicle approaching, which I remarked that I hoped wasn’t a hedge cutter.......it was! We had to pause whilst all vehicles negotiated each other and then picked our way along the rest of the way, to Condover, trying to avoid the thorns. Thankfully we did, on this occasion.

We continued on to Gonsal and then paused for a drink, before joining the Lane to Wheathall, waiting for 2 cars to come past. Normally never see traffic on that lane.....Next was the fast descent and steep climb up to Frodesley, complete with a car coming up very fast behind us, which we pulled in to let through, only for them to turn into the next house gateway. Ah well, better those sort are in front of you, on those lanes.

We then turned onto the slightly bigger roads to Acton Burnell, Pitchford, Cantlop and Betton Abbots, again, which, with the wind behind us, meant a pleasant cruising speed could be kept up. Almost collected something rodent like, along there, possibly rat or stoat, just missed it crossing the road in front of my wheel. The amount of traffic was just ridiculous though and I’d go as far as saying it was the busiest I’d ever seen the lanes and roads on this particular ride, some of which I ride on a lot. There is supposed to be a lockdown, for goodness sake:thumbsdown:

A much needed and enjoyable 18.3 miles, with the very pleasant company of Phil

KingswayRider

Über Member
Got to do a route on Saturday morning I've had in mind for a while...
I wanted to link with an Audax I rode with @Donger what seemed an eternity ago given the year we're having...but was only actually February. So, with an objective of passing through Ashton Keynes, I planned a route.
No photo's I'm afraid...that would require stopping.
Out of the door just after 7am, into chilly conditions...3 degrees as I left. Out through Haresfield & Stonehouse & onwards to Nailsworth, then climb up the A46 onto the top of the Cotswolds. Quiet lanes through Chavenage & across to Tetbury, then to Cherington & Culkerton, Minety & eventually Ashton Keynes, with a trip through Happyland (actual place & the wife loves the name & suggested we should move there).
Lockdown was definitely a benefit, with the roads remaining quiet as the morning continued.
Ashton Keynes marked the turning point for home, so I made my way up through Siddington & Cirencester, then Daglingworth & across to Sapperton. A steep climb (not listed as a climb by Garmin) acted as a warm up for the drag up to Bisley (accusing my inner self of extreme cruelty as I had 3 of the 4 main climbs of the route between 50 & 62 miles in). The final climb came leaving the Slad Valley into Stroud, but getting from Bisley down The Vatch was of more concern than the final climb. Cow muck & mud to start, the slithering progressed to leaf litter & algae under the trees as the descent steepened. Somehow got through the very tight double hairpin with a couple of front wheel twitches & a decent rear wheel sideways slide. Out into the open & the surface improves, but into a tight gravel covered corner I meet an oncoming car & have a big rear lock-up, although it helped me slot the bike cleanly down the inside of the car. Up the climb, drop into Stroud & it should be a straightforward run back to home...but I had an incredibly close "close-pass" as I came through Ebley. Loads of room as the road is wide & there was no oncoming traffic, but the old guy in the car came by so close that I could have touched the car simply by extending my little finger, whilst keeping my hand on the bars. I doubt he even seen me judging from his progress up the road.
Back into Kingsway with 75.5 miles & 1023m of ascent at a steady 15.5mph...with plenty of time to complete the gardening I'd promised to do.

C R

Guru
With the children at school and me still working from home full time I am getting lots of chances for lunchtime rides. Today was the 13 mile Pirton/Croome/Wadborough loop. Out into the wind, so tailwind for the second half.

Croome looked very busy, which surprised me, as I thought they would have closed with the lockdown.

Loads of cyclists out, many more than this time last year.

Great fun and gets me ready for the afternoon skypes.

footloose crow

Über Member
10 Nov. Sunshine, showers and dirty lanes

The secret to getting out of the house early is to pack the bike - and the sandwiches - the evening before. I realise this is obvious but I have just come to it. It means 30 minutes after eye opening, I am front door opening and confident I have everything I need. The forecast is full sun but it rains as I hustle along the first lane, mud spraying from the gaps in the mudguards. Far to the west blue sky is visible so I put up with damp sleeves and shoulders for the first half hour. I tell myself to take it slowly, enjoy the ride. I do not seem to have regained the stamina I had in the lockdown summer. I hope this is not ageing. I turn my mind away from such thoughts, convince myself I have the body of a 20 year old but the body is not convinced. So grind, puff, grind, puff up the hill then.

Down the other side through beech woods, copper bright in the slanting November light, leaves spinning in my wake and on through sleepy Coombe, corona-quiet as if a pandemic has kept everyone indoors. St Stephen arrives and departs beneath my turning wheels and its puff, grind, puff, grind up the long hill over the Cornish Alps. I am in the South Wales valleys now, rows of terraced houses, broken vehicles, abandoned industrial buildings, fenced off areas with dire warnings about trespassing that hang forlornly next to gaping holes in the mesh. Only this part of Cornwall is actually poorer than the Welsh valleys. No more EU funding either for us although the Prime Minister has made one of his special promises that HM Government will make up the shortfall. Maybe.

Along a high ridge and to my left I can see across the wide valley to Castle Dinas, an Iron Age fort that still dominates the whole region although it has no impact on the traffic on the A30 far below it, long lines of busy ants taking stuff from one place to another. The light is dramatic, huge black clouds boiling up from the west but the sun is still in the clear although low in the sky. Pillars of light lie across the hills and the air sparkles where light rain is falling in the distance.

Mainly downhill from here for miles, dropping into the hidden, wood lined valleys south of the river Camel, streams running alongside the road moving the rain water down to the sea. I pass old granite houses sinking slowly back into the ground from which they emerged. I read recently that many of the farms in Cornwall are built on the remains of Iron Age and Bronze Age farms; those granite walled fields are older than the pyramids, the foundations of the houses have been in place almost since the Ice Age ended.

Now comes ten miles of the Camel Trail and it is particularly gritty and puddled today and quite busy with people walking. I slow down to pass, weaving carefully between groups, waving my thanks. It feels a long way to Padstow at this stop go pace and even the views across the Camel estuary are insufficient to distract me from just wanting to get this bit done.

On the Camel Trail looking across to Padstow, still three miles away.

Then it's a saw edge journey, across the grain of the land, up, down, up, down. Quiet lanes that twist and double back on themselves, grass growing up the centre line, mud now plastering my legs, puddles that almost reach the bottom bracket. Dirty lanes. Mud washed, leaf filled, greasy and damp.

The Wahoo says go down here and so I do.

I pop out of rurality and endless fields and small woods into the industrial village of Indian Queens, a long straggling line of warehouses, small factories and car workshops all attracted by the proximity of the A30, Cornwall's motorway. It has two lanes on each side and a MacDonalds drive-thru! On, on, legs spinning and ignoring the scrape of tyres under the mud caked mudguards. I know this next section well and the road rolls beneath me, each hill slowing me more until the final hill requires an all out assault by my aching legs.

Home arrives after five hours on the bike The dirty bike can wait for it's clean. I make a protein shake first as I have eaten too little today and am beginning to tremble, standing in the kitchen with my overshoes rolled up to my calves and a debris trail of mud around me. The cat opens one eye and looks disapproving. I promise the cat I will clean the floor as well as the bike later on. These rides are not getting any easier.

Screenshot 2020-11-10 at 22.05.37.png

Old jon

Guru
No mist! Maybe blue sky over there. And the promise of a temperature in double figures. Maybe. I believed and took the Spa out for a ride.

A bit of thought about the route before I even started. All too often I make it up as it arrives in front of me, the same old. And aye, some bits have to repeat. So Oakwood and it’s clock are about five miles from home, but longer in one direction than the other. Geography is marvellous. Turn left at the clock to the old tram depot, which was always younger than the park it is next to. The land that makes the park was bought in1871. The electric tram arrived twenty years later. I bet there were three of them.

Much later still, I rode past the lot onto Street Lane on the way to Slaid Hill. Take Wike Ridge Lane, ride through the name changes to East Keswick and then the A659. Cross the Wharfe, it is the easy way to reach Linton and ride out of the village on Northgate Lane. This leads to Sicklinghall Road, turn left to ride to that place. After a few houses there is a right turn onto Stockeld Lane, which has a couple of ‘No Entry’ signs that explain it is a private driveway. I rode along it anyway.

Through a bit of woodland, and a field and then Stockeld Park and the A661. Turn right to pedal to Wetherby and notice I have lost the tailwind. Out of there on the A58 to Collingham, but turn left on the outskirts to ride, and gasp and groan, up Jewitt Lane. This was well populated with pedestrians today, all going downhill. I turned right onto Compton Lane, happy to have reached the top and one of my favourite roads around here.

Straightforward riding, after Rigton Green, Milner Lane eventually and I realised I have ridden through Thorner rather often just lately. So bear right onto a Thorner Lane. Which goes to Scarcroft. Cross the A58 there and ride up by the golf course and take the next left afterwards. Past the bottom of Shadwell Main Street, along Coal Road and recross the A58, I must be following a knitting pattern.

Back to Wetherby Road, down Boot Hill to the other side of Roundhay Park and complete the loop by passing the Oakwood Clock again. Home, via the edge of town, thirty eight miles to smile about and 2474 feet to wear out the legs. Happy rider.

Still impresses me

11112020.jpg

1111elev.jpg

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Jules H was there as I rolled up to the Pot. It was a grey start but at least we had the wind assisting us as we took Kinnersley Bank in our stride. Deerfold wood was lovely in autumnal colours. We had some roadworks to dodge to get to the ford at Pinvin. We made good time to Bishampton before our first Lench. Rous Lench took us to Ab Lench before a climb to Church Lench. It was too early for lunch at a Lench but we had a look in the church anyway. Then we climbed to Atch Lench before taking in Sheriff's Lench. On a whim we headed back to Bishampton and on to Abberton where a lovely spot was found for our sarnies in the churchyard. The trees here were in stunning seasonal colours. A raven gave his approval too. Flyford Flavell allowed us to begin the run back by the ford at Naunton Beauchamp to the ford at Pinvin. The roadworks had progressed as we passed for a second time. To keep things fresh it was the run to Besford and then Defford before the usual run homeward. Lovely ride out today with some super seasonal colour. 64 smiles

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Only my second ride in just over a fortnight today, but all was well at home, so I was able to get out for a cheeky thirty miler. Ambled via Hardwicke, Standish, Whitminster, Frampton, Arlingham and Epney before picking up my pace to keep up with an e-bike for the last three miles. The weather was a bit dull, but it was nice to get out at last.

I believe that steep little descent at the Vatch, near Slad, that @KingswayRider referred to above is where a clubmate's inner tube exploded a few years back. I recall the two tight little hairpins in the woods, where my fingers were white with the effort of gripping my brakes to little effect. When I finally managed to skid to a stop near the bottom we were all convinced some a***hole just the other side of the hedge had just discharged a shotgun. A couple of us almost dived for cover it was so loud. Turns out Rob, (another large lad), had also been braking for his life, to the point where his wheel rims overheated and exploded his inner tube just as he pulled up behind us. He then proceeded to burn his hand trying to change the tube! To this day I call him "Shotgun Rob". But I digress. Nice and quiet out there today.

Cheers, Donger.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Yesterday: I got out for the ride @gavgav has already written up. Not much to add to that really: I too was surprised by the amount of traffic down the lanes - lockdown, what lockdown? Other than that it was a pretty pleasant outing in good company. I probably ought to do more rides after dark when the weather is decent.

23.3 miles by the time I got home at 12.1 mph average

Today: I had hoped to do a ride in the company of my brother, however he looked at the threatening clouds and how windy it was and decided to give it a miss

I went out out anyway and feeling indecisive about a route ended up going over Lyth Hill to Annscroft and bimbling around the lanes, taking in Exford's Green, the long way to Lower Common, Oaks, Broom Hill, Pulverbatch, Longden Common, Longden, Annscroft again and retracing my steps over Lyth Hill.

The standard of driving close to home didn't seem brilliant today but was better on the quieter roads. The wind was the main issue today and I was very slow on the bits that were into the wind. Doug probably made the right choice as I doubt he'd have enjoyed that bit very much. I did toy with the idea of heading to Stapleton and taking the road to Moat and Church Pulverbatch, however carrying on riding into the wind put me off and so did the tractor I could see a little way ahead, spreading slurry just upwind of the road.:headshake:

The climb up to Oaks was much as it usually is and I did my bit for good relations by letting a farmer on a quad out onto the lane (through a really tight gap in the hedge). I wasn't going to do the climb of Broom Hill this time but changed my mind as I reached the junction and wound my way up the hill. At the next junction I started to regret the decision as the hedges had been cut and a little further down the road I came up behind the tractor doing the cutting. I was able to get past as they were just coming up to a gateway, then shortly afterI needed to squeeze into the hedge to pass a large wagon plus trailer, all loaded up with sheep, then a Land Rover - I expect they all had fun when they met the tractor.:whistle:

At Pulverbatch I headed back along the main road which is downhill with the wind behind me so I could carry a bit of speed to Longden. Annscroft was a bit stop-start as a school bus was doing some drops in the village so I kept catching up, then it was a plod back up the hill to head for home.

20.1 miles this time at 11.4 mph average.

On the way to Oaks.

Looking back towards Lyth Hill from the top of the Broom Hill climb.

Looking towards Eastridge Woods.

ianbarton

Veteran
Hedge cutting in full flow. My Schwalbe Duranos are OK with everything except blackthorn. Now I have said that I am bound to get a puncture in the next few days!
Prophesy came true today! Same route and I got a puncture. Luckily it was in my front tyre. A thorn embedded in the tyre. I managed to stab my finger prying it out of the tread with a knife! First puncture since 2018.

Last edited:

gavgav

Guru
Keeping the motivation for Lockdown evening rides going, with another post working jaunt.

Still not too cold and less windy than the Met Office were suggesting it would be, but I was heading into it for the first 5 miles, through Hook-a-Gate and Annscroft. Lots of traffic on that road again, including 1 approaching, who had lost his dip beam......!

Turned through Exfords Green and along to Stapleton, calling at Dad’s for a bubble chat. Back out through Gonsal and Condover, along Lyons Lane, to King Street and Betton Abbots, then home. Wind behind me, helped to get a decent speed up for the second half of the ride, as well.

14.98 miles at 12.5mph avg

The plan:
Breakfast.
Bolognese, as in write shopping list for ingredients.
Bread, as in make dough and put up to prove.
BIKE!
First ride for, lo, these many weeks.
Busy out there, plenty of walkers and cyclists about. Wanted to get 15 miles done as that tops 550 miles for the year. Doubt I'll make 600, but if the weather permits, who knows?
Very mucky, lots of wet leaves, so was properly cautious a lot of the time. Wet leaves. Scary. Bike will need a good clean!
Big plus: since my last ride, I've shed a few pounds. Nothing extreme, 5 or 6 maybe. Definitley noticed the difference. Didn't change the stats much if any, but was just a bit easier.
Stats:

While I was prepping the Scott for the ride, I had another look at the Revell mixte. Reckon I'll finish it off and ride it regardless, I've put too much time and money in to just bin it. I don't think it will snap just yet...

Top Bottom