Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Just a quick pootle over to Sidmouth on the new bike. About 35k I think. I had the best of the weather.
IMG_20201225_123844163_HDR.jpg

pawl

Legendary Member
The Derwent Valley north from Derby for a jolly in winter sun today .
The A6 on a normal day is far from pleasent given the volume of motor traffic it can carry . Today was different ,waiting until 1130 for the frost to lift I headed out ,first through Duffield village which has some fine geogian houses fronting the A6 ,it also once boasted a castle but nothing now remains of note . Crossing the river at Milford and its derelict mill . Onwards to nail town which is better known as Belper .Why nail town ? in its history it had a cottage industry of nail makers . The East Mill is another of Belpers land marks.
View attachment 565129 The East Mill .Belper .Derbyshire . by rebalrid, on Flickr
Along the valley to Whatstands well recrossing the river here . Cromford reached again it has much of interest . Including the worlds fist spinning cotton mill . Willersley castle the home of cotton maker Richard Arkwright can also be seen .
View attachment 565130 Willersley Castle .Cromford by rebalrid, on Flickr
A little further is Massons Mill . This was a very busy shopping village until recently but with the closure of Edinburgh Woolen Mills its future is in doubt.
View attachment 565131 Massons Mill .Matlock. by rebalrid, on Flickr

Into Matlock Bath proper .On any other day of the year it would be busy, today a ghost town . The gorge its self is lovely .

View attachment 565132 The gorge at Matlock Bath . Derbyshire . by rebalrid, on Flickr

View attachment 565133 Gorge At Matlock Bath .Derbyshire . by rebalrid, on Flickr
On into Matlock town its self and crossing the Derwent twice here .
A good view of Ribber Castle is gained .
View attachment 565134 Ribber Castle . Derbyshire . by rebalrid, on Flickr

Retracing back along an even quiter A6 and to my left Crich stand, resplendent in the low winter sun .
View attachment 565135 Crich Stand Derbyshire . by rebalrid, on Flickr
So a ride rich in history and little traffic for once .

Those photos take me back to my early club runs with Loughborough CTC in the late 1950.The A6 back then was a very quite road. Back then Matlock was a Mecca for 🚴‍♀️

13 rider

Guru
The Derwent Valley north from Derby for a jolly in winter sun today .
The A6 on a normal day is far from pleasent given the volume of motor traffic it can carry . Today was different ,waiting until 1130 for the frost to lift I headed out ,first through Duffield village which has some fine geogian houses fronting the A6 ,it also once boasted a castle but nothing now remains of note . Crossing the river at Milford and its derelict mill . Onwards to nail town which is better known as Belper .Why nail town ? in its history it had a cottage industry of nail makers . The East Mill is another of Belpers land marks.
View attachment 565129 The East Mill .Belper .Derbyshire . by rebalrid, on Flickr
Along the valley to Whatstands well recrossing the river here . Cromford reached again it has much of interest . Including the worlds fist spinning cotton mill . Willersley castle the home of cotton maker Richard Arkwright can also be seen .
View attachment 565130 Willersley Castle .Cromford by rebalrid, on Flickr
A little further is Massons Mill . This was a very busy shopping village until recently but with the closure of Edinburgh Woolen Mills its future is in doubt.
View attachment 565131 Massons Mill .Matlock. by rebalrid, on Flickr

Into Matlock Bath proper .On any other day of the year it would be busy, today a ghost town . The gorge its self is lovely .

View attachment 565132 The gorge at Matlock Bath . Derbyshire . by rebalrid, on Flickr

View attachment 565133 Gorge At Matlock Bath .Derbyshire . by rebalrid, on Flickr
On into Matlock town its self and crossing the Derwent twice here .
A good view of Ribber Castle is gained .
View attachment 565134 Ribber Castle . Derbyshire . by rebalrid, on Flickr

Retracing back along an even quiter A6 and to my left Crich stand, resplendent in the low winter sun .
View attachment 565135 Crich Stand Derbyshire . by rebalrid, on Flickr
So a ride rich in history and little traffic for once .
Did you not fancy doing the climb from Matlock up to Riber it's quite a gentle climb NOT

bagpuss

Guru
Pawl/ 13 rider
Ah ha,Ribble hill well noted for its hill climb race run by Matlock cc . No 1in 4 grimper for me today . I looked at Holy lane as I rode past the turn
{Shining cliff woods} another road noted for its cycle hill climb event . Last time I tried it ,I got to the first corner and thought what a stupid idea :wacko:, turned round and continue along the A6 . Matlock is still a gathering place for motor cyclists .
I take it you remember the corner cafe at Ambergate , which started as a wooden shed ,later it became proper brick built venue . It closed as a cafe about 2/3 years back . It was the meet point for 1,000s of cyclist over the years:hungry: ,Another is Tor's cafe at Cromford another long standing tea stop for cyclists .
Paul .

Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I left it a bit too late to do the usual Festive 50k due to enjoying the warmth of my duvet too much this morning. As a result I only had time for a slow paced 20 mile circuit of Levington, Nacton, Foxhall & Bucklesham before a shower and then back on the bike round to mum's for Christmas dinner. Clear skies, bitterly cold and a chilling northerly breeze made a change from the cloud & rain for the past 4 days commuting :laugh:
1608933758836.png
1608933792967.png

pawl

Legendary Member
Pawl/ 13 rider
Ah ha,Ribble hill well noted for its hill climb race run by Matlock cc . No 1in 4 grimper for me today . I looked at Holy lane as I rode past the turn
{Shining cliff woods} another road noted for its cycle hill climb event . Last time I tried it ,I got to the first corner and thought what a stupid idea :wacko:, turned round and continue along the A6 . Matlock is still a gathering place for motor cyclists .
I take it you remember the corner cafe at Ambergate , which started as a wooden shed ,later it became proper brick built venue . It closed as a cafe about 2/3 years back . It was the meet point for 1,000s of cyclist over the years:hungry: ,Another is Tor's cafe at Cromford another long standing tea stop for cyclists .
Paul .

That has got the old grey cells in motion.I was a member of the East Mids CC now defunct and we promoted a hill climb on Holly Lane

Shining Cliff ther was a youth hostel somewhere near there Probably no longer in existence The Ambergate tea stop if it’s the one I remember was often the lunch time stop back in the day when we carried our sandwiches for lunch in are saddle bags and bought a large pot of tea and perhaps a slice of cake Wasn’t it a CTC recommended cafe.That was back in the days when club runs were all day affairs Summer time runs starting at 8AM usually back home around 8 PM

Club runs into Derbyshire were always my favourites
Happy days

Gunk

Guru
Just 8 miles this morning, miserable but nice to be out and a quick stop at the supermarket on the way home.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Not far today, only about 8 miles. I saw about a dozen-and-a-half couples out walking, all wearing woollen hats. Must be a Christmas thing. :smooch:

It was one of those rides where I'd change my mind at the last moment and head off down a different road than the one intended. It lifted my mood, no end. Somehow ended up on a very muddy bridleway. :whistle:

This at Akenham.

P1010453.JPG

Old jon

Guru
It was, errr, warm. Warmer this morning than it was last evening, for sure, maybe the breeze was blowing from somewhere warm. Two or three degrees does seem to make a difference to me.

The Spa was the bike of choice again, for a reason. After the ride last Thursday I saw that one more outing would beat the one thousand mile mark since I rode it home from Starbeck last September the ninth. And coincidentally take my year’s mileage over 5000. So the Spa it was, today.

Having seen recently that Milner Lane was open again, let’s go that way. So Oakwood and Boot Hill, turn right onto Red Hall Lane and for a change at the crossroads turn left onto Coal Road. This crosses the A58, to reach the bottom of Shadwell Main Street. Turn right there to go across the A58 again onto Carr Lane, into Thorner and a couple of lefts is Milner Lane.

A right turn onto Holme Farm Lane points the bike towards Bramham, turn right onto Paradise Way (really!) before reaching the village. This meets the A64 at what was called Bramham Crossroads, halfway round the roundabout is Aberford Main Street. Ride south along that, the village was quiet this morning. Resist the temptation to turn left onto Lotherton Lane, just carry straight on.

To Collier Lane, as I have just found out. Its the B1217 as well. So, turn right to go to Garforth and ride around the northern edge. A bit of downhill to the roundabout on the A63, straight across to the Wakefield road, the A642. It looks like nowt of a climb on the elevation trace, my legs don’t believe it. But if the road goes up, a descent is near.

In this case to Woodlesford. Cross the two waterways then turn right to find the TransPennine Trail at Woodlesford Lock or thereabouts. A very gentle, peaceful, though popular today, way back to the Armouries and home. Already smiling, the two milestones mentioned were reached about a quarter of the way into the thirty three miles pedalled this morning. The weather was kind and there was just enough uphill to notice. Wonderful!

Some detail,

26122020.jpg

2612elev.jpg

Tribansman

Veteran
Gentle 50 mile detox loop up and around Bedford and Barton le Clay as massively overdid it on the food yesterday. Out into the wind and cross/tail on way home.

IMG_20201226_094034.jpg

Much warmer than yesterday and roads even quieter, saw lots of solo riders out, no shiny new bikes though.

Always enjoy the more relaxed nature of Boxing Day and feasting on leftovers. Took a wedge of Christmas pudding and had that half way round. Came back to mini Tribansman knee deep in chocolate wrappers so got him out on a 7 mile hill sprint ride earlier this afternoon, which he loved and meant he'd earnt his pudding :laugh:

IMG_20201226_153559.jpg

Top Bottom