Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Squeezed in a bottle bank / egg run this morning in the interest of clearing my head out pending having to interact with people later in the day. Short, uneventful but had the desired effect. A proper ride would be good soon..

I know the feeling. I hope the interaction went okay.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
back to the normal routine on sunday of a metric century club ride 63,5 miles 17.5 avg on a fairly flat route today
The cafe was a new one for me at Deer park at Hoar Cross, after missing last week with the back still bad and still sore yesterday i woke up feeling the best i have been in a couple of weeks so decided to get the distance in and luckily there was 5 of us so i could get a wheel to sit on for a rest at times rather than having to push the wind all the way around :smile:
C0kyTfV-ZjH7itSbP5WN_CauD18zyGIlWSjJAcDk-1537x2048.jpg

Exterior-31-1-300x200.jpg

1676814045619.png

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
Confused the bikes today using the road bike in the morning and the ebike in the afternoon for a shopping trip to Aldi which ended up also going to the Co-Op.
Sunny with a cool westerly this morning and off to nab a few nameboards with the bike alongside them.
A set of TTLs slightly delayed arriving at Killinghall.
Onto the A61 and a busy spell of passing traffic scrubbed thoughts of turning off, continued north until turning off east to Bishop Monkton; the wind ensured a PR or two on the largely decending road. Then north and east again to a nameboard for Littlethorpe located adjacent a railway overbridge that has not seen a train for over 50 years.
Back tracked via a snack at Bishop Monkton to the A61 – the westerly on the climb diminishing progress and it was plain the average speed of 14.7 would be a peak.
Across the A61 continuing west then south-west via Markington and the climbs beyond.
KLM.jpg

Another set of TTLs before turning south-east to Ripley from where I followed the Nidderdale Greenway.
Storm Otto had left its mark with one tree branch to climb over and another to duck under at either end of Bilton Viaduct.
nidd viaduct fallen trees1.jpg

24.29 miles 1345ft climbed 12.9 mph avg
190223 route.jpg

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Only 5 miles but it was a tough 5 miles!

I went out near Sheepstor to get a picture for the cycling photo competition. It was of Ditsworthy Warren House which is featured in the film Warhorse. I got there along a gravel track, but then I ventured off into bogs, swamps and at too many points… almost the river Plym!

Lots of 2-3mph riding through clitter (Dartmoor rocks) and up a couple of soft grassy slopes.

https://www.strava.com/activities/8587720766

966F363C-B9D2-45D9-B815-0320BAF1FAC4.jpeg

4ABBEF50-A920-4547-A194-86F0A0DA075C.jpeg

9829B1F3-F987-441E-BDB8-5F3A1D867DFB.jpeg

1F6CE279-D094-468F-8D62-F706BB584933.jpeg

214EC835-8264-40CD-ABA3-20749B8F64C8.jpeg

26540697-56AA-448A-81EE-879A740E94A2.jpeg

E09E6494-57DD-4EA4-96F9-DA5B7C6E2223.jpeg

B09799CA-50AE-43CE-A73F-3DAEAD0CDA29.jpeg

bluenotebob

Veteran
Three rides today – all on the Princess (the LaPierre/Shaper 200). The first was late morning and it was grey and quite chilly with a N wind. A loop out to Plaisance then a longer loop out to the N of Brignac – I thought that would be it for the day when I headed home for lunch. But the sky started to clear so I went back out for another local loop. The sun came out and I thought I’d go back home and get my camera. Third ride was out to Coudray-Baillet for some photos of the chapelle (one pic posted in the ‘MBIFO a church’ thread), then back up to Ville Tual where I met a neighbour walking his dog – then across country to Pontmenard and Geffray, then a thrash back home along the D2. It was one of the nicest afternoons we’ve had this year – not forecast so a really pleasant surprise. 58km in total today.

The fountain at Ville Tual (a reminder perhaps that pagan worship of water still survives in parts of the countryside)

Fountain at Ville Tual pic 1.JPG

My neighbour’s dog (I promised him I’d post a photo of his dog on the internet this evening)

Roogy.JPG

A wooden cross near Pontmenard (I don’t why it’s here – perhaps it’s in memory of someone who died on this stretch of road)

PMD wooden cross pic 1.JPG

A Breton cow ... for @Dave 123 (who also likes photographing cows and sheep)

PMD cow.jpg

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
I was due to go out for a ride this morning, but a panic concerning an elderly relative up in Nottingham kept us on stand-by for most of the day. Once we knew everything was OK, I hopped on the bike and did a variation of my standard Severnside villages ride. 20.5 miles, through Epney (The Anchor Inn on the banks of the Severn ... my bike hiding against the floodwall in the shadows):
38..JPG

Then Saul Junction. This shot is of the small remaining section of Stroudwater Canal:
39..JPG

I returned via the A38, Castle Lane, Epney again and then Longney, where the low Winter sun brought the best out of the churchyard:
40..JPG

Lovely mild weather and bright sunshine. Another nice ride. 20.5 miles to add to my total.

C R

Guru
Been slacking again, and hadn't managed a ride for the half century challenge yet this month. In my partial defence I had Covid last week. I went for a lunchtime loop during the week, and didn't notice any after effects on my riding, so this morning I decided to go for a longish route.

Out at quarter past six, coolish, but no wind, and a hint of pink in the east. Out through St Peters, town, over the bridge and head towards Hallow, and then Holt Heath. Daylight started to show about now.

After Holt I headed for Great Wittley, with a stop at the entrance of Wittley Court for a snack. Didn't stop for long, as I was cooling down too quickly.

At Great Wittley I took the left towards Martley. I hadn't been this way for some time, so was a bit apprehensive about the hill on the way, given my recent lack of fitness, but the hill ended up being shorter and easier than I remembered.

The good thing about going up is that you always get good views. Here's the view towards Worcester.
20230219_072746.jpg

Another good thing about going up is that you then go down. And from here it was going to be mostly downhill to Martley, and then to Lower Broadheath. There was a nice view of the Malverns side on about half way down the hill.
20230219_075720.jpg

Another snack break at the entrance to Elgar's birthplace museum, and still more downhill to Bransford and then Leigh Sinton.

Next is a slight ascent to Newland, and then again Downhill to Upton via Guarlford and The Rhydd, where I made another snack stop, and took another photo of the Malverns.
20230219_085334.jpg

After Upton is unfortunately the last bit is uphill, via Kinnersley, where I stopped to take a picture of the Severn Stoke folly
20230219_093238.jpg

Then up Pirton, through Stonehall Common and a swift last mile via Hatfield.

It feels like my legs are finally back to form for longer rides, but my derriere isn't.

The map
Screenshot_20230219-201007_Connect.jpg

gavgav

Guru
I met up with @Rickshaw Phil this morning, for a properly hilly ride. I took the bike up to his, on the car rack and we set off with a chilly westerly wind blowing.

We began with a short section on the A49, one pass that was a little close, with a car coming the other way, but that was the only slight annoyance on this ride.

The road to Condover was rather affected by some slurry piles 🤢 and it felt quite a battle into the wind, up to Ryton. We came across so many people running around there, that it was almost the village park run! We followed the lane to Longnor and then to Comley, were we branched off and up, for our next A49 crossing of the day, which as done with ease.

We then joined the road to All Stretton and Church Stretton, very busy along there with cars heading to Cardingmill Valley for a walk in the sunshine, through the town and on to Little Stretton.

We then turned onto the lanes and began the 1st steep climb of the day, to Minton and then Hamperley, before arriving at the forestry track.

136B57B4-2E5D-4338-A6A1-9BCBD57A14C0.jpeg

6FBF9DAC-A935-46C4-A173-5426CD29AD19.jpeg

It’s a long old pull up the track, but we wound our way up slowly, without stopping, before we reached the track interchange and paused for lunch, out of the wind.

3A2472C2-F9EE-48CF-B934-ACDE165F102B.jpeg

F60DD018-7DEB-43EC-9774-48D2ABC89101.jpeg

There was a small amount more of climbing, before a descent to the Portway, which we would be following for a good few miles along the ridge of the Longmynd. The views are astounding and it feels so good to have got up there under your own steam.
2FFDF2CF-E16F-4F6E-9644-AA37E01C152A.jpeg

267759CC-2961-496A-A9F8-11BC3B350E2A.jpeg

3CA17B4F-A1E5-4E5A-AB4E-C19EDB05FBC8.jpeg

99173943-F03D-4F16-A6CA-A3727A607522.jpeg

We bumped our way along the rutted track, passing along the edge of the glider club, where plenty were enjoying the wind conditions. It was nice and sunny up there, but the wind was still keen.

After rejoining the road, we had the wind behind us now and that helped us along and then up the climb to Pole Bank and the summit of the Longmynd at 1693ft. We’d climbed over 1000ft since Minton.

There were quite a few walkers at the trig point, enjoying the views towards Wales and the Shropshire plains, but it was windy and cold there, so we didn’t stop long.
5EABD01D-4B69-4164-A8D4-4D92D7E263D1.jpeg

The first part of the descent is quite bumpy and rough, but it then smooths out and with the tailwind, we cruised along the track quite nicely, until rejoining the road at High Park. There is a fast descent from there and I overused the brakes a bit, to ensure I took the junction we wanted, but seemed to cause brake fade, which meant a faster than intended bit of cornering.

The rolling lanes to Picklescott were good fun, followed by Wilderley and then onto the main road to Pulverbatch. We came across road closed signs there, but neither of us fancied back tracking up hills again, so we risked it. The work hadn’t started at all yet and a local at the top asked us how long the closure was and didn’t seem impressed when he found out no work was yet taking place, despite the signs being out.

From Pulverbatch, with the wind behind us, we cruised along at a pretty fast pace through Longden, Annscroft, Hook a Gate and back up the final slog into the wind, before arriving back at Phil’s, with 37.47 miles completed, at 9.9mph avg and heading for 3000ft of climbing. A good day.

Attachments

• 5962D446-C1ED-4061-9620-38DDC46A97E1.jpeg
    5962D446-C1ED-4061-9620-38DDC46A97E1.jpeg
    121.5 KB · Views: 2
An excellent ride this morning, mainly ofroad to Barrowden via Stamford and back to the pub in Fotheringhay. It was still a cracking day when I got out so I went up for a loop of the Fineshade Woods. It was still nice so I headed to Blatherwycke with the aim of being blown home. Youve guessed it, it was still nice so I went over the A43 and through Laxton and Deene before crossing back over the A43 to Bulwick and down to Soutwick. With the wind behind me that was faster than I guessed so I went down to Oundle. I still had that wind behind me upthrough Cotterstock, Fotheringhay and the Elton/Nassington junction. I usually turn there back to Peterborough but with getting there with plenty of light left I carried onto Nassington itself, Yarwell and Wandsford. Before turning back into the headwind to Elton. I finished with a tailwind to Peterborough. Well almost finished I did a few loops of some local roads to round it up.

Screenshot_20230219-184418_Strava.jpg

IMG-20230219-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20230219-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20230219-WA0002.jpg

I got back to a cracker of a sunset.

View: https://youtu.be/b1D_pMOO4NY

View: https://youtu.be/7FowW7FWKsY

20230219_173306.jpg

20230219_173337.jpg

20230219_173351.jpg

15 miler this afternoon in the glorious sunshine, some canals then out of Chester SW along the Dee footpath which was still a bit boggy in places and tough on the gravel bike.
20230220_153237.jpg

20230220_153217.jpg

Fairly busy in town down by the river as probably the nicest day of the year. It felt more like a coolish summers day to be honest.
20230220_150903.jpg

Hope it stays like this as its perfect for cycling. Legs a bit stiff as not done many miles recently, today was a real treat though.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I was due to go out for a ride this morning, but a panic concerning an elderly relative up in Nottingham kept us on stand-by for most of the day. Once we knew everything was OK, I hopped on the bike and did a variation of my standard Severnside villages ride. 20.5 miles, through Epney (The Anchor Inn on the banks of the Severn ... my bike hiding against the floodwall in the shadows):
View attachment 678652
Then Saul Junction. This shot is of the small remaining section of Stroudwater Canal:
View attachment 678653
I returned via the A38, Castle Lane, Epney again and then Longney, where the low Winter sun brought the best out of the churchyard:
View attachment 678654
Lovely mild weather and bright sunshine. Another nice ride. 20.5 miles to add to my total.

I was on your patch today @Donger .

I cycled from Cheltenham through Gloucester and out along the canal towards Berkeley and Bristol. It was breezy today and I had chosen a route directly into the wind.

Here's my photo at the same spot.

20230220_123313.jpg

Top Bottom