Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theloafer

Legendary Member
A short trip to Darlington to visit a friend it was a damp and dank sort of day but not cold ..the return route was via a local bridleway to get me up to the railway museum at Shildon and the cycle track back home.. it was a tad wet
1f923.png
1f923.png
but Sarah coped very well
1f600.png
25 miles
https://www.strava.com/activities/8342489607
P1010040.JPG

P1010042.JPG

P1010045 (2).JPG

P1010048 (2).JPG

geocycle

Legendary Member
Woke up to clear skies so decided to push some work into the weekend and make the most of time on two wheels. A strong SW wind suggested I head for the hills and valleys of Bowland to minimise exposure to headwinds later in the ride. Out over the Trough and the long way around to Chipping for lunch. Got caught in a shower but temperatures were not bad for Epiphany. Convivial chat with fellow cyclists over a bacon sandwich then up Beacon Fell for a second lunch before heading home. Speaking of Epiphany, I was mighty impressed with my new Garmin Varia rear light and radar, worked better than I would have expected and not much hassle getting it paired with the various gadgets. 85 km with 1250 m of climbing.

Pictures of a stream near the Trough of Bowland and example of the emptiness so close to home.

BA4B2F5F-27A9-4E2D-B07C-D780490E2998.jpeg

E08FEF91-379F-414E-84BB-18473601A9F8.jpeg

2023_01_07_Kaiserstühl_15_50.jpg

Finally, finally, got out for a decent ride, and my goodness but my stamina has gone down in recent months. 60k and about 50 centimetres of climbing all the way but my legs were hurting at about the 40k mark.
It was a lovely ride though. When I took this picture my phone was convinced I was in France. To be fair the border is only a few metres away at this point; basically all the land visible to the left of the sign is French.

Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran
Woke up to clear skies so decided to push some work into the weekend and make the most of time on two wheels. A strong SW wind suggested I head for the hills and valleys of Bowland to minimise exposure to headwinds later in the ride. Out over the Trough and the long way around to Chipping for lunch. Got caught in a shower but temperatures were not bad for Epiphany. Convivial chat with fellow cyclists over a bacon sandwich then up Beacon Fell for a second lunch before heading home. Speaking of Epiphany, I was mighty impressed with my new Garmin Varia rear light and radar, worked better than I would have expected and not much hassle getting it paired with the various gadgets. 85 km with 1250 m of climbing.

Pictures of a stream near the Trough of Bowland and example of the emptiness so close to home.

View attachment 673583

View attachment 673584

Nice area! first time last Monday, loved it! has set the benchmark for great rides of 2023!!
Was this the cafe?? Looks nice!

IMG-20230107-WA0011.jpg

geocycle

Legendary Member
@Jameshow yes it’s a great area for cycling, just the right amount of hills without too many, and lots of cafe options. ‘All roads lead to Chipping’ as the saying goes and I usually make it my lunch stop. I rotate between Cobbled Corner if I want a full indoor cafe and the farm shop opposite. This week it was the farm shop, who I like to support when eating outside is an option. They created lots of cycle parking and kept going through the pandemic. Cheap bacon sandwiches, guest cakes and reasonably priced coffee. Lovely.

Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran
@Jameshow yes it’s a great area for cycling, just the right amount of hills without too many and lots of cafe option. All roads lead to Chipping as the saying goes and I usually make it my lunch stop. I rotate between Cobbled Corner if I want a full indoor cafe and the farm shop opposite. This week it was the farm shop who I like to support when eating outside is an option. The created lots of cycle parking and kept going through the pandemic. Cheap bacon sandwiches, guest cakes and reasonably priced coffee. Lovely.

Great it's on my ride list!

I can cut across country and miss the a59 crossing it at Chatburn!

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Up and clipped in by 6.05 am and first time in 2023 on a road bike.
Headed out towards Sywell then on to Ecton and Little and Great Houghton and the first bit of fixed gear resentment as the road rose gently through the village.
Had to stop in Quinton as my water bottle decided to take the escape route out of my rear pocket and reminded me that I need to fit a bottle cage on this bike.
Down to the Salcey Forest crossroads and a left turn where I picked up the tailwind and all of a sudden my legs were getting close to spin out .
Spotted my first other cyclist coming in the opposite direction as I approached the old railway bridge before Hackleton .
The tailwind carried me on and through Denton with another little pimple to climb . Another group of 3 cyclists spotted at the Whiston junction then on towards the subway that goes under the A45 near to Earls Barton.
A gentle trundle along the A4500 in to town .
Ended up with 35 miles and just over 2 hours of much needed cycling .
Bike used Dunelt fixed gear

Mike_P

Guru
A bit of range anxiety this morning with the ebike. Needed a small freesat receiver box and having looked at the prices of second hand ones on ebay decided on a new one for possibly not more than twice the second hand price once bidding had been completed.
Duly ordered for collection at Argos in Sainsburys and then realised the ebike battery was low. Two lights lit up so decided it should be okay if I only used the motor when it was really needed. Even so it dropped to one light but most of nasty uphills on the outbound ride had been completed and it was the usual dog avoidance on the bridleway to the showground - none today of the chase the cyclist type but a couple too interested in following scents all over the place.
Freesat box quickly collected and a quick look at the FreeFrom section revealed a rarely found, and solitary, Steak Pie so unexpectly did some grocery shopping.
The return on was aided by the southerly wind assisting on the climb of showground hill and the gentler drag across the Stray, in between which it was a pedestrian unware of my ringing of the bell that was the bridleway problem.
The light went red just as started the final climb home but sufficient charge was left.
I just beat the rain.
9.28 miles with 640ft of elevation

Last edited:
Top Bottom