Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I'm in north Norfolk for a couple of days at my parents house. Heading home tomorrow, but managed a short 12 miler to Wells and back to shop and see an elderly neighbour who I've known most of my life who's just moved into a home there.

View attachment 95444

On entering the Holkham estate, I rode under the Triumphal Arch. In 30 odd years of doing so, I've never quite known whether I'm allowed to or not, but no one's told me not to yet, so I'll just carry on! Lets face it, it's not a bad route to the shops!

View attachment 95445

Further along, the obelisk.

View attachment 95446

Holkham Hall.

My kickstand is currently broken, so getting used to propping the beast up against fences like the above deer fence, is proving a real hassle. Can't wait to get the thing fixed.

View attachment 95447

Arrived at Wells where the tourists were busy antagonising the local crab population. It was High tide- I always love the place when the water's in. Lots of yachts over from Holland. I guess it's only just across the way really.

Went into a shop and couldn't find my wallet. After a mild panic, it turns out I'd dropped it yesterday at West Newton on the way here outside the butchers there. The lovely Folks at West Newton butchers kept it safe for me to collect. Chapeau to them! Phew. I'm forever losing the damn thing. Will take them a few beers on my way back in thanks tomorrow.

Saw my neighbour and headed back, arriving just before a massive cloudburst. Seems like my luck's in at the moment!

Heading back home tomorrow. Always love being back in Norfolk though.

Holkham is part of the Norwich 100 miler for BHF.. I have no idea whether it is OK to ride at other times. I was about to suggest writing to the owner, Edward Coke, 7th Earl of Leicester, to ask, but he popped his clogs earlier this year. Maybe the 8th Earl could help?

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Holkham is part of the Norwich 100 miler for BHF.. I have no idea whether it is OK to ride at other times. I was about to suggest writing to the owner, Edward Coke, 7th Earl of Leicester, to ask, but he popped his clogs earlier this year. Maybe the 8th Earl could help?

He once held a gate open for me to ride through- top bloke!

Holkham's fine to ride through all year round. My route today was from New Holkham (from the south) past the hall then swing east to Wells, ( to near the community hospital). You have to wheel your bike through ped gates at entrances and there are a few cattle grids, but its no problem. Often, the place is shut to cars but not us, so you pretty much have the place to yourself.

Keith Oates

Janner
Jing Jiang Park.
6c. JJ Park.jpg

Nice commute in today making good progress again after Mondays plod in which seemed like hard work(sorry no pics).

Nice to get back in the swing of things again after taking a break from the bikes over the week-end(was in Bristol and Cardiff for a few days).Not too many hold-ups on the cycle path today especially as there are less rowers about and the Planet X is riding like a dream after some fettling last week.

Not bad an average really considering the bikes on 32 Randonneurs and half the commutes on a loose surfaced path(a bit Strade Bianche esque in a way);

https://www.strava.com/activities/342147332

Needed to get going again as I'm doing the Suffolk Spinner epic next week-end so will be doing an in and out commute tomorrow and the club run on Saturday(plus maybe a bit extra),a couple of commutes next week then will back it off after Wednesday.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My ride yesterday should have been 25 miles in temperatures of 90+ °F but I was kidnapped in Winthrop at 15 miles and taken to a birthday party 20 miles away where I was made to eat fantastic food, drink beer and have a good time.

My kidnappers then took me back to a camp site in Winthrop where the owner insisted that I had a teepee at the same price as a tent pitch before forcing free beer on me.

View attachment 95400
Winthrop

View attachment 95401
The party.

View attachment 95402
The party venue backdrop

View attachment 95403
The teepee
Ha ha - it's a tough life, but someone has to enjoy it! :okay:

13 rider

Guru
Found an hour spare during holiday preparations so decided on some hills in training for Cornish terrain .Out through Newtown Linford and right up Ulverscoft lane to the first climb Pollybotts lane right at the crossroads and down priory lane .maxed out at 44.5 mph that's the fastest I been on a bike up to now then hit the uphill section of priory lane up that climb then down over the crossroads up maplewell rd into Woodhouse eaves left at the bottom through the village then left onto beacon hill and the long climb up to the top .Over the top down to the crossroads and then the quick steady descent pass the golf course at the crossroads took the right and onto Warren hill a steep bugger with no run up .Then downhill into Newtown Linford via Sharply hill then one last climb my favourite strava segment ( pr again now 31 sec .8 more for Kom who am I kidding) 13.8 miles done at 15.2mph 1267 feet climbing. Pr on all the climbs and most segments but most were the first time I done some of them on the Giant Defy. Defy now safely stowed away as I am taking the hybrid on holiday .I think I am ready for Cornish hills we will soon see .

Last edited:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I decided to go and see Auntie today. Auntie lives in Lower Slaughter which is about 40 odd miles away. So up and at 'em early (for me) brekky, dogs walked, testicles, spectacles, wallet and watch loaded and off I went on the road bike.

A stunning cool sunny day with blues sky and cotton wool clouds, a little bit of a headwind but nothing to sap the energy. Through Wantage during the rush hour is a bit of a fairground ride, and along the boring 417 to Faringdon, then after that quiet country lanes, surrounding farmland and rolling hills, through stunning Cotswold villages of The Barringtons, Clapton on the Hill, Bourton on the Water and then my destination, Lower Slaughter a pretty village which is split in two by a large stream. 41.85 miles

A cup of tea, a warm fresh home made scone with Fortnum and Mason's Champagne Strawberry jam, a fresh sausage roll, and a ham and pickle sandwich with fresh bread from the local baker, (in that order).

Then set off back in more or less the reverse order, except for a ride through The Rissingtons to The Barringtons and onwards. 81.22 miles in all. Slight tale wind on the way back and it felt mostly down hill too but I might be imagining it. I stopped in the way back in Faringdon for a disappointing Magnum, only to be accosted by the town idiot who kept asking me how much my bike cost, and the explaining to me about ten time that he used to be a lorry driver.

1-IMG_1948.JPG

Some peas.

2-IMG_1954.JPG

Stowe in The Wold somewhere over there.
3-IMG_1957.JPG

The Mill, Lower Slaughter.
4-IMG_1958.JPG

Lower Slaughter
5-IMG_1959.JPG

The fluffy clouds ( that's the actual correct meteorological name for them).

6-IMG_1961.JPG

A road.
7-IMG_1962.JPG

Radstone.
8-IMG_1964.JPG

I think this shop owner lost his "D's" and used a couple of upside down "P's"

9-IMG_1965.JPG

The old Town Hall Faringdon. The town loon is just behind the centre column.

Lower Slaughter.png

MikeW-71

Veteran
Lovely sunny day today and I was looking forward to having a good long ride, so why not go a new route?

Headed out through Wreay and cut across the lanes towards Dalston, then headed kinda northwest to get to the coast. It was a bit breezy out there and a lot of the first 30 miles were into the wind. That's fine as it's relatively flat here, but it sure makes some of the inclines a bit of a slog. Anyway, I had a tailwind to look forward to on the way back :biggrin:

I didn't stop to take many photos, as I was late getting out and I thought I might be able to make it back in time to go and run an errand. So I was pressing on a bit.

Finally I arrived at my farthest point, Bowness on Solway. It just so happens to be where Hadrians Wall begins (or ends, depending which side you look at it). Right about here in fact:
19365129180_7f5e7f6567_c.jpg

From there I start the homeward leg. Anywhere close to the coastline is flat and with a tailwind, I could pick up some free speed. Once the coast road ended, I turned inland again to visit the village I used to live in at Thurstonfield, and then up to Great Orton where I had to stop for a photo of their Millennium Beacon. I don't really do selfies (or is that shouldn't?), but here goes: :laugh:
19526929416_83d647817c_c.jpg

Then it was back to Dalston, crossing the old bridge, and back across the lanes to Wreay, making the most of descending the hills I climbed on the way out and back home in a very pleasing time! I wasn't in time to go run the errand though... oh well :rolleyes: :laugh:

http://app.strava.com/activities/342373387

Last edited:
Top Bottom