Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C R

Guru
Oh my, it was cold, -2C when I set off at quarter past six, but no frost on the ground. Big gloves, neoprene socks and overshoes to keep the extremities warm, skullcap and snood to keep the ears from falling off. This is the bit I don't like of cold winter rides, there's so much stuff to wear that it takes forever to be ready to set off.

So out via the lanes to Kempsey, then Kerswell Green and on to Kinnersley. By the time I got to the top of Kinnersley Bank it was almost daylight already, and Bredon Hill looked great under the pink Sunrise
20230226_064617.jpg

I didn't hang around, as I was cooling down too quickly, so pressed on to Upton and then on to Long Green via Longdon.

I was pondering going to the next bridge down the Severn, but it seemed to be getting colder due to intermittent cloud cover, so I decided to turn to Mythe Bridge instead.

The sun was out again by the time I reached the bridge, with a nice view towards the Malverns
20230226_074059.jpg

20230226_074034.jpg

Had a quick snack, and was on the move again soon. Next was the usual way along the top of Tewkesbury and on to Bredon. There's temporary lights in Bredon, which were red as I reached them, shortly after they turned green, and I set off at the same time as a car arrived behind me. I was giving it some welly, as the speed sign was showing 20mph, but the driver was quite closed to me and squeezed past as we got to the other light. Unfortunately my camera is not working, so I won't be able to report them. Anyhow, I wasn't going to let an idiot ruin my ride.

Instead of carrying on straight towards Kemerton I decided to take the turn for Ashchurch and then the lane to Kemerton from Kinsham. I hadn't been this way before, and seemed like a nice change. By the time I got back to the main road my legs were starting to complain, so I decided to go back down the hill and turn for Eckington instead of the long way round.

Sun was out again when I reached the Eckington Bridge picnic area, so I stopped for a snack and a couple of pictures. The Avon in here is always slow and peaceful

20230226_082917.jpg

The bridge, however, looks rather battered
20230226_082929.jpg

20230226_083540.jpg

The last stretch was Pershore, then Pinvin, the ford to Drakes Broughton, Littleworth and home.

It takes me a bit of pushing myself to get out in the cold, but views like the ones today make it all worth it.

I had raised the seat a smidgen, but that seems to have had a negative effect on my legs, as I found the riding today much harder work than last week, so the seat is back to its original position.

Lovely ride in all, here's the map.
Screenshot_20230226-191339_Connect.jpg

Last edited:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Did a supermarket run this morning that had been becoming increasingly urgent over the past few days, but discouraged by the grey skies and biting NE wind.

This morning was bright and while I didn't fancy the cold I sold it to myself as a necessary and beneficial low intensify waft. I dressed heavily and took it steadily. The sun had brought out plenty of happy, friendly folks enjoying the usual activities.

Highlight: A moment of trancendance in the cornflake isle, presumably from a delayed endorphine rush
Lowlight: Three-abreast freshly-ejected boomer god-bothers forsaking the path for the road and refusing to move to let me past despite apparently being aware of my presence..

As usual good to get out; cold wasn't as bad as it might have been and the sun lasted longer than expected / forecast. Was tired when I left and more tired when I got back, but managed a productive afternoon.

20-something miles at about 11.5mph along with some other numbers that I can't recall :smile:

buzz22

Über Member
Hills again today, a ride out to Royal National Park and a descent to the weir at Waterfall.
I chose my Giant CFR 3 with freshly swapped wheels and it turned out to be a good choice.
20230301_103850.jpg

It's just on 20km to the weir and a lovely winding descent that becomes a bastard of a climb on the way out, just the training I need.
20230301_104107.jpg

20230301_104113.jpg

I was in no hurry so stopped to take in the sounds of the bush- the running water, the birds, cicadas and occasional fish jumping.
20230301_103911.jpg
The climb out saw me make use of the 26 tooth inner ring on the triple chainrings and I experimented with different cadences and gears.
Just over 40 km done and very happy with the wheel and gearing change.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Pushed myself out on the Routier post-work yesterday; with less obvious incentive than last week thanks to a less stressful day, looming grey, snow-threatening clouds and the biting NE wind that seems to be outstaying its welcome.

I remembered to bring my lights from home but forgot my gloves.. tiredness and wind chill dictated a slow ride and my hands were really cold for the first few miles; with conditions removing the chance of the euphoria experienced last week.

As the ride continued my hands unexpectedly warmed up until they were perfectly comfortable, and even though I was expecting a fairly short ride I got progressively faster and chased a much more meandering and random route in and around the city. Despite the conditions I once more found reward in being amongst fellow cyclists, while it was also conspicuous how in this city the bike really is king - both in terms of journey time and ability to assert dominance over what little car-based traffic there is on the slow, urban roads.

All in all I managed about 16 miles and as usual felt a lot better for it. Went to the pub for a quiet pint with the usual group before heading home on the mercifully quiet roads. This morning I awoke tired, aching and with a million things to do; but incongruously upbeat... for which I think I probably have last night's ride to thank :smile:

Last edited:

All uphill

Still rolling along
Having cycled into a brisk wind for too many miles last week, yesterday I decided to combine train and bike to avoid facing the icy blast.

The first train took me to Exeter St David's, where I met up with a friend. We headed out along the Exe to Starcross; with the wind behind us the first ten miles passed quickly.

Coffee and pasties consumed, we turned inland, climbing gently, at first, and then more vigorously. Many stops to check navigation later and we were rewarded with beautiful views on this sunny day, back to the coast and over to Dartmoor.

Onwards to Kingsteignton and Newton Abbot, and onto the train home.

24 miles, £12 rail fare, superb route by Cycle Travel.

Wonderful.

footloose crow

Über Member
Is a bell necessary on a bike?

Bell wars continue in the media this week, as they do most weeks. I have a bell. Using it requires advanced biking skills however - the ability to precisely calculate the speed at which the bells 'ting' travels and the reaction speed of pedestrians, the ability to balance the bike without unclipping whilst waiting for pedestrians to move, an encylopeadic knowledge of dog breeds in order to calculate which side of the path the lead will snake, the deep psychological understanding that allows interpretation of body language from behind....

It is so much easier on the road. At least I know that I don't need to ting my bell every time I see a car. Just endure the occasional passive aggressive 'advice' that my journey would so much easier (for whom?) if I stayed on the path.

Not that we have many cycle paths in Cornwall apart from old railway lines so all of my experience is based on the new cycle/footpath from Marazion to Penzance along the great sweep of Mounts Bay and the fairytale castle of Mount St Micheal. The views are lovely but lots of people want to see them too so I am just not convinced that dual use foot/cycle paths work.

IMG_6414.jpeg

This was a ride with 'Gandalfs Posse', my group of work shy skivers, ignoring the Chancellors requests to return to work because we would rather go out on cold, dull winter days and cycle for sixty miles and talk rubbish about multiverses, string theory, the weakness in geographical determinism as a theory, best (chain!) lubricants and the ideal for gear ratios. There is a lot of 10-36 envy on some of the hills.

DSCN1322.jpeg

Some of us started from Truro and others joined at Perranwell Station and after a long chat and much meandering around things we agreed where we would go and possibly the route we would take. Down to Penzance and back along the north coast cliffs. The north coast cliffs between Hayle and Portreath is one of the best rides in Cornwall. Less impressive than the ride along the north coast from St Ives to Lands End perhaps but still a spectacular rolling road with a dramatic drop on the left and a long view across a turquoise sea, foaming rocks and a hard line horizon that hides the endless Atlantic Ocean just beyond.

IMG_1432.jpeg

Penzance was cold and uninviting, the harbour car park full of sad looking yachts waiting for their spring bottom wash and re launch. There was great bank of cloud that spread across from the sea, threatening rain and making us all wish we had worn more layers. We could see the sky was bluer back east so it was an easy decision to keep rolling and head for home.

This was the March Gran Fondo accomplished. Not that I am anywhere on the spectrum but I do like to tick over 100km as early as possible in the month. A relatively flat 1300m of uphill - Cornwall gets flatter in the winter. We inflate the hills for the tourist season.

Ding ding.....

DSCN1268.jpeg

geocycle

Legendary Member
Long weekend, and snow featuring in forecasts from Sunday, steered me toward a ride out to the Dales. Cold, northeasterly wind and leaden skies but snowdrop-lined dry roads took me first to Ingleton. Pedalled up the steep incline to Twistleton Scar with great views across to Ingleborough. I clearly took it slowly, when I set off the hill had snow on top, by the time I was close to it, none. Up some more to Ribblehead where a surprising number of cars were parked expected three peaks walkers. For me though, it was the descent down Ribblesdale to Settle. Lunch at the Naked Man, no doubt reduced in stature by the biting cold. Home with Yorkshire Curd Tart stuffed in the saddlebag. We have always referred to these as Muck Spreaders based on the obvious Spoonerism. 104 km with 1200 m of climbing.

Pictures of Twistleton Scar, Ingleborough, Ribblehead viaduct and Penyghent.

C3B8A894-80A9-4807-A57E-C97EB7AE03A0.jpeg

2D75C1F8-1912-42F5-A2E4-6B5E0632CDEF.jpeg

C7C42BBD-F031-40D8-B414-11EF849CC144.jpeg

2AC832A8-F05C-4794-BB9F-F65341517EC4.jpeg

Last edited:

bluenotebob

Veteran
A gentle 27km mostly off-road ride this afternoon on my MASSI mountain bike. Trying to stay low down and tree-sheltered, hiding from that cold NE wind.

Across country to the Pont du Rox (on the D303 east of St Brieuc-de-Mauron) then up the W bank of the river Yvel to the Moulin de Bedée. On to Ville Serein and La Noë where I picked up the VP 19 (local vélo promenade) and followed that into Brignac. Took a track NE of Brignac which I hadn’t been on before (and probably won’t again – I stepped into some very wet mud which had been camouflaged by dry leaves – and I had a wet left foot for the second half of the ride).

Turned uphill before la Pirouais, passed the chapelle at La Riaye then turned off onto a woodland track to Corbinais. Home via le Bois de Jugevent and Kerminy then on some farm tracks that I use most days.

Enjoyable – and always good to find a couple of new tracks/trails to explore. I could have made the ride a lot longer but that would have involved going further west and so home against the wind .. which I really didn’t fancy today.

Woodland track SW of Espérance

Track SW of Espérance pic 1.JPG

South of the Moulin de Bedée

S of the Moulin de Bedée.JPG

The chapelle at La Riaye

Chapelle de la Riaye pic 1.JPG

North of la Corbinais … a minor obstacle to be overcome…

N of la Corbinais pic 1.JPG

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
A gentle 27km mostly off-road ride this afternoon on my MASSI mountain bike. Trying to stay low down and tree-sheltered, hiding from that cold NE wind.

Across country to the Pont du Rox (on the D303 east of St Brieuc-de-Mauron) then up the W bank of the river Yvel to the Moulin de Bedée. On to Ville Serein and La Noë where I picked up the VP 19 (local vélo promenade) and followed that into Brignac. Took a track NE of Brignac which I hadn’t been on before (and probably won’t again – I stepped into some very wet mud which had been camouflaged by dry leaves – and I had a wet left foot for the second half of the ride).

Turned uphill before la Pirouais, passed the chapelle at La Riaye then turned off onto a woodland track to Corbinais. Home via le Bois de Jugevent and Kerminy then on some farm tracks that I use most days.

Enjoyable – and always good to find a couple of new tracks/trails to explore. I could have made the ride a lot longer but that would have involved going further west and so home against the wind .. which I really didn’t fancy today.

Woodland track SW of Espérance

View attachment 680289

South of the Moulin de Bedée

View attachment 680290

The chapelle at La Riaye

View attachment 680291

North of la Corbinais … a minor obstacle to be overcome…

View attachment 680294

GREAT PICS 🚴💕💕💕

😉

cwskas

Über Member
I got out on March 1 to ride 100k solo. There was a not-so-friendly forecast for thunderstorms and/or rain, but my analysis led me to believe I could finish without too much moisture. It turns out I was right. ^_^ I am glad I got in the ride.

This picture was just to illustrate the wind I had all day. The forecast was for 20 mph gusting to 40. So I planned the route to have as much break as possible riding beside trees or with a crosswind.
20230301-1.jpeg

I had never ridden by this house before.
20230301-2.jpeg

This was my favorite view. The image didnt really do justice, but that is often the case.
20230301-3.jpeg

And this is the little church where I started as viewed across the field not far from the finish.
20230301-4.jpeg

cwskas

Über Member
Today I rode with a friend in an organized ride, Pedaling the Prairie, a fundraiser for a local school I think. It was about a 3 hour car ride down and back so I stayed the night before. The area is mostly flat with some of the first wildflowers I have seen this season. My buddy, Brad, is much faster than me, so he had me set the pace. My goal was 14 mph average moving.

There were about 2000 riders registered for this event, so we decided to leave a bit early and get out ahead of the crowd. That way people would be passing a few at a time. It was a good choice.
20230304-10.jpeg

We saw wildflowers on most of the route.

Paintbrushes
20230304-6.jpeg

Bluebonnets - the official flower of the State of Texas
20230304-11.jpeg

The Brazos river runs for much of the State, originating up near the panhandle and emptying into the gulf of Mexico SW of Houston. We crossed it twice.
20230304-8.jpeg

Brad said these are mustard flowers, they are quite pretty when they dominate a field.
20230304-9.jpeg

There were also some large areas of what my wife calls 'wine cups'. It seemed every time I saw a good shot of them were were pressing up an incline. I did not get any pictures. :sad:

I was very pleased with the beauty of the ride as well as our performance and will definitely return to ride here again. And here is the map.

68 miles, 14.2 mph moving average, 5h37 total time, a mere 1253' of climb
20230304-map.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom