Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bluenotebob

Veteran
Apologies for rambling on a bit, but they're all little pieces of transport/sociological history (as in; trade/movement of people & goods)

This is great stuff ... probably worthy of its own thread. If you start one, I have a couple of contributions of my own to make .. following long-defunct railway lines by bike, and walking an ancient track, in central Brittany.

This is great stuff ... probably worthy of its own thread. If you start one, I have a couple of contributions of my own to make .. following long-defunct railway lines by bike, and walking an ancient track, in central Brittany.

Sorry, I can't just now
I was just about to the turn the laptop off, as I have to get ready for work (start at 13:00, till 22:00)
I can have a look, when I get home/changed/drinking rea?

Can you think of a good title/opening paragraph?

bluenotebob

Veteran
Sorry, I can't just now
I was just about to the turn the laptop off, as I have to get ready for work (start at 13:00, till 22:00)
I can have a look, when I get home/changed/drinking rea?

Can you think of a good title/opening paragraph?

I don't think there's any urgency .. it was just a suggestion.

Something like 'Exploring Old Ways By Bike' would probably suffice - and it's not too limiting. I'm not sure about a home for it - perhaps in 'General Cycling Discussions' ?

The longer you make the opening paragraph, the less likely it is to be read. I would just start out with a few lines (and photos) about one of your recent trips and then ask if anyone else has done anything similar.

Old jon

Guru
More sunshine! The temptation is just too strong, I have to take advantage. One thing that I forgot to do was buy a cap. No hair on top of the head just invites sunburn. But sunburn or not, I am off for a ride.

The route today was produced a few days back, so I suppose I was impatient to ride it. Almost inevitably there are a lot of familiar roads to cover, but it is all riding. And different every time. So, onto the canal towpath in Holbeck and off again at Viaduct Road, ready for the pedal up to Headingley. There was rather more traffic than recently, understandable maybe, and not a problem. Up to Lawnswood, just by the playing fields it looked like a club was meeting, three riders already there. Turn right just after this, pass the church and then the dam at Adel. And scare a jay at the side of the road.

Ride by the eastern side of Golden Acre Park then turn left to go to Bramhope. The next turn is a right to whizz down Pool Bank. All that great free speed, brilliant! Then the valley bottom road to Otley. Cross the Wharfe here and go straight on up Billams Hill. Turn left onto Weston Lane at the top, meet the roadworks. Not for long though. Leave the last fringe of Otley behind, the road is rising as this happens. It then kicks up quite sharply for not very far, before easing off nicely on the way to Weston.

Askwith is next, little video camera refusing to work, and I turned right to ride past the village hall. Reached Town Head and thought I was doing well up the hill. Wrong!! There is still three hundred feet to go up. And I stopped twice in that. Eventually Weston Moor Road was reached, and a right turn to return to Otley.

Enough uphill, I thought, homeward is easy on Leeds Road. Turn right on the edge of Bramhope and soon find Otley Old Road. Up to Cookridge and then downhill through Headingley and Kirkstall to ride into town centre on the road. Again the thought of a beer before home and shower, nope, it will be better later. Outside my front door, big smile, forty miles and 2654 feet going up. ‘Tis a lot for me, but good with it.

The garthing doodles rather well again.

22042021.jpg

2204elev.jpg

Dwn

An absolutely perfect day here, so took the train to Helensburgh and cycled back to Glasgow via Loch Lomond and Balloch.

Despite having driven and cycled through Helensburgh many times I was totally unprepared for the 1.25 mile hill immediately on leaving the station. No chance for the legs to unstiffen after the train journey, but some lovely scenery along the way.

First time in short sleeve jersey this year (albeit a few miles before I could remove the arm warmers). Not long until summer.

Attachments

• EB27BE06-C2C8-4058-B6C2-A3DF911DCEEC.jpeg
    EB27BE06-C2C8-4058-B6C2-A3DF911DCEEC.jpeg
    99.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 3A8CF713-2BDD-4051-A573-EF86BB1C739B.jpeg
    3A8CF713-2BDD-4051-A573-EF86BB1C739B.jpeg
    135.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 7F70796A-8D12-4F94-9FD6-690F72EFC614.jpeg
    7F70796A-8D12-4F94-9FD6-690F72EFC614.jpeg
    215.7 KB · Views: 6
So the last time I cycled to St Ediths in Shocklach there was an outdoor 'covid' service on and I didn't want to intrude, no such problems today.

Built in 1150 and in such a quiet spot, Norman so rare for Cheshire and not easy to find.

Then onwards south in the warm sunshine to Worthenbury. Lets roll on around 600 years to a fine Georgian church, St Deiniols.

Still heading south plenty of cyclists about (for a thursday) on the backroads.

Bangor on Dee bridge. Stopped for a breather and watched an old gent fly fishing, very relaxing!
33.5 miles total, has to be the best days cycling this year :sun:.

pjd57

Veteran
First big run in over a year.
It sort of grew a bit as we went along .

The climb out of Largs towards Kilbirnie was brutal.
But we made it .
Even managed the Clyde tunnel on the way home.

old railway theme
This my cycling life!
The southern end of NCN27 is composed of two old railways, Southern from Okehampton to Lydford, then a bit of the onward route through Tavistock. This stops at the A388 and the path crawls across the town until it joins the old Plym Valley GWR line down to the A38 at Marsh Mills, with a detour over Leg O'Mutton and Yelverton.
The actual rail route leaves Horrabridge and dives into a long looping tunnel until emerging in Yelverton, where once you had a choice between continuing down to Plymouth, or going out, slowly, to Princetown.
Makes for good cycling, but is getting a bit tatty in places.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Three rides yesterday. :addict:

Morning: For various reasons I haven't managed to get a proper ride in for a week so I made sure to get out and enjoy the sunshine. It was lovely and bright out but quite chilly with a frost on the grass and cars so layers were needed. I used the knockabout bike for convenience and chose my regular Longnor, Acton Burnell, Harnage, Condover route.

I was setting out as the rush hour was under way so I headed over Lyth Hill so as to be on the A49 for the shortest time possible. Although the road was busy I got a good gap in the traffic when it did come. Heading south through Ryton to Longnor I had a quiet road, only sharing it with a cyclist ahead who I never caught. At Longnor there was a flood even though it hasn't rained for ages. The presence of some chaps from Severn-Trent gave away the fact that it's a burst water pipe.

I couldn't seem to muster much speed on what is usually a reasonably fast section through Frodesley to Acton Burnell. Not sure if I had a headwind or I just didn't have the legs today. After Acton Burnell I could tell that there was a headwind on the way to Cound Moor but it seemed quite light. There were some works going on at Harnage and the only signs on both approaches ststated that traffic would be delayed for 15 minutes, which seemed oddly specific. Was I supposed to stop and wait 15 minutes before proceeding?:unsure:

I didn't get a good look at the flag of the day at Cound. It was a Blue Ensign with a coat of arms on the fly but that's all I could tell this time. At Cound Stank I decided to vary the route and head towards Pitchford then Cantlop before another whim took me to Boreton then Condover.

I had a bit of a tailwind on the way back to the A49 and found that road much quieter than it had been earlier on.

25 miles at 12.7 mph average.

View to the Wrekin from near Harnage.

The solar farm at Boreton.

Blossom by the church in Condover.

Afternoon: Just a quick trip towards town to help in a garden. Todays task was to lift the remains of a lawn, which proved to be hard going as the dry clay soil is like concrete (it's got to be done manually as the access is too tight to get any machinery through. The owner even had to buy a special wheelbarrow as a normal sized one won't fit). About six miles for this one.

Evening: A ride over to @gavgav to give his road bike its spring checkover. The Raleigh got an outing for this one and so did my new Carradice panniers. On the way there the traffic was unusually heavy and it turned out that there had been an accident on the A5 - both cars had caught fire resulting in the road being closed.

After working on the bike I decided to make a ride out of it and took a more scenic route home. Leaving town via Weeping Cross the traffic was still rather thromboid and although I couldn't see where the incident was I could smell the reek of burning rubber as I neared the A5. There was a police car on the slip road here with an officer having a serious discussion with the driver of a pickup pointed the wrong way.

A few people were rat running along the lanes to try and get round the closure but by some luck it wasn't too bad while I was riding towards Kingstreet, then streams of traffic went by while I was paused in a gateway for photos and it was fairly quiet again once I continued. It only got busy again for a short while after Condover on the much wider road.

The A49 was also closed (overnight roadworks) and when I reached it the traffic went quiet again so I had it practically to myself.

10.4 miles at 13.3 mph average. Nice to be out on a lovely clear evening.

A couple of shots from the gateway near the Kingstreet crossroads.

Last edited:

Tribansman

Veteran
A 4 counties - Herts, Essex, Cambs, Central Beds - century for me today under the stunning blue sky sunshine. Didn't stop to take many photos but a couple captured the day nicely...

Had a weird cramp pain in one of my calves right at the start that recurred intermittently, so took it slightly easier than usual. Still, was home by 3.30 so plenty of time to stuff my face with leftover Thai curry and a Cadburys Creme Egg ice cream before my other half gets home and it's tea time ^_^

20210423_090440.jpg

20210423_140713.jpg

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
A day off today so out on the Roubaix at 11am, fabulous weather, the first ride in bib shorts this year. A relatively flat ride out to Pocklington for lunch, posh poached eggs on toast with pea shoots! Back home via York with a quick stop at the Triumph garage for a look at some motorbikes, very tempted.
64.45 miles with an average of 16.1 mph.

Bobbie photobombed the first pic🐶

24AA7105-1C1F-4B92-A567-8A7A425A6CD0.jpeg

16B4804C-D417-4CE5-BEFC-8E5F63D0DFA7.jpeg

2DD5AF86-C720-4D42-9E6C-F4A2751C3886.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom