Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

a.twiddler

Veteran
Your ride today
Roast Twiddler
10/8/23

Today is supposed to be the best day this week (though yesterday was not bad, just overcast, a missed opportunity).
T shirt weather today, though I have a rain jacket and gilet stuffed in my bag.

After generously slapping on the sun cream I set off at 09:30 into an already warm morning, left out of my back gate, to the lights at Darnhall bridge. These are becoming a nuisance as they seem to have a mind of their own. Getting up the other side from a standing start is not so bad, but from the other direction is a stiff climb, often homeward bound after a longish trip.

Under way again, making reasonable progress into a fitful headwind towards Wettenhall and Nantwich. I decide not to stop if possible apart for the odd swig of water. I certainly notice the potholes after the suspended Spirit. A few cyclists are about, some going the other way but mostly passing me. It’s surprising how noisy some of these bikes are, especially the ones who are going for it. A noticeable humming and whirring. Apart from some tyre noise as the speed rises, (admittedly a rare event in my case), mostly from the front Big Apple, the Linear is pretty quiet.

The Chester-Wrexham road is not too busy at this time of day and crossing it is not a problem. The hedges on Welshman’s Lane keep the wind off but it is still gradually uphill. Into Welsh Row then right on to the road to Wrenbury. I heave up and over the Llangollen canal bridge. A passing brown dragonfly pauses to inspect me, then having decided that I might be edible, but that it’s too much to take on, flits away. I see several more on my trip, amongst many other insects. I trundle on Wrenbury-wards.

At Wrenbury Heath a utility cyclist pops out from a turning on the left and I follow him anticipating passing him in due course. A car and two vans overtake me and interpose themselves between myself and him. For some reason they stop and start every time they come across a parked or oncoming vehicle while the utility cyclist keeps steadily on his course. I have the rare experience of other road users actually holding me up! Eventually they all overtake him and I gradually close the gap. My turning for Marbury appears before I manage that so I turn left into New Road.

This stretch manages the seemingly impossible feat of being largely downhill in both directions. Whatever the cause, it makes for easy riding in the shade of the trees lining the road in the increasing heat of the day. It’s the calm before the storm of hills between here and Whitchurch.

There are a few humps between here and Marbury which normally would be no problem but in the gathering heat are quite uncomfortable. The intervening downhills aren’t quite enough to cool me down again.

Onward and upwards I trundle, passing familiar landmarks from the time I came this way with Twiddler the younger in June. On that trip, I found the climbing tough but not impossible. Today, with the added element of heat, it’s much harder. I find myself stopping in the shade to cool down and have a swig of water more often than is compatible with making good progress. The tall hedge banks provide less shade as the sun rises higher yet block any cooling breeze.

I reach what I recognise as the last long hill before reaching Whitchurch. There are climbs, false summits, less steep stretches where I can speed up and create a faint breeze but I can feel my temperature rising relentlessly.

I stop several times in the shade, drink water, but become no cooler. The heat radiates up from the road and I feel my face burning. I feel my heart beating rapidly but irregularly. I suspect that if I don’t get out of this situation before long I’m likely to keel over from the effects of heat. I can see the summit where the road opens out but can’t motivate myself to cover the distance. Cars pass in both directions, the sound of their tyres oppressive in this narrow space. I see what looks like a cyclist coming over the hill but as he goes past downhill I see it’s a vintage Honda PC50 moped with the motor built into the rear wheel, from an era when mopeds had pedals. I wonder if it’s a restoration or if he’s had it since the 1960s. I expect he’d have to use pedal assist if he was coming uphill. Strange what goes through your mind even when your body is not functioning well.

This motivates me to make a further effort. There’s nowhere to sit down anyway so I sit on the seat and pedal. I manage a few more yards before stopping again. I get off and push a few more yards then rest, push a few more yards then rest. I’m nearly there now so get on and pedal, over the summit, and there is a breeze as the road opens out and isolated houses appear.

I freewheel slowly down the hill and soon feel much better, though the sun is still uncomfortable. It’s surprising what a difference a couple of degrees makes. Past a cemetery, then I’m surrounded by houses, and into Whitchurch. Near the bottom of the hill I start pedalling again. I have a vague idea how to get onto the road to Alkington but instead of digging out the map I follow my nose as keeping going is at least cooling me down.

Unfortunately my nose leads me past my turn off and I find myself approaching a roundabout on the bypass. I stop in the shade and look at the map. I would have to go back towards the town centre and double back. The time is now 1pm: if I was on the right road I might have given it another hour to at least try to get as far as Ellesmere via the lanes but I decide to head for the town centre, grab something to eat, and head for home.

I find a cafe with seats and umbrellas outside so I can have shade and a breeze while I eat with the bike alongside. I enjoy a view of the picturesque town centre as I eat.
P1020827.JPG

Somewhat revitalised after a full fat Coke and a cheese and ham toastie, though still feeling hot, I take a picture then push the bike back up the shady side of the one way street to a car park. Here I get aboard, then onto the road back in the direction for home.

I turn right on to the Marbury road and am soon engaging with the climb up past the cemetery. I don’t need to stop here, but I do anyway as there is a plaque commemorating Commonwealth War Graves so I take a photo.
P1020828.JPG

P1020829.JPG

As I’m getting organised to set off again a yellow council truck stops alongside pointing uphill and one of the workmen says,”taking a break?” I say “yes” and the truck reverses into the cemetery entrance, then goes back down the hill.

I carry on uphill. This side of it is a lot easier than the other side. Once rolling I soon dispose of the miles I sweated and strained to gain earlier on. It would have been faster if it wasn’t for the vehicles I have to squeeze past on this narrow road. After a couple of relative hillocks which heat me up again I find myself in Marbury. Opposite the Peacock inn in Marbury there is an ancient oak on a green. It’s so big that there is a circular seat round its trunk. I park the bike against the seat and sit down in its welcome shade. I pull a can of Diet Pepsi out of my bag. It’s pretty warm. I shudder to think what state my Kit Kats are in, melted chocolate slopping around the biscuit fingers inside their fortunately sealed wrappers. I’ll have to bung them in the fridge when I get home. Meanwhile, it’s pleasant sitting under the shady oak gradually cooling down, enjoying the caffeine buzz of my lukewarm energy -free drink.
P1020830.JPG

After finishing my drink it’s very tempting to lie back and doze under the shady tree rather than venture forth back into the blistering sun but the nearby finger post reassures me that it’s only three miles to Wrenbury so I sling my empty can in the bin and launch across the grass, slowing to let a tractor and trailer go by before hitting the road. A few minor hills then through Pinsley Green for a mile of alternatively pedalling and freewheeling in the shade of New Road until I reach Wrenbury.

Just after I turn right for Nantwich I spot a shop so I stop for an ice cream, though as there’s nowhere shady to eat it I leave warmer than when I arrived. The following wind must be stronger than I thought as I get up speed and manage to hang on to it most of the way to Nantwich, Pedalling easily in high gear at 15 -16 mph. Even so, before I reach Nantwich a rider in full time trial mode comes tearing past me. I hear him a long time before he gets past, raising some fingers and grunting at me, or maybe just grunting, and soon disappears from sight.

Over the steep canal bridge and then a freewheel to Welsh Row, left towards the traffic lights and right onto the shared cycleway, diving across the road into the entrance to Welshman’s Lane where I ease off again to enjoy the shade. Soon I am back in the sun again with the heat rising from the road. No doubt I am producing plenty of Vitamin D, also suffering skin damage, but mostly just too bloomin’ hot. Towards the lower end it’s an easy freewheel and I find myself slowing down in the shady bits, pedalling to the next one then slowing again. In this manner I come to the Chester -Wrexham road where the traffic is busier than it was this morning though with big enough gaps to let me get across without too much of a wait in the sun.

Once across into Wettenhall lane there is more shade and the following wind lets me take it easy until I have to venture into the sunlight again. Down a dip, getting up speed across a narrow bridge to climb the other side which is well peppered with potholes. It’s quite shady here which helps and once things become less steep I continue to make good progress.

The average speed according to Garmin was low 5s when I left Whitchurch and I am disappointed to see that it hasn’t increased much despite the favourable conditions on the way back. I decide to see what can be done about it. Steaming along in the shade with a following wind is not difficult but once in the glare of the sun my temperature rises even while freewheeling. Through Cholmondeston, then a wide open flat stretch until a stop is needed at a shady spot to take on water in Wettenhall, then off again with a stop in the shade at a red roadworks traffic light before pressing on. Down another dip in high gear, momentum takes me most of the way up the other side before having to get into the lower gears.

Really burning up now, have to ease off but gradually getting up to speed again. Coming to Darnhall, have to ease off again with a view to being able to get up the other side of the bridge. I stop in the shade uphill from the lights until they change then pedal furiously downhill. I get a fair way up the other side before changing down, down, down, really feeling the heat, then cramp sets in on my left leg. Painful as it is, I just keep going, change up to lower the cadence and let the knees take the strain, cramp eases, then twinges occur in both legs, the slope eases and I change up, the pain goes. So hot. Fortunately its shady here, I’m not getting any hotter though not cooling down either. A slight downhill follows so I pedal gently in high gear to ease my legs. Not too far to go so I take it easy. Out into the sun again, just got to keep going. Fortunately I’ve got this comfortable seat to relax on, just got to turn those pedals for another half a mile or so up this gentle slope.

In no time I arrive at my back gate, get the bike in and close it behind me. I get a really cold drink out of the fridge. I sit in the shade until I’ve cooled down. I really don’t do heat.

Some conclusions. Approaching Whitchurch from the East is quite tough. I’ve previously tried NCN 45 and the hills it takes you over are even worse, even though the road is more or less parallel and about a mile further South. Coming back along today’s route is better, as it’s mostly downhill even if there are some short stiff climbs. Next time I’ll try going further West beyond Wrenbury before turning Southwards to see if it’s any gentler. I’ve previously ridden the main Nantwich -Whitchurch road without any issues gradient wise but the traffic has the potential to be horrible if you travel at the wrong time. It’s quite narrow with many bends which can make for impatient overtakers. Still, I would only have to use it in the outwards direction so there’s the making of a plan. It might even be the least worst option. If I don’t burn up all my time on those hills I can get further before having to turn back.

It was my misfortune that the day warmed up the way it did. According to the weather report it was 28 degrees but it felt much warmer in places. Although on reflection it was a successful journey full of experiences (any journey that you get back from using your own resources could be considered successful!) it would have been more pleasant if it had been cooler. Somehow, I’ve always managed to get back to base. My dear old mum used to say, when I was 10 or 11, “that boy would rather die than ask for help” and it’s probably still true. The last time I seriously failed to make it to base was when I conked out trying to do the Brevet Cymru in about 1982, when I got my brother out of bed at 1 am to get me and the bike home. He wasn’t best pleased.

I suppose, as Clint Eastwood said in his role as Dirty Harry, ”A man ought to know his limitations”.

Distance 46.4 miles. Max speed 24.1mph. Average speed 7.3 mph.
Ascent 1010ft.

Just occurred to me that somewhere in this bakefest of a ride I managed another metric half century. Since my old computer died on me last week I've lost most of my recent cycling info though I've got the old hard drive which so far is refusing to give up any of it. Hopefully I can get round that, given time. After mentally giving myself a good slapping for not backing stuff up, all I can say is, make sure you back up your computer files, folks!

Last edited:

Landsurfer

Veteran
Cornwall in the Rain.
We've been at our caravan in Redruth for a week now ... rained every day. We've got our daughter and her squeeze with us and the grand kids . 12, 13, and 19 .... The normal chaos and fallouts etc .... families eh !.
But every morning at 0700hrs i leave the campsite and drive, park up and have an hour on my bike. I've not ridden for 10 months, (well once, 3 months ago and got hit by a taxi driver while on a cycle path ... ). Heart, Cancer scares, suspected stroke and now diabetes have kept me off the bike ... and put 14kg onto my mass. but had all the all clears i need and will ride every day of this 14 day holiday. Little steps to start with and more to come next week.

Screenshot 2023-08-12 at 15.10.20.png

Yesterdays ride, been on this theme all week, tomorrow, Sunday, starts the hilly week.

20230812_082640.jpeg

Grim but warm, St. Michaels Mount this morning .....

20230812_082648.jpeg

0800hrs this morning Marazion beach across from St. Michaels Mount a wedding party doing photographs. The photographer , in black, is helping bride not get her dress blown away ....

20230812_082747.jpeg

Breakfast in the rain ..... lovely .....

I decided to take the Brompton out again; the last time I'd ridden it was from the station when I bought it and it hadn't been set up right. The plan was to go around the block but it turns out that pumping the tyres up properly and raising the saddle make a big dfference...

2023_08_12_Brommie_01.jpg

...so I went along my old commute route to the next town and back while I got used to the Sturmey Archer gears.

2023_08_12_Brommie_03.jpg

I'm a lot more comfortable with the bike now, although I still want some new handlebar grips. I'm going to have to change my photography style though; a small dark green bike vanishes in our German countryside, it's just as well that I went for the dynamo lights...

Last edited:

a.twiddler

Veteran
I decided to take the Brompton out again; the last time I'd ridden it was from the station when I bought it and it hadn't been set up right. The plan was to go around the block but it turns out that punping the tyres up properly and raising the saddle make a big dfference...

View attachment 702398

...so I went along my old commute route to the next town and back while I got used to the Sturmey Archer gears.

View attachment 702399

I'm a lot more comfortable with the bike now, although I still want some new handlebar grips. I'm going to have to change my photography style though; a small dark green bike vanishes in our German countryside, it's just as well that I went for the dynamo lights...

Ooh dear, you've started on a slippery slope here! It starts with, wouldn't it be nice to have a folder. I know, I'll get a Brompton, I can just stretch to it. Then, mm this rides really well, I could use it for longer rides. Now how could I personalise it? New grips? Could do with some bar ends. Maybe a bell. Not just any old bell, maybe something brass, after all, it's a Brompton. A mirror? I see its got a luggage block, I hear the front luggage system is very good (it is!). Which bag should I get out of about a million out there....and before you know it you're Dooooomed! Struck down with Bromptonitis like the rest of us poor suckers that contribute to the Brompton forum from time to time. It's too late now. There's no known cure. Resistance is futile!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
August's Imperial Century challenge ride done and dusted today. I called the route the Rye and Wye ride.
Out of the door at 6.30am to very muggy weather for a run to the seaside south east to Rye and Camber. From there east/north east cross country to the very lovely Kent village of Wye, then back northwards to home.
Typcal British summers day. Hot sunshine, Dark clouds, rain (twice) and some pesky headwinds to contend with.
So scores on the doors.
150.01 miles for the day
Imperial Century Month #153 in a row
Imperial Century #330
I managed to bag a new Eddington number of 117
9 more 118 rides to get that number

Untitled.png

Cudham Hill not far from home
20230812_064739.jpg

Sissinghurst Tour De France 2007 memorial Bike
20230812_091240.jpg

Ooh err!
20230812_130651.jpg

Now that's a gate right? Eastwell Manor 1848
20230812_132654.jpg

West Malling
20230812_155643.jpg

Last edited:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Today saw the (hopefully) bottom of the inevitable post-big-ride comedown after Thursday's Fuji foray, and what I'd looked forward to as an opportunity to do whatever I wanted turned mostly into a day spent inert and feeling totally empty, directionless and incapable..

The one tiny win was some successful dicking around with the brakes on my Genesis, and the inflation of its neglected, near-flat tyres to an appropriate, quantified pressure thanks to my relatively new track pump.

The CdF's not been out for months and I'd planned on an excursion today - partially to see what it felt like with properly inflated tyres. Unfortunately the grotty conditions both outside the window and inside my head prevented this until a couple of hours ago when I finally allowed myself to be drawn outside.

I headed north; the ride feeling quick from the off thanks to a significant tailwind, the lower rolling resistance of the tyres, reference frame of the loaded Fuji and my belligerent eagerness to thrash myself.

While the pedal position felt a bit odd to start with (oddly like they were a bit too far back..) the bike otherwise felt instantly familiar; I had few issues with the SPDs and quickly adapted to the slick 105 shifters and lovely hydro discs; appreciating the precise, immediate control this groupset offers when pressing on.

The ride encompassed mostly quiet B-roads and a few reasonably well surfaced gated roads. Thankfully the traffic was relatively minimal and other than the odd close pass, the worst I encountered was probably some yoofs on e-scooters riding towards me on the wrong side of / all over a roughly tarmacked, fairly fast descent. I held my line and they scattered. One may or may not have entered the hedge..

I ended up doing a very quick (for me) 17-ish mile loop; which included no less than 20 Strava PRs :becool:

Granted a lot of these probably wouldn't have happened were it not for the tailwind, but some were achieved in-spite of the wind and while typically covered at a gentle pace on the Fuji, were still well-ridden sections and felt like achievements.

I did have one shortish stop to take a crap photo..

IMG_20230812_195837.jpg

Ultimately, 17.3 miles and 600ft at 16.7mph and 151bpm for around 800kcal burned, and probably about the fastest I've covered any distance on this bike that I can remember :smile:

Last edited:

Landsurfer

Veteran
Tour De Hayle
Lovely 12 mile morning ride around Hayle.
Wet-ish, cloudy-ish, nice morning all around the area.

Screenshot 2023-08-13 at 09.41.10.png

Lelant Saltings used to be the park and ride for St. Ives so has an enormous carpark. But they have closed the park and ride so now all the tourists invade St. Ives every day .
20230813_083720.jpeg

The bunch of flowers is in a jar on which is written "Dear Millie, Hope things are going ok up there. We're all missing you loads. Especially me. love, Jovack'
20230813_085402.jpeg

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Saturday club run. I was too idle to get up & ride to the start, so I met them partway round. My joining them made six - an even number is always better for neatness & conversation. We chugged up a few hills, pausing to regroup at the tops, then back to the quay for coffee & chat (the other groups were there as well). On the way home I got lost in the half-built hinterlands of the city, but eventually found my way out. A wombling route home gave me all but 100k. It only rained for the last few miles.
https://www.strava.com/activities/9633340168
laur.JPG

Ooh dear, you've started on a slippery slope here! It starts with, wouldn't it be nice to have a folder. I know, I'll get a Brompton, I can just stretch to it. Then, mm this rides really well, I could use it for longer rides. Now how could I personalise it? New grips? Could do with some bar ends. Maybe a bell. Not just any old bell, maybe something brass, after all, it's a Brompton. A mirror? I see its got a luggage block, I hear the front luggage system is very good (it is!). Which bag should I get out of about a million out there....and before you know it you're Dooooomed! Struck down with Bromptonitis like the rest of us poor suckers that contribute to the Brompton forum from time to time. It's too late now. There's no known cure. Resistance is futile!

I'm already like that on my 'normal' bikes, and worse since I started working in a bike shop.

What have I done?

Couple of commutes.

First is from Thursday on the Stayer Groadinger OG.

Off the train at Waterbeach and along the river until Baits Bite lock and then over the footbridge on the lock and along gravel track and then short single track to the Horningsea road in to Cambridge.Crossed that and then a proper gravel bridleway looping to High Ditch road and then in to Fen Ditton and along the cycle path in to Cambridge itself.

IMG_4628.jpeg

IMG_4627.jpeg

IMG_4630.jpeg

https://www.strava.com/activities/9617884439

Then yesterday a commute home via Histon and Cottenham and the Twenty Pence road on the Stayer All Road; luckily avoided the rain which swept through and a welcome tail wind helped me along at a decent pace.

IMG_4632.jpeg

https://www.strava.com/activities/9634584384

Attachments

• IMG_4629.jpeg
    IMG_4629.jpeg
    158.8 KB · Views: 2

Jameshow

Veteran
Your ride today
Roast Twiddler
10/8/23

Today is supposed to be the best day this week (though yesterday was not bad, just overcast, a missed opportunity).
T shirt weather today, though I have a rain jacket and gilet stuffed in my bag.

After generously slapping on the sun cream I set off at 09:30 into an already warm morning, left out of my back gate, to the lights at Darnhall bridge. These are becoming a nuisance as they seem to have a mind of their own. Getting up the other side from a standing start is not so bad, but from the other direction is a stiff climb, often homeward bound after a longish trip.

Under way again, making reasonable progress into a fitful headwind towards Wettenhall and Nantwich. I decide not to stop if possible apart for the odd swig of water. I certainly notice the potholes after the suspended Spirit. A few cyclists are about, some going the other way but mostly passing me. It’s surprising how noisy some of these bikes are, especially the ones who are going for it. A noticeable humming and whirring. Apart from some tyre noise as the speed rises, (admittedly a rare event in my case), mostly from the front Big Apple, the Linear is pretty quiet.

The Chester-Wrexham road is not too busy at this time of day and crossing it is not a problem. The hedges on Welshman’s Lane keep the wind off but it is still gradually uphill. Into Welsh Row then right on to the road to Wrenbury. I heave up and over the Llangollen canal bridge. A passing brown dragonfly pauses to inspect me, then having decided that I might be edible, but that it’s too much to take on, flits away. I see several more on my trip, amongst many other insects. I trundle on Wrenbury-wards.

At Wrenbury Heath a utility cyclist pops out from a turning on the left and I follow him anticipating passing him in due course. A car and two vans overtake me and interpose themselves between myself and him. For some reason they stop and start every time they come across a parked or oncoming vehicle while the utility cyclist keeps steadily on his course. I have the rare experience of other road users actually holding me up! Eventually they all overtake him and I gradually close the gap. My turning for Marbury appears before I manage that so I turn left into New Road.

This stretch manages the seemingly impossible feat of being largely downhill in both directions. Whatever the cause, it makes for easy riding in the shade of the trees lining the road in the increasing heat of the day. It’s the calm before the storm of hills between here and Whitchurch.

There are a few humps between here and Marbury which normally would be no problem but in the gathering heat are quite uncomfortable. The intervening downhills aren’t quite enough to cool me down again.

Onward and upwards I trundle, passing familiar landmarks from the time I came this way with Twiddler the younger in June. On that trip, I found the climbing tough but not impossible. Today, with the added element of heat, it’s much harder. I find myself stopping in the shade to cool down and have a swig of water more often than is compatible with making good progress. The tall hedge banks provide less shade as the sun rises higher yet block any cooling breeze.

I reach what I recognise as the last long hill before reaching Whitchurch. There are climbs, false summits, less steep stretches where I can speed up and create a faint breeze but I can feel my temperature rising relentlessly.

I stop several times in the shade, drink water, but become no cooler. The heat radiates up from the road and I feel my face burning. I feel my heart beating rapidly but irregularly. I suspect that if I don’t get out of this situation before long I’m likely to keel over from the effects of heat. I can see the summit where the road opens out but can’t motivate myself to cover the distance. Cars pass in both directions, the sound of their tyres oppressive in this narrow space. I see what looks like a cyclist coming over the hill but as he goes past downhill I see it’s a vintage Honda PC50 moped with the motor built into the rear wheel, from an era when mopeds had pedals. I wonder if it’s a restoration or if he’s had it since the 1960s. I expect he’d have to use pedal assist if he was coming uphill. Strange what goes through your mind even when your body is not functioning well.

This motivates me to make a further effort. There’s nowhere to sit down anyway so I sit on the seat and pedal. I manage a few more yards before stopping again. I get off and push a few more yards then rest, push a few more yards then rest. I’m nearly there now so get on and pedal, over the summit, and there is a breeze as the road opens out and isolated houses appear.

I freewheel slowly down the hill and soon feel much better, though the sun is still uncomfortable. It’s surprising what a difference a couple of degrees makes. Past a cemetery, then I’m surrounded by houses, and into Whitchurch. Near the bottom of the hill I start pedalling again. I have a vague idea how to get onto the road to Alkington but instead of digging out the map I follow my nose as keeping going is at least cooling me down.

Unfortunately my nose leads me past my turn off and I find myself approaching a roundabout on the bypass. I stop in the shade and look at the map. I would have to go back towards the town centre and double back. The time is now 1pm: if I was on the right road I might have given it another hour to at least try to get as far as Ellesmere via the lanes but I decide to head for the town centre, grab something to eat, and head for home.

I find a cafe with seats and umbrellas outside so I can have shade and a breeze while I eat with the bike alongside. I enjoy a view of the picturesque town centre as I eat.
View attachment 702335
Somewhat revitalised after a full fat Coke and a cheese and ham toastie, though still feeling hot, I take a picture then push the bike back up the shady side of the one way street to a car park. Here I get aboard, then onto the road back in the direction for home.

I turn right on to the Marbury road and am soon engaging with the climb up past the cemetery. I don’t need to stop here, but I do anyway as there is a plaque commemorating Commonwealth War Graves so I take a photo.
View attachment 702336

View attachment 702337
As I’m getting organised to set off again a yellow council truck stops alongside pointing uphill and one of the workmen says,”taking a break?” I say “yes” and the truck reverses into the cemetery entrance, then goes back down the hill.

I carry on uphill. This side of it is a lot easier than the other side. Once rolling I soon dispose of the miles I sweated and strained to gain earlier on. It would have been faster if it wasn’t for the vehicles I have to squeeze past on this narrow road. After a couple of relative hillocks which heat me up again I find myself in Marbury. Opposite the Peacock inn in Marbury there is an ancient oak on a green. It’s so big that there is a circular seat round its trunk. I park the bike against the seat and sit down in its welcome shade. I pull a can of Diet Pepsi out of my bag. It’s pretty warm. I shudder to think what state my Kit Kats are in, melted chocolate slopping around the biscuit fingers inside their fortunately sealed wrappers. I’ll have to bung them in the fridge when I get home. Meanwhile, it’s pleasant sitting under the shady oak gradually cooling down, enjoying the caffeine buzz of my lukewarm energy -free drink.
View attachment 702339
After finishing my drink it’s very tempting to lie back and doze under the shady tree rather than venture forth back into the blistering sun but the nearby finger post reassures me that it’s only three miles to Wrenbury so I sling my empty can in the bin and launch across the grass, slowing to let a tractor and trailer go by before hitting the road. A few minor hills then through Pinsley Green for a mile of alternatively pedalling and freewheeling in the shade of New Road until I reach Wrenbury.

Just after I turn right for Nantwich I spot a shop so I stop for an ice cream, though as there’s nowhere shady to eat it I leave warmer than when I arrived. The following wind must be stronger than I thought as I get up speed and manage to hang on to it most of the way to Nantwich, Pedalling easily in high gear at 15 -16 mph. Even so, before I reach Nantwich a rider in full time trial mode comes tearing past me. I hear him a long time before he gets past, raising some fingers and grunting at me, or maybe just grunting, and soon disappears from sight.

Over the steep canal bridge and then a freewheel to Welsh Row, left towards the traffic lights and right onto the shared cycleway, diving across the road into the entrance to Welshman’s Lane where I ease off again to enjoy the shade. Soon I am back in the sun again with the heat rising from the road. No doubt I am producing plenty of Vitamin D, also suffering skin damage, but mostly just too bloomin’ hot. Towards the lower end it’s an easy freewheel and I find myself slowing down in the shady bits, pedalling to the next one then slowing again. In this manner I come to the Chester -Wrexham road where the traffic is busier than it was this morning though with big enough gaps to let me get across without too much of a wait in the sun.

Once across into Wettenhall lane there is more shade and the following wind lets me take it easy until I have to venture into the sunlight again. Down a dip, getting up speed across a narrow bridge to climb the other side which is well peppered with potholes. It’s quite shady here which helps and once things become less steep I continue to make good progress.

The average speed according to Garmin was low 5s when I left Whitchurch and I am disappointed to see that it hasn’t increased much despite the favourable conditions on the way back. I decide to see what can be done about it. Steaming along in the shade with a following wind is not difficult but once in the glare of the sun my temperature rises even while freewheeling. Through Cholmondeston, then a wide open flat stretch until a stop is needed at a shady spot to take on water in Wettenhall, then off again with a stop in the shade at a red roadworks traffic light before pressing on. Down another dip in high gear, momentum takes me most of the way up the other side before having to get into the lower gears.

Really burning up now, have to ease off but gradually getting up to speed again. Coming to Darnhall, have to ease off again with a view to being able to get up the other side of the bridge. I stop in the shade uphill from the lights until they change then pedal furiously downhill. I get a fair way up the other side before changing down, down, down, really feeling the heat, then cramp sets in on my left leg. Painful as it is, I just keep going, change up to lower the cadence and let the knees take the strain, cramp eases, then twinges occur in both legs, the slope eases and I change up, the pain goes. So hot. Fortunately its shady here, I’m not getting any hotter though not cooling down either. A slight downhill follows so I pedal gently in high gear to ease my legs. Not too far to go so I take it easy. Out into the sun again, just got to keep going. Fortunately I’ve got this comfortable seat to relax on, just got to turn those pedals for another half a mile or so up this gentle slope.

In no time I arrive at my back gate, get the bike in and close it behind me. I get a really cold drink out of the fridge. I sit in the shade until I’ve cooled down. I really don’t do heat.

Some conclusions. Approaching Whitchurch from the East is quite tough. I’ve previously tried NCN 45 and the hills it takes you over are even worse, even though the road is more or less parallel and about a mile further South. Coming back along today’s route is better, as it’s mostly downhill even if there are some short stiff climbs. Next time I’ll try going further West beyond Wrenbury before turning Southwards to see if it’s any gentler. I’ve previously ridden the main Nantwich -Whitchurch road without any issues gradient wise but the traffic has the potential to be horrible if you travel at the wrong time. It’s quite narrow with many bends which can make for impatient overtakers. Still, I would only have to use it in the outwards direction so there’s the making of a plan. It might even be the least worst option. If I don’t burn up all my time on those hills I can get further before having to turn back.

It was my misfortune that the day warmed up the way it did. According to the weather report it was 28 degrees but it felt much warmer in places. Although on reflection it was a successful journey full of experiences (any journey that you get back from using your own resources could be considered successful!) it would have been more pleasant if it had been cooler. Somehow, I’ve always managed to get back to base. My dear old mum used to say, when I was 10 or 11, “that boy would rather die than ask for help” and it’s probably still true. The last time I seriously failed to make it to base was when I conked out trying to do the Brevet Cymru in about 1982, when I got my brother out of bed at 1 am to get me and the bike home. He wasn’t best pleased.

I suppose, as Clint Eastwood said in his role as Dirty Harry, ”A man ought to know his limitations”.

Distance 46.4 miles. Max speed 24.1mph. Average speed 7.3 mph.
Ascent 1010ft.

Just occurred to me that somewhere in this bakefest of a ride I managed another metric half century. Since my old computer died on me last week I've lost most of my recent cycling info though I've got the old hard drive which so far is refusing to give up any of it. Hopefully I can get round that, given time. After mentally giving myself a good slapping for not backing stuff up, all I can say is, make sure you back up your computer files, folks!
Well done!
What an essay do type it as you ride!

Jameshow

Veteran
IMG-20230813-WA0021.jpeg

IMG-20230813-WA0018.jpeg

IMG-20230813-WA0016.jpeg

IMG-20230813-WA0014.jpeg

IMG-20230813-WA0012.jpeg

IMG-20230813-WA0010.jpeg

49 miles from grassington to hawes over fleet moss x2.

Conditions were good with a SW breeze which only affected me on the return climb tbh.

I had only done fleet moss s-n having gone back via Horton in ribbledale or argasyth I knew it was harder n-s so why not.

S-n was really easy due to the wind the decent nice and fast. Beer and 2 day old donut in hawes with wallice and grommet. It was here I realised I had left my pump in the car!

Climb back over was brutal but doable. How the bike Packers did it when I was coming the other way and the lady had much more gear than the bloke! (You want all that stuff you carry it!)

Lovely decent through upper whafedale, then a headwind back down whafedale proper.

Back on the rolls saddle felt a bit wide tbh!

42miles 14.7avg 2hrs45 on the bike.

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
A different Monday night ride to the usual. Down Puslinch hill and along the river into Yealmpton. Through the shire horse fields, no horses seen, then up to Westlake. Back via Bull and Bear.

I saw a couple of buzzards, a couple of ravens and a roe deer. And my bovine buddies!

13 miles exactly.

https://www.strava.com/activities/9647727562

IMG_5485.jpeg

IMG_5488.jpeg

IMG_5491.jpeg

IMG_5494.jpeg

IMG_5504.jpeg

IMG_5506.jpeg

IMG_5516.jpeg

IMG_5519.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom