Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Landsurfer

Veteran
Another short “opportunity” ride today, 13.2 Km.

Julie wanted to visit her friend who lives by the Trent. I offered to drive if i could go for a ride while she supped coffee ... result.

Lovely sunshine but cross wind was sharp and gave no advantage to the day.
This is West Stockwith basin ,,, pubs, cafes, campsite and lots of boats ... worth a visit on two wheels or four.

I rode for a short while along the Chesterfield canal to Misterton, the path is compacted limestone but quickly becomes mud and although a good cycle surface was not what I wanted to ride on with my “narrow” 28mm tyres so left the canal above Misterton Lock.

Returned from Misterton to Gunthorpe then back to the mighty Transit, gentle pootle of a ride, not very far but still a rideout ...

On the way back to West Butterwick I came across this new (ish) memorial .... so young, so brave ....
Per Ardua Ad Astra Chaps ..

RAF and RAAF Lancaster crew, pretty much 50/50, all lost, based at RAF Sandtoft nearby and still an active airfield
I straightened up the wreaths but they all blew over as i walked away ... Doh! .. windy day

As you can see someone has defaced the memorial .... ....... scumbags ....

Last edited:

gavgav

Guru
An after work ride with @Rickshaw Phil and Doug, this evening. It was cold out, but not as raw as last night, when I went for a walk instead, as didn’t want to risk the bike with icy lanes. No ice this evening.

We did a gentle ride around Shrewsbury, following mostly cycle paths up to Heathgates, but with the only moron of the ride encountered during the first minute or so of riding on the road, overtaking us closely alongside a car coming in the other direction.

From Heathgates we went through Castlefields and along the river towpath, into the Quarry. A few people out for a walk or bike ride, but a lot quieter than it’s been down there on my recent rides.

We crossed Porthill bridge and then joined shared use paths to Shelton, along which I rang the bell to warn 2 ladies walking in the cycle part of it, who ignored me and then looked all apologetic and surprised as I used my voice to warn then. No harm done, but is it really that difficult to walk in the pedestrian lane?

At the end of the path we came across queues of traffic and I remembered hearing on the radio, this morning, of long delays due to roadworks, but had forgotten. They were 4 way and so we managed to get past the queues, then walk the bike through the controlled section on the path and remount.

From there it was mainly roads to Radbrook, along Mousecroft Lane, to Nobold, which was completely traffic free and that’s very unusual with it being a popular rat run and Meole Brace. I’d just been looking up and remarking on the marvellous full moon, which was lighting up the sky and the Town, when I switched from big ring to small ring and found I was pedalling but going nowhere……chain had come off! It did it a few weeks ago as well, so clearly needs some adjustment.

We parted ways and I arrived home with 12.73 miles on the clock.

bagpuss

Guru
Departed Derby At 10 am with fellow roadie David . Leaving the suburbs behind us we headed through Etwall ,Willington .Over the Trent into Repton {the ancient capital of Mercia } .Along the valley to Hartsorne {Saving Greysich lane for another day!!} Up Manchester lane to the water tower at Boundry . Fine views from up here . Working our way through Blackfordby ,Moria and Overseal .Regaining open country thro Botany Bay {Long ride this!!} to a pit stop at Rosliston cafe . .Back over the Trent at Walton and up to Tatenhill .Tutbury over the Dove at Hatton .Final lanes via Sutton and Dalbury and home . Another great ride in winter sunshine ,

View from Manchester Lane .V

Looking to towards the Weavers from Owens bank.{Tutbury}

13 rider

Guru
Departed Derby At 10 am with fellow roadie David . Leaving the suburbs behind us we headed through Etwall ,Willington .Over the Trent into Repton {the ancient capital of Mercia } .Along the valley to Hartsorne {Saving Greysich lane for another day!!} Up Manchester lane to the water tower at Boundry . Fine views from up here . Working our way through Blackfordby ,Moria and Overseal .Regaining open country thro Botany Bay {Long ride this!!} to a pit stop at Rosliston cafe . .Back over the Trent at Walton and up to Tatenhill .Tutbury over the Dove at Hatton .Final lanes via Sutton and Dalbury and home . Another great ride in winter sunshine , View attachment 627402
View attachment 627403
View from Manchester Lane .V

View attachment 627404
Looking to towards the Weavers from Owens bank.{Tutbury}
View attachment 627405
Well known lanes for us Leicester Ccers .In the summer I will see about a cafe meet up and a bit of a ride if your up for it we come that way fairly regularly

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Day off today so out on my own just after 1pm. Lovely winter sun and dry roads. No mudguards required so picked the Tricross for a quick spin.
Out to Selby via Wistow Lordship, 26.38 miles with an average of 15.5 mph.

Yes . I have been using it for the last 30 years . At one point I used it for a control on one of my audax events .150 k that was a support ride for a 300k as I remember
Know it well. Call in there at work on occasion and on rides with friends from Nuneaton. Loads better now Sonia’s taken over- not that it was bad before, but much quicker service now.

Hebe

getting better all the time
Family ride into town and back to buy brownies from the new brownie shop. They were lovely. I had check the tyres and brakes on my husband’s bike first as it’s been months since he last rode it. Gorgeous though, to see him and the girl racing each other in the quieter bits 😍

bagpuss

Guru
Shortish one to collect some gear from a friend .It was also a good reason to give my new ride about a proper run .
Derby to Lower Midway proving ejoyable in the cool winter sun . Tackled Spring Lane from Hatrshorne on the return leg and took in the view from the NTR . Down Greysich lane hill . Noddle I will need a 28 on the back to get my lard up it!! . Rt to Derby via Etwall .

Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
My first post covid ride .... and only my second ride since early November. I'd been bike fettling yesterday, getting No.2 bike back up to scratch and rideable before I fiddle with No.1 bike, so it was time for a test ride. The bike was fine. New front brake blocks squealing a little, but showing signs of bedding in. Drive train silent and compliant. Handle bars, which are a tad too small for me, reminding me why I didn't ride this bike at all last year. Satisfied that this is now a decent, roadworthy back-up though, so I can have a go at fitting a bigger disc rotor to the front wheel of Bike No. 1 without fear of being left bikeless if I mess up.

As for the cyclist .... Blimey what an effort. Did a 9.8 mile local loop, with three small, gentle "hills". I took on each of these in the usual gear, and crested each of them about 20% slower than usual and out of breath. Finished the ride, which was about a third the length of last year's average ride, feeling like I'd ridden a longer than normal ride. Even an hour later, my heart rate is still elevated. Looks like a long grind to get back to full fitness .... or even taking on any hills. But great to get out there again. I've been feeling so frustrated seeing such a prolonged period of mild, sunny, windless weather without getting out there. Fully intending to get out again on Bike No.1 tomorrow, but I won't overdo it.

Top Bottom