Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Evening ride for us tonight. Hubster put me a Schwalbe Lugano tyre on my back wheel for me. I can't shift the stupid Conti on the rear. When Hubster did the front wheel, a few weeks ago, he had blisters for days from getting that tyre off.

We decided to to a shorter version of yesterday's ride but slightly longer than Sunday's ride. Same basic start though.
We got a whole 0.2 of a mile and there was a loud BANG sound from my rear wheel. We sat outside the chip shop and took the new rear tyre off and chucked the innertube as there was a considerable hole in it. Hubster had the tyre changed in 10 minutes or so. We used the Co2 canister for the first time. Wow! That makes life so much easier.

Off we went again. Through Hellesdon, Drayton, to Horsford and to Spixworth. We took the first turning at Spixworth instead of the 2nd one and got lost on the estate. We eventually found our way out and went up Russell Road, with it's short and steep hill, which we could have done without as we didn't even get a run up to it as we'd got off our bikes to cross the local Rec.

Finally on our way again and we headed through Rackheath and off to Salhouse. We took another early turn instead of the one we were supposed to, and rode along some pretty roads that we've never been along before, so that was nice. We came out on Station Road, Salhouse and rode away from Norwich to pick up the road to Little Plumstead and then home via Thorpe End, Thorpe, Heartsease, down Ketts Hill and The Marriotts. Getting up Marlpit Lane was a struggle tonight.

23.7 miles in 1:48:49. Garmin said 1155 feet of climbing. By the time it got to my computer the climbing had shrunk again to 160m. Is there some sort of tax on climbing that my Garmin knows about and I don't?
Nice ride. Tomorrow is my day off the bike. I have to sit in for the gas man and for my new Fitbit to arrive as the original is a bit faulty.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
A 39 miler here today to north Norfolk.

Things started badly as I loaded the bike up for the journey. A bolt attaching my kickstand to the frame sheared, so I'm left propping the bike up now and no way of getting the bolt out. Will have to sort that out as I hate not having a stand.

image.jpg

I eventually got going - this is Reach Lode bridge near Wicken. I once caught an idiot trying to drive a car over this bridge!

image.jpg

Ely Cathedral with salad fields.

image.jpg

Ely Cathedral with river. There'll soon be a massive bypass crossing the river here so motons can save 2 minutes getting from Ely to Newmarket. This lovely view will be gone forever. The dumb, shortsighted nature of the human race never ceases to amaze me.

image.jpg

Grumpy thoughts turned to happier ones as I left cloudy/wet Cambridgeshire behind, and was back in sunny Norfolk. A short train ride from Ely to Kings Lynn saw me heading north through the pretty village of North Wootton.

image.jpg

This is the lovely cycle path out of Castle Rising near Sandringham. No doubt the 'all cycle paths should be abolished' numpties would rather be battling along the carmaggedon that is the A149. They're welcome to it- I'll stick with this!

image.jpg

Through the woods toward West Newton.

image.jpg

Near Syderstone, the mark of civilised country- roads with grass in the middle.

image.jpg

Finally the home straight into South Creake and the Burn Valley down Bloodgate Hill.

A lovely 4 or so hours in the saddle here today.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
I decided on a pub lunch at Charsfield, today. The 11 miles there were easy enough - the 11 miles back with the fierce headwind not so enjoyable. At least I missed the predicted showers.
Fingers crossed, but upper back pain seems to be improving/changing - something that is helped immeasurably by a couple of pints and a damn fine burger in a small village pub. (The Three Horseshoes - recommended.)

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
Yesterday, after failing to get up early for a ride, as planned, it started to rain, so I thought I might not have a chance. But the wife had an appointment with the opticians so I thought I'd have about an hour to spare. And since the weather cleared up ....

Once more I headed north, intent on seeing how far I'd get. There were a few people out walking dogs but not much traffic, and the rain hadn't wet the path to any noticeable extent. I stopped to chat with someone who'd ridden his bike out to check the canal as he was moving his boat. He commented on how bad the surface was after B&Qs at the old Rose's Wharf. Can't disagree with that! I'll take some photos of the concrete lumps someday.

It's quite interesting how different a view can be from the opposite direction, this nice gentle downward slope that I'll enjoy on the way back.

1.JPG

Compared to this upward slope. There had been some grass cutting but the bushes are still a bit of a nuisance, both in respect of the need to duck and the narrowing of the path. In some places the growth between you and the ditch makes a swim feel less likely tho'

2.JPG

On this ocassion I cut the route short at the 30minute point and used a road I've not used before to join the road parallel to the canal. Where it joins the road it passes through a farm and the junction is a bit vague with poor visibility down the road. Later on, just before I rejoin the canal I go down the road this house is one side of,

3.JPG

And these houses the other side. The canal swing bridge is just visible with the pub not visible.

4.JPG

And so we turn onto the canal, with the narrow boats nicely lined up, some with gardens, and the flags fluttering in the breeze.
5.JPG

It isn't only the bushes that have grown, the weed in the canal under the railway bridge seems to be doing quite well.

6.JPG

And these duckling, who at the voice of their mother sped away, are nearly as big as their mother.

7.JPG

All in all, a pleasant ride, with the occasional drop of rain and a good breeze.

6.2miles max 17, avg 7.2 mph. Year to date, 190.6miles

Last edited:
OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Day off today but there still don't seem to be enough hours in the day...clean up, shopping, see mum, bit of late breakfast, get the bike out, ride, home, finish cleaning up properly, prepare dinner for the wife...etc etc.
So, blustery and cloudy, long sleeve top today but not cold obviously. Took a mainly sidewind route, no great rush, still trying to re-find full fitness, so just get a few miles in.
Peterborough toward Oundle, then alongside the A1M mostly down towards Alconbury, over the A1and back.
7 months today, dad passed away, I felt some considerable melancholy for a good few miles, but despite that, it occurred to me how the mind wanders when you're on your own, allowing the miles to add up without you even realising.
Homeward, somewhere near Stilton on the old A1 I saw a car pull up ahead into a farm gateway, a couple climbed out and started scanning the fields. Nosiness got the better of me, I slowed and wandered over the side of the road to look into the field....
18 Red Kite, on the grass, in the air, wheeling round, calling, low, slow flapping and swooping...18 minimum, possibly more in and over one field, quite exraordinary, none of them were small or looked young, they all seemed fine big specimens. Lovely sight.
32 miles, not easy compared to old days but very enjoyable.
Gotta finish the cleaning up now...:whistle:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
A little ride to Wallingford on the Kingpin of Dawes, to purchase some sundry items which I am sure are of not any interest you you all from the LBS, they have a coffee shop there, so a quick coffee, a cookie and a small purchase and a ride home. I thought I'd take a detour on the way home, and followed a suggested cycle route on Google maps on the phone of I. Mistake, it was a bridleway and not a bike friendly one, especially no good for the Kingpin, anyway I soldiered on without to much agro, it was a good job it was dry out there today. I quite enjoy my Kingpin rides, but @6ft tall I look a bit of a twit on the 20" wheeled bike, but who cares? Not I. 18.56 miles, call it 18.5 for cash.

A couple of photos for your kind attention.

IMG_1918.JPG

In the distance are what's left of the Didcot cooling towers, there were six, but three were demolished last year, the Kingpin is older than those towers.

IMG_1919.JPG

The challenging bridleway

Walingford.png

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
So this is a compilation of 3 days in 2 countries.

We left pretty Amersfoort in The Netherlands on a hot and sunny Monday morning to go to Arhem. Once again Helga our Google guide was spot on and patient and the Dutch cycle paths continued to excel themselves.

First breakfast, Dutch applecake. Well recomended. @hopless500 had her eyes on stalks at the size of it.
20150706_082407.jpg

Then the ride began and it took us a lovely route through woodland and small towns to lunch at a rather nice place in the middle of nowhere

20150706_121139.jpg

If you are thinking that there is a food and drink theme here well you would be right but none of it was planned. The ride to the next campsite just outside Arnhem was good but much alongside a busy road. Still it was on a well maintained cycle path so :okay:
We camped at a great site in a forest which belonged to a country estate. It was called
20150707_083641.jpg

Warnsborn and i wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

Tuesday was another hot one but very overcast. Into Arnhem for a quick bit of sightseeing. To be fair a longer stay would have been better as there is a lot to see but we pushed on through Nijmagen to Grosebeek where we stayed in a trekkers hut on a dairy farm.
20150707_194821.jpg

Wednesday morning dawned cold and grey and with Germany 6k down the road and @hopless500 demand for German beer we cycled to Kleve. Northern Germany remained as boring as ever but the cycle paths were good. After lunch we spotted a Lidl and called in to see what the cycle offers were and Helga threw a complete German Google hissy fit in the car park going into a loop of something along the lines of "get out onto ****strasse and turn right". I had to turn the phone off.:laugh:

Anyway she had forgiven us as we set off again. Then the rain started to make is apperance. The day was not warm and there was a chilly headwind too so the final 26k was a story of 2 sodden cyclists by the time we reached the campsite. However enroute we did pass this beautiful war cemetry where 6438 of our men are buried. As always there are no words, i just hope my pictures do them justice.

20150708_125236.jpg

20150708_125006.jpg
20150708_124810.jpg

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
My ride yesterday should have been 25 miles in temperatures of 90+ °F but I was kidnapped in Winthrop at 15 miles and taken to a birthday party 20 miles away where I was made to eat fantastic food, drink beer and have a good time.

My kidnappers then took me back to a camp site in Winthrop where the owner insisted that I had a teepee at the same price as a tent pitch before forcing free beer on me.

IMG_20150707_174216245.jpg

Winthrop

IMG_20150707_190450675.jpg

The party.

IMG_20150707_201949933.jpg

The party venue backdrop

IMG_20150708_075418124.jpg

The teepee

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Believing the weather forecast, I headed into town to meet No.1 daughter but about 15 minutes in, my shorts and T shirt were getting a bit soggy :rain:
Such is life.. Once at the store, it really started piddling down quite hard! Fortunately, the chap let me lock my bike up in the 'Returns' place.
By the time we'd got what we went for, the rain had eased to a light drizzle so i continued into town to complete my chores.

Peril.PNG

I hung my old SS bike on a lamppost outside the bank as the staple wouldn't fit around the wider part ..

With a bit of a breeze and sunshine now around, I soon dried out and walked through the pedestrian only part of Abington Street.

Knight.PNG

There are several carved wooden knights dotted around the town at the moment. This chap stands 10 to 12 feet high I reckon!!

A damp then dry 15 miles on the old single speed.

http://app.strava.com/activities/341623617

:smile:

Last edited:

gavgav

Guru
After spending a whole day couped up interviewing at work, I needed to get out despite 30mph winds that would normally have put me off! Only a week ago we were sweltering on one of the hottest UK days ever and now we seem to have fast forwarded to October. Needed the jacket back on as it was pretty cold out in that wind.

Followed one of my regular evening routes over Lyth Hill to Exfords Green and then stopped to chat with Dad for 15 minutes. The wind was buffeting me around but didn't seem to be a headwind on too many occasions which was nice for a change.

Continued on to Ryton, Longnor, Frodesley, Pitchford and Betton Abbots, with nothing worth writing about happening really.

21.4 miles at 11.7mph avg

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Not sure what was more alarming today: being overtaken by a lorry on a straight bit of road, despite the second HGV coming the other way; or being overtaken by a school run mum with a car full of kids on a blind bend, since there was a lorry coming the other way that time as well.
Some days are like that, aren't they...:sad:

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I'm in north Norfolk for a couple of days at my parents house. Heading home tomorrow, but managed a short 12 miler to Wells and back to shop and see an elderly neighbour who I've known most of my life who's just moved into a home there.

image.jpg

On entering the Holkham estate, I rode under the Triumphal Arch. In 30 odd years of doing so, I've never quite known whether I'm allowed to or not, but no one's told me not to yet, so I'll just carry on! Lets face it, it's not a bad route to the shops!

image.jpg

Further along, the obelisk.

image.jpg

Holkham Hall.

My kickstand is currently broken, so getting used to propping the beast up against fences like the above deer fence, is proving a real hassle. Can't wait to get the thing fixed.

image.jpg

Arrived at Wells where the tourists were busy antagonising the local crab population. It was High tide- I always love the place when the water's in. Lots of yachts over from Holland. I guess it's only just across the way really.

Went into a shop and couldn't find my wallet. After a mild panic, it turns out I'd dropped it yesterday at West Newton on the way here outside the butchers there. The lovely Folks at West Newton butchers kept it safe for me to collect. Chapeau to them! Phew. I'm forever losing the damn thing. Will take them a few beers on my way back in thanks tomorrow.

Saw my neighbour and headed back, arriving just before a massive cloudburst. Seems like my luck's in at the moment!

Heading back home tomorrow. Always love being back in Norfolk though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom