Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
First ride since Sunday's; a boring loop to the grotty town and back. Very overcast making the temperature tolerable, but also pretty grey and miserable with a looming threat of rain. The wind was uncompromisingly against me for more of the journey than by rights it probably should have been.

A bit over 21 miles and 1050ft at 12.7mph and 153bpm for 1300kcal burned. Despite the low speed the higher-than-usual heart rate and effort were noticeable; these probably being the result of the wind; although my health's not great currently so HR's probably likely to be a bit higher than it should be anyway.

As always glad to get out and I feel much improved both physically and mentally for doing so.

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
It's been a while since I last logged in so I've got a few rides to mention:

Tuesday 24th Jan - My brother was free so we headed out together to go clockwise round the longer version of my regular Acton Burnell route. The day was a bit overcast and chilly with mist hanging round in places but otherwise fairly good riding conditions for the time of year.

All went fairly well apart from when we used a short stretch of the A458 at Cross Houses - a driver wasn't going to wait for a gap in the oncoming traffic and went for an overtake I would never even consider when driving. His mirror missed my handlebar by a handful of inches. Thankfully he didn't get as close to Doug. I may have used some bad words.:angry:

This was relatively early in the ride so I had a chance to calm down and enjoy the rest of the trip which was without incident after that. I'm afraid I was chatting so missed the flag of the day at Cound.

24 miles at 12 mph average.

20230124_125554.jpg

At a drink stop near Harnage.

20230124_132205.jpg

Mist hanging round some of the valleys.

---------------------------

Thursday 26th Jan

As @gavgav has reported, Doug and I met up with him for an evening ride. We had a good clear run over to the meeting point so were a few minutes early, then we all headed through town towards Sundorne and out to Uffington, chatting whenever there was an opportunity to do so. The climb over the eastern edge of Haughmond Hill added in some climbing practice for Doug then the descent turned out to have more vehicles on than expected. The one driver didn't dip his lights until Gav changed his own light to the flash setting.

The rest of the ride to Upton Magna, Atcham, Berrington and Betton was enjoyable with a bit less traffic now the evening rush had passed.

23.8 miles by the time I got back at 11 mph average.

No photos from this one as it was dark.

--------------------------------------------------

Tuesday 31 Jan

Doug prompted me to go out for a ride this time and we aimed to do something to get his mileage up as we have plans for some long and hilly rides towards the end of February. With it being quite a blustery day it was difficult to know what route would work best and I thought that the one to Upton Magna, Walcot, Cressage, Acton Burnell and Longnor might be good as there would be a long section that's fairly flat with the wind mostly behind us.

We had a good start on the way to Condover and were chasing and catching another rider until he turned off in the village, then when we got to Lyons Lane the wind really started to help and we made some good progress. The mud and stones mentioned by Gav in one of his recent reports had been cleaned up and there was barely any traffic.

With a crosswind from Cross Houses to Berwick Wharf we got along fairly well but from Upton Magna the road curves so that we picked up a tailwind and got swept along very nicely to Withington and Walcot. Doug certainly seemed to be enjoying it and I noticed that when a quicker rider overtook our speed jumped up a few mph.

After Walcot it gets undulating as always. The wind direction meant it wasn't hindering along Bluebell Lane, as is often the case, but it's a steady climb so we still weren't very quick. The climbing continues after Uppington then there is a nice descent through Eaton Constantine and down into the river valley at Cressage. Doug had the energy to get up the climb of Shore Lane without a stop - unfortunately a couple of cars came along so we needed to pull in to the side for them.

The rest of the ride seemed to be into an againsterly wind. Slow and energy sapping progress but I was pleased that Doug managed it alright even if he couldn't push on as much in the last few miles as his enthusiasm would have liked.

A tad under 34 miles for the trip (we should have gone to the next junction and back to get a round figure at the end) at a pretty decent 12.1 mph average. I'm convinced that if he got out more regularly, Doug could be a better cyclist than I am.

20230131_130146_Richtone(HDR).jpg

The flood plain at Atcham is back to being fields only a couple of weeks after resembling a lake. (Apologies for the finger in shot)

20230131_134328_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Near Uppington, some traditional hedge laying has been taking place.

20230131_135125_Richtone(HDR).jpg

A nice shot of Doug with the Wrekin as a backdrop.

-------------------------------------------

Yesterday 2nd Feb

Doug was working so I got out on my own. It's still quite blustery and colder feeling than the 9C showing on the thermometer would have you expect, so I opted for riding round Acton Burnell again but decided to change it a little for variety.

I headed up Lyth Hill this time and along the track to the top before dropping down to Exfords Green. From here I had a good tailwind to Stapleton then Ryton. I had a quiet run to Longnor then picked up a decent tailwind and enjoyed the road to Frodesley and Acton Burnell. I knew the wind must be a pretty good one when I saw 18 mph come up on the gentle climb past Concord College. and that carried on helping as I headed to Cound Moor and the long straight towards Cressage. I wasn't going that far today and doubled back for Harnage and Cound (the flag of Australia flying this time).

At Cound Stank I thought I'd head through Eaton Mascott for a change (passing Otis Ferry's place) and enjoyed it. At Berrington I again used lanes I don't ride that often, heading to Boreton - into the wind but with some of it sheltered. Just after Boreton I could hear the sound of a chime whistle in the distance - there must have been a steam special on the railway line to Hereford. Shame I didn't get to see that.

I finished by taking the shorter way through Allfield then thought that I'd avoid the worst of the main road by climbing Lyth Hill a second time via Little Lyth.

26.1 miles at 12.2 mph average.

20230202_142916_Richtone(HDR).jpg

On the way to Stapleton.

20230202_153423_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Eaton Mascott.

20230202_154326_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Sunken lane near Berrington.

----------------------------------

Today: The plan was to get out with Doug again but the job he has been doing the last couple of days has overrun so he wasn't available.:sad: I thought I'd get out anyway and considered heading to Melverley but it's blustery and cold again so 11.5C on the thermometer felt more like 2 or 3 degrees in the wind and a long stint against it didn't appeal.

I settled on heading to Pontesbury then climbing up to Habberley and Pulverbatch before joining my regular route to Wilderley, Smethcott, Dudgeley and back via Hollyhurst, Longnor and Condover.

I started over Lyth Hill like I had yesterday but took a right for Plealey and Pontesbury at the bottom of the descent. This stretch was into the wind and really slowed me down. At Pontesbury I turned along Bogey Lane and past the school - it was lunchtime so everyone was outside but they weren't interested in a passing cyclist so none of the smart-alec comments I thought I might have received.

It was a bit slow and steady on the climb to Habberley but I was sheltered from the wind here so that was fine, I then had a helpful tailwind on the bigger climbs en route to Pulverbatch. As I joined the main road at Pulverbatch another rider had just gone past in the direction I was going to take. I couldn't catch him on the descent out of the village but did on the first climb on the way to Wilderley and, after having pulled in to allow a van to overtake, managed to pass him when he pulled in for the same vehicle. After that he followed at a short distance until we went seperate ways at Smethcott Common.

I enjoyed the descent through Smethcott towards Leebotwood and decided not to cut it short here as I had been considering, but to carry on towards Dudgeley. There are a couple of short but sharp climbs on the way that seemed a little easier than usual.

After crossing the A49 the wind was sort of helping and I got on pretty well along the old Roman road, only meeting a couple of cars to slow my pace a little. I did think of extending the ride again but decided that getting home for a hot drink was more appealing this time and headed through Longnor, Ryton, Condover and the short way to home.

28.1 miles at 11.8 mph average. Happy with that considering this route is fairly hilly.

20230203_130412_Richtone(HDR).jpg

On the way between Habberley and Pulverbatch - the view overlooking Lawns Farm

theloafer

Legendary Member
after a walk over to the town (errands to do).weather looked like it was improving ,and i thought even this late 11-30 i could fit in a gentle spin.so a quick change and i was heading up the cycle path from the station ,only to be stopped by a police car. they were looking for a man that had gone missing and showed me a pic and asked to lookout for him. once through Shildon opted to make my way over to Eppleby for coffee, it got out nice ☀️☀️ so after coffee extended the ride by returning back via Darlington (as you do ). and came into Aycliffe village via a b/way that misses out all traffic... ended up just over 40 miles

https://www.strava.com/activities/8498851423
P1010086.JPG

P1010090.JPG

P1010094.JPG

P1010095.JPG

galaxy

Veteran
replaced the front pads so thought i best go for a spin to bed them in(and check i did it right). all was good a tad windy but rather warm well got round and no cold fingers ...lol 30 miles on the clock out to Sunderland bridge via the Bishop -Brandon cycleway .. bridleway from Brandon Sunderland bridge, then headed through Hett onto Metal bridge up to Ferryhill .... took a slight detour down the back lane of the row of houses i was born in. out though Ferryhill station-Chilton back along side the A167 to home nice and steady
https://www.strava.com/activities/8487632292
View attachment 676397
this guy `s followed me all day
View attachment 676398

View attachment 676399

View attachment 676400

View attachment 676401

View attachment 676404

View attachment 676403

My Old stomping Ground

gavgav

Guru
Got out this morning, for another ride with Paul. He wanted to step the miles up a bit, as he’s working towards London - Brighton, in June.

I tried to have a look at the rear wheel, before setting out, to see if I could find the source of the clunking, but after re seating it, the clunk was still there…

So I set out up to Paul’s, for 9am. I tweaked the rear brake adjustment a little, at his, as it didn’t seem to doing much of a job at actually stopping me! We headed off in a Westerly direction and had only gone a mile or so, before encountering a knob in a Honda Civic Type S, who zoomed past us and a car coming the other way, almost taking the front wing of the other car out, prat.

We then climbed up and down to Montford Bridge, before joining the busy lanes to Forton and Great Ness. We found knob number 2 at the T-Junction there, who decided to turn right onto our side of the road, swerving at the last second to avoid us 🤷‍♂️

We turned North and along the lane to Prescott and Baschurch. It was out onto the main road there, where we overtook a chap in a sporty wheelchair, who was getting on well and it looked hard work on the arms.

The rat run to Yeaton was its usual busy self, before we turned right to Grafton and Fitz, then the long climb up to Leaton, which always catches me out in regards to how much of a pull it is. Knob number 3 encountered along there, by Paul, with a flat bed lorry towing a flat bed trailer, almost wiping him out with the trailer, after going for an overtake into the path of a car and swerving into the gap between me and Paul. What the actual **** is up with some people 🤷‍♂️

The main road from Yeaton to Berwick and Shrewsbury wasn’t too busy and it’s a mostly flat or slightly downhill run, which is nice. At Coton Hill, we dropped down to the town centre and then along Smithfield Road, to the Quarry.

When entering the park we came across a colleague of mine, Amy, with her family, who I hadn’t seen for a couple of years, other than on a Teams screen, so it was lovely to see her and have a chat. Her other half is a mountain biker and he was on the bike, with Amy looking after their little girl. I used to manage Amy and she’s a star.

The Quarry was busy and so needed a bit of weaving to get through, before we crossed Greyfriars Bridge and then climbed up Longden Road, to the island where we parted ways.

I had a short distance to head home from there, via Meole Brace. It had slipped my mind, but the clunk from the rear wheel appears to have sorted itself during the ride! Hopefully Phil will be able to give the bike a much needed bit of TLC this week.

24.1 miles at 11.7mph avg

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
February's qualifying ride for the Imperial Century a Month Challenge done and dusted today. Out of the door at silly o'clock to hit the Kent lanes. Luckily here in the SE of Englandshire the weather is very favourable for cycling at the moment. Temperatures hovered around the 7's and 8's for the ride but not feeling particularly cold. Winds were relatively light also. A nice gentle tailwind for the journey out and a little headwind for the ride back, but nothing to really complain about. As we haven't had much in the way of rain recently, the lanes were mostly dry meaning a faily clean bike and human by the time I got back home Lots of other cyclist out today also, both lonesomes and clubs.

So scores on the doors.
101 Miles for the day
Century #2 for the year
Century #322 over all
Imperial Century Month 147 in a row.

Polhill windmill at 7am
20230204_071451.jpg

Mistletoe in abundance
20230204_081737.jpg

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
25 miles today. It started off fairly mild, but my nudey knees were chilly once home.

Out to the coast road via Membland then down to Bull and Bear and Ermington. Of late drivers have been really good but from Battisborough to Ermington I had 3 incidents. Bless their cotton driving gloves!

I ended up in Ivybridge, the river Erne looking a bit boney.

Due to Zwift my legs were tired again so I thought out the flattest route home (for round here), but I was thwarted by a road closure. I had to go up the long hill to Westlake! Bummer!

https://www.strava.com/activities/8504287595

089D0F4D-3FD1-44A5-B01D-183619004D61.jpeg

CA158CFA-FD58-4EB6-9E5C-8CDBFCEE552A.jpeg

15DA084E-F2E0-447A-80F9-AF03C18854EE.jpeg

82BCA568-0E97-441B-9B1A-9FE57B91D3FF.jpeg

Mike_P

Guru
Ebike out on the larger Lidl at Knaresbrorough ride this afternoon and in quick succession on Bilton Lane as it transits from a suburban road to a tarmac bridleway a recubent and then a tandem went in the opposite direction. Further on a local resident had the gate open so for once no juggling of the handlebars through the A frame barrier. After the decent of the Beyrl Burton cycleway the lack of foilage allowed for a view along the River Nidd through High Bridge.
Variety.jpg

Over High Bridge and along Waterside, under the railway viaduct and despite the lack of foilage the Castle still party obscured.
Kboro 040223.jpg

Being kind to the battery carried on along the gorge. Lidl was out of ricecakes, the main reason for going to that larger store but I did pick up a new pair of thermal leggings. The relatively gentle uphill back from Lidl and down Castle Ings and back along Waterside.
Kboro 040223-2.jpg

On the climb up the A59 two cyclists took to the cycle path so the ebike whirred pass on the carriageway to the top of the steeper section.
Kboro Hill 040223.jpg

Down though Starbeck and the subway as the level crossing barriers had dropped to reach Morrisons.
A £5 off £20 voucher popped out at the till^_^
A long snooze at a set of three way temporary lights to cross the A59 was mitigated by the subsequent crossing of that road being done non stop for once.
14.77 miles with 1083ft of elevation.

Ebike out on the larger Lidl at Knaresbrorough ride this afternoon and in quick succession on Bilton Lane as it transits from a suburban road to a tarmac bridleway a recubent and then a tandem went in the opposite direction. Further on a local resident had the gate open so for once no juggling of the handlebars through the A frame barrier. After the decent of the Beyrl Burton cycleway the lack of foilage allowed for a view along the River Nidd through High Bridge.
View attachment 676771
Over High Bridge and along Waterside, under the railway viaduct and despite the lack of foilage the Castle still party obscured.
View attachment 676772
Being kind to the battery carried on along the gorge. Lidl was out of ricecakes, the main reason for going to that larger store but I did pick up a new pair of thermal leggings. The relatively gentle uphill back from Lidl and down Castle Ings and back along Waterside.
View attachment 676773
On the climb up the A59 two cyclists took to the cycle path so the ebike whirred pass on the carriageway to the top of the steeper section.
View attachment 676774
Down though Starbeck and the subway as the level crossing barriers had dropped to reach Morrisons.
A £5 off £20 voucher popped out at the till^_^
A long snooze at a set of three way temporary lights to cross the A59 was mitigated by the subsequent crossing of that road being done non stop for once.
14.77 miles with 1083ft of elevation.

I see reports like this and I'm reminded how much of the UK I haven't seen.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
February's qualifying ride for the Imperial Century a Month Challenge done and dusted today. Out of the door at silly o'clock to hit the Kent lanes. Luckily here in the SE of Englandshire the weather is very favourable for cycling at the moment. Temperatures hovered around the 7's and 8's for the ride but not feeling particularly cold. Winds were relatively light also. A nice gentle tailwind for the journey out and a little headwind for the ride back, but nothing to really complain about. As we haven't had much in the way of rain recently, the lanes were mostly dry meaning a faily clean bike and human by the time I got back home Lots of other cyclist out today also, both lonesomes and clubs.

So scores on the doors.
101 Miles for the day
Century #2 for the year
Century #322 over all
Imperial Century Month 147 in a row.

Polhill windmill at 7am
View attachment 676755

Mistletoe in abundance
View attachment 676756

well done , i would like to do an imperial a month challange but time is against me, i can get a metric one is easily enough

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
2 up today but my ride mate had done a lot of miles this week and is 5 stone heavier so he struggles on the hills and i had a niggly back which went as i got off the bike at the cake stop :sad: I still struggled on to get the full ride in then a hot bath followed by ibuprofen gel with stretching eased it enough to move but mrs ck had to take my shoes off .
New cafe today near etwall called fannys farm shop and kitchen which was very good
1675608057531.png

e%3Djpg&fb_obo=1&utld=cloudfront.net&stp=c0.5000x0.jpg

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Another metric half century done this morning. A lovely clear Spring morning. The first snowdrops flowering in ditches along the way. People out walking dogs, riding horses and cycling. I headed off out on a loop that I thought would just about exceed the 50km, starting with Frocester. The George is where Mrs D and I like to go for special meals out. Birthday, anniversaries etc:
31..JPG

A quiet little lane leads from there to Cam, on the outskirts of Dursley, running parallel to the Cotswold edge. At Cam I discovered the flip side of riding on your own. There is a T junction onto a main road with a blind bend in one direction. When we ride as a club, whoever goes first can call out that the road is clear and we can all get moving quite quickly. Today the main road was unbelievably busy for a Sunday, and I thought I was never going to get out. In the end I walked to a better vantage point and pushed the bike across when the road was clear before remounting. I then headed on to the Wildfowl and Wetland Trust at Slimbridge. Nice to see there are bike racks there. Must bring my membership card next time.
32.Slimbridge WWT.JPG

Retracing half a mile, I stopped off at the Black Shed cafe on the canal bank:
33.Black Shed.JPG

From my outside table, there were lovely reflections to be seen.
34..JPG

This view was even more welcome, though:
35..JPG

Headed back towards Frampton avoiding as much of the A38 as possible by taking this nice quiet little lane over to Cambridge (no, not that Cambridge):

36..JPG

Finished off by taking my usual lanes through Frampton on Severn, Saul and Epney ... where I always stop to gaze across the Severn, which was looking particularly calm and harmless today.
37..JPG

It won't be the same in a few weeks time, when the monster 10 metre tides and 4* Severn Bores come along. I can't wait for that, as the last two years have been lacking in large bores. Should be something of an event, with surfers, kayakers, speedboats and perhaps even helicopters and powered hang gliders following the bores. I shall be following on my bike. Oh, well, that's another 31.5 miles done. A nice ride.

A bit fresh this morning but lovely and I rode out to one of the local villages expecting a decent turn out on the group gravel ride. I was wrong only my uber strong mate appeared.

We had a great ride out to the Top Lodge Cafe at Fineshade via Yarwell Mill, Sulehay Forrest, Ring Haw Woods, Bedford Purlieus Woods, Kings Cliffe and Fineshade Woods.

After a delicious brownie we headed back to Elton via the Bridleway south of Kings Cliffe, Apethorpe Cut, Nassington, and one of Elton's many Bridleways.

IMG-20230205-WA0000.jpg

As we had plenty of time we decided to go over Greenhills Road to Bullock Road then the Bridleway south of Hampton. Thats when the proverbial wheels started to come off for me 😂 I kept him in sight to Hampton but lost him on the run to Farcet. He had turned left to town at Farcet lol, I carried straight on to the river path (River Nene) round the back of Stanground and into town via the new Fletton Quays development.

Screenshot_20230205-122321_Strava.jpg

When I was chasing him (or at least thought I was) the top right link on Garmin's Training Status was apt 'Help'!

Screenshot_20230205-122159_Connect.jpg

geocycle

Legendary Member
‘Better drown than duffers, if not duffers won’t drown’ was the sum total of parental approval needed for the Swallows and Amazon to embark on their Lake District adventure. I think the 1930s middle class English translates as ‘give it a go, you’ll be fine‘, so with that in mind I headed to Windermere on a frosty but bright morning. I waited for the ice to melt and was pleased to see the roads were mainly dry and clear. Out through Silverdale and then round the Kent estuary to Levens. Across the flats of the Lyth valley to Cartmel fell. I climbed the steep road with 20% sections past the Masons Arms and on to Gummers Howe. Then shut the eye and hurtled down to Fellfoot and Windermere. The wild swimmers had largely cleared the boathouse cafe but a sausage roll and flapjack had my name on it. Back via High Newton and Levens. 104 km with 1400m of climbing, but felt more!

pictures of Windermere from Gummers How, The view up the lake and the cafe at Fellfoot.

B1562679-BCED-41B2-8753-81861CD71518.jpeg

AE94C893-3D14-45BC-A95C-083D61A5404C.jpeg

9C1D3E86-0768-4489-A25A-B91567C9E17E.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom