Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
crushed my nemesis hill last night, (a long, steep, poor traction climb in the woods featuring a cpl out of the saddle, high torque sections) not once, not twice but even a 3rd time after dark

since last Spring I've been trying it, attempting to get to the top w/o stopping to settle my breathing at the top. on more than a few attempts, I didn't even make it to the top w/o stopping. either due to chain suck, poor technique or lack of breath or strength

at the top is an excercise station for the nearby firefighter academy, where one can do pushups on pipes mounted at various heights. part of my ongoing goal was to ride to the top, do the pushups, then remount the bike & keep going. I always felt good when I could do it (just once)

was hoping for just 1 good ride up it w/o stopping or strained breathing. miraculously I did 3 it times. twice back-to-back, then again after changing my hat & to a helmet w/ a light. I rationalized the desire to hit it again & again with: "when you feel it, you go for it"

I've read & experienced myself, some days aren't your best & that's not a time to worry, but rather continue knowing that some day, out of nowhere, you'll have your best day. I remember when I was running, some days, I had legs I didn't recognize. like they weren't my own. cherish the good days

partucularly pleased beacuse a friend, last week? had a heart attack after she had a bad ride on her peloton. she's OK, got some new stents, just like her Mom, some time ago. but after hearing her story, I started feeling like I was having angina symptoms, or corona heart symptoms. well, to heck with that feculence. I crushed the nemesis hill 3 times! tried to tell Wifey & friends last night but the acheivement didn't get any traction. blame it on NY's eve

maybe my new challenege will now be "hill repeats"?

Last edited:

Old jon

Guru
The forecast was correct as to temperature. And there was some blue sky visible, which always cheers me, it seemed like a good day for a ride on the fixed.

So off I pedalled, with the idea of riding along the towpath on the Leeds and Liverpool canal, maybe as far as Saltaire, and returning by road. Well, the forecast temperature had not cleared the ice on the towpath. I carefully pushed the bike up the icy rise at Spring Gardens Lock and found thirty more yards of the stuff on the level. Message understood, roads might just be easier so I left the towpath at Viaduct Road.

Ride on, up to Headingley. The lack of traffic reminded me what day it was and the rising road warmed me up very nicely. Which helped me to decide on a slightly longer route than just a spin around the suburbs. So, more uphill to Lawnswood, and just follow the A660 through Bramhope to the Dyneley Arms. Which rather oddly had lights on downstairs. But, predictably, I turned right and rode down Pool Bank, with caution, and once through the village turned left onto the A659. Yup, munch a banana at the maypole again. Some things rarely alter.

And the return journey is also familiar. Leeds Road back to the other view of the Dyneley Arms and through Bramhope again. Just as on the outward journey there was very light rainfall here, which stayed with me most of the way back. The roads were still extremely quiet, even in Headingley. A right turn here, down the hill to Kirkstall and the decision to ride the road into the town centre, just for a change.

Head out of there to home, ride a bit further than usual into Hunslet. And at my door I had just over thirty miles showing on the garthing, which also told me that 1444 feet of uphill, wrong word, rising road, had been achieved. First smile of the year for that, glad I took the bike out.

And the pictures, freshly made today

01012021.jpg

0101elev.jpg

The forecast was correct as to temperature. And there was some blue sky visible, which always cheers me, it seemed like a good day for a ride on the fixed.

So off I pedalled, with the idea of riding along the towpath on the Leeds and Liverpool canal, maybe as far as Saltaire, and returning by road. Well, the forecast temperature had not cleared the ice on the towpath. I carefully pushed the bike up the icy rise at Spring Gardens Lock and found thirty more yards of the stuff on the level. Message understood, roads might just be easier so I left the towpath at Viaduct Road.

Ride on, up to Headingley. The lack of traffic reminded me what day it was and the rising road warmed me up very nicely. Which helped me to decide on a slightly longer route than just a spin around the suburbs. So, more uphill to Lawnswood, and just follow the A660 through Bramhope to the Dyneley Arms. Which rather oddly had lights on downstairs. But, predictably, I turned right and rode down Pool Bank, with caution, and once through the village turned left onto the A659. Yup, munch a banana at the maypole again. Some things rarely alter.

And the return journey is also familiar. Leeds Road back to the other view of the Dyneley Arms and through Bramhope again. Just as on the outward journey there was very light rainfall here, which stayed with me most of the way back. The roads were still extremely quiet, even in Headingley. A right turn here, down the hill to Kirkstall and the decision to ride the road into the town centre, just for a change.

Head out of there to home, ride a bit further than usual into Hunslet. And at my door I had just over thirty miles showing on the garthing, which also told me that 1444 feet of uphill, wrong word, rising road, had been achieved. First smile of the year for that, glad I took the bike out.

And the pictures, freshly made today

View attachment 566638

View attachment 566639
That's good going sir!
I am having trouble making a cup of coffee, let alone going out on the bike.
Hope there are not too many sore heads out there, ouch :wacko:

Mike_P

Guru
Outdoor thermometer reached the dizzying heights of 3.7 today, a combination of digits only approached recently with a negative symbol in front, so the ebike back on a shopping trip and it was noticeable that some road verges were still icy in places. Went the steep way and was slightly worried at the sight of an "Ice" sign at the foot of the ninety degree bend onto a steep climb of a north facing hillside but it was ice free. Further on initially missed an intended cycle route around the cricket ground as the sign had vanished.

Destination was a quite M&S Simply Food, for some free food thanks to gift vouchers; for once the bike had a companion for company at the Sheffield stands. Obviously a lot of others had the same idea for winter comfort food and I picked up the last Cumberland Pie :hungry: Also discovered they are now doing their own versions of nakd bars; peanut butter, raspberry and almond, and of course cocoa and orange but being M&S with hazelnuts as well:eek:

Back on a less hilly route and suddenly the sound of the lock falling off; the grub screw holding the mounting part on the lock had developed a pretty circular Allen key hole in it and I had replaced it with an normal bolt which prevented the lock fitting properly in the bike part of the mount - now to order a new grub screw :okay:

Just 8.12 new years miles.

colly

Re member eR
The first day of a new year, and it seemed a shame to not christen it with the first ride of the new year.
I left it until late on until about 3pm before I ventured out. No reason other than I had other things to do but finally I was clear and I got out. Cold and damp but it was quite bright and not wanting to out for too long It was all local again.
Across Soldier's Field and onto Moortown where I opted to go straight on and take the, ring road around to Weetwood where it was a right hand up Weetwood Lane to Adel Church. From there it was down and over Adel Dam and up and a loop around Blackhill Lane and the back of Golden Acre Park. Which by the way was heaving even though it was getting dark. The car park being full cars were parked all along King Lane.
After that it was back past Blackhill Lane and then around Eccup Reservoir and it was Alwoodley lane, Slaid Hill Shadwell lane to Moortown and back home.

19.5 miles and 1160 ft. Not too far and not too much effort. About right for an after Christmas spin.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/60921579

footloose crow

Über Member
1 Jan Ice, ice baby.....

I managed to not go out for the whole of the Rapha 500 week. Brilliant bit of swerving and dodging, blaming the weather and.....anything else. Filled with self disgust today, I broke the ice on the drive and made myself go out. There was more disgust at home - I could feel the waves of disapproval like Atlantic rollers from Madame Crow. If I came back with (another) broken bone I would be divorced.

IMG_4420.jpg

The initial lanes looked fine to me, maybe a little wet where streams ran across. It shows how much I know. I watched pedestrians slip and fall in the distance as I descended a slope. Brake? Don't brake? Put a foot down?

Too long thinking and with a wobble from the back wheel I have shot across the glistening patch of ice and now the tyres bite into the grit layer running down the middle of the road and steady me. This is going to be a slow ride. More ice follows wherever waterlogged fields drain onto the road and trees and banks create deep, cold shade.

The Wahoo says it is plus one degree, so it isn't freezing but it feels cold cycling at 20k an hour and my hands have dis-associated themselves and refuse to obey instructions. I hate being swaddled in so many clothes too.

The bigger lanes are better and less icy and as long as I am cautious going downhill and keep the speed down I seem to be able to crunch through the lines of crushed snow left from yesterdays storm. It hasn't snowed here for years. The roads are quiet as a result - or is it hangovers? "Will there be snow in Cornwall this Christmas time......" warbles through my head. Bob Geldof would be unimpressed.

Perranporth beach is busy though with surfers and walkers and families and probably Tier 4 refugees. The pasty shop is offering a bargain box of ten pasties for a tempting price. "Take them home with you" says the poster in the window. The Cornish press wants the 'foreigners' to return home and social media is carrying (untrue) stories about how our only hospital is over run by people from beyond the Tamar (or 'furriners'). It isn't.

IMG_4435.jpg

It is even colder on the north coast than it was in Truro despite the proximity of the relatively warmer Atlantic a few hundred metres away. I expected to be removing layers by now but instead are zipping them up.

IMG_4444.jpg

Cornish snow! I should sell it on eBay. Could be another ten years before we see it again.

The roads home have been gritted and my speed can rise finally. By the last hill I have pumped warmth into my hands and have pulled down the zip on my top. It is a balmy three degrees now.

42 km and 600 odd metres of ascent. I have gone metric. It is the only New Year resolution that has lasted beyond 18 hours.

AndreaJ

Veteran
As it seemed to be very slightly warmer this morning and there didn’t look like there was much ice about I decided to try a ride. What had been bright sunshine turned to rain as I was leaving which wasn’t part of the plan, I carried on hoping it would stop. Set off towards the Moatshed but turning the opposite way to Whixall, Paddolgreen, Ryebank, Horton onto the Ellesmere road to Loppington taking the second turning to English Frankton and onto Colemere. The car park at Colemere was packed with people parked across one of the entrance/ exits why anyone would want to paddle through all that mud with lots of other people is a mystery. I carried on to Lyneal up the bank to Newton and back onto the Ellesmere road to Welshampton, Breadon Heath, Bettisfield, back to Lyneal, Loppington and home. The roads were a mixture of icy patches and floods and the sun did reappear briefly, still cold though. 27.19 miles and back to wet and muddy.

13 rider

Guru
As it seemed to be very slightly warmer this morning and there didn’t look like there was much ice about I decided to try a ride. What had been bright sunshine turned to rain as I was leaving which wasn’t part of the plan, I carried on hoping it would stop. Set off towards the Moatshed but turning the opposite way to Whixall, Paddolgreen, Ryebank, Horton onto the Ellesmere road to Loppington taking the second turning to English Frankton and onto Colemere. The car park at Colemere was packed with people parked across one of the entrance/ exits why anyone would want to paddle through all that mud with lots of other people is a mystery. I carried on to Lyneal up the bank to Newton and back onto the Ellesmere road to Welshampton, Breadon Heath, Bettisfield, back to Lyneal, Loppington and home. The roads were a mixture of icy patches and floods and the sun did reappear briefly, still cold though. 27.19 miles and back to wet and muddy.
View attachment 566767
As a fully fledged half centurion 27.19 miles !!!! ,Less than 4 to a metric half :sad:

AndreaJ

Veteran
As a fully fledged half centurion 27.19 miles !!!! ,Less than 4 to a metric half :sad:
It was cold and wet 😊

AndreaJ

Veteran
As the weather doesn’t look like it’s getting warmer any time soon and the roads looked dry and frost free I thought I would get January’s half century ride done. I got ready and went to get the bike from the shed and found lots of ice , went to check the lane outside the house which was also covered in ice. Some neighbours were walking past and told me that their car was in the ditch up the lane having skidded on the ice so I walked the dogs instead. There had been a shower of rain which had frozen as it hit the road.
The sun came out so had another go after lunch when it had cleared.
Set off to Loppington, Nonely, Myddle down Lower Road to Merrington, Old Woods, Eyton, past the schools into Baschurch, over the crossroads to Weston Lullingfields, Bagley, Lee where I had another puncture. Stopped in the gateway to Ellesmere College to sort it, then it started to snow. According to Garmin it was 2 degrees- it was not ideal weather for changing inner tubes! A nice farmer did stop and ask if I was ok. I got it sorted ( another big thorn) and set back off into the snow to Ellesmere, up Swan Hill to Coptiviney, Welshampton where I eventually got the feeling back in my hands after taking my gloves off to sort the tyre, and stuck to the main road through Northwood and home. I have decided that Gatorskin tyres are better in snow and ice than puncture resistance! 34.15 miles mostly in the sun.

13 rider

Guru
As the weather doesn’t look like it’s getting warmer any time soon and the roads looked dry and frost free I thought I would get January’s half century ride done. I got ready and went to get the bike from the shed and found lots of ice , went to check the lane outside the house which was also covered in ice. Some neighbours were walking past and told me that their car was in the ditch up the lane having skidded on the ice so I walked the dogs instead. There had been a shower of rain which had frozen as it hit the road.
The sun came out so had another go after lunch when it had cleared.
Set off to Loppington, Nonely, Myddle down Lower Road to Merrington, Old Woods, Eyton, past the schools into Baschurch, over the crossroads to Weston Lullingfields, Bagley, Lee where I had another puncture. Stopped in the gateway to Ellesmere College to sort it, then it started to snow. According to Garmin it was 2 degrees- it was not ideal weather for changing inner tubes! A nice farmer did stop and ask if I was ok. I got it sorted ( another big thorn) and set back off into the snow to Ellesmere, up Swan Hill to Coptiviney, Welshampton where I eventually got the feeling back in my hands after taking my gloves off to sort the tyre, and stuck to the main road through Northwood and home. I have decided that Gatorskin tyres are better in snow and ice than puncture resistance! 34.15 miles mostly in the sun.

View attachment 566989
That's a better distance :okay:

Top Bottom