Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Old jon

Guru
Aye, the sky was blue and the sun was shining. And it was perishing cold too! I took the Spa out today, and said to myself ‘If my hands are still cold at the Oakwood Clock I turn around and go home.’

And I cheated. My hands were still cold when I reached that landmark, but less cold than they had been. So I kept on and by the time I had turned right onto Harrogate Road things were actually comfortable, as far bodily warmth was concerned. There had been a couple of, hmm, slithers I guess. Not full on skids, just an inch or two of unexpected sideways. Enough to make me alter the intended route and ride the roads more travelled.

So instead of turning left to go to Eccup reservoir and village, I pedalled straight on to Harewood. And down Harewood bank for the first time in quite a while. One of the pieces of the A659 starts at the bottom, and I followed that familiar road. Ride past the left to Weardley, and the next left to Rawden Hill (and Weardley). Arthington is next, it straggles along the road for almost two miles. Row of cottages, village hall, more cottages, a few larger houses. Big gaps between all of these, then under the viaduct and there is Pool.

Not going to Farnley today, there is often water flowing across the road, almost at the top of that hill. Stick to the bottom of the valley and ride on to Otley for a sandwich break. Then Leeds Road out of there, the old Chevin would have generated more warmth but I persuaded myself I would just try harder on the easier hill.

The warmth stayed all the way, through Bramhope and Lawnswood, and down the hill to Headingley. In Kirkstall I decided to take the road instead of the towpath. The weather decided to chuck sleet at me. And my f-f-f-f-fingers f-f-f-froze. Still, soon home and warming up. Thirty five miles is worth the grin, for sure. And a relaxed 1683 feet of climbing. Another good one.

Roughly where the bike took me,

24122020.jpg

2412elev.jpg

Mike_P

Guru
Sunny, three degrees and 18mph winds predicted so opted to give the ebike a Christmas treat of just a leisure ride rather than shopping and work duties. Out southwards through a pretty deserted country park and for once dog free, the low sun was interesting at times. Then onto the UCI circuit with a new fast time up Cornwall Road and through the Pine Woods, now just one ebiker faster on Strava.
Combination of roads and cycle routes, with well behaved dogs for once, across the A61 Leeds Road to reach the showground where due to Covid inoculations being undertaken there the gate on the hill was open for the first time in months.
Pass Sainsburys which looked horribly busy, across the A661 Wetherby Road and a further cycle route, with a dog of the lets carry on walking straight at the bike type, to a lengthy wait for a right turn, due to busy presumably Morrisons related traffic.
Up to the A59 at Forest Lane Head and then the full length of Bilton Lane where the wind did pick up and minimal assist was insufficient at one point.
Further on flew up the hill pass the Co-Op on the cycletrack to no avail as the way ahead was suddenly blocked by a disability scooter oh so gradually overtaking two pedestrians.
11.57 miles with 953ft upwards.

Last edited:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Lockeridge Lane was flooded so I rode over the common instead. Longdon Marsh was flooded so I had to use the main road. Tewkesbury was flooded so it was up onto the pavement and still get tyres wet. I guessed Eckington Bridge would be flooded so I went by Pershore. The bridge there wasn't quite flooded. Besford Bridge was flooded so I retraced and intercepted Will D who was about to go that way. I had to ride the main road. The Hanley Road and the back lane were flooded at Upton so it was The Boynes on the way back. Otherwise it wasn't a bad ride. 59 smiles

gavgav

Guru
Lockeridge Lane was flooded so I rode over the common instead. Longdon Marsh was flooded so I had to use the main road. Tewkesbury was flooded so it was up onto the pavement and still get tyres wet. I guessed Eckington Bridge would be flooded so I went by Pershore. The bridge there wasn't quite flooded. Besford Bridge was flooded so I retraced and intercepted Will D who was about to go that way. I had to ride the main road. The Hanley Road and the back lane were flooded at Upton so it was The Boynes on the way back. Otherwise it wasn't a bad ride. 59 smiles
Reminds me of the days when I had to try to re arrange the bus service and school routes, for the company I used to work for, around all of those lanes, when the floods hit.....chaos!

Tribansman

Veteran
Up early today to squeeze in a quick 30 mile loop before my lad woke up. A bit chilly but lovely and quiet, hardly saw any cars despite sticking to main rides to minimise ice risk. Had a close encounter with an owl but otherwise pretty uneventful.

Great to start the festive period with a ride and just got back as the sun was coming up...

IMG_20201225_070923.jpg

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Up early today to squeeze in a quick 30 mile loop before my lad woke up. A bit chilly but lovely and quiet, hardly saw any cars despite sticking to main rides to minimise ice risk. Had a close encounter with an owl but otherwise pretty uneventful.

Great to start the festive period with a ride and just got back as the sun was coming up...

View attachment 565035
Mini ck 1 had already cleaned downstairs before i came down at 5 am ! i dont think he went to sleep , good frost here and i doubt i will get out today anyway as mrs ck always goes to the crem to lay flowers at her mother and her brothers spot then having FIL around all day for dinner / tea .
Good frost here too so the roads would be a bit dodgy .
Plan to ride tomorrow morning before mrs ck goes to work so im planning a similar distance to yours then the club is planning a social ride monday

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Cold out this morning and the roads busier than expected. On a whim I thought ship, tank and plane. All with in a reasonable potter. Nice couple of hours out and back for coffee.

Attachments

• 20201225_101038.jpg
    20201225_101038.jpg
    357.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 20201225_095757.jpg
    20201225_095757.jpg
    335.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 20201204_105327.jpg
    20201204_105327.jpg
    326.8 KB · Views: 3

ianbarton

Veteran
Christmas Eve ride. Quite sunny early in the day when I took the dog for a walk. However, by midday the sky was covered on grey cloud, but at least it wasn't windy. We needed some fire lighters, so I used this as an excuse to ride into Market Drayton. Morrisons was relatively uncrowded and there was no queue. I only wanted a sandwich in addition to the firelighters, so Happy Days! Unfortunately, the one thing that was out of stock was fire lighters. Quick trip to Wilco's who had lots of stock.

Another brief pause at Sainsbury's local to buy a sandwich and a couple of snacks. I was intending to stop and eat these next to the big pond at Moreton Say. However, it was cold and dreary so I decided to carry on all the way back home. I was wearing some new gloves, which had been OK on previous cold days. It wasn't that cold (6C), but I had lost all feeling in my hands and my core felt cold. I speeded up to try and generate more heat, but by the time I got home, I had to weld myself to the Aga to get warm again. Maybe I should have eaten something when I started to feel cold. At least I had added another 42km to this year's total.

Mike_P

Guru
Christmas day cold and sunny, and too tempting so, on the basis there could be ice about, the ebike again as it's wide tyres would cope better. With a complete lack of originality largely yesterdays ride in reverse
Passed a family all seemingly on new bikes and then on the first noticeable upgrade of note discovered I had not pushed the battery back on properly.
That fixed, signs for ice were out on Bilton Lane but it had definitely melted, however there was clearly ice about on the cycleway towards Wetherby Road.
Back to normality on showground hill with the gate closed and thereafter to make up for yesterday a dog wanting to savage me.
Ice reappeared in the Country Park although of the instant collapse and melt variety when wheeled over.
11.98 miles 926ft upwards
Merry Christmas everyone.

Last edited:

bagpuss

Guru
The Derwent Valley north from Derby for a jolly in winter sun today .
The A6 on a normal day is far from pleasent given the volume of motor traffic it can carry . Today was different ,waiting until 1130 for the frost to lift I headed out ,first through Duffield village which has some fine geogian houses fronting the A6 ,it also once boasted a castle but nothing now remains of note . Crossing the river at Milford and its derelict mill . Onwards to nail town which is better known as Belper .Why nail town ? in its history it had a cottage industry of nail makers . The East Mill is another of Belpers land marks.
50759019837_1963d0cc12_z.jpg The East Mill .Belper .Derbyshire . by rebalrid, on Flickr
Along the valley to Whatstands well recrossing the river here . Cromford reached again it has much of interest . Including the worlds fist spinning cotton mill . Willersley castle the home of cotton maker Richard Arkwright can also be seen .
50758175528_5c7920d28c_z.jpg Willersley Castle .Cromford by rebalrid, on Flickr
A little further is Massons Mill . This was a very busy shopping village until recently but with the closure of Edinburgh Woolen Mills its future is in doubt.
50758241848_9ec6e4c93a_z.jpg Massons Mill .Matlock. by rebalrid, on Flickr

Into Matlock Bath proper .On any other day of the year it would be busy, today a ghost town . The gorge its self is lovely .

50759018857_2802304db4_z.jpg The gorge at Matlock Bath . Derbyshire . by rebalrid, on Flickr

50759018032_fb3f87c199_z.jpg Gorge At Matlock Bath .Derbyshire . by rebalrid, on Flickr
On into Matlock town its self and crossing the Derwent twice here .
A good view of Ribber Castle is gained .
50758176198_c94e63352d_z.jpg Ribber Castle . Derbyshire . by rebalrid, on Flickr

Retracing back along an even quiter A6 and to my left Crich stand, resplendent in the low winter sun .
50759019592_3fd6ea6327_z.jpg Crich Stand Derbyshire . by rebalrid, on Flickr
So a ride rich in history and little traffic for once .

Last edited:
Top Bottom