Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Yup club rides canned , freezing fog and ice patches

Tribansman

Veteran
Did a 125 mile flood/ice dodging ride yesterday up to and around Northampton and down to Luton, which meant last week was my highest mileage week all year at 358. Think the East has definitely had the best of the weather this week! Although passed so many flooded roads/huge puddles. Luckily my route avoided most of them although the River Nene was very swollen around Northampton and the Ouse down into Bucks.

Was a lovely sunset and full moon, chilly in the rural spots though. Average temperature for the ride was 0c!

IMG_20201227_160841.jpg

IMG_20201227_160807.jpg

Last edited:

Old jon

Guru
And it was cold. Just as expected, really. A big but, I had replaced the gear cables on the Jacko a few days back and wanted to check how well or badly they were working. Deep breath, an extra layer, and off I went.

North and west of here was the intention, which would normally mean the towpath. Not this morning, ride through the city centre and out along Kirkstall Road as far as the right turn for Cardigan Road. And go to Headingley. And Lawnswood, and the uphill finishes. I was not riding briskly, trying to but not succeeding. Anyway, turn right to pedal through Adel, a close to home ride is feeling like a good idea now. Carry on and turn right onto King Lane, at Five Lane Ends, and ride to and take the left turn onto Alwoodley Lane.

Some of the houses along here have gardens large enough to have their own scenery, and for the houses that have not, there is the golf course I suppose. Anyway, straight across the A61, Wigton Lane leads to Slaid Hill. For once miss Wike Ridge, a right and a left is Shadwell Lane, and that is where I went.

The thought was to turn right onto Gateland Lane to reach the A58, but somehow or other my mojo took charge. I suddenly wanted to ride further. Of course, silly December ideas like that seldom last long. In this case, long enough for me to ride down Main Street, up the rise and across the A58 onto Carr Lane. Which meant I was going to Thorner, and out of there up Sandhills. It has just occurred to me that maybe I subconsciously wanted the whizzzz! down that hill.

After the whizz, the Oakwood Clock and crossing Harehills Lane, back over the river at Crown Point and that last bit of rising road home. When I reached my front door the garthing informed me I had ridden seventeen point six yards less than twenty five miles. Gave me a grin, that did.

As well as telling me how far I rode, it produced these,

28122020.jpg

2812elev.jpg

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Well, the stiches have been taken out. (Or rather, the remaining stiches were removed. Where and when the others fell out remains a moot question.)
As a treat to myself, I went for a ride after lunch which triggered a rather bizarre stress event. It can only be described as discombobulation. That's 2020 for you, I suppose. I managed to pause and take another in my series of Suffolk In Winter photos, though. :smile:
This at Tuddenham.
P1010458.JPG

AndreaJ

Veteran
A short ride was needed today as I was 7 miles short of my target miles for the year, I’m back to work tomorrow and the forecast doesn’t look promising for cycle commuting with warnings for ice so it had to be today. After waiting for the snow to stop I set off to Northwood onto Whixall as far as Alkington where I turned to cross the canal back to Hollinswood, Coton, Waterloo, Poolhead, Horton then home. Lots of water about and the snow soon disappeared despite the temperature only being 1 degree. 17.1 miles making a total of 5010 miles for the year. Not many people out in the cold.

Mburton1993

Über Member
After two days of inactivity and a phenomenal amount of chocolate this felt necessary.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Looks like a bit of water. Is that boat moored there or was it dragged by the flood.
I think it's been moored there although that's not a normal mooring point. That area is normally just a dead end pool with the excess water going through the 'lock' at a steady rate back into the Nene. The little footbridge, water is normally trickling through and back into the river further up, never seen it hammering thro like that, its overwhelmed all the land to the right.

ianbarton

Veteran
The weather improved after the Boxing Day storm, so I decided to venture out. A 43km trip via Whitchurch and Wrenbury. Whitchurch is in Shropshire, so the cafes are open at the moment. The high street was almost deserted. I dropped in at Costa for a sausage sandwich, large Americano and a slice of cake. I decided not to climb the hill up to the telecoms mast at Wirswall, but continued on a lower level route to Wrenbury. The roads weren't too badly flooded, which surprised me given the amount of rain in the last couple of days.

The council have finally got round to try yet again and fix the big flood shown in the photo. It's normally much, much bigger, but there are still several giant potholes hidden under the water. In the latest attempt at fixing the flood they put a CCTV camera down the drain and decided that it was partially blocked in the field. However, they refused an offer from the local farmer to dig down to the drain if they could tell him exactly where it was blocked, so they could fix it. The council has been making various failed attempts to fix this flood for about five years despite locals who know exactly where all the drains are trying to help.

27-12-20-A-bike-ride-in-Dodcott-cum-Wilkesley-England.png
IMG_20201227_151607.jpg
IMG_20201227_144025.jpg
IMG_20201227_144016.jpg

Top Bottom