Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Visit to Rode Hall near Congleton on the tandem to see the snowdrops, which were stunning.

A bit chilly for many photos, but managed nearly 50 miles and a very tasty chicken pie for lunch at the Bear's Head in Brereton.

20230211_123239.jpg

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
My mountain bike returned from the doctor yesterday, so I went for a spin on it.

Down Widey Hill and up to the hamlet of Preston. I stopped to see some cows on the way

77BACC47-4E56-487D-BE9B-CF6D17350525.jpeg
As I was getting back to the road my rear brake started to make an awful noise…. I carried on along the bridle way and upthe hill to Battisborough. I stopped in a farm gate and took the back wheel out, hoping that something would fall out…. I didn’t see anything.

Going down the hill in Noss was fun with no back brake, I took it easy.
Luckily at Bridgend is where Max lives, he’s the local bike mechanic who does my bike. He was in his house and he had some brake pads.

It turned out that my pad had come away and I was metal on metal. What a racket! Now I have new pads back and front!

83198EEC-9AD2-427A-8E84-886187AF6FA3.jpeg

7668EE41-9CCF-4225-8A09-FDDA89809662.jpeg

9E2E62E6-599D-41E6-90BD-99C0780906CD.jpeg

AB961847-E5CE-43BA-B6A7-7015610706C3.jpeg

https://www.strava.com/activities/8543185625

Jameshow

Veteran
Went round the moor today inner loop as the main roads were too busy for comfort. Tired after park run then decking work whilst daughter had horse ride. Took the Cannondale so went the inner route to maximize my weight adv of my carbon bike. Mate T does know the word steady. Caught a group in Ikley and T gave it legs and over took them! Caught a old guy who complained we had maxed his heart rate, I limped up to Baildon whilst T gave it his all! Knackered!!

gavgav

Guru
1 and a bit rides to report.

Yesterday evening @Rickshaw Phil picked me up, to go and collect the bike from his, after the interim service he’s carried out for me.

We then did a short test ride, around the village and back down to mine. The bike felt great, with just a small adjustment to the front brake.

An excellent job done by Phil as always 👍🏻

4.36 miles.

Today I’d arranged another ride with Paul and had decided to take him up a hill. He’s doing London to Brighton in June and so I thought I’d up the difficulty a bit for him. Cruel to be kind, as he needs to up things a bit in his training!

We met at a nearby school, on a dull but mildish morning and took the main road to Annscroft, which was very muddy in places, unusually so for a main road.

We paused for Paul to take a work call and then turned onto the lanes to Plealey and then began the long and steepish climb up to Oaks. It rises about 500 ft in a mile and a bit, so not ridiculous, but more than Paul has done for a long while.

He coped quite well for the initial section, until we got to the steep bit, where he was thinking of getting off and walking, but I kept encouraging him and I suggested we pull into the farmyard for a breather, which we did.

We then set back out for the second half and I purposely set off a bit quicker, to create a good gap and let him go at his own pace, rather then trying to keep up with me.

I crested the hill at Oaks and pulled in to take a couple of pictures, while waiting for Paul.
09E30FFE-CFB9-4A3E-A0FF-6D83A51AA6B7.jpeg

CC6C848A-CB89-4F5C-BB0C-86E0007963EA.jpeg

I’d only been there a couple of minutes, when he arrived and he’d made it without walking, which I told him was a really good effort. He’s not got the lowest of gears on his Bianchi either and I said he’ll thank me when he’s battling up Ditchling in June. He did say I’d lied in saying it wasn’t ridiculously steep though 🤣

We then descended to Wrentnall and up the lane and short section on the main road to Pulverbatch. The descent from there to Stapleton is great fun and lasts about 2 or 3 miles, which Paul enjoyed.

We then followed our regular route to Gonsal and Condover, before joining Lyons Lane, which is getting muddy again from the tractors, one of which pulled out not too far in front of us, which saved us having to pull in to let it through.

Approaching the short sharp climb, we found that a Motocross event was happening on the course there, so we stopped and watched for a few minutes. They were kids between about 8 and 12, at a guess and they were certainly giving it some guts, really impressive stuff.

We continued on to Betton Abbots and out onto the A458, for the very short section, which was busy and we encountered todays knob who hooted at us for having the temerity to just be there and came past within inches. We caught them up at the island and made them quite aware of what a prat they were.

We parted ways with 20.75 miles on the clock, at 11.7mph avg, which I thought was decent on that terrain.

The bike also felt brilliant, perfect gears and brakes, plus much smoother and definitely rolled better than it had been for a while with the dragging brake. Thanks Phil.

Mike_P

Guru
Ebiked into town this morning for a touch of shopping – outbound the battery disconnected at the foot of a climb which brought me to a quick stop to sort it out. On the return I realised I had not started the Elemnt Bolt and next thing I knew it fell off. Thankfully avoided by passing cars.

Midday and threats of lingering cloud transpired into a locally sunny Saturday. the Defy initially on the same route as last week, turning quickly north down Burley Bank, a minor delay crossing the A59 and down to Hampsthwaite to climb the eastern Clint Bank continuing to the summit and then also for the first time up the climb into Burnt Yates. Then up, with a few downs, Brimham Rocks Road, also for the first time in this north west direction. The westerly wind being a general hinderance since the start of the ride.

Paused for a snack at the car park for the National Trust maintained rocks. Around them on the road to reach the B6265 east north east to the directional sign to Eavestone.

East via Sawley to Studley Royal (hiding) deer park and then Ripon for a snack by the River Skell. Followed the route of NCN688 through Littlethorpe to Bishop Monkton, continuing south actually overtaking another cyclist on a climb whilst a motorist kindly waited before overtaking to reach Farnham.
EavesFarn.jpg

Thence to Knareborough and normal route home with that westerly wind again.

36.61 miles 2621ft climbed 11.8mph avg
110223 route.jpg

Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran
Ebiked into town this morning for a touch of shopping – outbound the battery disconnected at the foot of a climb which brought me to a quick stop to sort it out. On the return I realised I had not started the Elemnt Bolt and next thing I knew it fell off. Thankfully avoided by passing cars.

Midday and threats of lingering cloud transpired into a locally sunny Saturday. the Defy initially on the same route as last week, turning quickly north down Burley Bank, a minor delay crossing the A59 and down to Hampsthwaite to climb the eastern Clint Bank continuing to the summit and then also for the first time up the climb into Burnt Yates. Then up, with a few downs, Brimham Rocks Road, also for the first time in this north west direction. The westerly wind being a general hinderance since the start of the ride.

Paused for a snack at the car park for the National Trust maintained rocks. Around them on the road to reach the B6265 east north east to the directional sign to Eavestone.

East via Sawley to Studley Royal (hiding) deer park and then Ripon for a snack by the River Skell. Followed the route of NCN688 through Littlethorpe to Bishop Monkton, continuing south actually overtaking another cyclist on a climb whilst a motorist kindly waited before overtaking to reach Farnham.
View attachment 677686
Thence to Knareborough and normal route home with that westerly wind again.

36.61 miles 2621ft climbed 11.8mph avg
View attachment 677687

Not been to those place since I worked at Waitrose must get out to then again! Almost crashed the van at Brigham rocks!!

geocycle

Legendary Member
February rides can be psychologically and phenologically fulfilling once the intertidal caused by the grey and cold nothingness is overcome. Today was one of those where it would have been easy to stay indoors but the promise of better by the met office had planted the seed of a ride to Bowland. Headed out over the Trough and through the centre of Britain at Dunsop bridge to Slaidburn. Slaidburn gives its name to a well known brass band refrain as well as hosting the riverside cafe serving sustenance to the cycling community. The main focus of the ride was the climb over Cross’o’ Greet. Half way up the first ramp I was confronted by a herd of shee heading toward me. I helped shepherd them down a farm track where they were being scanned for lambs. Snowdrops provided a ubiquitous phenological marker but what was really exciting today was the sight of hares boxing. That was a first for me and a sign spring is on its way. 81 km with 1333m of climbing and a lot of liberated endorphins.

Pictures of Trough of Bowland and Cross ‘o’ Greet on the Tatham fells at 400 masl

72D9FD30-3A05-4415-830A-C4989D4DD816.jpeg

24C5E145-0067-45BC-8E96-6BF446B00920.jpeg

09CF7611-23CC-4225-A605-C8E2E5D2C304.jpeg

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
17 mountain bike miles on roads and bridleways.

There were lambs in the fields and cows in the yard. There was also horse poo all over the bridleways, I went through it and it stunk!

I saw a few buzzards, a raven and a lone Fieldfare.

I called in on my in laws and had a cuddle with Bo who had rolled in fox poo!

598CD6B1-6107-4866-8F14-7062C3EAB783.jpeg

7874635F-C3FC-4F90-8725-533FF34EBA97.jpeg

B437DA4C-E5A3-4859-896A-D99525C74D8F.jpeg

938F85CD-221F-4ABC-A8EC-5CE501D86C1C.jpeg

EC98BB74-E900-4E4C-9A86-A06819693D75.jpeg

715E1F35-0340-4608-A3DF-C533213195DA.jpeg

4BF0568D-F239-4C18-BADA-A11C93ECFA27.jpeg

https://www.strava.com/activities/8549582627

Jameshow

Veteran
February rides can be psychologically and phenologically fulfilling once the intertidal caused by the grey and cold nothingness is overcome. Today was one of those where it would have been easy to stay indoors but the promise of better by the met office had planted the seed of a ride to Bowland. Headed out over the Trough and through the centre of Britain at Dunsop bridge to Slaidburn. Slaidburn gives its name to a well known brass band refrain as well as hosting the riverside cafe serving sustenance to the cycling community. The main focus of the ride was the climb over Cross’o’ Greet. Half way up the first ramp I was confronted by a herd of shee heading toward me. I helped shepherd them down a farm track where they were being scanned for lambs. Snowdrops provided a ubiquitous phenological marker but what was really exciting today was the sight of hares boxing. That was a first for me and a sign spring is on its way. 81 km with 1333m of climbing and a lot of liberated endorphins.

Pictures of Trough of Bowland and Cross ‘o’ Greet on the Tatham fells at 400 masl

View attachment 677754

View attachment 677755

View attachment 677756

Riverbank tearooms?
Must have been closed when I past earlier in the year!

bluenotebob

Veteran
Three short rides today – I was a bit tired after back-to-back 50+km rides on Friday and Saturday but determined to get out anyway. A sunny day but a chilly ENE wind – probably 7 or 8 degrees in the wind but a pleasant 12 or 13 in the shade.

Some photos here from my second ride of the afternoon – a loop around St Brieuc-de-Mauron, mixing quiet lanes with some bumpy field tracks, on my recently serviced MASSI mountain bike.

Wind farm at les Fumards

Eoléons at les Fumards.JPG

Gorse bushes E of St Brieuc-de-Mauron

Gorse near la Justice.JPG

The Forêt de Paimpont in the distance

View to the Forêt de Paimpont.JPG

A farm track near la Ville Haligan that I use a lot but never remember to photograph

Towards Haligan pic 2.JPG

All uphill

Still rolling along
First ride for over a week.

Out early on Sunday morning to see if my legs still work; the world is grey and cool - or maybe that is just my mood.

I quickly remembered why I cycle; five miles in and I'm feeling so much better. Out to Halse and on to Bishop's Lydeard. Very few cars. Gently downhill back in to Taunton and the first close pass of the year. A group of cyclists coming the other way engrossed in their conversation. I'm certain one character would have cycled straight in to me if I hadn't bellowed.

20 odd miles in about 90 minutes.

Luvverly

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Today saw a late decision to nip out for a quick loop before it got dark. Did the usual town run, didn't appreciate it much at first as it was pretty chilly in the wind, but slowly settled into it OK as the ride wore on.

Took one pannier bag to carry my lock as I'd considered / discussed dropping in to see a mate who works in a local pub, however he'd not responded to my last message and tbh I didn't fancy the prospect of leaving the pub diminished after a pint or two and cycling back in the cold; so gave that a miss.

"Highlights" included getting caught in the face of oncoming traffic at some ridiculously long, blind contra-flow due to its sheer length and time taken to cover it on the bike. Got away with it by cycling on the wrong side of the road, which seemed perfectly serviceable despite all the cones suggesting otherwise..

The ride felt a lot easier than last week's similar loop (probably because the wind was less brutal) and by the time I was heading home I noticed I'd clocked less than 50Kcal / mile (which is about normal for me) so I put my back into it a bit to push up my output, bothering 80+ % HR on the last 1.5 miles or so into the village.; with the headwind and upward grad pushing up my output nicely.

Since I had the novelty of the lock I stopped at the Co-op and scored a somewhat reduced pie. Oddly I had no appetite for the reduced donuts and Belgian dark chocolate shorbreads (which are like crack tbh) although now I've got home and relaxed I could easily smash a whole packet... hopefully I'm too lazy to go back out.

A bit over 20 miles and 1000ft at 13.0mph and 137bpm for just north of 1000Kcal burned. Ultimately nothing special, but as usual it was good to get out; I've managed a decent amount of activity over the past few weekends which (along with the weather) is starting to raise my baseline mood a bit I think :smile:

Last edited:
Top Bottom