Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davelincs

Monday’s lunchtime ride, still cool but less wind, the council have started closing some road to re surface with chipping,s , best find a different route for few weeks

bagpuss

Guru
I'm glad you've had great weather for it.:okay:

Unfortunately, with one thing and another I haven't been out on the bike the last few days otherwise our paths might have crossed.
When seeing other cyclist on the lanes I have been wondering are they forum memebers? I know there are at least 3 or 4 who frequent the area . On Sunday I chatted with a fellow CTC veteran named Alan from Shrewsbury . For over thirty years I have been visiting the network of lanes in Shropshire and they make for some of the finest cycling in the country imho . For me "The blue remembered Hills " always comes to mind .And yes there are plenty of hills!!

jongooligan

Legendary Member
For over thirty years I have been visiting the network of lanes in Shropshire and they make for some of the finest cycling in the country imho .

Bang on. First time visitor in 2019 - had a great time on the bike (and on foot in the hills). Also has my favourite campsite in the country and some marvellous pubs. Can't wait to get back but will have to wait until all the facilities on campsites are open.

Old jon

Guru
Sunshine and shivery, but a bit early. Someone suggested a club ride, I put my hand up, and after a bit more messaging we had a quorum and a destination. A destination not far away from the ride I did last Sunday. But the route would be different.

And it was different. From the meeting point the usual route to Barwick is inflicted with a road closure, so we used the Wykebeck Way, traversed a bit of Seacroft and passing the village green on the way to Barwick Road. Which we rode along all the way to that village. Aberford next, and the almost obligatory pedal past the gates at Lotherton Hall. This road goes to Towton and the A162, an almost busy road that reaches Tadcaster after a few miles, where we stopped at the side of the River Wharfe for refuelling purposes.

We left Tadcaster on yet another stretch of the A659, this road is scattered all over Yorkshire, it seems. Bar Lane leads to Bramham and the road away from there in the direction of Thorner. Maybe a mile from Bramham we took the right turn which leads to Holme Farm Lane and Milner Lane. We followed this to Scarcroft. Crossed the A58 to ride up by the side of the golf course to Tarn Lane and then Slaid Hill.

A stop for a natter, and the group splintered, going our separate ways after a cracking good ride in rather wonderful weather. Back across Leeds for me, today no need of an excursion around the block when I reached home. Forty one miles ridden, and a surprising 2260 feet of climbing done. And still a grin, of course, the day was good.

Cartography, I think,

20042021.jpg

2004elev.jpg

bagpuss

Guru
Clun is one of my many favorite villages {impossible to pick only one} Lazing by the river with its old bridge is hard to better . The Market town Ludlow also has much to offer . Bishops Castle another place you can lose the day in . Sadly some of its family run businesses have closed in recent years .

gavgav

Guru
A short ride after working from home. Just warm enough for shorts and t-shirt, which was nice after the weeks of cold weather.

Went through the local estate and then to Betton Abbots, Berrington, Eaton Mascott, Cound Stanks, Pitchford, Cantlop and reversing my steps from Betton again, to home.

Nothing really to report, which is nice sometimes and an enjoyable 12.49 miles at 12.1mph avg

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
A lovely, leisurely ride down to Ashdown Forest with @Trickedem today. A ride that included 6000+ feet of climbing. But with all that climbing comes fantastic views, and fantastic descents. It was worth the pain.
We also visited a 6000 year old burial chamber called a Coldrum Longbarrow in Trottiscliffe, a small village I cycled through a good few times not knowing the chamber existed.
So just over 100 imperial miles for the day. Even the weather played nice with sun for most of the day.Marvellous.
C#5 for the year C#293 over all.

a.twiddler

Veteran
20/4/21

A visit to my daughter and grandson in Newcastle. Expecting about a 44 mile round trip. Stretching my mileage after the last ride.

Packed some sandwiches and drinks. Another day similar to Sunday, with weak sun and a faint but noticeable wind. Checked spokes, put a tiny amount of air in the front tyre. I have fitted a budget Knog type mini light to the furthest end of the front carrier, the rationale being that a flashing light there should attract attention when the Linear pokes its snout out between cars or at a difficult junction. Not anticipating needing it on today’s trip, so it remains switched off.

What is the glamorous recumbenteer modelling today? Battered olive green cap, shades with clip on glasses mirror, nondescript T shirt, well worn comfortable blue cords, comfortable old shoes that just happen to work with these pedals. A blue fleece top as a reluctant concession to the wind. Also my peripatetic bike clips.

Out the back gate, through the lanes to Swanlow Lane, heading for Church Minshull and Crewe. The long downhill to Church Minshull is clear but the speedo stubbornly refuses to exceed 32mph. A steep climb to the Trent and Mersey canal bridge on the Crewe road but no worries, I have an extra range of low gears to call on since I went up it last time. Obstacle negotiated, speed rising gradually on the flat, hovering around 13 mph.

Eventually into Crewe, rolling through various traffic lights and negotiating traffic without having to stop. Getting into high gear and rolling along easily, using momentum rather than brute force to get over the new Sydney bridge and gaining speed again down the other side. At the end of Sydney Road the large roundabout is thronged with traffic so I decide to have a go at the pedestrian/cycle crossings to get on to University Way. A bit of a faff, I stop the traffic then take my chances on the road. However the traffic is persistent and after a quarter of a mile, feeling harrassed, I hop on to the left hand cycle way. A bit tedious, as at every junction and entrance you have to turn in for a few yards then turn tightly, cross over, then turn tightly again on to the path. It occurs to me that there are no markings on this side of the road though I pass a few cyclists. Also a bit overgrown in parts, and my speed is lower than it would be on the road. I stick with it as I want to turn left at the next roundabout on to Weston Road.

Despite the presence of a new bypass leading directly to the A500, the single carriageway Weston Road is packed with fast traffic and trucks heading for the M6. I find it very unpleasant, combined with an uphill slope keeping my speed down. Fortunately there is quite a wide pavement on my side of the road so though not wanting to be conspicuous by riding on the pavement, I hop on to it at a low kerb and try to look nonchalant. The nonchalance is rather strained by the sight of a cyclist coming the other way on the road at a good speed, presumably helped by the downhill. At the entrance to Crewe Hall I hop back on to the road and mix it with the traffic until I can take the right turn to Weston Village. There are still some speedy vehicles, mostly cars, but far less of them.

The sun is becoming quite strong and I am certainly hot after my exertions with the traffic so I stop in a farm entrance to look at my map and make use of my front carrier by strapping my fleece to it.

I continue in a more relaxed manner through this characterful old village until I reach my turn off left into Snape Lane, very up and down. A car follows me at a distance. I think that the driver is just looking at the peculiar bike as when I stop at a passing place on a steep hill he takes his time getting by. I am feeling pretty chilled by now and am enjoying the ups and downs. I come to a T junction with Rushy Lane on the Left and Englesea Brook Lane on the right. I follow Englesea Brook Lane to its junction with Nantwich road and turn left for Newcastle. This road has a gradual but relentless gradient and I find myself constantly changing gear to try and maintain 7-8 mph. Not a lot of traffic but what there is can be heard a long way away and is fast. I pass through Balterley still climbing. It’s a bit of an effort but eventually I cross over the M6 and come to a sort of summit.

Just as I am enjoying a brief downhill my next turning to the right appears to Carr Lane but still downhill to turn left on to Shraleybrook Lane. This lane is deceptively steep and I find myself in bottom gear at one point without realising but it eases and becomes less strenuous after that. I stop for a Kit Kat before tackling the climb ahead. I am climbing on Shraleybrook Lane when the sign for Halmer End comes in to view. Through the remains of the old railway bridge, then the road curves right and steepens.

Still manageable, but progress becomes slow. The pedals turn steadily, my legs begin to ache. Far ahead, it seems some neighbours are chatting outside their houses and watching as I windmill my way towards them. It seems an age before I pass them, and they gaze blankly at me. There are cars parked on both sides which creates an obstacle course when traffic is busy. Fortunately the road is quiet at the moment. Still some gears to go, I continue steadily. I am finding it hard to keep going in a straight line and it takes some concentration. I hear some engine noise behind me and glance over my shoulder. My front wheel darts to the left causing me to stop. I am in Alsager’s Bank now and the road ahead gets even steeper. Strange that there is no gradient signposting and even the OS map doesn’t show any chevron markings. I start off again and make good progress but the road steepens again and I find it impossible to continue in a straight line once speed falls below 3-4 mph. It’s not a shortage of gears because I can start and climb if the speed can be got above that critical point.

I get off and push. I am grateful that there aren’t many people about to witness it. Eventually the gradient lessens and I get on and climb the rest of the way to the top of the hill without any more issues except that I am getting extremely hot. I carry on over the top to Newcastle to carry out my grandparently duties.

What to do about the hill climbing issue? 1) Get tremendously fit so I can get uphill at a higher speed. (unlikely) 2) Plan routes to avoid issues. 3)Try different front tyre pressures. 4)Electric motor!
5) Learn to live with it. There can’t be that many steep hills on routes that I’m likely to use. Might rule out Wrynose/Hardnott in the lake district. 6)Try a trike.

On the way back I cover in five minutes what it took over 35 minutes to climb. Most of the route back is a high geared low effort breeze as it’s essentially continuously downhill to the beginning of University Way in Crewe. I follow the right hand pavement for most of the way then cross over and find the marked cycleway is laid out more conveniently than the generic pavement on the other side. I use the pedestrian/cycle crossings to get to Sydney Road then find it’s not so effortless making progress in this direction due to a persistent headwind. I grind on through Crewe which still seems to be a relatively quick transit. I wait behind a long traffic queue at the Middlewich Road traffic lights but manage to follow them all through at the first green.

Heading towards Church Minshull I hear voices behind me and expect to be passed by some roadies but cresting a small rise I change up and find speed rising despite the headwind. Shortly afterwards I look behind and they are nowhere to be seen. What can be seen is a large volume of traffic and as there is a steep narrow climb on the route I took outwards I decide to take a longer but potentially less hectic route home. I come to the canal bridge and downhill at Church Minshull, wait at the chicane over the Weaver bridge then continue straight on through the village, up a mild hill and turn right on the road to Wettenhall. Straight into a headwind! Well, just got to suck it up and press doggedly on. Several cars hurtle by as if their drivers’ hair is on fire as if to emphasise my slow progress. A roadie hurtles past, I suspect having wound himself into a frenzy to fly past then slow back down once out of sight. Or perhaps that’s just me rationalising. Like ole man river, I just keeps rollin’ along and eventually I come to Wettenhall and some shelter from the wind which allows my speed to increase marginally. However, the road changes direction and despite my best efforts I’m down to 7-8 mph again.

Before I know it I’m just uphill from Darnhall Bridge waiting for an obliging car to turn up to trigger the green, so that I can use the slope to get some speed to help me up the other side. Sure enough, one comes along and it does the trick.

About 100 yards from my back gate as I’m relaxing, going “aah” and psychologically ringing the engine room for half power I’m passed by a guy on a very vintage upright bike with what appears to be an acetylene lamp on the front. I have time to see faded black paint, red pinstripe lining, sprung saddle and a hub gear. I’m tempted to catch him and ask him about it but he turns off and the engine room says “Oi! What about this half power then!” so I just get on the pavement at an access point and head for my back gate.

No photos today even though the camera went along for the ride.

As I type this, no aches and pains despite mileage being 43.98. The maximum speed seems stuck at 32mph despite plenty of opportunities to improve today. Average speed a pusillanimous 9.5 mph.

Max elevation 1366ft
Max descent 1366ft
Start elevation 188ft
End elevation 188ft
Max Altitude 753ft
Min Altitude 56ft

Last edited:
A Test run for the Scott. Miserable failure in terms of front transmission, which essentailly limited the bike to 42t/12-36 1x system. That was actually not too bad for around here, but if I'm really going to be limited to 1x, then I'll refit the 39t...
There's definitely a problem somewhere that I'm not seeing. Maybe the shifter is borked. The fd is good, and I've stripped it off and made sure it is.
The ride: went out north on 27 via the council offices and Old Exeter Road and the railway line path over Wilminstone viaduct, then around and down to Pitts Cleeve. On to the A386 there and zoom back into town with a slight tailwind, and rejoin 27 to go the reverse of the normal end of my rides. Out to Horrabridge giving it some beans, trying to keep the average in double figures. Success on that front, at least!
The Scott is nice, when it works. It is certainly nice to have brakes! But I now have to rethink what I want from this pair of bikes - the third bike, the Trek 800 Sport is sold, and departing tomorrow morning. :sad: Needs must, nowhere to keep it anymore.
Stats:

Weather fine, bit breezy, very quiet on the path.

Wednesday 21st

Bike selected; CGR, as I was in the woods, on tracks used by MTBs & m/bikes
Weather; quite cool, no cloud, blue skies, slight breeze
Photographs from today; unless dated otherwise
Geograph used; to illustrate points not covered by my own images (& to give a map location)

Just a potter about, initially into NewLands Woods, via the route used en-route to work, on Monday 19th

Then once through, where the Hall stood, a bit of detour onto some of the other tracks

Finding, at first, what appears to be a cellar of the old Hall
(I understand that there's an ice-house somewhere nearby!)

DSCF6920.JPG

Close-by there's the remainders of the farm-buildings
https://britishlistedbuildings.co.u...hall-newland-with-woodhouse-moor#.YICfxp-SnIU
DSCF6918.JPG

Then a drop onto the track between the '3 ponds' (ex clay-pits) & the River Calder
(this was taken, when I'd turned round to head back downstream)

I'm just on the upper edge of the blue-circle on the OS map
https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/6788443

Road-Trip. 55.jpg

https://www.stanleyhistoryonline.com/Newland-Estate

Then it was back down to 'Stanley Ferry' & onto Ferry Lane, for the short spin to the 'Nagger Lines', as a short-cut to Aberford Road, at the junction with LimePit Lane

There's long been a difference of opinion over the naming of it
One side reckons 'Nag' as in Horse
The other, taken from Aire & Calder Navigation Canal

Looking along from Ferry Lane
https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/6493125

You can follow the 'Naggers' back north-west to their origin, at Lofthouse Colliery
And, to the east side of the A&CNC, the railway can be seen whose path has featured before in this thread
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=18&lat=53.70199&lon=-1.46355&layers=168&b=1

Once I'd gained the height, by climbing Baker Lane ('Bread Baker' at one point in time)
I'd reached the old Canal Lane bridge, where another wagonway passed under the Lane

The bridge is back-filled now, underneath, but I went to the infant/junior school to the far side of it, & can remember the bridge being 'open' underneath it, until well into my 20s
DSCF6928.JPG

The wagon-way(?) was gone by the time this map was surveyed (1905), but it's still there on the ground
And, the bridge above is quite substantial, with the 2 lines over the top, the wagon-way under it, & the Lane itself
Plus, to add to that, it's a 'skew bridge' (at almost 45 degrees)

This is the route of the wagonway just north of the bridge, it peters out now, being ploughed up & blocked by a compound
DSCF6922.JPG

Apologies, there seems to be no photographs on Geograph of this route
This culvert still exists in reasonable condition, taking Lee Moor Beck under the embankment
DSCF6923.JPG

And we reach the end, as a walk/ride it continues, by dropping to field level

Back down at LimePit Lane, there's a survivor of the wagonway, crossing it
Information boards are in the process of being made for the kerbside

We are looking north-west, following the ascending gradient

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/978706

Not the best image, due to the 'fisheye' effect, but it's this gauge
DSCF6931.JPG

And after a gentle sweep, over what are now playing fields, it crosses Aberford Road (the TurnPike, between there & Wakefield) to become part of the 'TPT'
Looking towards Ferry Lane
DSCF6933.JPG

I hope at least one person enjoyed reading this, if so, it was worthwhile writing it

The last line featured
http://www.lostrailwayswestyorkshire.co.uk/Railway Ramblers Wakefield.htm

Excellent , always plenty of interest to be found when exploring old railway lines and byways etc .

Yes!
Even when not converted into 'greenways', but still with (presumably) public access

Even the busier (in their day!) routes are worth looking at

EG;

The Great North Road

1. 'Bramham Crossroads'
Where the A1 & A64 intersect, & when it was crossroads!
The early 1900kerbstones are still there
Drivers heading from Leeds to York, pass this every day, 99.9% with no idea about it
I'm looking northwards along (what was) the 'GNR'

2. Ledsham
The road-markings from the roundabout that was there, are still visible on the footpath/cycle-lane

On this 1986 OS, it's the red northbound 'slip' at Selby Fork
And in the 1950s, the 'Fork' was very apparant!!
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=15&lat=53.76439&lon=-1.29759&layers=10&b=1

3. Micklefield
It's still the 'GNR' through there, & a glorious flower bed is still in existance stating ('2000 Years Of Anglo-Scottish Trade')
This is opposite Church Lane, which cuts through to (Roman) Ridge Road, that joins Castleford (Lagentivm) to HookMoor/Aberford

'RRR' is a continuation of the Roman route that left Dere Street at (what to us is..) Barnsdale Bar, on the A1

4. 'Red House'
Where the A1 intersects the A638 (Wakefield- Doncaster road)
This is part of the pre-bypass 'GNR'
Complete with white-lines & cats-eyes!

5. Wentbridge Cutting
This was once one of the most feared sections of the 'GNR', where drivers asked passengers to dismount to give the horses a better change in the coaching days
The tarmac road is the post-1830 deviation, where my bike rests was the route before then
It's a bit steeper!

(Wentbridge was bypass was opended in 1961, with the A1 passing over the Went Viaduct)

Apologies for rambling on a bit, but they're all little pieces of transport/sociological history (as in; trade/movement of people & goods)

Last edited:
Top Bottom