Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bagpuss

Guru
Cracking ride today in winter sunshine .
Along the River Dove valley to Doveridge ,down to Uttoxeter to raid Greggs . Onto Rocester back over the Dove . Short climb up Marston bank ,down to the Dove again at Ellastone . Up hill to the former airfield at Darley moor .Now used for m/cycle and cycle racing .Micro lights also take to the air from it. Long the line of the Roman road towards Derby . On to Over Burrows,Kedleston . Finally down Cumberhills to the A6 at Duffield and back to Derby .

River Dove at Norbury .

Rocester From top of Marton Bank .

Above. The Weaver Hills >One for another day.

Last edited:
Cracking ride today in winter sunshine .
Along the River Dove valley to Doveridge ,down to Uttoxeter to raid Greggs . Onto Rocester back over the Dove . Short climb up Marston bank ,down to the Dove again at Ellastone . Up hill to the former airfield at Darley moor .Now used for m/cycle and cycle racing .Micro lights also take to the air from it. Long the line of the Roman road towards Derby . On to Over Burrows,Kedleston . Finally down Cumberhills to the A6 at Duffield and back to Derby .

River Dove at Norbury .

View attachment 627002

Rocester From top of Marton Bank .

View attachment 627003 View attachment 627005
Above. The Weaver Hills >One for another day.
Cracking looking ride that, ridden those roads a few times. Lovely part of the world.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
First of the year's cross border raids into Norfolk to get away from riding the same old local roads and with Diss being only an hour away by train I can get in a good 3 hour ride, lunch & a couple of pints in daylight at this time of year before getting the train home again.

Out to the south of Diss via Palgrave & Wortham to Mellis, then Gislingham to Walsham le Willows and then very indirectly to Kenninghall via Wattisfield, Market Weston, Thelnetham
Thelnetham Windmill (2).jpg

and Garboldisham. From there it was back to Diss (and lunch) via North & South Lopham and Bressingham

Nothing too challenging except for some of the road conditions - I was glad I'd opted to use the Bootzipper 29er due to the state of some lanes - and I got lucky with the weather as can be seen above, even if there was still some frost & ice in the shaded areas at 11am.
Screenshot 2022-01-17 at 21-47-44 First Norfolk outing of the year Ride Strava.png
Screenshot 2022-01-17 at 21-48-01 First Norfolk outing of the year Ride Strava.png

bagpuss

Guru
I do not think I have been up that one . The last time I tried Holy lane {Noted for its lenght and used for hill climb events} at Ambergate ended in me bottling it . I have been up it in the past without problems .I guess weight and age is telling on me :whistle::cursing:

I do not think I have been up that one . The last time I tried Holy lane {Noted for its lenght and used for hill climb events} at Ambergate ended in me bottling it . I have been up it in the past without problems .I guess weight and age is telling on me :whistle::cursing:
Holly lane is on my to do list, and I have a route planned to take that in as well as Slack Hill and Jaggers Lane at Matlock (because they’re the only climbs I have left in that area plus I’m a sucker for punishment:wacko:!)

Greysich is a “once a year” hill, once you’ve done it it’s done, so to speak, but I like to pop back. I’ve never done it in reverse though so that could freshen things up a bit….

13 rider

Guru
Holly lane is on my to do list, and I have a route planned to take that in as well as Slack Hill and Jaggers Lane at Matlock (because they’re the only climbs I have left in that area plus I’m a sucker for punishment:wacko:!)

Greysich is a “once a year” hill, once you’ve done it it’s done, so to speak, but I like to pop back. I’ve never done it in reverse though so that could freshen things up a bit….
Greysich is a once hill ,once is enough :laugh: I seem to remember you going round the hill rather than over it last time we were out that way :okay:.
You need to do again to get the Velo viewer tile up the lane at the top ,the only reason I went up it

bagpuss

Guru
Some years ago I rode up and over the Grossglocker in Austria . I had to have lie down in a dark room at the end of the day .:rolleyes:
Had fish for supper that evening and ended up in Vilach Krankenhaus:eek: .

Stunning ride up . Glad i had disc brake on my touring mtb going down the south side .

Sorry for thread drift.

I would need the two foot gear for it now.

1642531325135.png

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Having missed out on a nice winter afternoon yesterday, I grabbed the chance of a ride today instead.

The day had started with a fairly hard frost, so being out later allowed the ice to clear a bit and I headed into town to ride through The Quarry. No issues on the cycle paths on the way down and when having to cross roads I had some polite drivers allow me to go first.^_^ The Quarry wasn't nearly as busy as the last time I was here but there were still a fair few people out having a stroll or a bike ride. It was similar after leaving the park and continuing along the towpath to the weir.

Since my bike is still pretty mucky from the last time it was out I wasn't worried about riding the canal path to Uffington. This is quite sheltered from the sun so was a mix of muddy and frozen sections. At Uffington I paused before joining the road and startled a mountain biker who hadn't expected to find anyone stopped. We were headed the same way but I got ahead and left him behind on the climb to Downton.

I carried on through Upton Magna then turned towards Atcham and into the wind which wasn't very welcome having been spoiled by calm days on the last few rides. At Cross Houses I thought I'd extend the ride a bit so headed for Cound Stank, Pitchford and Cantlop before dropping down to Condover. There wasn't much traffic on these lanes and the drivers I met were polite. I could have done without the tractor cutting hedges though.

I needed to be back so took the short way up to the A49 and braved the traffic which was busier with it being near school kicking out time.

22.5 miles at 12.6 mph average. Nice to be able to get out in the sunshine.

From Porthill Bridge; the view to the Welsh Bridge and Theatre Severn.

From the same spot; the view downstream into the park.

The old brewery in Coleham.

The English Bridge.

The towpath at Castle Fields, heading towards the weir.

Upton Magna.

Looking towards Venus Pool near Cross Houses.

Top Bottom