Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
At the risk of becoming a bit of a bore myself, here's a bit more bore chasing for you. I headed down to Epney again and stood waiting in the beer garden of the Anchor Inn, checking my watch, then checking it again.
50..JPG

Then finally, twenty minutes late, there came the Severn Bore. Running late, but possibly a better wave than yesterday, perhaps because of the Northerly wind. There were a few more surfers and kayakers today, too.
51..JPG

54..JPG

55..JPG

57..JPG
I stayed a while to watch the tide racing in, then hopped on the bike to chase it up to Elmore Back for another viewing. I had planned to leave approximately half an hour to cover the six miles or so, but I left about five minutes late and had a Northerly wind to contend with and encountered a couple of horses in the road. By the time I got to a spot opposite Minsterworth Church it was touch and go. I pushed my bike across a field an propped it against a gate by the river dike. I was just about to climb the fence when I heard the signature roaring/whooshing sound of the tide and I had to reach for my camera and make do with a poor quality shot through the trees.
59..JPG

58. Nearly missed it at Elmore Back.JPG

Mental note. Sprint next time. At least I saw the bore, unlike the other cyclist who turned up a minute later after making the same ride from Epney. I relaxed on my way back up out of the fens, and paused for another photo. This is often quite a good spot for bird spotting, with the occasional egrets and herons working the drainage ditches. Nothing doing today though.
60..JPG

About a mile from home, my route took me past yesterday's bore viewing point at Stonebench. The bore had passed a few minutes earlier, but the river was surging upstream impressively, and a high spirited group of surfers had just extricated themselves from the muddy banks and were decanting into a group of day vans parked just up the road. I had always wondered where they get out.
61..JPG

Just the 15.6 miles today, but another memorable bit of bore chasing.

Last edited:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Some more crackers folks - all I can manage today is another exercise in mediocrity..

After a horrible day yesterday I'd kind of promised myself a proper ride today to try and sort my head out.. Happens that didn't transpire thanks to the outside's greyness and the noteworthy chill of the north-easterly making it feel a lot less than the slated 8 degrees.

I resolved to at least get some eggs as I was down to my last one, so off to the farm I went atop the Fuji. Even in cotton combats, t-shirt, decent fleece, synthetic hat and gloves it still felt cold. To my surprise I found four boxes of eggs, so bought two and headed home.

By the time I was back in the village (all of 3 miles after departing) I'd just about warmed up, so did a little lap of this grotty entitled-boomer enclave just for the sake of it. This spurred me on a bit more so I headed out north and down a little bridleway for a shortish loop through a couple of neighbouring villages.

I suffered the usual raft of close-passes, but also had a few nice interactions with folk too. I said hello to the very friendly lady farmer who usually keeps me in eggs and last time I visited showed me a couple of freshly-born goats she'd been dealing with.. There was also the driver who was very keen to thank me for pulling over briefly to let him pass from behind on a single-track gated road, and finally a woman out walking her dog who was astounded that I'd made it up a fairly steep section of bridleway (that I think tops out at around 13% - very manageable thanks to the Fuji's low gearing and recent re-surfacing which means you can get out of the saddle to put the power down without losing traction at the back).

I'm the first to admit that I'm hypersensitive, but little positive interactions like this make such a difference to my mood and hopefully that of those I share them with too. It's nice to be nice and I do my best in this regard, as long as folk are deserving. I find it interesting to be mindful of my attitude to people when I'm out on the bike; which over the course of a ride often turns from not wanting to speak to anyone to being very friendly and chatty.. thanks to the fleeting periods absent of self-loathing the bike affords.

A little under 13 miles and 500ft at 12.3mph and 144bpm. Quite high on the heart rate; probably due to a combination of the stiff breeze and last night's alcohol consumption.

Feel a bit "meh" now I'm back tbh, although I have to feel better than I would have done had I spent the last hour sat inside instead.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Another ride with my brother today. We set out to do something slightly longer and with there being a chilly wind from the north the regular route into town then out to Upton Magna and back through Atcham & Cross Houses seemed best.

We had to ride into the wind to start and it did seem to get through the layers pretty well. We did warm up after about a mile or so of riding along the cycle paths on our way to drop down to the riverside at Porthill. There were lots of people walking and cycling in The Quarry which was nice to see, although it did make for quite slow progress through the park and on towards the weir. My gears were playing up a bit so I needed to stop for a couple of adjustments - the derailleur seems to have suffered with the salted roads over the winter so adjustment wasn't easy.

The old canal path was next and after passing a handful of people near the start of it we had the path to ourselves the rest of the way to Uffington where we picked up the first bit of a tailwind for this trip which made the climb to Downton feel fairly easy this time. At Upton we had another pause - Doug was feeling too warm now with the layers he had on and I needed to tweak the gears again - this time they worked fine for the rest of the ride.

We had a good run to Atcham, only marred by a close pass from a car that didn't seem to be heeding the 40 mph speed limit. The wind assisted riding continued to Cross Houses and Doug swept up the short but sharp climb at Cronkhill (Strava shows a new personal record for this climb).

By Berrington, Doug was feeling the effort and slowing down a bit. We took the shortcut past Allfield and decided to climb over Lyth Hill to avoid the worst of the headwind on a relativey busy A49.

20.6 miles at 11.2 mph average according to my speedometer. The sunshine was nice but the cold wind was a reminder that it's not Spring yet.

20230223_123021.jpg

A view of St. Chads as we arrive in The Quarry.

20230223_123034.jpg

A quick snap of Doug at the same spot.

20230223_132435_Richtone(HDR).jpg

On the old bridge at Atcham.

20230223_132535_Richtone(HDR).jpg

View from the bridge. Since the flooding last month we've had hardly any rain and the river has dropped back to the level it would usually be in the summer.

20230223_141113.jpg

At the top of the last climb of the day.

Last edited:

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
Hull to Hornsea down the old railway line today and one of my favourite winter rides, excuse to get wet and muddy awakens the child in me.
Mandatory rain, sleet, wind and Karen dog walker on the way there could not deter us from the promise of a breakfast and a catch up.

The ride back was quicker with a tailwind and a bit of sun opening up the trail to lots of pleasant families, walkers and other cyclists - some on road bikes which is brave down that trod. Back before the girlfriend from her MOT and service then dragged to Asda, 25% off wine but horrid on a weekend in there. Currently typing this up in the bath, glad I took the pannier as I bought a couple of blondies which will go down well with a cuppa shortly.
Bike held up well after yesterday's fettle and will back in use for commuting duties soon.

20230225_094219.jpg

20230225_095908.jpg

20230225_102314.jpg

20230225_102357.jpg

20230225_103837.jpg

20230225_122626.jpg

theloafer

Legendary Member
Hull to Hornsea down the old railway line today and one of my favourite winter rides, excuse to get wet and muddy awakens the child in me.
Mandatory rain, sleet, wind and Karen dog walker on the way there could not deter us from the promise of a breakfast and a catch up.

The ride back was quicker with a tailwind and a bit of sun opening up the trail to lots of pleasant families, walkers and other cyclists - some on road bikes which is brave down that trod. Back before the girlfriend from her MOT and service then dragged to Asda, 25% off wine but horrid on a weekend in there. Currently typing this up in the bath, glad I took the pannier as I bought a couple of blondies which will go down well with a cuppa shortly.
Bike held up well after yesterday's fettle and will back in use for commuting duties soon.

View attachment 679363

View attachment 679364

View attachment 679365

View attachment 679366

View attachment 679367

View attachment 679368

nice. it reminds me of my first cyclechat group ride ... was Hull to Hornsea way back in Saturday 6 September 2008 ^_^
IMG_2103.JPG

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
For the first time this year I rode to the start of the Wheelers' Saturday Social (I've been meeting them partway through the winter). 12 turned up so we split into two groups. Strict(ish) group-riding, 2-abreast, rotating off the front - except on hills where it's regroup at the top. After a brief stop in the cafe at the finish, I girded my lions loins and returned home a slightly longer route. The weather was not warm, but not wet.
socialplus.JPG

geocycle

Legendary Member
Dilemma; free Saturday and family duties looming on Sunday required a ride today, but temperatures below 5 degrees and a northerly wind threatening every facial follicle. Solution was provided by a train north to Penrith and a linear ride home taking advantage of a tail wind or at least avoiding a head on encounter. Headed of town past Braugham (Broom) Castle then through the milk-manicured landscapes of the Upper Eden valley. Climbed onto the limestone plateau of Great Asby and crossing the watershed before hurtling down to Lonsdale and a cafe stop at Orton. From there it was largely a case of following the Lune through first Tebay and then the lovely curtain road cutting through the Lune Gorge. The constriction provided by glacial debris on a day probably not much colder than today, maybe. Continued southward parallel to the railway, river and motorway before crossing the valley and heading to Kirby Lonsdale for lunch 2. A great ride appreciated more from this armchair. 95 km with 1400m of climbing.

pictures of Braugham Castle, views from Great Asby and the Lune valley.

DF7884B7-16D4-46EA-BB94-986518058A3C.jpeg

C9D850F9-8735-4738-88FE-1EF8402B223D.jpeg

5BB112DA-BFF8-4CAF-9D2F-0E300B48241B.jpeg

3139E43B-1FF7-42AE-95A9-8C89DF29E04B.jpeg

Last edited:
A slight variation on my gravel ride today. Someone mentioned we should make a trip to Holly Lodge yesterday. My Instagram has been full of the cafe's cakes since I was last there. Last night was no exception 😋
Screenshot_20230226-161945_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20230226-132232_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20230225-220553_Instagram.jpg

I was so glad we decided to go there today when I met everyone in Elton. The route roughly took us down to Warmington, Glatton, Sawtry, Wood Walton, Coppingford and Holly Lodge. Then back via Coppingford, Bullock Road (The Roman Road, off road), Lutton, Tansor, Fotheringhay. I left folk at the Elton/ Nassington junction and came back to Peterborough by Elton, the gated road to the A1 and the Bridleway to Oundle Road. I was going to do more off road but I bumped into another mate on a road bike so I had a good chat with him instead.

20230226_104246.jpg

IMG-20230226-WA0001.jpg

20230226_121650.jpg

20230226_121702.jpg

Screenshot_20230226-155727_Strava.jpg

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Today I made it back into the fold for my first club ride of the year, and only my second since 2021. A chilly 2 degrees out there but it was great to meet up with some old friends I'd not ridden with for ages. My concerns that I might not be able to keep up with the pace were unfounded, as I made it all the way to our cafe stop at Berkeley:
62. Back on a club ride..JPG
.... and half the way back again without ever falling behind. When we reached the crossroads in Frocester, I decided to take a flatter route home at my own speed so as not to overdo it. 44.7 miles today, so I entered that ride in the Metric Half Century a Month Challenge for good measure. It was also my biggest ride since covid ... or since December 2021 for that matter. I am on my way back. I'll have to start getting some hills in soon, as I've got a trip to the Dales coming up in the Spring. What few inclines we did encounter today left me breathing heavily and sounding like Darth Vader, so some improvement is still required.

Top Bottom