Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Metric century challenge day and a cross border raid into Norfolk with a ride up to Norwich and train home. Unfortunately it was a day of constant thick clouds and wet roads, so the only bke to use was the Spa Elan.

The first 20 miles was the most direct non 'A' road route to Framlingham through Woodbridge & Wickham Market and up the Baddingham Road to Laxfield where I was greeted by a friendly face...
Laxfield.jpg
From here my planned route was a lot more meandering and involved way too many muddy, slime coverd roads thanks to farm traffic and the recent weather. If I do this again, I'm going to have to have a serious rethink on large sections. Across to Wilby and up to Stradbroke, Fressingfield and Weybread, crossing into Norfolk over the River Waveny.
After the short sharp shock of a hill of the sort I didn't know existed in this part of the world (Cuckoo Lane if anybody knows it) I carried on through places that I'm sure would be quite picturesque in the sunshine, but just appeared grotty today - Redenhall, Topcroft, Saxlingham Nethergate, Stoke Holy Cross.
Once over the bridge over the A47, I came out on the only part of this half of the ride that I was familiar with - the road to the Norwich Waterfront venue which I hope to go back to as soon as possible next year as I'm missing live music (Lanterns on the Lake here on the 9th Feb hasn't been rescheduled yet)
Norwich Waterfront.jpg

One final quick picture stop before crossing the Wensum and into the train station for the trip home
River Wensum, Norwich.jpg

Screenshot_2020-12-10 Garmin Connect.png
Screenshot_2020-12-10 Up to Norwich Ride Strava.png
https://www.strava.com/activities/4454233459
Although the train from Norwich to Ipswich left over 15 minutes late, it made up time and arrived only a few minutes late - just in time for me to catch the local train home - if it had been running! The line was suspended due to a gas leak on a retail estate near the track and had been replaced by a bus service, meaning the only option I had was to ride the final 13 miles home.
1607644309285.png

Attachments

• 1607644260085.png
    1607644260085.png
    17.5 KB · Views: 1

gavgav

Guru
I had a day off working from home, today. Should have been in Birmingham, drinking German Beer and enjoying an Ocean Colour Scene concert, but of course you know what put pay to that, like it has everything this year. So, I arranged to do a bike ride with @Rickshaw Phil instead.

The forecast had been poor, all week, but had changed for the better during the last day or so and it was actually a lovely day, sunny at times and little or no wind.

We set off through the nearby estate and then out of Town via Betton Abbots, Berrington, Cross Houses, Atcham and Upton Magna, where a prat overtook us too closely and cut across the front of me, almost taking me with him. He got some some choice words and gestures.

The downhill section through Withington and Walcot is always good for getting speed up, before the climbing started, to Charlton and Wrockwardine, which was new territory for Phil.

View towards the Wrekin

From there we dropped down to Burcot and up to Eaton Constantine, from which there is a nice fast descent to the crossroads, where we paused in a lay-by for lunch. A Sainsbury’s van driver annoyingly wanted to use the same lay-by and so we moved the bikes up a bit to let him in. No thanks of course:thumbsdown:

Phil enjoying lunch

We dropped down to Cressage and then had a short climb on the busy A458, before joining lanes again towards Kenley and Raby Estate, passing a chap on a Recumbent trike along the way.

Next was Harley and along the always busy lane to Hughley, up to Church Preen and the long climb to Gretton and Cardington. We took a Lane that I’ve only ridden once or twice before and not for many years, past Leyhill and it’s quite a pull up to the T junction. There is then a nice fast descent into the wilderness of Ruckley, tempered a little by the awful road surface though.

We climbed out of the valley and paused for views over the Shropshire hills and plains, but it was quite misty and so couldn’t see as far as you sometimes can up there.

There is then a very fast section down to Acton Burnell and we picked up decent speed along to Pitchford, Cantlop and Betton Abbots, despite tired legs. We’d just got back to my junction, when a few spots of rain started to fall, which was good timing, but they didn’t come to much, as I spent the next 15 minutes washing the filthy bike down.

A very enjoyable 42.92 miles at 11.2mph avg and 2331ft of climbing.

That also means I have completed the half century challenge for 2020, but did take advantage of the allowed bye in April, due to lockdown.

It was also my 500th ride, since properly taking up cycling again in 2013

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Early rain cleared and the sun came out. I put some air in the tyres and saddled up. I decided to get down the road briskly so missed the lanes until just north of Pendock. Now it would be lanes except where no alternative was available. That was the link from Highleadon to the Tibberton turn. Fortunately it doesn't last long. I took a new bit of tarmac at Northwood Green before heading to Blaisdon and the lovely lane named Velthouse. I wonder what a velthouse is? Now I was heading homeward but I paused at Linton Church for a banana and apple break. On the run back I chose to take a lane from near Ryton to Brooms Green which I haven't visited for many a year. Nice ride out today in good winter weather. 61 smiles

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
I'm currently investigating bridleways (as stated on my OS map) and what might actually still exist, for a rather nice looking twenty - thirty mile route. Today, my excursions took me to the area around Bucklesham and some very muddy and deep-puddled lanes (great fun - trying out a new rear mudguard I bought in the morning for Pasty #2 The CX).
Collected another photograph for my series: Suffolk in winter. :smile:

Foxhall 11.12.20.JPG

On the bi-weekly bike/train ride to visit the family I arrived in Stuttgart at the beginning of the peak time, when bikes are not allowed on the metro/tram. However there is one exception, an isolated remanent of the old tram system that uses a rack system and has a bike carrying trolley attached, so I rode across Stuttgart and caught that one instead. Here's the thoroughly soaked Xtracycle on the trolley at the top station before I went riding through the forest to our village:

2020_12_12_Degerloch.jpg

Mike_P

Guru
Saturday morning and time to give the ebike a longer outing; so poor was the weather this week it had only managed 4.34 miles on two outings; one to Aldi and the other to the Co-Op and Post Office. Battery was still on two bars so I topped it briefly before heading out once again, only having the assist on when actually needed for most of the ride. Hollins Hill even on mid assist was enough for the third bar to extinguish.

East to Knaresborough along NCN636 (Bilton Lane/ Beryl Burton Way) I eventually found another cyclist whilst I was struggling a bit more than normal with the flat bars through a motor bike barrier. Dogs were the usual problem, one not much larger than a fluffy duster wanted to savage me while another, a bit larger, carried on walking straight at the bike.

Pre Christmas shopping traffic had obviously hit Knaresborough with a tailback to High Bridge over the Nidd but motorists were awake enough to let me get across and turn down Waterside, slightly congested in places as usual by walkers.

Now hit max assist and up Castle Ings Road – an almost immediate sharp uphill close to 140 degree bend that Strava laughingly has as 13.3%, it might be that on the downhill side of the carriageway but on the inside of the bend it was pretty much a wall and despite max assist a good deal of effort was required. Then cut across to the upper part of the climb of Briggate before heading into suburbia on a Christmas card posting mission.

Route reversed initially to reach the market place to undertake what might be the only bit of Christmas shopping this year

Pondered how to leave and decided with all the traffic to wheel the bike back down the one way road I had arrived on. Then descended Castle Ings Road to Waterside where I got stuck behind a traffic jam, one car is bad enough along here and there were four. Eventually back across High Bridge and up the A59 / cycle track hill where I decided with an approaching need for milk a visit to Morrisons would be a good idea.

Leaving Morrisons with substantially more than just milk my luck with the weather had run out and it was lightly raining for the first part of this last leg; assist crept up to speed matters along. Repeated last Saturdays return route bar crossing the Stray in a Z shaped route rather than a L as I could see plenty of walkers approaching a different cycle path crossing of the A59 and sure enough as soon as I got to it the lights changed against the A road. Pity those subsequently on the crossing of the A61 were not so co-operative; another cyclist had pushed the button but they stayed resolutely on green to the A road – he got across in a gap in traffic and sometime later so did I. Approaching home light rain returned and the battery dropped to one bar. 14.37 miles with 1012ft upwards.

Last edited:

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Out on the Hewitt at 11am, not too cold but a bit drizzly and moist. A nice steady ride with Suzanne & David from our village, a short stop to fix David’s puncture. 31 miles with an average of 15mph.

Old jon

Guru
Outdoors felt warm this morning! Only a degree or two warmer than yesterday, but all the same. Must take advantage of this, get the Bob Jackson out and off I go.

Where to? No idea yet, cross the River Aire at Crown Point and do a bit of thinking on the way to Oakwood. Up Boot Hill as a result of the thought, turn right to go to Thorner, And rediscover that Milner Lane is closed. Ride up Church Hill instead on the way to Bramham. Take the easy way to Clifford, I wanted to turn left just after passing the former convent. Then a right onto Main Street in Boston Spa followed by a left to cross the bridge over the River Wharfe.

Turn right in the village of Thorp Arch, this heads towards the trading estate that shares the name. A left on Wighill Lane, then the next right and ride past the western end of Walton Main Street. Keep on until the ‘T’ junction with the Wetherby – York Road and turn left. It is maybe a couple of miles to Wetherby, time to sort out a way to ride home.

And decided on the A58. Which was originally the idea, but turn off to climb Rigton Bank. Which leads back to closed Milner Lane. And I just did not fancy the alternative, up by Scarcroft Golf Club. So, the easy way, through Collingham. Between East Rigton and Bardsey, and no matter which way through Scarcroft the road climbs. This way might be shorter.

Another Wheeee! down Boot Hill and more loss of altitude to more or less the middle of town, a quick scurry through a bit of Hunslet and it is little further to the street I live on. Big grin, thirty six miles and a bit more than eighteen hundred feet rising. What an enjoyable pedal that was.

The pictures . . .

12122020.jpg

1212elev.jpg

AndreaJ

Veteran
The sun was actually shining today and after changing my brake pads I went out to test them. Started off to Wolverley turning off towards Loppington, Nonely, Myddle back to Burlton, English Frankton, around Colemere which was busy again, across to Welshampton crossing the road towards the school turning to Breadon Heath, Bettisfield, Northwood and home. Was nice to be out in sun although there’s still a lot of muddy lanes. 23.6 miles mostly dog walkers out today and the brakes worked.

Top Bottom