Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

footloose crow

Über Member
5 Feb. Where do you go to my lovely....

When I get back from a ride, pushing the bike across the lawn and leaving a track through the grass, my wife always spots me and opens the patio doors to let me in. It is good being welcomed home. She always asks if I enjoyed the ride (Yes...I like being on a bike even when it is raining and cold) and then she asks "where have you been today?".

I could give her a list of places. Place names, even minor road junctions have names down here although only the cows and crows would pay any attention to them, the names of lanes, a gazetteer, an A-Z of Cornwall.....

But that isn't where I have been. I have been inside my own head for five hours on a lonely ride. I don't mind riding alone although it is both physically and mentally more tiring. I have been day dreaming. I have been watching out for mud and avoiding potholes, remembering conversations from many years ago and replaying them to see if I could have handled them better. I have been looking for snowdrops and daffodils and the first buds on trees and listening out for traffic. I have been monitoring the rasp of my own breath on hills and feeling mildly anxious about my health. There is no problem with my health but I can't stop being vigilant. I have been thinking about which hills are still to come and if I am going faster than last time I came this way or is age and time wearing me down. I tried to think of words to describe the blue of the sky or how the cold pinches the ends of my fingers even through gloves. I ponder how to avoid being too hot on hills and too cold on descents or in the shaded valley bottoms.

DSC00223.jpeg

Snowdrops!

Where have I been?. Riding out of Truro and onto the quiet, muddy lanes lined with winter bare hedges around empty fields. Through St Stephen (or St Stephens according to the sign on the other side and it has another name in Cornish. Villages here are like cats with a name we call them and a secret name that only they know) and onto the clay hills. The excavated hillsides in this area are called 'pits' but these pits are visible from space, pure white with deep turquoise lakes at the bottom. Next is Roche, which has recently been identified as the site of a Roman fort big enough for 10,000 soldiers although what 10,000 soldiers were doing here is a mystery. There wouldn't have been enough food locally to feed that number. Maybe they built the fort too big. Even the Romans made errors.

DSC00218.jpeg

Clay pits above St Stephen

There is a fast, flat road from Roche to Indian Queens and the wind was behind me so I managed 50km/h for a while. Made up for the grovelling, low gear spinning, breath grunting, leg complaining slow hills earlier. Then a turn to the north and onto more quiet lanes, mud brown with chewed up verges as tractors pull silage tanks from one field to the other. The cows are all indoors being laughed at by the sheep who are lambing happily outdoors in January down here in the mild south west. Not that it feels mild today despite the clear sky. It is six degrees above zero and in the wind chill it feels colder.

DSC00225.jpeg

Up, down, up and down again....

Onto St Newlyn East and I can find nothing to remember about this village except I know I passed through it and it possibly had a pub that was still open. Across more lanes but against the wind now and then through Goonhavern and on until I can see the north coast, the wide blue Atlantic beyond and the waves are big enough to show as lines of white rollers even though Perranporth is still three km away. Perranporth is as busy today as it is in summer, the car parks filled, the pasty shops have queues and the waves are crowded with surfers. Sitting on a bench and listening to the people passing in front of me. I can hear accents from the north west, the hard vowels of the midlands, the sloppy consonants of London and the south east. I wonder why they have come here in February. It will be raining until May.

DSC00227.jpeg

Perranporth beach

Seventy km done now and thirty to go. Uphill from here for a while to cross the spine of hills that runs longitudinally across Cornwall and then a fast downhill to Chacewater where I can set all the speed awareness signs flashing - such small things bring me great joy. It is beginning to warm finally, the sun has reached its zenith or at least as far as it is prepared to go at this time of year. More lanes and they are filling with walkers and children and prams and my bell is paying for itself as I weave between jerking dog leads, irritated by having to slow but aware that pedestrians have priority.

Along Restronguet Creek, the low sun shining wetly on the tidal mud flats and all the yachts pulled up on the foreshore until it gets warmer. One last hill, a real leg stinger and Truro is in sight.

DSC00232.jpeg

Restonguet Creek - it leads to the sea eventually.

So where have I been? Nowhere really...just a winter ride on a rare blue sky day and now I can't even remember what it was I was thinking about as I rode around. That means I will have to do it again in a few days.....

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Some cracking rides folks :smile:

Relatively speaking, this weekend's been great for riding. Managed the previously mentioned 21-ish beneficial but non-fun miles on Friday, went for a very gentle mosey to the bottle bank and eggmonger yesterday (about 6 miles IIRC) then after some deliberation managed to get out today to the shop.

It was chilly but nice in the sun. I wore thin walking trousers, long-sleeved merino baselayer and thinnish gloves; which proved appropriate once warm - my chest and face being a bit chilly to start with.

I took the usual route, unsurprisingly there were plenty of folks out. The ride started off very sedate but got a little quicker on the way home. Friday was obviously a relatively high effort as my quads ached a bit today.

I think I have the shop down now - knowing which rack to lock the bike to so that I can watch it as I leisurely push my stuff through the self-checkout.. although I did forget the pork scratchings :sad:

The Fuji generally behaved itself, although needs a bit of attention as it dropped the chain twice shifting into the smallest chainring (suspect the limit screw just wants a tweak), the chain is squeaking a little (probably because it's been relegated to the damp shed) and the FD cable has started to fray as I've failed to be decisive about how to finish it - tbh will probably just bang on a crimped end to stop it getting any worse.

First ride I've done for a long time where it's generally just felt really good / pleasant to be out, and now I'm back I feel great for it / the rest of the weekend's activities. This has yet again served to drive home how potentially life-changing it would be if I could cycle daily / near daily all the time.

In summary around 18.8 miles and 730ft at 132bpm and 11.2mph for a little over 1000kcal burned :smile:

IMG_20230205_161844.jpg

EDIT: My arse cheeks are killing me today so the weekend's activities must have done me good :tongue:

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
Sunday 1pm and it had warmed up from zero at 8am. Out on the Defy westbound up the long drag of Penny Pot Lane; in order to head north on the B6451 and another non-stop crossing of the A59. Down the decent into one of the tributary valleys to Nidderdale and a strange sound from the bike; stopped and discovered the rear mudguard an inverted V shape on top of the wheel. Fortunately the mudguard, a Flinger Race Pro, was correctly reshaped without any visible evidence of its shape changing ability and shortly thereafter arrived at Darley
Darley combi.jpg

East to Birstwith where I paused for a snack and then up the western Clint Bank; the light but nevertheless cold wind had actually made me look forward to the climb, which brought me to the route of NCN67 through Ripley
Ripley 050223.jpg

and along the Nidderdale Greenway pausing at Bilton Viaduct over the gorge of the River Nidd.
Nidd gorge.jpg

20.27 miles 1365ft climbed 11.9mph avg

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
5 Feb. Where do you go to my lovely....

When I get back from a ride, pushing the bike across the lawn and leaving a track through the grass, my wife always spots me and opens the patio doors to let me in. It is good being welcomed home. She always asks if I enjoyed the ride (Yes...I like being on a bike even when it is raining and cold) and then she asks "where have you been today?".

I could give her a list of places. Place names, even minor road junctions have names down here although only the cows and crows would pay any attention to them, the names of lanes, a gazetteer, an A-Z of Cornwall.....

But that isn't where I have been. I have been inside my own head for five hours on a lonely ride. I don't mind riding alone although it is both physically and mentally more tiring. I have been day dreaming. I have been watching out for mud and avoiding potholes, remembering conversations from many years ago and replaying them to see if I could have handled them better. I have been looking for snowdrops and daffodils and the first buds on trees and listening out for traffic. I have been monitoring the rasp of my own breath on hills and feeling mildly anxious about my health. There is no problem with my health but I can't stop being vigilant. I have been thinking about which hills are still to come and if I am going faster than last time I came this way or is age and time wearing me down. I tried to think of words to describe the blue of the sky or how the cold pinches the ends of my fingers even through gloves. I ponder how to avoid being too hot on hills and too cold on descents or in the shaded valley bottoms.

View attachment 676948
Snowdrops!

Where have I been?. Riding out of Truro and onto the quiet, muddy lanes lined with winter bare hedges around empty fields. Through St Stephen (or St Stephens according to the sign on the other side and it has another name in Cornish. Villages here are like cats with a name we call them and a secret name that only they know) and onto the clay hills. The excavated hillsides in this area are called 'pits' but these pits are visible from space, pure white with deep turquoise lakes at the bottom. Next is Roche, which has recently been identified as the site of a Roman fort big enough for 10,000 soldiers although what 10,000 soldiers were doing here is a mystery. There wouldn't have been enough food locally to feed that number. Maybe they built the fort too big. Even the Romans made errors.

View attachment 676947
Clay pits above St Stephen

There is a fast, flat road from Roche to Indian Queens and the wind was behind me so I managed 50km/h for a while. Made up for the grovelling, low gear spinning, breath grunting, leg complaining slow hills earlier. Then a turn to the north and onto more quiet lanes, mud brown with chewed up verges as tractors pull silage tanks from one field to the other. The cows are all indoors being laughed at by the sheep who are lambing happily outdoors in January down here in the mild south west. Not that it feels mild today despite the clear sky. It is six degrees above zero and in the wind chill it feels colder.

View attachment 676949
Up, down, up and down again....

Onto St Newlyn East and I can find nothing to remember about this village except I know I passed through it and it possibly had a pub that was still open. Across more lanes but against the wind now and then through Goonhavern and on until I can see the north coast, the wide blue Atlantic beyond and the waves are big enough to show as lines of white rollers even though Perranporth is still three km away. Perranporth is as busy today as it is in summer, the car parks filled, the pasty shops have queues and the waves are crowded with surfers. Sitting on a bench and listening to the people passing in front of me. I can hear accents from the north west, the hard vowels of the midlands, the sloppy consonants of London and the south east. I wonder why they have come here in February. It will be raining until May.

View attachment 676950
Perranporth beach

Seventy km done now and thirty to go. Uphill from here for a while to cross the spine of hills that runs longitudinally across Cornwall and then a fast downhill to Chacewater where I can set all the speed awareness signs flashing - such small things bring me great joy. It is beginning to warm finally, the sun has reached its zenith or at least as far as it is prepared to go at this time of year. More lanes and they are filling with walkers and children and prams and my bell is paying for itself as I weave between jerking dog leads, irritated by having to slow but aware that pedestrians have priority.

Along Restronguet Creek, the low sun shining wetly on the tidal mud flats and all the yachts pulled up on the foreshore until it gets warmer. One last hill, a real leg stinger and Truro is in sight.

View attachment 676952
Restonguet Creek - it leads to the sea eventually.

So where have I been? Nowhere really...just a winter ride on a rare blue sky day and now I can't even remember what it was I was thinking about as I rode around. That means I will have to do it again in a few days.....
Is that up, down ,up road just before St Newlyn East looks familiar . Certainly done all those hills up to St Newlyn East . Have you found the preaching pit ? It's on the road to Newquay ,so I presumed you turned off before it and went through Fiddler's green

footloose crow

Über Member
Is that up, down ,up road just before St Newlyn East looks familiar . Certainly done all those hills up to St Newlyn East . Have you found the preaching pit ? It's on the road to Newquay ,so I presumed you turned off before it and went through Fiddler's green

You are correct - St Newlyn. Preaching pit is great. There are a number of them dotted about Cornwall. Yes went to Fiddlers Green and then Goonhavern.

theloafer

Legendary Member
weather forecast was right for once sunny and a tad chilly... so where today. while i had my porridge i got the urge for some (fat rascals ) and the nearest Betty`s to me was at Northallerton 24 miles away down the A167. thought i would make a day of it so used the old Darlington 50 mile route and with the start and finish bits turned out to be a rather nice 70 miles .
while in Northallerton called in for my normal sausage sarnie at the The Terrace Cafe and a coffee .then it was over the road to Betty`s load up with the rascals and head back ...

https://www.strava.com/activities/8515661552

P1010096.JPG

the river tees
P1010097.JPG

P1010100.JPG

P1010101.JPG

P1010102.JPG

P1010104.JPG

P1010106.JPG

ice floods lol
P1010107.JPG

P1010108.JPG

theloafer

Legendary Member
today did not start well ..my Garmin did not want to play and GPS was lost for about 11 mile , might have been because of the northeast`s Bermuda triangle (WEST AUCKLAND) .. LOL . was heading for Toft hill as there is a very nice coffee stop, at the A68 cafe. coffee and cake filled the hole and it was then down to fir tree and then back to Bishop Auckland on the A689, drivers all been well behaved . on the way to South Church had a bit of time so headed along the Auckland way to Spennymoor and call in on a friend but she was not at home .
by then it was time to head home so it was up to Kirk Merrington, and the back lanes to Aycliffe . not as warm as yesterday but nice to keep the old legs turning.. lol 35 miles more or less https://www.strava.com/activities/8521139951

P1010111.JPG

P1010112.JPG

P1010113.JPG

P1010115.JPG

P1010116.JPG

P1010117.JPG

P1010118.JPG

Spartak