Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
I was on your patch today @Donger .

I cycled from Cheltenham through Gloucester and out along the canal towards Berkeley and Bristol. It was breezy today and I had chosen a route directly into the wind.

Here's my photo at the same spot.

View attachment 678823
Hope you enjoyed the ride. The river will be at least half way up that wall on Wednesday and Thursday. Big tides expected. I'll be out following the Severn Bore.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Hope you enjoyed the ride. The river will be at least half way up that wall on Wednesday and Thursday. Big tides expected. I'll be out following the Severn Bore.

It's a lovely area and the light was fantastic; I spoiled the ride by not being fit enough, heading into the wind for every single one of the 50 miles and not taking my time. I do those things on the first longer ride of each year, and usually forget to eat too.

a.twiddler

Veteran
Your Ride Today 19/2/23
I’ve been posting my rides so far this year in Tiny Rides of 2023 but this one is a bit longer.

Today, a sort of test ride after fitting some lowrider pannier frames to the Linear fork, and reducing the width of the bars with a view to getting through cycleway barriers more easily. With some faded Carradice cotton duck front panniers fitted I can pose as a Proper Tourist even though at present they just contain air. I intially thought they might hang too low with a 20” wheel but the pannier frame is deeper than the panniers so there is plenty of clearance for leaning when cornering. The set up does give the illusion of being lower than it is, so passers by might think I scoop up small animals etc on my travels.

Usual non cycling gear. Plus cap, shades, track mitts.

OK then. Out through the gate. I immediately felt that the bar ends weren’t quite right after trimming the bars. Out with the allen key, a tweak here and there, then off down the gradual slope in the direction of Hall Lane.

As I set off I heard something fall out of my left hand pocket. A packet of mints, I realised. I stopped, and a lady walking by helpfully retrieved them and gave them back to me. I thanked her and set off again, reminding myself to keep them thar pockets zipped.

At Darnhall Bridge the traffic lights weren’t working. After a couple of cars came by in the opposite direction I continued to roll downhill to get a run up the other side. Even allowing for my relative unfitness I was surprised how well I got up it, the only drawback being a persistent headwind once I emerged from the roadside trees. Even on a recumbent, I don’t care for headwinds. A couple of cyclists flew by in the opposite direction.

Once back on the level, the headwind was in my face, sapping my energy. A gradual downhill led to my right turn down Hickhurst Lane. I’d hoped that the wind would be less of a problem here but it perversely continued to blow in my face. I pressed on, turning right on to King’s Lane where I struggled to keep any speed up. The ancient brick wall enclosing Oulton Park appeared on my right. Struggling up the last hillock before the road levelled out a roadie passed me slowly and disappeared in the distance.

I came to a T junction with Rushton Lane and turned right downhill following the wall of Oulton Park. At one time shards of jagged glass cemented into the top of it discouraged the peasantry from entering. In hindsight, I didn’t recall it sparkling in the sunshine. Perhaps it has been removed. With the wind behind me I was able to get into the higher gears and get the benefit of riding a recumbent downhill. I knew there was a long downhill then a shorter uphill stretch so I wanted to get speed up to get up it without having to change down too much. As I came round a right hand curve I saw that there was a bunch of walkers and dogs in the road at the bottom of the dip. Two of them were peering over the wall at something inside the park. Although they eventually moved to one side I had to ease off and didn’t get going again at the hoped for speed up the other side. As I changed down and ground up the last bit a bunch of roadies came past. Some said “Hi”, one said, “That’s a relaxing way to do it”. “Doesn’t like this hill much” I said.

The road levelled out, and I saw the group ahead waiting at a T junction. They turned right and as I stopped at the T junction I saw them in the distance. By the time I got going again on Vicarage Lane they had disappeared. A gradual uphill past the entrance to Oulton Park motor racing circuit, then left down Park Road. A nice long downhill, though narrow and sandy. It was relatively painless getting up the other side. Eventually I came out at a crossroads with the A54. I pulled in to let a following tractor and trailer get past, anticipating that he was going to go straight on, as I was. Once across, another good downhill before the long gradual climb up Clay Lane. Perhaps it was the following wind, but the climb seemed easier than I recalled from last time.

This ride seemed to have been hard work mostly because of the headwind. I’d hoped to have gone further before stopping but turned into the car park for the old station at Whitegate. I leaned the bike against a picnic bench and was about to have a drink and a choc bar when a couple who had been walking along the rail trail came over. “That’s a really unusual bike” the man said. The woman said, ”We were interested because we saw an event while we were on holiday abroad involving recumbent hand cycles”. “We’ve never seen a bike like yours before”. So I gave them info about recumbents and answered their questions and they went away happy. I managed to sit down and have a break. I was originally going to do a few more miles but decided to take the shorter route down the rail trail.
Linear with lowrider panniers at picnic table.jpg

Phone picture -may be a bit fuzzy.
There were many people and dogs about so I took a chill pill, accepted the inevitable delay, and lazily freewheeled most of the way to my turn off. One walker said, “nice rig, mate” and looked like he wanted to say more but I kept rolling. It was addictively pleasant trundling slowly downslope in the shelter of the tree lined trail. Eventually I reached the steep gravelly exit ramp and crunched down to the lane where I turned right. Down a badly surfaced dip, then up the other side, through some houses then across a sports complex. Up a steep lane, through an A frame barrier with no difficulty. If it had been flat, it would have been rideable through, and probably is from the uphill direction.

To the top of the lane, right through a housing estate, then left on to Delamere St. With the wind at my back, some easy rolling until I reached the A54 roundabout. A delay due to traffic, then getting going to my turn off. Getting up the hill that doesn’t look like a hill wasn’t so bad, over the hump and some more easy rolling to the downhill lights. No traffic behind, easing off with feet up until the red light changed to green, a final burst downhill to take me through the climb as I turned off and then mostly downhill through local streets to my back gate.
P1020736.JPG

Conclusions
The panniers work fine unloaded though I wondered about their contribution to the effects of the head wind.

An inch or so off the bars each side makes a lot of difference in getting through one narrow cycle barrier, at least, without affecting the feel of the steering. Hopefully this will work for other A frame barriers eg parts of the Trans Pennine Trail, making them less of a pain.

Distance 13.37 miles. Max Speed 24.4 mph. Ave 7.3 According to Garmin. Got to work on those miles.

Total Ascent:​
382​
ft​
Total Descent:
383​
ft​
Start Elevation:
190​
ft​
End Elevation:
190​
ft​
Min Elevation:
120​
ft​
Max Elevation:
261​
ft​
According to Bikehike
57ft per mile approx.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Avonmouth to Highbridge today after battling headwinds yesterday.

I got off to a good start by only losing my way three times getting from my overnight stay to the causeway over the Avon. Ten mostly traffic free miles but a thousand (I counted them)twists, turns and doubling back on yourself. Apologies to the worried-looking lady walking in an orange coat who I passed three times.

After yesterday I was pleased to find my legs were prepared to do their work, so long as I let them do it slowly.

A mid- morning coffee and snack at Yatton railway station cafe fuelled me along the Strawberry Line and Cycle Travel revealed a new to me route from Winscombe to Rooksbridge and Highbridge.

100 miles over two days is encouraging to me; lots of lessons and reminders for the rest of 2023.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Just over 38 miles today
When i started out it was sunny but as i rode the sun went in and the wind cold colder and colder so even though i was sweating and had 2 pairs of gloves and toe covers my hands and feet suffered.
I was aiming for 50 but a cafe i was aiming for i got to in 21 miles so a quick coffee and cake then rode home cutting the ride shorter .
It wasnt until i had a bath that i got feeling back in my feet , having to slowly lower them into the water a bit at a time as the warmth was painful
02qBEZYpMOrJwAsBMCWgDZVJ_PYG0x-JG0S9-R1Sg&usqp=CAU.jpg

Last edited:

gavgav

Guru
A short late afternoon ride with my mate Paul. Lovely evening sunshine, a cool wind, but for February simply glorious.

I cycled up to Paul’s, taking a slightly different route through Radbrook this time, then we set off for a leisurely ride on the same route as last week.

The Quarry was quieter than I expected, but that’s because they were all on the towpath to the weir and it needed plenty of bell use and patience to safely negotiate that section.

Remainder of the ride was along the cycle paths to Meole Brace and we parted ways.

10.6 miles at 10.8mph chatting pace.

Chislenko

Veteran
41 miles today, nothing interesting happened.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Last night I got out on the Routier for the first post-work, pre-pub ride since last year. It's dropping its chain with any hint of back-pedalling thanks to the sticky freewheel resulting from my apparently ill-advised waxing of the cassette last year.. however I quickly found that I could shift out of this impromptu "neutral" with the FD so it was no big issue.

The working day had been "challenging" and as soon as I got out I had a smile on my face thanks to the release of physical escape and some actual physical exertion, in preference to the usual purely mental toil and exhaustion. I did the usual route with a few detours to pass some unaffordable / unsuitable flats, just for curiousity's sake. I smashed it down the tow path into town, then partook in the traffic light grand prix up from the high street back up to the plain; overtook traffic all the way up Cowley road then back to work.

The ride felt fast and exhilerating, although on paper it was only about 12.5mph average. Other than the chain issue the bike acquitted itself very well; the brakes on the relatively newly-fitted ally rims feeling a lot more responsive and viable than my enduring memory of their performance on the chromed steel wheels. I became re-acquainted with the disbelieving, smug satisfaction that something as financially inconsequential as an abandoned bike I'd chucked less than a day's wages at (if many, many days of work) could bring so much pleasure and catharsis.

As usual the city was awash with commuters on bikes and I felt like I was once more home; in an environment I find pleasant and comfortable, around people with whom I share common ground - unlike the Daily Fail reading, chelsea-tractor driving, self-entitled boomer knobheads that blight my existance at home.

Still somewhat bitter-sweet as the prospect of moving back seems distant; if mercifully more achievable than it once did thanks to the apparant trajectory of the housing market. Whatever the connotations it felt great to get out and I hope with the nights retreating and temperatures rising this will now be reinstated as a weekly excursion :smile:

Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Out earlier than usual this morning to do a bit of river watching. After a couple of years with no big Severn Bores, the first of a handful of 4* rated bores was due this morning, so I headed out eagerly to take up my hobby of bore chasing. The crowds were out at the viewpoint at Epney, and cars and vans with surf boards were all seeking out places to stop and get into the water to ride the wave. I met up with some members of our family outside the Anchor, and rode on ahead to Upper Framilode to check on the tide and see whether the bore was going to be on time. At Framilode, just after this shot ...
41 Awaiting 4 star bore at Framilode 2023.JPG

I spotted the wave creeping across the sands, confirming the tide was right on time, so I high tailed it back to Epney to watch it with the family. Little Rafferty just wouldn't smile for his Great Uncle Donger this time:
42. Family at Epney.JPG

For such a long-awaited bore, there was much less of a circus surrounding it than I expected. No speed boats, helicopters, powered hang gliders or drones, just eleven intrepid surfers.
43. Last 11 standing.JPG

44..JPG

The world surfing record was once set on the Severn Bore, when someone rode the wave for (I believe) 7.5 miles. None of this lot made it to Stonebench, about 4 miles further upstream.
45..JPG

Not the best bore I've ever seen, but an event, nonetheless. I stayed for a few minutes watching the power of the surge. You can't help but be impressed by the speed of the river suddenly flowing the wrong way. Said goodbye to the family (though I'd see them for breakfast at our house 3/4 hour later), and I headed back home via Stonebench. A smaller crowd was gathered there, as there is only a short break in the trees at the roadside. I marvel at the scientists who predict the tide times several months in advance. The bore turned up precisely as predicted, with Swiss Railway timing:
47. Stonebench.JPG

A nice bit of white water at this point, and a few people got splashed. I had long since learned to stand on the opposite side of the road! Nice to meet at least one other cyclist who shares my hobby and had followed the bore from Epney. I was beginning to think I was the world's only cycling Severn Bore chaser. 15 eventful miles ridden today. I'll do a bit more than that tomorrow, when the tide will be about half an hour later, and the weather is set to be much brighter. Methinks I'll try to catch it at Epney and at Elmore Back in the morning.

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Sunday: @gavgav has already done a good write up of our Long Mynd ride. I'll just add that it was nice to see Spring lambs in a couple of the fields and that it was great to get out and climb the hills properly. I ought to get up there a bit more often.

20230219_105112_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Gav on the way to All Stretton with Caer Caradoc as the backdrop.

20230219_112327.jpg

Minton.

20230219_113938.jpg

Starting the climb onto the Long Mynd.

20230219_122321_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Looking along the Portway in the direction of the Gliding Club.

20230219_125235_Richtone(HDR).jpg

At Pole Bank.

20230219_130638_Richtone(HDR).jpg

20230219_130649_Richtone(HDR).jpg

After crossing the plateau, a couple of views where we rejoin the road near Robin Hood's Butts.

-----------------------------------

Yesterday: I got my brother out for a ride to see how he got on after fighting a bug. The short version of my Acton Burnell route was his choice as it's not too strenuous. We started off slowly, very slowly in fact, which made me a little worried whether Doug would be alright. He was just taking it very easy though and the pace improved gently between Condover and Longnor.

After a drink stop at our usual spot at the Longnor crossroads we had the wind behind us and we got along quite nicely to Acton Burnell. The climbs were slow but the trend from here is mostly downhill so we had some good sections with a brisk cruising speed. Often we turn into the wind at Cantlop but this time it was in just the right direction not to hinder here and to carry on helping once we reached Condover again. I was pleased that Doug was in good spirits when we got back.

17.1 miles at 12.1 mph average. Good to have got out to enjoy a surprisingly mild day for February.

20230221_134238_Richtone(HDR).jpg

20230221_134250_Richtone(HDR).jpg

theloafer

Legendary Member
had a ride over to Barnard castle just to see if one of my fav café stops was still closed ☹️ while there i dropped down by the river to mouch about. started to get very chilly and lots of dark clouds.so altered planned route and set of homeward with the rain chasing me .cycling past Archers ice cream place i thought i would surprise the boss so i turned round and got her a tub of Bailey's ice cream..... a very cold and damp day but managed 43 miles https://www.strava.com/activities/8604422734

hummer beck lane been cut back a little
P1010156.JPG

P1010157.JPG

P1010159.JPG

don't fancy riding up those
P1010162 (2).JPG

P1010161.JPG

Barnard castle
P1010163 (2).JPG

P1010164.JPG

P1010166.JPG

Top Bottom