Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Snow all around so I planned to stay on the larger roads. It seemed that the roads were OK even the little ones. So when I got down to Corse I took to a new bit of tarmac to have a look at Corse Church at a dead end. I didn't hang about for long as the temperature was a bit low. So I turned for home. As I neared my aim I had sleet then snow falling all around. Miserably last 10 miles. Thankfully I made it back in one piece. 36 smiles

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Snow all around so I planned to stay on the larger roads. It seemed that the roads were OK even the little ones. So when I got down to Corse I took to a new bit of tarmac to have a look at Corse Church at a dead end. I didn't hang about for long as the temperature was a bit low. So I turned for home. As I neared my aim I had sleet then snow falling all around. Miserably last 10 miles. Thankfully I made it back in one piece. 36 smiles
A Like for getting out! :cold:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
cars spinning out today on the hill i live on , melted now but a frost tonight

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Another short ride - to test the replacement leg-warmers that arrived this afternoon. (Previous pair torn in recent accident.) It's the first time this winter that I could have done with more layers, but I enjoyed myself, nevertheless.
My heart went out to these folk working in the fields.
photo (10).JPG

"Cold mate"? enquired a youngster outside Chester Cathedral.
Well, the contents of my water bottle were still almost a liquid.
"Bloody freezing", I answered slowly.
18 miles in total.... another 10 may have rendered me cryogenic, but good fun all the same.

Always had a soft spot for the modern bell tower next to the cathedral, the architect looked after both this one and York Minster in the 60s and designed some fine modern churches.

(The tower in the cathedral couldn't take the weight of the bells, so they had to be moved)
Usual route out into Wales and back, some right slippy bits on the canal tow path, but stayed upright at least.

One near the walls just south of Northgate.

So, that might be the final ride of 2020, what a year eh? Didn't see this lot coming when I was doing the same route 12 months ago, but who did? A safe and happy New Year one and all :okay:

m11g

Hi! What kind of tires do you have the bike in these pictures?

//M

22 December. The (Solar) New Year's Day Ride

Living in a pagan part of Britain where Celtic beliefs lie just beneath the surface, today is the real first day of the year as the earth tilts back on its six month journey back to mid summer. Jan 1st is just a date.

It was a horrible day. Fog on the hills, heavy rain showers, flooded lanes, quite a lot of mud and a boisterous wind. I was not at all sure I wanted to go outside this morning...especially as this is the season when Morrigan, the Celtic goddess of fate and sometimes foreteller of death, tends to wander about. Often disguised as a crow.

View attachment 564636
She may look like this...

But it's not real is it? Just a very old story. Although today, on some high and lonely lanes where there are no houses or passing cars, just heathery moors and winter rough fields with only the road edges visible in the swirling mists, it is easy to feel a sense of foreboding.

My plan was to sneak around all the quietest lanes between Truro and Penzance, avoiding the madness of Christmas traffic. Life in Tier 1 carries on as normal and we will see the impact soon in rocketing rates of Covid 19. They have already tripled since the beginning of the month. So out of Truro on the steep Chapel Hill and a brief view of Cornwall's metropolis laid out below me , then immediately plunging down into a deep valley, over a small bridge and then up again steeply to regain all the height lost. Passing Merlin's Wood, a tangled oak woodland that is much newer than any pre-Christian magician, the rain falling hard on the road and pricking my eyes.

The villages roll past, each accompanied by its own hill, always steep, the rain sometimes stops but the water is always flowing down the road, washing gravel under the tyres. Cusgarne, Frogpool, Trethella Water, Stithians, St Day. I thought St Day was the highest point of the ride. The fog was certainly thicker here as I rose up into the clouds. Cars emerged from the whiteness suddenly so I put a second front and back light on, one flashing, one steady and hoped they could see me. The hills continued after St Day but fortunately not for long and downhill soon beckoned to where the mist was much lighter and I felt safe enough to take a photo.

View attachment 564612

Through Praze-an Beeble, just a blur of granite grey houses, dripping trees and onto Relubbus and Leedstown, St Hilary and Goldsithney. The villages mark the route, give me short targets to go for. I like to know the next thing is only three or four miles. It breaks it up.

Descending steeply through Marazion I finally see St Michael's Mount. The village is busy with tourists, the pasty shops and ice cream sellers doing well despite the gloom and rain. The Mount is only half visible, the top hidden in cloud and a grey, restless sea and raw wind are not enough to deter one couple swimming. No wetsuits. But who is more mad...me for cycling in this gloomy rain and mist where all I can see is a stretch of dirty road or those two for getting an endorphin high playing in the bitter waves?

View attachment 564613

View attachment 564614

The cycle route along the top of the beach has been closed for upgrading so to avoid the A30 which is busy with impatient shoppers going too fast, I take a roundabout route behind the town, up and down though Gulval, which looks as if it would be a lovely place on a summer's day, but I am hungry, wet and cold and just want to get to Penzance harbour and turn round.

View attachment 564615

The way home is up to the north coast to Hayle, blessedly rolling at first rather than crocodile toothed hill and valley, hill and valley. I have switched to my spare gloves now and eaten quickly, stuffing a sandwich down on the harbour slipway. There are cafes and pubs and a tantalising scent of fresh pasty hereabouts but I am both quarantining before meeting elderly relatives at Christmas and shielding with my own vulnerabilities. So week old bread with jam it is, damp at the edges where the rain wets it.

I always find this north coast route after Hayle to be hard work. The hills are longer and by now my legs are tired with forty miles and 3000 feet in them already. I went through Hayle slowly, snarled in traffic, a grey sky and grey buildings and a grey road. Everything is shades of grey but cold and wet rather than erotic. Now it is up and then down (inevitably) to pass the surf beach at Gwithian, VW vans parked all along the road, skinny surfers, hair plastered down by waves and salt, changing out of wetsuits, tugging at the reluctant neoprene, trying to force frozen hands to work. The waves look good today, clean and not too big.

Another long hill with traffic queueing behind me which I hate, so it is off on the first lane on the right. An error of judgement. It is flooded and I cycle through long, brown puddles where the water is streaming off the land. My feet were already wet but I worry about the bottom bracket. I could go back but don't. I keep thinking it will get better in a bit.

View attachment 564616

It doesn't. I don't photograph the worst bits, just plough through them hoping for the best, hitting unseen potholes. I wonder how long it would be before anyone drove along here and found my drowned body. Can you drown in six inches?

View attachment 564617

It is a relief to race down the hair pinned drop into Portreath and an opportunity to grab some more food although all I find in my saddle bag is a gel. It will have to do. Hunger gnaws at me. Three hills left. I watch the waves for a while and the squall that misses me as it proceeds along the coast. The sun is breaking through and the temperature has risen.

View attachment 564618

Three hills, then two and finally one. The roads are getting busier and no one seems to want to give me space. I need to concentrate, making eye contact with oncoming vehicles and cycling defensively. The last hill is the worst and for the first time ever I take a break part way.

Home is a welcome sight. I am wet, dirty, tired and hungry and I am not convinced I have had a great time.

But I didn't encounter Morrigan, either as she is depicted here or in the shape of a crow. I barely saw anyone not in a vehicle in fact. If she was looking for me, she would have struggled today in the mist and rain.

A rest day tomorrow. There is a list of jobs for me on the kitchen worktop I notice......

View attachment 564630

colly

Re member eR
Last ride of 2020. Collecting grandkids tomorrow and company on New Years Eve, so today was the last opportunity. I noticed last night that I had done just short of 2700 miles for the year, 2696, so for the sake of another 4 miles...............
3.15pm and I finally got up and out. Cold but not freezing the roads were free of the small amount of snow we had last night. They were wet though and as expected mucky.:sad:
So all familiar lanes while the light died and traffic was light, and apart from one close pass nothing to complain about.
Moortown, Slaid Hill, Stairfoot Lane. Blackhill Lane, Golden Acre Park, Adel, Weetwood, Headingley, Harehills and home.

Just under 18 miles and just over 1000ft of up.

2714 miles for the year. Which by some standards is barely getting out of bed. For me it might be the most I have ever done in a year. :rolleyes: I never used to keep track of stuff like that, just got on and rode. Only with the advent of stuff like Garmin, which makes things easy, have I kept any kind of record.
I've said this before but 'next year' I should have a bit more time, maybe I will crack the 4000 mark.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/60810752

Damn freezing - ice on drive this morning

managed to get out for a little ride just before dark - about 16 miles

I have to avoid my normal routes as the canal paths are basically just muddy puddles at the moment - I would be better of riding IN the canal!!!

seemed to be quite a few people with proper cameras and big camouflaged lens around the back of the airport - there may have been a rare feathered thing somewhere!

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
The day dawned sunny with a hard frost, so a MTB expedition it had to be.

Beautiful mist over the fields as the sun rose:

After that, alas the weather didn't really play ball. Low cloud came over, temperatures rose and a bit of a mud and slushfest ensued.

Undaunted, the cobbles of Beeston Brow were the harbinger of the main climb of the day, up the brickworks and thence offroad into Lyme Park. Just shy of the summit, the temperature dropped sufficient for frost to return, and the summit track to Bowstones was mainly hard frozen, with rime on the reeds:

Photos stop at this point, with thick fog and also soaking gloves after a couple of hours of hard labour, hands began to freeze. Happily, I had my heated gloves with me, a miracle solution.

Down through Lyme Park, busy but much less so than normal and then along the canal where everyone was so polite and helpful giving way it warmed my heart in this time of pestilence.

Finally down to the plain and home, three and a half hours without a stop save for drinks and gates. A paltry 55k but who's counting?

geocycle

Legendary Member
After a week of being confined indoors or out walking I decided to risk two wheels again. Found a sweet spot from lunch until 3:00 between the frost thawing and the freeze returning. Just about 15 miles on the Thorn with its big tyres and shy of the hills. Ice still solid on the frozen puddles of the bike path and where streams spilt across the roads. Otherwise roads were clear and the exercise welcome. That’s probably me done for the year.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
A 14 miler along the local byways and lanes.

Met a few pals on Burwell Fen.

Heading home near dusk. Temperature just above freezing to remind my hands I need better gloves.
Two barn owls and a calling little owl added bonuses.

just need a few inches of snow now so I can use my ice tyres I bought about 7 years ago and only used once!

13 rider

Guru
The eight days of Christmas ,The festive 500
For those who dont use Strava each year Rapha runs a Strava challenge to cycle 500km in between Christmas Eve to New year's Eve ,this is my tail of my years festive 500.
Christmas Eve
working so my normal cycle commute of 8.2 miles became 21 miles in ,15 miles home and a steady start . Not to bad weather wise but mostly done in the dark
Christmas Day
Out early-ish . Out to Cossington to find my route blocked by floods so rerouted on to some quieter roads and started to come across ice on the road where there was standing water . Headed back home with just 24 miles done so behind target .
Boxing Day
Freed from a family commitment due to covid rules I had more time today . Headed out on a 50 mile loop . Out to Market Bosworth and Austry radio tower and home 51 miles in the bag . Done in fairly nice conditions quite enjoyable that one
Dec 27th
Out to Quorn to meet @tallliman at 10.30 for a decent ride together . Avoiding the floods we headed out up the Wreake valley and up Saxileby hill ,East leake and out to Gotham and back through Normanton on Soar to Stanford where we parted company . Home with 63 miles in the bag and I'm on target . Best ride of the challenge by far ,The weather forecast is looking iffy from now on
Dec 28th
A good frost saw me leave later at 11.00 sticking to busy ice free roads . Out to Quorn ,Barrow up Paudy lane to Burton on the Wolds back to Barrow and home 34 miles in the bag
Dec 29th
Back working , Out the door at 5.15 not much frost managed to rack up 18 miles to work by the time I got there it was starting to show headed home could be interesting . Thankfully by the time work was done the snow had thawed so managed 16 miles home ,hanging in there
Dec 30th
Another work day . Awoke to a proper frost sat thinking shall I cycle ? .Gave it a go headed straight to work and with loops of the village I racked up 14 miles so behind where I want to be . Commute home was bitterly cold but roads ice free so managed 18 miles coming home so still in the game .
Dec 31st
The final day .Another proper frost so finally out the door at 10.30 . Again sticking to busier routes ,Anstey , Cossington ,Sileby ,Barrow up Paudy lane ,Burton on the Wolds back to Barrow then Quorn then followed by extended commuting route home to rack up 36 miles and the grand total of 502kms .
So the challenge was done at times I thought the weather would defeat me but somehow I kept racking up the miles . This is the forth time I've done the festive 500 and found this year by far the hardest
Happy new year everyone . May it be a tailwind for us all

Last edited:
Top Bottom