Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

buzz22

Ɯber Member
20230305_172019.jpg

20230305_172025.jpg

I cheated a bit this afternoon, the bike I chose to ride had pegs rather than pedals.
My 1998 Suzuki Bandit 1200 got a ride after a lovely family lunch out and it was just what I needed to cap the day off.
107km at a much faster average than my legs could ever carry me šŸ˜

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I'm just back from a week in the Lake District with my brother and @gavgav. We had a dry week so the bikes got plenty of use this time.

Sunday (26th Feb): As Doug has only just recovered from an illness we started off with a shortish ride round Coniston Water. We took the path past Coniston Hall then climbed up to Torver, with a few stops along the way as I realised I'd forgotten odd things like my trouser clips while getting ready. Doug was slow but managed the climbing alright.

The descent from Torver to Sunny Bank is good fun and the road surface wasn't too bad (Cumbrian roads are in quite a poor state of repair we'd noticed). Continuing to Water Yeat there were a few other cyclists to say hi to and while some of the drivers could have been a bit more polite, there weren't any incidents worth noting. Gav's brakes had been making odd noises and although I'd readjusted them before the ride, they needed another small tweak after turning off the main road here.

As we made our way to High Nibthwaite I'd hoped that the hills would shelter us from the cold north easterley wind but that didn't seem to be the case. The road this side of the lake has great views as we worked our way along the undulating lane. It ramps up from Brantwood then there is another nice descent followed by a flat section into Coniston town. We headed down to the Bluebird Cafe for a drink where I managed to catch my foot on my pannier while dismounting and hit the deck like the proverbial sack of spuds.... with an audience of course.:blush:

15.3 miles at 10.6 mph average. A good start to our week.

20230226_131004_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Following the path along the lake shore on the way to Torver.

20230226_135953_Richtone(HDR).jpg

20230226_140030_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Near to Peel Island.

20230226_141715.jpg

Passing Brantwood.

20230226_142926_Richtone(HDR).jpg

View from the head of the lake, near Monk Coniston.

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Monday (27th Feb): Since Doug had coped alright with that first ride we aimed to do a longer ride to Elterwater and the Langdales. Setting out from Coniston we headed up Hawkshead Hill, which is quite a pull and the first big test of Doug's fitness. He managed it with a couple of stops to rest then we enjoyed the descent through Knipe Fold to Barngates. It was too early for a stop at The Drunken Duck so we just paused for photos and continued to Skelwith Fold. On the way a car followed but was going so slowly they didn't catch us up for ages. A tractor was cutting the hedges on the way to Skelwith Bridge and it was too narrow to pass so we, along with a couple of other cyclists had to be patient.

On the way to Elterwater I parted company with Doug and Gav and pressed on up the Great Langdale valley ahead of them. I was planning to ride the pass to Blea Tarn then descend through Little Langdale while they rode as far as Dungeon Ghyll and back, all meeting up agan back at the Britannia Inn. It was a good ride up the valley then I dropped into low range to wind my way up to Blea Tarn. This is signed as a 25% grade and I have no reason to doubt it. I may have pushed on a bit too hard up the valley as I did need a pause on the climb shortly before the top. Encouraging words from a couple walking at the top were good to hear.

The scenery up here is great then I enjoyed the ride through Little Langdale, which is quicker in this direction. I caught and overtook another rider shortly before Elterwater then found Gav at one of the outside tables with Doug inside getting a round of drinks - excellent timing! ^_^ We got tempted to have a couple of bowls of chips as well since it was lunchtime.

After our break we set off towards Little Langdale. It was somewhat slower going this time as there is plenty of steep climbing, then the signed route to Coniston took us onto gravel paths to High Tilberthwaite before rejoining tarmac and the spectacular descent to the main Coniston road. Doug was flagging a bit by now so the climbs were slow and steady. There is an off road path to avoid the traffic on the way to Coniston and we used this, which was good fun due to the rollercoaster undulations. Another visit was paid to the Bluebird Cafe, without me falling off this time.

26.6 miles at 9.7 mph average.

20230227_103805.jpg

At High Cross - Doug has made it to the top of Hawkshead Hill.

20230227_110309.jpg

Admiring the view of the Langdale Pikes from Skelwith Fold.

20230227_112044_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Overlooking Elterwater before heading up Great Langdale.

20230227_114144_Richtone(HDR).jpg

About to tackle the climb to Blea Tarn.

20230227_115219_Richtone(HDR).jpg

The view at the top of the climb.

20230227_115731_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Descending into Little Langdale.

20230227_131104_Richtone(HDR).jpg

After our pub stop and riding back up to Little Langdale.

20230227_131528.jpg

A bit of bike carrying needed to avoid this ford, which is about knee deep.

20230227_132522.jpg

On our way to High Tilberthwaite.

20230227_135500.jpg

A stop at the Bluebird Cafe to finish off.

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Tuesday (28th Feb): Gav had really hoped to do a couple of longer rides while the weather was good and, after the last couple of trips, Doug was happy to give it a go. We started off by climbing Hawkshead Hill again which Doug managed better this time, his only stop being at the junction two thirds of the way up (we go the longer but quieter way on the lane past Atkinson Ground). It seemed colder on the descent this time and I found myself wishing I'd brought another layer. We went straight on past the Drunken Duck and at the end of the road took to the off road path heading towards Wray Castle - another one that is up and down like a rollercoaster which us big kids enjoyed.

At the entrance to Wray Castle we joined the next path that drops down to the shore of Windermere and stays with it as far as the road for the ferry. Signs at the start suggested that there was tree felling work going on and that the path may be closed on the way to Strawberry Gardens. We decided to take the risk - the first part of the path was fine and there was nothing to warn of a closure at Red Nab so we carried on. The storm just over a year ago has brought down a lot of trees on this stretch and the clean up is still ongoing. We did meet a timber wagon being loaded up but waited until the operator waved us through.

The ferry is only open to pedestrians and cyclists at the time of writing but when we wandered down to be nosy there was a couple in a Mercedes patiently waiting to cross in spite of the closure sign directly in front of them.:blink: It did mean that we had the road almost completely to ourselves as we climbed up to the junction for Cunsey. A lunch stop was taken in a gateway with a view across the lake before we continued.

After Cunsey there is a climb that always seems particularly tough despite not being the biggest or steepest on the route. Doug did start to struggle here and needed a couple of stops before cresting the climb. He did enjoy the long gentle descent to Lakeside though. After a quick pause here (didn't want to be stopped too long in the cold wind) we retraced our steps a short way to head through Finsthwaite on our way to Bouth. It's a bit of a detour but avoids another surprisingly tough climb out of Newby Bridge. After another swift descent, Gav confided that he had suffered brake fade and it was a good thing the junction at the bottom was clear.:ohmy:

I had thought that this route would be a little over 30 miles but as we reached Spark Bridge it became clear that it was going to be more than that. We could take a shorter route back but it would involve a steep climb on a busy road so we discounted that and followed the road along the eastern shore of Coniston Water again. We were all flagging by the time we reached the climb after Brantwood and it was good to pick up a tailwind to help us along the flat bit. Another Bluebird Cafe stop, but this time we didn't stay very long as it felt quite cold sat out.

37.6 miles at 9.4 mph average. Fairly hard work but enjoyable and Doug did really well considering he hasn't really been out riding enough to prepare for rides this hilly.

20230228_102429.jpg

A bright start at the head of the lake, but it wasn't to last.

20230228_111247_Richtone(HDR).jpg

A glimpse of Wray Castle as we head along the path from Pull Woods.

20230228_113244_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Headed along the shore of Windermere at Red Nab.

20230228_114502.jpg

Lots of evidence of the continuing clean up following storm Arwen.

20230228_114658.jpg

This path isn't flat.

20230228_115909_Richtone(HDR).jpg
Looking south along Windermere from the road to the ferry.

20230228_121441.jpg

The view from our lunch stop.

20230228_130543.jpg

Tern docked at Lakeside.

20230228_134434.jpg

Some interesting machinery seen at Bouth.

20230228_141536_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Between Lowick Bridge and High Nibthwaite.

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Thursday (2nd March): After a rest on the Wednesday, Gav wanted to do something different. We loaded the bikes on the car and took them over to Keswick to ride the railway path then do a loop around Blencathra and Skiddaw.

For me things started off on the wrong foot when I realised that I'd left my phone behind. Drat, no photos for this one.:sad: The car journey went well and after the always nervewracking unloading we set off past the former railway station and along the path to Threlkeld. We last rode this route the year before the path was badly damaged by storm Desmond so we were pleased to see that not only does it have a nice new surface and replacements for the destroyed bridges but one of the tunnels has been reinstated, removing an incongruous section of boardwalk that bypassed it previously.

In this direction the path is a steady climb and there were lots of people walking and cycling so we weren't going quick but, despite that, this section seemed to be over far too quick. A mixture of lanes and cycle paths alongside the road took us through Threlkeld to Scales where we climbed up along gated lanes on the way to Mungrisdale. At one of the gates I managed to clonk my funny bone against the nose of my saddle - that smarted a bit and stayed numb and tingly for a while.

After Mungrisdale the riding along the lanes is lovely. The roads seem to flow quite well and the scenery is great, particularly the moorland around Mosedale. We climbed and descended to Hesket Newmarket and again to Caldbeck where we paused for lunch and found the road ahead unexpectedly closed. We did go and look to see if we'd be allowed to walk through the closure but it didn't look promising so we doubled back and took a different way round, although this did involve a big climb. A DPD delivery van came past us three times - I suspect the driver had been thrown off by the closure too.

Doug was going slow on the climbs and there was still plenty of that to do as we crossed Ellerbeck Common. Some good descents followed, interspersed with some sharp climbs on the way to Orthwaite then Bassenthwaite. To avoid the main road a bit we crossed over and followed the lane close to Bassenthwaite Lake. Doug needed to stop as an important phone call came in while we were here. When we got going again I was feeling the cold a bit from having been stopped and I'm sure Doug was too. We couldn't avoid the A591 any longer but fortunately it wasn't busy and is mostly downhill until we wanted to turn off it again. There was more climbing to do, which Doug was struggling with now, and another road closure which we were able to walk past this time. I remembered that I'd got a pack of jelly babies in my pannier which we all had a handful of and it did seem to help.

Even so, the last mile or so wasn't especially quick and we were glad to get back to the car where I clonked the funny bone a second time while putting the bikes back on the car.:rolleyes:

34.4 miles at 10.1 mph average on my speedometer. A good ride through some great scenery and nice towns.

Last edited:

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
The winter fitness drive continued today with a tour of the Peak, enlivening an otherwise somewhat bleak and unremittingly bone chilling cold day. Just the one photo, taking gloves off risking frostbite, so you have to trust me for the views!

First off up the Cat, an occasional snowflake in the air but never a problem. Shell donned at the summit, never to be taken off again!

Down towards Buxton then through Harpur Hill, a rather unprepossessing quarrying village, and over the top to Earl Sterndale, feat. stunning views of the fossilised reefs of Chrome Hill and Parkside.

Accidentally took the wrong turn out of the Earl, which committed me to climb the hairpins from Crowdecote, and then down the long descent through Lathkill Dale to Hartington.

Crossing the river Dove at Hulme End, then up to Sheen, where, miracle of miracles, a thin sun made a fleeting appearance:

20230305_112121.jpg

The road to Longnor is beautiful to ride, liberally garnished with exquisite views of the top end of Dovedale, but then you pay with an excruciating climb to Axe Edge. In my case doubly so, after missing a cut through and condemning myself to an extra couple of miles into the bitter North wind on the main road.

A most excellent and very, very substantial pasty was the reward at Flash Bar, but boy, was it hard to get started afterwards. Shivering with cold, it took the energy from a fight into the headwind back to the Cat before I could function properly.

After descending to Lamaload Reservoir I was feeling OK again, so took an extension up the challenge of Pym Chair, which actually felt alright; I've managed to lose a stone this year and it's made a big difference.

Then down the Brickworks and home to a much needed piping hot bath.

A mite under 70 miles, and a smidge below 2000m climbing.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Friday (3rd March): The final ride of our Lakes holiday. Gav and Doug wanted something shorter to finish off and a visit to Grizedale was suggested. Looking up my suggested route from previous visits the distance was more than everyone wanted to do so a more direct approach was called for, which meant climbing Hawkshead Hill for the third time this week.

We set out and it was clear that the week had caught up with Doug. He took it easy on the initial flat section and needed a couple of stops on the way up the climb but did make it. At High Cross, Gav was having trouble getting certain gears. I did some tinkering to try and sort it but I think it's probably dirt making the cable sticky so all I could do was adjust it to work as well as possible.

Entering the forest the climbing ramps up again. A group of runners was ahead of us but they soon disappeared as we struggled to get traction on the loose surface. I say "we" but it was just Gav and I - Doug managed to wind his way up the gravel path without a slip.

Reaching the more flowing forestry roads, the surface was pretty good and we could get up some speed. Doug might have been a bit slow on the hills but seemed to be really enjoying the riding and the scenery. A long fast descent thrilled all of us. At one junction we passed a group of mountain bikers who all did a double-take on seeing my bike.:laugh: at the foot of the descent we dropped in to the visitor centre for a pit stop before deciding to continue the signed trail rather than using the road to Moor Top. It was quite a pull to get going again and Gav got ahead quite easily. Doug wasn't giving up though and despite the chain coming off wasn't lagging behind too much.

I'd forgotten how the climb from Moor Top seems to go on and on, but eventually there is a nice sweeping descent to High Cross. We decided to use the main road to drop back to Coniston, which was great fun, only spoiled by a number of potholes that have to be avoided. It's not many years since this was fully resurfaced - why don't road surfaces last any more?

A final stop at the Bluebird Cafe had to be done and unlike last time Doug had a grin on his face when we arrived. We seemed to be sheltered from the wind again here and the hot drinks felt well earned.

18.6 miles at 8.6 mph average. With approx 112 feet of climbing per mile on this one I think that average is better than it sounds.

132.6 miles for the week. I think that is the most we've ever managed on a Lakes trip.

20230303_134409.jpg

The view from the top of the climb as we enter Grizedale Forest.

20230303_140003.jpg

20230303_140657_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Enjoying the forest roads.

20230303_140956.jpg

Looking towards Coniston and The Old Man. I can see our house from here.

20230303_144634.jpg

The chameleon circuit in the Tardis is on the blink again.

20230303_144643.jpg

Doug is going slow but he is still going.

20230303_145116.jpg

Roadside waterfall with another of the forest artworks. (Don't ask, I don't know what it represents).

20230303_151456.jpg

The view from the last climb before we drop back down to Coniston.

Last edited:
An excellent gravel ride today. Garmin thinks it was an Anaerobic work out (it just going on my Polar H10 though). After the pub at 48miles I decided to do some slow off road routes but given it was an uninspiring day I didn't go much further and headed home to catch the end of stage 1 of the Paris - Nice. My mate who came up with the excellent route got a bit inspired on the airfield šŸ‘

Screenshot_20230305-160612_Strava.jpg

Screenshot_20230305-151127_Strava.jpg

20230305_133248.jpg

20230305_133255.jpg

20230305_133232.jpg

20230305_133210.jpg

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
This afternoon saw a fairly impromptu and unremarkable trip to the supermarket. It was cold but OK since dressed appropriately, NW wind wasn't great but not as strong as it's been recently.

Had some nice interactions with other cyclists and pedestrians. Noticed I seem to be getting a bit more confident on the Fuji given the speed at which I'm happy to traverse some of the downhill gravel sections en-route.

About 18.4 miles I think; good to get out however I don't feel so hot for it now and wondering if I've overcooked it a bit after hitting the weights over the weekend (in my own limp way)..

EDIT: Forgot to mention how great some of the rides being published in this thread look - especially those of @Rickshaw Phil and his cohorts.. what a fantastic part of the country :becool:

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
A break needed from a frustrating diy task and the ebike on the Lidl Knaresborough run today.

Did not take too long to find the prat of the day and what a surprise an Audi driver ā€“ roared pass me when the chance finally arrived, plainly in excess of the speed limit, with a red traffic light ahead and even better the left turn arrow went green for me while the Audiā€™s right turn stayed red.

The one A frame barrier encountered oddly needed a quick rebalancing by the left foot on the floor. All dogs were either well behaved or well held by their owners and Waterside was quieter with pedestrians than normal for a winters Sunday afternoon.

Lidl came up trumps with ricecakes in stock and thankfully no mini drill in the centre isle ā€“ on the way back I realised where the electric one was at home.

After clambering up the cycleway alongside the A59 on the hill away from Knaresborough for once the carriageway was rejoined and the right turn into the delightfully named Bogs Lane undertaken non stop.

The cycleway along the Starbeck branch was clear of the muddy leaf pulp from Autumn if not horse droppings.

13.59 miles 892ft elevation. Some shots of Knaresborough;
Kboro 050321 1.jpg

Kboro 050321 2.jpg

Kboro 050321 3.jpg

Last edited:

gavgav

Guru
As @Rickshaw Phil has very eloquently reported, we headed up to Cumbria for our annual holiday with the bikes and mostly dry weather meant that we got 5 rides in and covered over 130 miles, with plenty of serious climbing to contend with.

I wonā€™t recall things to Philā€™s detail, but here are a few notes and photos from my perspective

Sunday 26th Feb (15.43 miles, 974ft of climbing, 10.1mph avg)
A short ride around Coniston lake, to warm the legs up for the week ahead. Always an enjoyable start, with some good descents to make up for the few sharp climbs. Gorgeous hot chocolate (with cream) at the Bluebird Cafe, which was to become a regular visit over the week.
305D9CCB-980D-4EB3-8EBD-B3CCB0EAA6F8.jpeg

8AD4945A-D757-4679-92A1-D8B6836511DB.jpeg

Monday 27th Feb (25.06 miles, 1973ft of climbing, 9.4mph avg)
We ramped things up a bit with a trip over to Elterwater. This meant the tough climb up Hawkshead Hill, which seems to get harder each year (age and weight increases probably donā€™t help šŸ˜†)

Doug and I let Phil head up the Langdales in front of us, so he could climb over to Blea Tarn and weā€™d do an up and down the valley, instead and meet him at the fabulous Britannia Inn for lunch. We enjoyed our leisurely trip up and down, punctuated by a few photo stops and a road blockage due to locals in the road (sheep šŸ˜) They seemed to be causing the cars bigger issues and we weaved through more easily.

Weā€™d been at the pub for around 5-10 minutes when Phil arrived and we enjoyed beer and chips. The climb up to Tilberthwaite is always a tough climb but really enjoyable and scenic, with a good descent to the main road.

More hot chocolate was consumed at the cafe.
6875F782-589B-4433-B9FA-F86BE53E9D6C.jpeg

4064EB4D-A236-4777-9707-306C5B227320.jpeg

Tuesday 28th Feb (37.77 miles, 2924 ft of climbing, 9.2mph avg)
The longest and toughest ride of the week, for me, which began with a climb up Hawkshead Hill again and then a fast exhilarating descent to the bottom. The tracks along to Wray Castle and Ferry Nab are good fun, with plenty of evidence of massive trees that came down in Storm Arwen, last year.

The climbing then really began, to Cunsey and High Cunsey, before the good descent to Lakeside. We then climbed through Finsthwaite and I suffered brake fade on a descent, which was a rather scary moment when overshooting the T Junction! I made the decision that new pads were required when we headed to Wheelbase for a mooch around on Wednesday.

I was starting to really feel the cold, from a much stronger North Easterly wind today, by the time we got to Spark Bridge and then struggled big time with energy levels along the Eastern side of the lake and I was glad to reach Atkinson Ground, to descend back to Coniston forā€¦ā€¦yes more hot chocolate.
00FFE74C-DD72-4E48-B44F-80AC1528EEF6.jpeg

8934A362-6A5A-44E9-B3AB-8B2E26FF9AF5.jpeg

Thursday 2nd March (34.49 miles, 2737ft of climbing, 9.9mph avg)
We repeated a ride that weā€™d last done in 2014, with a circular route from Keswick, onto the fells around Blencathra and Skiddaw. We were really impressed with the newly repaired old railway track route to Threlkeld. The climbing then really starts, to Mungrisdale, Mosedale and onto Caldbeck Common, where the scenery becomes epic and quite barren.

Lunch at Caldbeck was unfortunately marred by a plethora of irresponsible dog owners whoā€™d left mess all over the place šŸ¤¢

The descent to Bassenthwaite was good fun and when putting the bikes back on the car, we were treated to an impressive unofficial display by what we believe were US Air Force jets flying low overhead, 8 of them, very noisy and fast! The huge Atlas we then saw on the drive home was even more impressive, doing a low fly over Thirlmere and not too far over our heads!
CF4C864D-14D3-49AA-A609-23AD55939E1C.jpeg

3B11FE50-2EF6-47B8-8963-52CE0BBCF57D.jpeg

Friday 3rd March (18.7 miles, 2055ft of climbing, 8.5mph avg)
A shorter, but no less tough a ride, to finish the week, actually using my gravel bike on gravel, for a change, in Grizedale Forest. A final trip up Hawkshead hill for the week, lungs and legs were shouting at me! My newly replaced brake pads felt much more assured already, but the gears decided to play up and Phil did his best to sort them as best he could for me.

The initial climb up into the forest was tough, but then the exhilarating descent down to the visitor centre is well worth the effort.

The climb back up to Moor Top was a tough battle, but we all made it and then enjoyed the descent back down Hawkshead Hill, for a final hot chocolate of the week. Here is a picture of one to confirm the decadence šŸ™‚
AA71224B-8909-4232-8491-64A28C354B4B.jpeg

A97EFD9B-FAAB-43E6-A18F-DDC4296174C4.jpeg

A fabulously enjoyable week of cycling, with great friends, in my favourite part of the U.K. We didnā€™t see much sunshine at all, it was very cold, but with just light rain here and there, it meant we could certainly use the days in the best way possible, which is on a bike!

buzz22

Ɯber Member
Some hills again today- out to Woronora Dam today, 54km return.
The road into the dam cuts through some beautiful bushland and with temperatures around 34 degrees it was nice to have some scenery to take my mind off the slog.
You can see the water through the gumtrees:
20230307_111335.jpg

A quick rest break and time to appreciate the peace and quiet of the empty picnic grounds.
20230307_112758.jpg

20230307_112800.jpg

While pondering life I spotted this beautiful big fella, a 3ft long Goanna camouflaged well under a tree obviously hoping I'd brought something tasty with me:
20230307_112542.jpg

Time to head off and face the hills.
I must be getting stronger because despite the steep climb out I didn't drop down to the inner chainring- winning!
20230307_111727.jpg

My bike of choice was one of my Giant CFR's, it's very quickly cementing itself as a solid allrounder.
Despite the hills, the heat and a couple of breaks I managed to average over 21km/h, consistency is paying off.

Jameshow

Veteran
As @Rickshaw Phil has very eloquently reported, we headed up to Cumbria for our annual holiday with the bikes and mostly dry weather meant that we got 5 rides in and covered over 130 miles, with plenty of serious climbing to contend with.

I wonā€™t recall things to Philā€™s detail, but here are a few notes and photos from my perspective

Sunday 26th Feb (15.43 miles, 974ft of climbing, 10.1mph avg)
A short ride around Coniston lake, to warm the legs up for the week ahead. Always an enjoyable start, with some good descents to make up for the few sharp climbs. Gorgeous hot chocolate (with cream) at the Bluebird Cafe, which was to become a regular visit over the week.
View attachment 680492

View attachment 680493

Monday 27th Feb (25.06 miles, 1973ft of climbing, 9.4mph avg)
We ramped things up a bit with a trip over to Elterwater. This meant the tough climb up Hawkshead Hill, which seems to get harder each year (age and weight increases probably donā€™t help šŸ˜†)

Doug and I let Phil head up the Langdales in front of us, so he could climb over to Blea Tarn and weā€™d do an up and down the valley, instead and meet him at the fabulous Britannia Inn for lunch. We enjoyed our leisurely trip up and down, punctuated by a few photo stops and a road blockage due to locals in the road (sheep šŸ˜) They seemed to be causing the cars bigger issues and we weaved through more easily.

Weā€™d been at the pub for around 5-10 minutes when Phil arrived and we enjoyed beer and chips. The climb up to Tilberthwaite is always a tough climb but really enjoyable and scenic, with a good descent to the main road.

More hot chocolate was consumed at the cafe.
View attachment 680498

View attachment 680499

Tuesday 28th Feb (37.77 miles, 2924 ft of climbing, 9.2mph avg)
The longest and toughest ride of the week, for me, which began with a climb up Hawkshead Hill again and then a fast exhilarating descent to the bottom. The tracks along to Wray Castle and Ferry Nab are good fun, with plenty of evidence of massive trees that came down in Storm Arwen, last year.

The climbing then really began, to Cunsey and High Cunsey, before the good descent to Lakeside. We then climbed through Finsthwaite and I suffered brake fade on a descent, which was a rather scary moment when overshooting the T Junction! I made the decision that new pads were required when we headed to Wheelbase for a mooch around on Wednesday.

I was starting to really feel the cold, from a much stronger North Easterly wind today, by the time we got to Spark Bridge and then struggled big time with energy levels along the Eastern side of the lake and I was glad to reach Atkinson Ground, to descend back to Coniston forā€¦ā€¦yes more hot chocolate.
View attachment 680500

View attachment 680501

Thursday 2nd March (34.49 miles, 2737ft of climbing, 9.9mph avg)
We repeated a ride that weā€™d last done in 2014, with a circular route from Keswick, onto the fells around Blencathra and Skiddaw. We were really impressed with the newly repaired old railway track route to Threlkeld. The climbing then really starts, to Mungrisdale, Mosedale and onto Caldbeck Common, where the scenery becomes epic and quite barren.

Lunch at Caldbeck was unfortunately marred by a plethora of irresponsible dog owners whoā€™d left mess all over the place šŸ¤¢

The descent to Bassenthwaite was good fun and when putting the bikes back on the car, we were treated to an impressive unofficial display by what we believe were US Air Force jets flying low overhead, 8 of them, very noisy and fast! The huge Atlas we then saw on the drive home was even more impressive, doing a low fly over Thirlmere and not too far over our heads!
View attachment 680512

View attachment 680513

Friday 3rd March (18.7 miles, 2055ft of climbing, 8.5mph avg)
A shorter, but no less tough a ride, to finish the week, actually using my gravel bike on gravel, for a change, in Grizedale Forest. A final trip up Hawkshead hill for the week, lungs and legs were shouting at me! My newly replaced brake pads felt much more assured already, but the gears decided to play up and Phil did his best to sort them as best he could for me.

The initial climb up into the forest was tough, but then the exhilarating descent down to the visitor centre is well worth the effort.

The climb back up to Moor Top was a tough battle, but we all made it and then enjoyed the descent back down Hawkshead Hill, for a final hot chocolate of the week. Here is a picture of one to confirm the decadence šŸ™‚
View attachment 680515

View attachment 680516

A fabulously enjoyable week of cycling, with great friends, in my favourite part of the U.K. We didnā€™t see much sunshine at all, it was very cold, but with just light rain here and there, it meant we could certainly use the days in the best way possible, which is on a bike!

The dilemma between beer and chocolate!!

gavgav

Guru
My first ride since returning from the Lakes. I was going to leave it longer to rest the legs, but with the forecast for the rest of the week looking decidedly Arctic, I risked it after work instead.

There was lovely sunshine, but it was very cold out, as I headed through Bayston Hill and up Lyth Hill, then descended to Exfords Green.

The legs felt ok at this stage, but didnā€™t have a lot in them on the climbs. I continued through Stapleton, then waited an age to cross the A49, before heading to Ryton, where I encountered a BMW driver who clearly thought he was somewhere in Europe, being entirely on my side of the road and almost wiping me out when he had plenty of time to move back in. Prat.

The lane to Longnor was traffic free, but not obstacle free, as I thought Iā€™d arrived back in Cumbria, when I met 8 sheep in the road near a farm! They scarpered into the farmyard when they saw me, but Iā€™m sure they should have been in the opposite field. Not as hard as those Cumbrian sheep who have no intention of moving out of the way šŸ˜

I turned North and joined the very busy C road to Frodesley and Acton Burnell, the downside of rush hour I guess, but it seemed worse than normal on what isnā€™t a particularly wide road in places. Some hoon with a ā€œflat out like a badger on a bypassā€ sticker across his rear window felt better having shouted ā€œwheeeeā€ at me as he passed from the open front windowā€¦whatever, Iā€™d be more bothered about your exhaust that was hanging off if I was you and a car that sounds like a tractor šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

Things quietened down to Pitchford, where after climbing towards the hall, I could see the gritter coming and so I dived into the driveway to avoid getting a shower.

The road got busy again to Cantlop and Betton Abbots, then I had BMW no 2 idiot of the ride, who engaged in MGIF mode by the T junction to the A458, swerving across me as I was by his back wheel. 132 miles done in Cumbria and not 1 incident of driving that I felt was bad enough to warrant any annoyance, but 21 in Shropshire and I get 3 šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

The final 6 or 7 miles had been unpleasantly cold, with the windchill leading to a pretty numb face and my legs had been giving me gip since Longnor as well, to the point that I started to cramp up.

They clearly need a good rest after last week.

Didnā€™t really enjoy that to be honest, but winter miles make summer smiles and so I guess at least I got out.

Top Bottom