Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C R

Guru
A Three Counties Ride

Living in South Worcestershire I a within cycling distance of Herefordshire, Gloucestershire and Warwickshire, and many of my rides include one of those counties.

Today the plan was to include two (Gloucestershire and Warwickshire) for a Three Counties Ride counting Worcestershire. It would be nice to include all four, but the distance between Herefordshire and Warwickshire puts it beyond my capabilities.

Set off via my usual route along the lanes to Croome, and then on to Pershore to take the main road to Evesham. I nearly went out with just short sleeves, but decided to wear a jacket, and glad I did, it felt more like October than August.

Once I got to Evesham I went towards Offenham to avoid the A46 roundabout, and then turned towards Bretforton, heading to Weston under Edge, crossing into Gloucestershire along the way.

20230806_074831.jpg

Just before Weston I turned towards Honeybourne, and back into Worcestershire, though there doesn't seem to be a sign along this road. Past Honeybourne, heading to Bidford on Avon, entering Warwickshire just a couple of miles before the town
20230806_081410.jpg

At Bidford I stopped by the bridge for a rest and a snack, and to admire the sights.
20230806_082124.jpg

The moon was still out over the trees
20230806_082224.jpg

Now is time to turn towards home, climbing out of the Avon Valley through Dunnington, and head towards Cookhill via Weethley. I return to Worcestershire just before the turn for Inkberrow.
20230806_085728.jpg

This road is a long descent towards Worcester, and usually an easy ride, but today there was quite a stiff headwind, and with the road being quite exposed, it was rather harder work than I had hoped. I changed the route plan to use the lanes, which are less exposed, so turned left towards Pinvin at Upton Snodsbury, and then through the Walcot Ln Ford to Drakes Broughton followed by Stoulton, Littleworth and Home.

Bright sunshine at times, but rather cool and the headwind made the ride significantly harder than expected.

The map
Screenshot_20230806-132050_Connect.jpg

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Forecast was for a sunny morning but storms in the afternoon. I recently realised there's one of the 100 climbs in the Peak, Curbar Edge, I've not done 😱 so the plan was to get up it ASAP and home before the weather hit.

The sunny morning, alas, never materialised with the Cat and Fiddle a rather cold 7 degrees and lots of low cloud around. No matter, the Peak is always gorgeous, here the view from Earl Sterndale.

1000004718.jpg

Onwards through Monyash, Ashford in the Water, and Calver for the day's objective, which is a lovely ascent, the views of the edge opening up after a hairpin bend and the heather coming into bloom.

1000004719.jpg

A long stretch of high main roads on the moors followed, though not unpleasant, and a great descent with views to Hathersage.

1000004720.jpg

I picked up a roadie in Hathersage who wanted to time trial to Edale, so we bombed up into the headwind, rather unwisely for me as the climb of Mam Nick followed, which is a fantastic scenic hill, but not trivial!

Luck was with me and I then picked up another partner to battle the headwind on Rushup Edge together, then the rapid descent to Chapel, over the Brickworks from Whaley and home.

Managed 81 miles and 2,200m climbing at 14.7mph, all completed without a stop or even a snack before lunch - which included a generous slice of this in recompense:

1000004710.jpg

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
1st long ride since my operation.
Due to the weather Saturday`s ride were cancelled so we had a good sized group on sunday with a real mixed bag of abilities so it was slower than what im used to but perfect for me to get the miles in without hammering the joints .
The cafe was the motorbike place at Castle Donnington that was busy with lots of people with bikes with engines , the cheats ;) .i was second in the queue for our group but myslef and the chap who was 1st didnt get our orders until i went up and asked where they were as everyone else had nearly ate theirs " doing them in order " was the excuse uhm ok so why wasn't mine out before all the others its not like a tea cake takes longer to make than bacon butties.
On the way back we had some hills so the faster ones would give it a bit of go and wait at the top for those who were less inclined to go nuts so i got a few PB`s.
One chap mentioned i needed the other knee doing to slow me down a bit :smile:
After the club ride i had 9 miles to make the metric century so i extended the ride home but i must have needed to eat a bit more as my pace dropped and it was a real mind over matter job to get home as everything but the knee hurt .
Just over 65 miles in the end at a steady 16 mph avg
Clipboard01.jpg

IMG-20230806-WA0000.jpg

Last edited:

Mburton1993

Über Member
Chester
C4.png
Heavy rain for a bit on the way, a good test of my waterproofs, they did well.
IMG_20230806_131855.jpg
A good test of the new drivetrain aswell.
CR4.png
Anyone got any tips for extending a satnav battery life? It last about 8 hours at the moment, brightness is lowest and guidance off.

Does anyone charge on the go with a power bank?

Attachments

• IMG_20230806_131851.jpg
    IMG_20230806_131851.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 8

Jameshow

Veteran
Needed a big ride on the bag for my MH more than anything. Struggling of late....

My big local ride of Ripley pateley bridge grassington home.

Started cold but dry had a too warm long sleeved jacket on too hot. Decided to go via Ripley to avoid Norwood edge (Yeap I'm a wimp!) by going to Ripley which was a mistake as the leatherly road was busy and still quite hilly!
Eccles cakes and coffee brought in pateley bridge and ready for Greenhow hill! Stripped if long sleaved jersey. Didn't seem as bad as previous years must be fitter!!

Took first left before getting to hetton/ grassington onto quiet lane to appletreewick.

Storreths rd closed even to cyclists must be working on landslide. Rain started so put on waterproof jacket till home.

Last 10 miles were a drag as expected. Saddle sore as tried cannondale saddle what was I thinking of! Must put on turbo/selle rolls.

62 miles 14.8 by the time I'd climbed the hill to Baildon!

IMG-20230806-WA0002.jpeg

IMG-20230806-WA0028.jpeg

IMG-20230806-WA0030.jpeg

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Went t'shops on't Fuji. Thought I'd outsmarted the rain by skirting round behind the clouds; only to get utterly drenched..

Upper body was good thanks to the Brompton jacket and Prendas cap; legs soaked through, waterproof Ortliebs and covered Osprey rucksack fine, bike generally OK, jury out on waxed chain. When I got to Sainsburys a pierced half-my-age-hottie at the bike rack allowed me the privilege of returning her basket on my way in. By the time I'd minced around with my jacket draped across the front of the trolly everything was mostly dry.

Upon leaving under the now clear-blue skies everything dry was packed back into the rucksack and much grinding was had up hills with the additional 7.5kg / £45's worth of noms acquired. Bone dry when I got back; feeling great as always for getting out :smile:

EDIT: Having had time to read some of the posts above, as always there are some great photos!

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
.Decided to go via Ripley to avoid Norwood edge (Yeap I'm a wimp!) by going to Ripley which was a mistake as the leatherly road was busy and still quite hilly!
Might be a Ripley too many in that- the B6161 via Leathley will be busy with traffic having to divert fron the closed A61 over Harewood Bridge and deciding that then is a better route for their destination than the A658.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Anyone got any tips for extending a satnav battery life? It last about 8 hours at the moment, brightness is lowest and guidance off.

Does anyone charge on the go with a power bank?
Is that a lot less life than it used to be? If so, you may be able to restore the device by fitting a new battery.

My devices last about 12 hours and I don't really do rides as long as that now. I have a small power bank which I will take if I ever get back into riding 200+ km though.

Storreths rd closed even to cyclists must be working on landslide. Rain started so put on waterproof jacket till home.
Are you absolutely sure that you couldn't get through? It was like that a year ago for this ride but we had no problem getting past.

Top Bottom