Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

13 rider

Guru
My first post covid ride .... and only my second ride since early November. I'd been bike fettling yesterday, getting No.2 bike back up to scratch and rideable before I fiddle with No.1 bike, so it was time for a test ride. The bike was fine. New front brake blocks squealing a little, but showing signs of bedding in. Drive train silent and compliant. Handle bars, which are a tad too small for me, reminding me why I didn't ride this bike at all last year. Satisfied that this is now a decent, roadworthy back-up though, so I can have a go at fitting a bigger disc rotor to the front wheel of Bike No. 1 without fear of being left bikeless if I mess up.

As for the cyclist .... Blimey what an effort. Did a 9.8 mile local loop, with three small, gentle "hills". I took on each of these in the usual gear, and crested each of them about 20% slower than usual and out of breath. Finished the ride, which was about a third the length of last year's average ride, feeling like I'd ridden a longer than normal ride. Even an hour later, my heart rate is still elevated. Looks like a long grind to get back to full fitness .... or even taking on any hills. But great to get out there again. I've been feeling so frustrated seeing such a prolonged period of mild, sunny, windless weather without getting out there. Fully intending to get out again on Bike No.1 tomorrow, but I won't overdo it.
Good luck on your recovery

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
Yesterday's ride, biggest I've done since October. Definitely a fair weather cyclist nowadays but impressed that I managed it without too much issue after being off the bike for a while. Layered up and surprisingly enjoyable.

It had been a Tad icy first thing and our WhatsApp cycling group was a bit panicky with some posting icy pictures. It was sunny and warming up fast though and I was desperate to relieve the cabin fever. I debated going on the road bike into the flat Fens (no shade there for ice to form) or take the gravel bike into the slightly undulating Northamptonshire terrain. I kinda decided on the road bike but didn't get far before the freehub started failing so the decision was finally made and I doubled back for the gravel bike. I had the Holly Lodge cafe in mind as a destination but no fixed route in mind. I had intended to stay clean but my curiosity took me down a gravel path which got a bit muddy so I then decided to go the whole hog and ended up in a field South of Stilton 😂

Pre ride warnings!

During the ride though 🌞

Route and more pics are in the Relive video 🌞

https://www.relive.cc/view/vYvE5LyWJwv

Glow worm

Legendary Member
A sparking 15 miler here today in the sunshine back in north Norfolk.

Looking down toward Burnham Overy Staithe from a handily placed bench.

Another bench. Had a chat with Lord Liecester. For many years I rode past this bench, which is in a lovely spot, and every time some sod was already sat there so I carried on. Finally, I wandered over the 100 yds or so from the track and saw it was a statue! A good one though to be fair.

Holkham Hall.

The obelisk.

You get a good view of the long drive from this spot. Sat in the sun, it felt pretty warm.

Only when I got back did I read that I’d missed a white tailed eagle at Holkham- one of the Isle of Wight birds on an exploration. O well next time maybe.

Back to Newmarket tomorrow- with a little help from the train between Kings Lynn and Ely.

Attachments

• 3C810CB8-39C1-41A1-B950-A15463387B34.jpeg
    3C810CB8-39C1-41A1-B950-A15463387B34.jpeg
    150 KB · Views: 2

Mike_P

Guru
Saturday and quarter to one was a bit later than I had hoped to turn the pedals on the Defy; had oiling the chain stopped the mech noise, er… no. Showground and Haggs Road in a new PR to Spofforth, then the A661 to Wetherby and east to Wighill in a procession of tailwind driven PRs. A pause by the church before heading south to Tadcaster and the A162 to Barkston Ash for the start of a new ABC challenge of the second word of twin word places.

Turning west into a road which I only noted the first letter of its nameboard I named it Headwind Lane, was actually Headwell Lane. An overtaking ebiker muttered “bloody headwind” as he passed. Through Saxton to Aberford for another snack pause.
North on the road paralleling at times the A1 – as the 50km mark cropped up the sun made a weak reappearance having been evident in the early part of the ride. At the motorway junctions I followed the cycle routes which at the last one lead me onto NCN67 for the approach to Wetherby.

Through Kirk and North Deightons to Little Ribston for a final snack pause. Then the Nidd Gorge in Knaresborough where cars rather than pedestrians were the main issue; particularly the one that turned off the A59 just as I was climbing the ramp up to it and completely blinded me. Then the normal route home via the Starbeck branch of NCN67 and just short of 50 miles; 49.47 miles with 2549ft climbed @ 12.8 mph avg, another longest since October.

Set out on a bright but cold pootle up to Lincoln but with a couple of objectives- bag some veloviewer tiles and do Leadenham Hill listed on Simon Warren’s Midlands climbs. This of course meant that the expected mileage was extended somewhat to fulfil said objectives!

The first tiles just SE of Nottingham around the Cotgrave/A46 area arrived in the first 25 miles- true to form I get home only to find I’ve missed one! Ah well, another excuse for a ride out I suppose….

Bagged a few more between there and Bottesford in NE Leicestershire before stopping off at a local co-op for light refreshment….

From here it was on to Leadenham by way of Long Bennington, Hougham and Frieston and objective number 2. Leadenham Hill.

Sluggishly dragging my somewhat heavier arse up the 1.3 mile long slog, I recovered and pressed on the busy but pan flat A607 into Lincoln and the station, where I concluded my ride and got the train back. That wasn’t without incident either- the direct train to East Midlands Parkway was suddenly cancelled and terminated at Nottingham, 3 stops and 10 miles up the track from where Mrs Noodle Legs was waiting with snacks and a warm coffee for the journey home. It was quicker for her to come get me from Nottingham than wait for another train so she made her way to the pick up point, coffee still warm, and I threw my muddy bike in the boot and warmed up in the comfort of the car!
79 miles with 2,900ft of up.

View: https://youtu.be/Zte9jxsjl9g

gavgav

Guru
My first post covid ride .... and only my second ride since early November. I'd been bike fettling yesterday, getting No.2 bike back up to scratch and rideable before I fiddle with No.1 bike, so it was time for a test ride. The bike was fine. New front brake blocks squealing a little, but showing signs of bedding in. Drive train silent and compliant. Handle bars, which are a tad too small for me, reminding me why I didn't ride this bike at all last year. Satisfied that this is now a decent, roadworthy back-up though, so I can have a go at fitting a bigger disc rotor to the front wheel of Bike No. 1 without fear of being left bikeless if I mess up.

As for the cyclist .... Blimey what an effort. Did a 9.8 mile local loop, with three small, gentle "hills". I took on each of these in the usual gear, and crested each of them about 20% slower than usual and out of breath. Finished the ride, which was about a third the length of last year's average ride, feeling like I'd ridden a longer than normal ride. Even an hour later, my heart rate is still elevated. Looks like a long grind to get back to full fitness .... or even taking on any hills. But great to get out there again. I've been feeling so frustrated seeing such a prolonged period of mild, sunny, windless weather without getting out there. Fully intending to get out again on Bike No.1 tomorrow, but I won't overdo it.
Great to see you back out, take it steady until that fitness returns

geocycle

Legendary Member
The run of ‘not bad for January’ weather continues. A solid 6 degrees with light wind and heavy cloud reducing risk of sunstroke. Followed NCR6 through the drumlin field to Kendal. Was looking for a cafe stop but most I passed were full and uninspiring. Parambulated through the town centre and paid homage to the Postman Pat post office before the ascent of Beast Bank. It lived up to its name but finally reached Scout Scar with fine views across toward the lakes. Descended into the Lyth Valley, through the lovely Brigsteer woods to Levens. Decided to lunch outside the village store which had a good range of tray bakes. Then across the Kent marshes to Sandside and Silverdale. 52 miles and 1100m of climbing.

pictures are of Dallam Park, and bike by a barn in Lyth Valley.

Last edited:
We had an awesome gravel/mud bike session today down to Fermyn Woods and then Brigstock for a cafe. We were treated to an extra special event on the return though. Our own private airshow at Deenethorpe Airfield.

My bike was a bit mucky on return but I fixed that, I'm not sure about the carpark though 😂 Half an hour after I got a call at my door from the caretaker. I thought it was going to be about that but although is was about a bike it wasn't mine 😂

https://www.relive.cc/view/vdORwRjy4K6

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Dreich, Minging, bogging, pick your adjective, yet again it was grey, horrible and heavy drizzle. The ride started as usual, heading out past the pig farm, that was particularly fragrant today, and over towards the glider school. The runways have been silent for several months now, but we're fast approaching the time when they will be back in use. Onwards I ride and over the freight lines that bisect this small hamlet.

I turn off and into the forest following the muddy trails north, forestry workers have been here and turned the paths into a quagmire, a turn off onto a quieter track, brings me onto firmer ground again. A few twists and turns later and I'm onto the main gravel road that runs through here and I stop off at a forest shelter to remove a layer. Despite the heavy drizzle, it's a toasty 6 degrees today and I'm wrapped up a little too warm.

I turn back North and pick up speed on the firm ground, as always I'm completely alone out here, there are tracks on the ground to signifiy others have been this way, but for know, there's not a soul in site.

The day is dark and gloomy and the track is constantly changing under my wheels, it's not long before I'm traversing the soft sands at Wildech and sliding this way and that as I hunt for traction.

After Wildech, the route turns into really pleasant gravel and rises up before plunging down through the trees on a fast gravel path. A few kilometres later and the canopy of trees gives way to a clearing and the heathland has taken over. In the summer this is a riot of colour and noise from the buzz of insects, today all is quiet and gloomy.

After a quick flapjack break, it's onwards towards Angleteichbeck, a popular roadside lake. As befits the day, there are few folk here wandering the paths that wind their way through here and I'm soon heading past and back into the forest.

From here the route turns to Wald Autobahn, several kilometres of dead straight gravel path upon which you can really get some speed up and watch the forest fly on by. A turn South and briefly over some muddy trails brings me out onto another arrow straight trail.

All to soon the Autobahn ends and I'm out into the hamlet of Reberallah and onto the trails beyond that will bring me home. This tracks are a grind though today, I'm not sure why, but they seem to stretch on forever and the heavy drizzle that has dominated this ride is making the going tough. The trails do eventually come to an end and the last stretch of road appears to bring me on past the Pig farms I'd cycled past earlier and onwards towards home. In all, 45 km's today, so not too bad, but now it's time for a coffee and to hose the bike down, it's been filthy out there today, but still fun nonetheless.

Top Bottom