Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Old jon

Guru
The weather forecast last evening was a bit difficult to believe. Outdoors was two degrees when I checked, and the forecast predicted ten whole sweaty degrees for this morning. OK, I believed it and decided a ride might just be a good idea.

My phone said nine degrees this morning, near enough. Take the Jacko out, almost an hour later than usual, ‘cos it now seems to be winter, and head off to Oakwood. Lots less traffic at this time. Turn left at the clock and it is straight on to Moortown Corner. A couple of right turns points me and the bike to Slaid Hill and that lovely swoopy road to East Keswick, where I stopped for a pic of Bob Jackson, the bike, below William Potts, the clock.

Boband William01.jpg

Ride on, and up, to the A659, and turn right to pedal to Collingham. In passing, I noticed that what used to be the Half Moon pub has been renamed Cromwell’s. Oliver of that surname would have been most unlikely to run an entertaining drinking establishment . . . Anyway, on to Wattle Syke and a rising road to West Woods Road and then all the way to Bramham. With some evidence of a headwind to come when I turned right to ride towards Thorner, via Wothersome dip.

It was good to reach Thorner, the last bit of the road there is gently uphill, does not look it but certainly is. Then whizz down Church Hill and ride along Main Street on the way to Sandhills, a bit more up. Skeltons Lane is next, the shorter way to the A58, which is reached after riding along Red Hall Lane. Another whizz, Boot Hill this time, and then turn right to pedal past the spare gates that Roundhay Park keeps along that way.

Back past the Oakwood Clock, downhill almost all of the way now. Cross the Aire on Crown Point Bridge and it might be a whole mile and a half to home then. Good to return, with a grin. A very good ride it was, thirty one miles and 1929 feet uphill, sort of slower than usual. I will put the lack of speed down to the coldness of the day, though it might just be me not trying very much!

The garthing behaved reasonably well today, though the elevation trace might be optimistic . . .

3011elev.jpg

30112021.jpg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I had an early start yesterday morning so as to get a ride in and still have time to take the dog for a decent walk before lunch. It was a bit breezy and although the thermometer at home had said 9C, it felt chilly when exposed to the wind.

I set out at about ten to seven heading over Lyth Hill and towards Condover, Ryton and Longnor. Most of the roads were nice and quiet, although the A49 seemed unusually busy so I was glad of only being on it for a couple of hundred yards going this way.

After Longnor I took a right and headed for the climb up to Folly Bank as the darkness receded. I was at the top of this climb around about sunrise but there was too much cloud about to get a nice show from it. Reaching the crossroads I took a left for a change and continued climbing to Yell Bank (1023' ASL) which gives some great views across the surrounding countryside. This means that it is also exposed to the wind which was stronger and colder than at lower levels and necessitated putting on another layer.

Dropping down to Chatwall I was quite glad of the shelter from trees and high hedgerows as I headed along the muddy lanes towards Church Preen - I shouldn't have bothered cleaning the bike :rolleyes:. I headed for Kenley next then carried on towards Broomcroft and round to Harnage Grange, turning back into the wind as I did so and finding it not too bad to ride into at the relaxed pace I was doing. Harnage and Cound were next on the list (the White Ensign was flag of the day) and with it being after the rush hour by this point I decided to risk heading up to the A458 on my way to Berrington.

At the Kingstreet crossroads I could see another rider ahead which spurred me on to give chase. Their pace was fairly similar to mine so I only caught up slowly and we went different ways in Condover. A thankyou to the taxi driver who was really patient and didn't make any attempt to overtake until it was safe.

A run up to the, much quieter by now, A49 finished the ride off.

31.1 miles at 11.1 mph average. The impact of storm Arwen at the weekend could be seen through the scattering of broken twigs and branches all over the place and gaps in the hedgerow where trees used to be. The timber all seems to have been taken away very quickly I thought.

Quite dark out this early. In the words of Spike Milligan; "What ideal conditions for night!"

The view towards the Stretton hills from the same spot.

A bit closer to Caer Caradoc.

At the top of Yell Bank (well, near enough), looking towards the Brown Clee.

En route to Church Preen.

AndreaJ

Veteran
Today’s weather forecast was for showers and a moderate breeze but it was actually heavy showers, cold and windy ☹️ then the sun would briefly appear then back to rain, and I wanted to get December’s 50km challenge ride done.
Had to change the planned route due to more road closures for Shropshire council to fix more potholes so set off into Whixall just as it started to rain,turned off to Fenns Bank, Alkington, Coton and the long way to Edstaston through lots of big puddles. Carried on to Ryebank, Highfields and over the Lowe into Wem, through the town and turned to Tilley. The wind was becoming a nuisance now as I made slow progress to Loppington. Ignoring the easy option of going home from Loppington I took the lane to English Frankton hoping the more sheltered lanes to Colemere wouldn’t be as windy. Unfortunately the wind was obviously blowing in the wrong direction and it was pretty grim. I turned past the car park at Colemere to Lyneal, Welshampton and Northwood hoping to have just enough km’s done if I took this way home. It was cutting it a bit fine but 31.15 miles done. Even with my winter coat the combination of heavy showers and wind meant I was getting very cold and muddy by the end with the roads covered in mud and bits of trees from the storm, some of the bits of tree were quite big! Unsurprisingly didn’t see any other cyclists and only a couple of dog walkers.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A ride with @gavgav and Doug this evening. After it being quite a wet afternoon Gav suggested a route around the town as that would likely be less mucky than the lanes. That was fine by Doug and I so we headed over to meet up.

The traffic had been pretty busy at the start of the ride but that didn't matter once we joined the cycleways towards Heathgates. After crossing the river we headed along Sydney Avenue then joined the riverside path heading round to The Quarrry. There weren't as many people out on these paths as there usually are - the wind, cold and darkness will have something to do with that. There were a few hardy souls playing tennis on the outdoor courts below the Town Walls.

Leaving the town centre we headed through Porthill and out towards Shelton. We took our usual traffic-free cut-through which leads round the edge of the hospital grounds but this time Gav added in some other paths and quiet roads that I've never been down before. We eventually rejoined familiar roads to Nobold and Meole Brace before parting.

I'd made an adjustment to Doug's bike following a comment about how it felt that he'd made on our previous ride. It seems to have made an improvement - he was happier with it and I was having to press on to keep up with him on the last climb of the day.:ohmy:

15.7 miles by the time I got back at a nice social 10.3 mph average.

St Chad's viewed from Victoria Avenue. This was a bit of an experiment as I wasn't sure how the camera would cope.

Festive in Meole Brace.

Last edited:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Pubrun on fixed last night. I caught up with B & J heading towards Talaton and , after negotiating a road closure and a mile of hedge clippings, we arrived at the Red Lion. This is only an occasional venue, not sure why. Several riders were already there and a couple more turned up after us. Beer, chips & good conversation.
Rode back with Richard, and B & J. They left us to head for OSM.
I said goodbye to R in the town centre and a strange thing happened: A youngish fellow on an ebike passed me, calling "Sorry to be that irritating guy who overtakes you". So I caught him up and replied that I perhaps needed a bit of a work-out. Whereupon he wouldn't respond to any attempt at conversation, and slowed until I got fed up and left him. I was nearly home anyway.
It was a dark starry night, and a chill wind. 44km in total.

1decpubrun.JPG

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I see this thread is (understandably) more baron than in the halcyon days of the previous summer's lockdown - props to all those putting the miles in during these gloomy times :becool:

As some will be aware things remain far from splendid for me currently; exacerbated greatly by a lack of riding opportunities. Today, of all the things I really, really need (purpose, motivation, hope, dopamine...) eggs were the most attainable so I rode to the next village (a mile or two tops) to find the farm shop bereft of the precious and full of upper-middle-class Chr*stmas-tree punters.

The journey home forsook the direct, roady route and took me and the monstrous Routier down some legit gravel tracks and back into the village that is my guilded cage. This was via the "private driveway" of some folks who are happy to have all manner of vehicular traffic chug past their door to the office / industrial units that they doubless own, but god-forbid any walkers / cyclists who might choose to use the same route - as we all know how morally abhorrant and materially-destructive they are! :rolleyes:

Back in the village I scored some reduced 59p ecliars and a couple of promotional Heinikens from the Co-op and made my way home. No idea on mileage as my cheapo cycle computer's buggered, but probably not more than 3-4 miles when all's said and done.

That said it's the most I've smiled all week and tbh it still feels like I should be on some kind of government register for getting this much pleasure from something that doesn't involve regular monthly payments or some other embodyment of subservience to our consumption-hungry overlords..

Ultimatley mission failed but oh noes - I guess I'll just have to ride back there again tomorrow 😊

Last edited:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
It has been a dull, mucky day, but mild. After a rather jolly evening of good company, food, wine & music last night, I had to prise myself out of the house for a quick spin. 52km on the fixed-wheel along filthy lanes strewn with hedge-clippings and through the mud by the works to rewild the Otter estuary. Enough hills to stretch the legs.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Yesterday: A plan to get out for a longish ride came to nought due to other things getting in the way but I did have the opportunity to get out later in the afternoon. I haven't done my route to Wilderley and Pulverbatch for a while so I aimed to do that. A delivery containing a new crash hat had come at about lunch time so it seemed a good opportunity to see how comfortable it is on a ride.

Setting out I took the direct way to Condover and the traffic on the main road wasn't too bad. I pulled into a handy gateway to let a tractor and trailer by just after Ryton then, after they had passed heard a screech of tyres as they met a couple of cars. Once those had got past me too the lanes were quiet most of the way to Hollyhurst and my second crossing of the A49 after which I headed for Dudgeley and the lumpy middle section of the ride. A driver coming the other way paused to allow me to pass and called out something that I didn't quite catch - it sounded friendly though. Further on near Leebotwood I found a driver coming round the corner on my side of the road - they didn't half jump when they saw me.:laugh:

I had the climb to Smethcott mostly to myself and the lanes through Wilderley to Pulverbatch were similarly quiet. After climbing into Pulverbatch I stayed on the main road and thoroughly enjoyed the sweeping gente descent to Longden Common then Longden itself. Some good speeds were attained (for this bike that is), helped by having a following wind. I carried on through Longden to take the next right through Exford's Green - some vehicle had spilled oil along this stretch and with the light going now it was hard to see where it was to try and avoid. There were no slips or slides though, which is good.

As I headed towards Hunger Hill the volume of traffic increased (this road is a popular rat run at commuting times) which made me think I'd be better off going over Lyth Hill rather than extending the ride by going through Condover again. I think this was the best move as the A49 was quite busy.

25.8 miles at 12.6 mph average. Enjoyed that. The new helmet is okay - it'll do.

Crossing the railway line on my way to Dudgeley. Caer Caradoc is the backdrop.

The view towards Lyth Hill just after Smethcott.

Crossing Lyth Hill on the way back and looking towards the lights of Shrewsbury.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Just a short Battisborough loop. Buzzards, kestrels and fieldfare kept me company.
Coming around a bend I caught 2 old dears on electric bikes, I said hello to the lady, it made her jump!

I stopped to look out to sea. Just as I got back on my bike they rolled up… “sorry I scared you “ I said

her twonk of a husband “did you know it’s illegal to sell a bike without a bell?

my reply was “and pedal reflectors too”. He didn’t know what to do with that one.
As I said goodbye (to her) he shouted “you could alert us vocally “. I chose to not reply.
Bless him.

Nice blue skies

https://www.strava.com/activities/6346589703

geocycle

Legendary Member
Carpe velo! No ice, little wind and the rain had stopped so good day for a ride. Did a route out to Chipping via Trough of Bowland and Wild Boar Fell. Although I’ve been this way a number of times, it changes with the seasons. Today was moody stones and mosses offset by russet leaves. Visibility was good with views across to Pendle in the east and across the bay to Lake District fells in the north. Buzzards, lapwings and curlew provided the avian interest. Chipping is always worth a visit, as well as a very nice sausage roll and ‘artisan’ mince pie, I was entertained by a Santa dash. 44 miles and 1300m of climbing was enough for December. But, it also took me over 4000 miles for the year!

Pictures of the bike posing by one of the lovely old road signs with measures to the nearest quarter of a mile, and the Trough of Bowland.

Last edited:

C R

Guru
Forecast for today wasn't great, but I really wanted a ride, so decided to go out and see how it went.

Full winter gear, and out early, as usual. Plan was to ride out into the wind, to have a tail wind on the way back. Out through St Peters and into town, hard work at times because of the gusts, and a bit hairy in places when it hit on the sides. After Worcester was Droitwich via the back lanes, and then up Crutch Ln, and finally turning towards Upton Warren for a bit of respite from the wind.

Took a short break by the M5 overpass, and then head towards Bromsgrove and then turn for Stoke Prior. Now I was riding in protected lanes or with the wind behind so progress was quick, until when reached Flying Horse Ln the rear wheel started feeling weird, and sure enough, I had a puncture. Pulled over, and started the process of trying to fix the thing. I did manage, eventually, it took only a couple of minutes to find the hole and fix it, but it had taken fifteen minutes to get the tyre out, and it took another fifteen to get the tyre back.

Back on the road, I decided to head back via the straightest route, so head for Himbleton, and then Crowle towards the Hospital and the County Hall site, but just before the hospital the rear tyre was soft again, I pumped up, and seemed to hold so carried on and made it home without further adventures.

Good ride, but could have done without the flat. The map
Screenshot_20211205-154714_Connect.jpg

gavgav

Guru
I’d arranged an afternoon ride with Paul. He’d had his work Christmas party last night and so he didn’t want anything too taxing and with that strong bitter wind back again, we decided on a social chatting ride around Town.

I headed up to his place, layered up like Michelin Man, which I judged far better than the last ride midweek and didn’t feel too cold. We then set off together through Porthill and down to the Quarry, where it was quiet and meant a pleasant ride along by the river, then along the towpath to Castlefields. The weir had some impressive white water conditions today.

We meandered through the Suburb and then under the ring road, via the tunnel, before joining cycle paths to Monkmoor, Reabrook and Meole Brace, where we parted ways.

I then added a couple more miles by going through Sutton Farm and the Business Park, to make it 13.24 miles at a leisurely 10.3mph chatting pace.

Top Bottom