Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Today's Ride

NorwichNorthLoop.jpg

I went round the ride above. Very nice it was too.

I had decided, that as Hubster is not wanting to ride much more than 20 miles and I do, that I'd better get on with it while he's watching netflix at dialysis. The sun was shining but it wasn't baking, so I greased up, liberally, with Factor 50 and got on my bike. Before I did, I stole reappropriated the bottle cage from Hubster's CX bike for the ride. 2 x 750ml bidons have to be better than 1, I reckon.

Whizzing through Drayton was nice, the wind was behind me and I passed Horsford and managed to cross the busy A140 very easily, which is a minor miracle in itself. At the Spixworth turning I headed to the left as originally planned. I had decided that when I got to that point I would then make the decision as to which of 3 rides that I was going to do, either last night's ride, a longer ride which would finish up at about 26 miles for the nearly 32 miler that I rather fancied. My knee was aching last night where I had given it a bang somewhere, I have a massive bruise and it felt rather odd last night.

Anyway I went left and rode through Frettenham and Crostwick and then through a humungous puddle - slowly as I couldn't see the bottom of it and was worried about hitting a pot-hole and falling in/off depending on your viewpoint. I meant to take a pic but there was a large tractor and trailer wanting to follow me through so I didn't. Getting squished flat by a tractor was not on my 'to do' list today. I eventually arrived at the edge of Coltishall and stopped to move my water bottles about while watching the canoeists mucking about.
Coltishall1%20800x800.jpg
and
Coltishallcanoe%20800x434.jpg

The road brought me out at The Recruiting Sergeant PH (very nice sarnies they do too, if you are in the area) so I headed right and to Coltishall Island and then on to Wroxham. I hate Wroxham during Grockle Season, it's full of grockles for a start. Wandering hither thither, they can't bloody drive or take any notice of a 'no right turn sign' (I know I can't shout but I got off my bike and became a pedestrian, crossed the road and got back on again). The estate car towing a grockle-box was getting in all sorts of problems trying to turn right there. Numpty!

Coming out of Wroxham, once over the bridge (stopping at the top to take a picture of the broad is another grockle habit. Not good for traffic flow) I had to get a wiggle on as there were roadworks and a drop top beemer wanted to pass me. I took the lane, ably assisted by a fit looking chap on a Spesh (phwor - fit bloke, not the bike). He was very complimentary about Bluey.:shy:

I decided that the Wroxham Road was a stupid place to be and headed off to the left, up and down 'delicate hills' as they used to be known locally, past Salhouse Church and then down Honeycomb Road to Little Plumstead and the Brickilns Pub. I stopped for a second or 5 there, to move water from one bidon to another and to have a minute or so in the shade.
Easy ride from there, straight up the Plumstead Road to Thorpe, over the Heartsease roundabout and down Ketts Hill. I might ring the council about the roundabout at the bottom as the plant growth is so massive that it hides all the oncoming traffic, unless it's a big thing like a truck. It took ages to get onto that roundabout and round.
Once on the Marriotts Way it was easy riding, then up through Costessey, getting lost on the cyclepaths through Bowthorpe and out at Colney and to the hospital.
31.83 miles in 2:12:57 so averaging a nice 14.4mph. My garmin said that I had climbed 1257' but by the time it got to my laptop, someone had nicked some feet and I'd climbed 674'. There are nearly 600' missing and I would like to know where they have gone. I climbed them and I'm entitled to them and I would like them back. Apart from the theft of feet climbed, my Garmin is behaving perfectly :dance:

Mandragora

Little one squeezed in during an unpaid 'blank' of time I have at work - it felt lovely to walk out of the meeting, quick change and whizz away from the building. I only have about an hour and a half in total, but if I hadn't got out, I know I'd have ended up just doing work for free. Lovely ride up some spiky hills and back with just enough time to down a quick sandwich, freshen up and get back to work. Loving my part-time job!

Twinks

Über Member
I've been doing a local loop of about 26km when I haven't got much time and need a good workout. At first I was about 1hr 5mins (it has two proper climbs and is lumpy all the way)........then after a bit I got it down to 1hr 1min 45 sec. One hour was my target

I was feeling a bit fed up cos 1min 45 sec is quite a distance. So I decided to have another go today. Gave it everything I've got and , with about 15 minutes to go I could tell it was going to be close. Up the second big hill (Chunal for you locals) I gave it everything and I was looking hopeful. Blasted down the other side into Glossop......only to find someone blocking the road reversing a horse trailer into a driveway (@Lilmo I hope that wasn't you cos I muttered some rude words under my breath). Had to slow right down from 40mph to about 10mph.

I live on a 16% hill so last max effort up there. Stop the timer.

1 hour 0 minutes 20 seconds.......bugger. Unfinished business.

Twasn't me @nickyboy 'cos if it was it would have truly boogered up your times:laugh:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Had a pleasant little ride near Shuttleworth, with a pleasant tea stop at Southill. Someone was flying a fecking noisy plane overhead.
Bloody Vulcans, coming over here, breaking our sky...
It was totally magnificent, very loud, and very very :becool:
And it's in Swansea next weekend. As am I :hyper:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
IMG_20150706_143625549.jpg
A difficult one to record. A two mile ride/walk towards Washington Pass 5400ft. A thumbed lift to the summit then a twenty mile freewheel descent to Mazuma. I have no guilt about the lift. The climb would have killed me in this enduring heat wave.

I'm currently very unsteady on my feet after drinking lots of IPA at a bike shop and the home of an ER doctor.

Lullabelle

Banana

Lullabelle

Banana
Only a short 25 miles today on tour ( The Netherlands)between Maassen and Amersfoort. Its too hot for much else.

Used Google maps today with the talkie lady. It was superb and took us along some beautiful bike paths. It even took us past the hotel that BMC were staying in and they were checking out so hung on a bit to see if i could spot Rohan Dennis. I didn't but i was surprised to see how far out of Utrecht they were staying.

View attachment 95023 View attachment 95026 View attachment 95027 View attachment 95028 View attachment 95029

Lovely pics and stunning scenery :thumbsup:

KEEF

Veteran
Today my ride was a none ride due to Zeus my dog dislocating my shoulder in hot pursuit of a rabbit:eek:.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
A bit late to post the weekend ride. But 4 of us set out Sunday morning leaving Enfield at 8am, Heading towards Clavering Lake, About an 80 mile ride there and back, it started to rain after about an hour, We was making good time my other half riding really well. We had about 5 miles to go to get there, Going up a hill she was standing up and pushing hard when suddenly the rear wheal lost grip and spat her of. After a couple of minutes to recover she picked herself up, we checked to bike over,The handle bars had moved slightly and i could see the rear derailleur hanger was slightly bent, but still ride able. Of we went got to the cafe had a nice breakfast, By the time we had finished eating it had stopped raining and was starting to brighten up. the rest of the ride was uneventful, Got a couple of miles from home and stopped for a pint or two.
Deb was in a bit of pain but she thought it was just bruised, Any way she woke up Tuesday morning after a restless night, Went to the doctors who said she should go for an xray. Up to the hospital turns out she has a fractured collar bone, So she will be off the bike for a few days. I think she done really well to get back on the bike after the crash and ride 45 miles to get home, She is a star.:okay:
deb%20arm.jpg

Last edited:

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
A bit late to post the weekend ride. But 4 of us set out Sunday morning leaving Enfield at 8am, Heading towards Clavering Lake, About an 80 mile ride there and back, it started to rain after about an hour, We was making good time my other half riding really well. We had about 5 miles to go to get there, Going up a hill she was standing up and pushing hard when suddenly the rear wheal lost grip and spat her of. After a couple of minutes to recover she picked herself up, we checked to bike over,The handle bars had moved slightly and i could see the rear derailleur hanger was slightly bent, but still ride able. Of we went got to the cafe had a nice breakfast, By the time we had finished eating it had stopped raining and was starting to brighten up. the rest of the ride was uneventful, Got a couple of miles from home and stopped for a pint or two.
Deb was in a bit of pain but she thought it was just bruised, Any way she woke up Tuesday morning after a restless night, Went to the doctors who said she should go for an xray. Up to the hospital turns out she has a fractured collar bone, So she will be off the bike for a few days. I think she done really well to get back on the bike after the crash and ride 45 miles to get home, She is a star.:okay:
Chapeau.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
deb%20arm.jpg
Chapeau from me too. Also, ouch :blink: and GWS :okay:.

Top Bottom