Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

a.twiddler

Veteran
28/7/23
Oulton Park and Library

Today I set off for a casual ride on the Spirit recumbent to take in the Library on the way back. Usual gear, dark trousers, scruffy shoes, T shirt and gilet. Dark cap, track mitts and shades to top it off.

Since my last ride I’ve checked over the rear mudguard, tightened up the front mounting bolt (which entailed getting the rear wheel out to get at it) and cable tied a bit of rubber to the top of the side stand to stop it vibrating after every bump.

Out through the back gate, left down the hill and get into the rhythm. It feels warm with occasional gusts of wind. The sun is out for short spells then grey cloud appears. I come to the dip for Darnhall bridge. I stop further up the hill from the lights. A car comes the other way, and the lights stay red. I wait for a car to come down the hill behind me. The lights stubbornly stay red. Eventually a car comes and stops at the red lights. A couple of minutes pass before they turn green and I charge down the hill to get most of the way up the other side before having to change down. The slope is gentler on the other side and I keep going at a reasonable speed.

There are plenty of cyclists about and most of them raise a hand or say “Hi”. I keep rolling at a steady pace until I turn right on to Hickhurst lane. The wind is a bit more steadily in my face here but I keep rolling regardless. More cheery cyclists pass in the opposite direction. A vintage tractor comes up behind me and waits for a good space to overtake then once he is ahead gives a hand signal to turn right into King’s Lane. I follow him here but he is soon gone. I plod on. King’s Lane always feels like hard work in this direction. It’s much easier going the other way. I come to a dip and zoom down it to make the other side easier. I come to where the ancient red brick wall surrounding Oulton park begins, and stop to take a photo.
P1020826.JPG

Behind me where the wall turns left away from the road is a farm called Wall's End Farm.
I get going again and the road steepens then turns sharp left. Once over a mini summit I ease off and enjoy a bit of a freewheel, which is when a middle aged man on a mountain bike goes past with the comment “you all right?” I reply “I’m fine!” and get pedalling after him as it’s flat then downhill after we both turn right at a junction at Rushton. I’m looking forward to whizzing past him on the long downhill as it curves round the wall which delineates Oulton Park but disappointingly he turns off down Brownhills Road to the left while I carry on along Rushton Lane. Last time I came this way I didn’t notice that the jagged glass which used to be set into the top of the wall was missing but this time it had definitely gone. How will the owners keep the peasantry out now instead of making them pay at the entrance?

Near the bottom of the dip as I fly past I can see fresh brickwork being done. Speed drops as I go up the other side then turn right at a T junction. There is a steady climb as I go past the entrance to Oulton Park. I’d been tempted to stop and take a photo of one of the elegant arched entrances to the park but am discouraged by the volume of traffic. I press on and turn left into Park Lane.

A slightly winding lane with passing places, some sand and a big dip in the middle. Several cars turn after me and I’m tempted to pull in and let them pass, but see a distant car pull in ahead so carry on, with the downhill ahead steepening. I get into top and sweep downwards between high hedgebanks before having a go at the climb out of the dip. I keep going pretty well until I have to clunk down through the gears near the top, and am passed by following cars. The road undulates slightly and I get into a high gear and windmill gently along while I get my breath back. It goes a lot better than you'd expect from a bike with such tiny wheels.

Soon I am approaching the crossroads with the A54. My original intention had been to continue across to Clay Lane to the summit at Whitegate station bridge then on to the Whitegate road down the Test Hill of Doom, hoping to add a few more mph to the previous max on this bike, then back to Meadowbank and the lower end of the Whitegate Way. Time is galloping by as it usually does, so despite the hectic traffic, I turn right instead on to the A54. I hope to make the most of the downhill trend to keep my speed up a bit, and soon am whirling away in top. Perhaps I am depending too much on the recumbent force field effect, but whatever the reason, everything that goes past gives me masses of room, and waits patiently beforehand. I notice some passengers gawking as they go by, but there are no negative responses. The road eventually levels out but is straight, and I can see my turn off roundabout long before I get to it. I turn left off the main drag on to Delamere St., climb a short hill and level off, gaining speed again. I would use that part of the A54 again if I had to, but despite the wide passes, the busy traffic wasn’t particularly pleasant.

I continue to roll, enjoying the relative lack of traffic. Eventually I arrive at another roundabout and turn left to rejoin the A54. Still busy with traffic but it’s a fairly steep downhill and I get up speed quickly.

I see that the lanes ahead are backed up with traffic from the lights so instead of a leisurely transfer to cross three lanes one at a time I have to stick my arm out very assertively and cross ahead of the traffic all in one go to get into the right hand filter lane. I stop behind a queue of traffic at the lights.

Because the town centre is boarded up for refurbishment I consider my next move. There are no easy cycle routes to the library without going right round the town centre by road so I decide to take a sharp left after the lights up a lowered kerb to the pavement. I manage this without annoying any of the traffic and find the wide pavement completely empty of pedestrians. I trundle along to the turn off for the library and admire my reflection in the plate glass doors as I come to a halt at the bike stand. From this angle the bike looks photogenic in a swept back sort of way.

I lock the bike up, sling the Garmin in my pocket, and go inside.

Some time later I reappear, stash the books in my bag, unlock and nip through some bollards onto a service road. This leads to the corner of the precinct where there are direction signs due to some of the areas being boarded off. I take a short cut through to the road. I pass a group of kids sitting on a window ledge outside a bank, their bikes scattered on the ground. One minute they’re laughing and chattering, the next, silence just after I sweep past. As I disappear from sight, the noise redoubles.

Yet another recumbent effect, it seems.

Out on to the road, along Dingle Lane and across a roundabout. Once past the roundabout I hear a whirring behind me and a ninja cyclist all in black with his face masked up on an obviously illegal fat tyred e bike flies past me, not pedalling.

I float over some speed humps then across the pavement on the way to Gladstone St. Through an estate, then turn right up the hill. Gladstone St., Townfields Rd., and on to the level at the Swanlow Lane lights. Sharp left downhill, through the uphill turn off, then some freewheeling through the lanes to my back gate. Through the gate, feeling rather hot, then cooling off in front of the fan with a cold drink.

After this ride I was satisfied that I’d sorted out the rear mudguard vibration and any rubbing from the tyre. The side stand was also much improved, being silent when going over bumps instead of producing a ptdudududderururr sound as it twanged against its stop. Any strange noises are more noticeable than they might otherwise be compared to the Linear which most of the time is virtually silent.

Must take more pictures next time. Got a bit carried away by my press on-itis this time, making quite good progress though a bit pressed for time for getting back.

I’m now more motivated to stretch out the miles on forthcoming trips to see how the Spirit copes with them.

Distance 12.53 miles. Max 25.3. Average 8.1 (including walking round the Library -forgot to switch Garmin off). Total ascent 352 ft, according to Bikehike.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
A smidge over 15 miles on the MTB this morning before the rain, nothing of note to mention, it was a quiet almost exclusively traffic free route, though in the last half mile I came the closest I’ve ever been to a serious traffic accident, the driver apologised, said I didn’t see you, I said you weren’t even looking, and they said ‘I know, I’m sorry’ ! Gawd help us!
IMG_3709.jpeg

IMG_3710.jpeg

IMG_3711.jpeg

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Today’s ride started at my in laws in Holbeton.

Down to the green gate, then along Flete drive to the A379. Over Sequers bridge then into the lanes. Along a lane I’d never ridden before I saw a sign
IMG_5090.jpeg

That’ll do for me. It was lovely. Old hazel trees, a ford and then a greasy, rocky 14% climb over slithery rocks to the rear of Modbury church.

IMG_5092.jpeg

IMG_5093.jpeg

IMG_5095.jpeg

IMG_5094.jpeg

IMG_5097.jpeg

Then I followed the road to California Cross. In the murky weather I couldn’t see Dartmoor.

Then it was down the ridge road and back through Flete, where I met my old friends
IMG_5107.jpeg

IMG_5113.jpeg

IMG_5121.jpeg

IMG_5118.jpeg

18.5 miles. Somehow it didn’t rain!

https://www.strava.com/activities/9550694867

Dave 123

Legendary Member
My now regular Monday evening route around the Warren.

It was more like the end of October than the end of July.

I even had a jacket on, though I was slightly boil in the bag.

No rain, but dull and overcast until the final 2 miles when blue sky appeared for the first time in….. feels like years.

A pair of kestrel and a smattering of sheep kept me company.

I extended the ride to Battisborough so to avoid going up Bridgend bloody hill!

15 miles, some of it muddy.

https://www.strava.com/activities/9557844422

IMG_5131.jpeg

IMG_5132.jpeg

IMG_5134.jpeg

IMG_5135.jpeg

IMG_5136.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5133.jpeg
    IMG_5133.jpeg
    115.8 KB · Views: 1

Jameshow

Veteran
Stupid ride of the year, 20 miles up a dead end and return! Started riding towards Keighley but missed turn up to harden, cullingworth and Haworth. Didn't want to cycle up through Keighley (odd mentality as I did plan cycling back down through it!) So turned left at riddlesden up on Ikley moor to Keighley gate and back via east Morton. A ride with no objective at all!!

Screenshot_20230731-205627.png

geocycle

Legendary Member
Continuing the theme of not letting the rubbish weekend weather stop play, I got out today on the first decent day for over a week. Headed out through the AONB to Grange-over-sands following stretches of the Bay Cycle Way. I had thought about going from there and up Coniston to get the train back from Windermere but several delays put paid to that plan. Probably the most significant and irritating was that the road into Grange near the golf club was flooded (in August!) so I had to retrace my steps to join the busy road via Lindale. The cafes in Grange looked busy so continued out through Cark and on to Holker Hall, owned by the Cavendish family. It has an impressive garden but today was about its equally impressive cafe. I realised that making the train could be tight so I headed homeward on two wheels, with a brief stop in lovely Cartmel. Overall a longish 122 km but flattish ride climbing just 1010m.

pictures are of some of the lanes chosen by cycle.travel, the flooded road near Grange, Cartmel Priory and looking back across the estuary at Sandside.

IMG_0161.jpeg

IMG_0162.jpeg

IMG_0163.jpeg

IMG_0166.jpeg

C R

Guru
Today I wanted to try something different, so planned a ride up to Bredon Hill with my 90s rigid MTB.

Set off via Pirton and Kinnersley, heading towards Eckington to cross the Avon, but avoiding the main roads that can get a bit busy. Hardly any traffic in the lanes, but once I joined the Pershore road at Earls Croome it was a different story. I turned off at Baughton, to loop around Strensham and back to the Pershore road for a short while through Defford.

As I turned towards Eckington there was a sign saying the bridge was closed. Luckily being on this bike I could reroute through Birlingham, and cross the river at the lock at Nafford. I always thought the path to the lock was public, but today the gates were locked and had to lift the bike over. I need to check the rights of way map with the council.

Once over the river I went back down to Eckington, then Bredon, and round Kinsham to Kemerton, as there was also a road closure in here. After Kemerton rode to Conderton and then a left to start the climb. I went up using the Overbury Estate road, which is tarmaced, so the ascent is slightly easier. I needed a couple of stops, but eventually I made it to the end o the tarmaced road. Luckily, which the tarmac finishes the slope flattens out, and the last bit to the top is bumpy, but not too strenuous, and soon had the telephone tower in sight.

IMG-20230803-WA0002.jpeg

The views over the Severn Valley are great from here

IMG-20230803-WA0004.jpeg

It was bright, but very windy, and even though it wasn't cold, it wasn't particularly warm either, so started making my way towards Elmley Castle, with the Vale Of Evesham now ahead of me

20230803_100055.jpg

And sheep both on the ground and above

20230803_100229.jpg

The descent now is through paths, either grassy, muddy or stony, so I ended up walking more than riding. I'm not one for technical mtb descents, and without suspension some of the sections are just too difficult.

I made it to the bottom in one piece, and then it was just a matter of following the usual route down to Pershore and then Home.

My garmin run out of battery during the descent, but looking at the map I ended with about 45 miles in about four and a half hours.

Nice to do something different to my usual road riding.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Steady 25 mile loop today outside to test the knee .
Didnt want to put to much power through the pedals so i just set a steady pace along the back lanes around Rosliston and Catton Hall.Coming up an incline i caught a pothole that caused the back wheel to make the back brake move , i thought i had a flat at first !
Anyroad just over 18 avg with 1000 feet of climbing , knee a bit tender and swollen where the holes are but it coped fairly well .

geocycle

Legendary Member
Second day running of ‘weather leave‘ today and managed to take advantage of another dry day. The plan was to head to Penrith on the train and pedal home. TPE did their best to scupper things by cancelling the train I was booked on but fortunately the lovely ticket office staff managed to squeeze me on the next train. I was lucky as lots of cyclists were heading to Glasgow for the world championships. The shower I encountered as we passed through Shap followed me to Penrith but it had just about dissipated by the time I had got my self sorted. Out to the NW toward Greystoke and Penruddock with nice views to Blencathra, over the A66 and through the short steep hills to Dockray and a coffee at Aira Force. The road then hugs the shore of Ullswater through Patterdale then kicks up passed Brothers Water before the challenge of Kirkstone Pass. I was greeted at the top by an ice cream van which helped compensate for the energy I’d just expended. Then downhill to Troutbeck and cross country to Staveley for another cafe stop before heading home through the Lyth valley and the Arnside and Silverdale AONB. 107 km and 1540 m of climbing.

pictures are of hills heading to Ullswater, Ullswater itself and view from top of Kirkstone looking toward the Struggle.

IMG_0170.jpeg

IMG_0173.jpeg

IMG_0174.jpeg

IMG_0176.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom