Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
In contrast to last week's portly mileage of 138ish, this week has been extremely lacklustre at around 38 miles spread over two ill-fated commutes.

The past two days have been spent with my head convincingly up my arse, while tomorrow's usual utility ride likely won't happen on account of the weather, so today was the only opportunity to address the week's pitiful distance covered.

A utility ride to Chippy was settled upon as a leisure ride really didn't appeal, while it would potentially knacker multiple birds with one stone. After much procrastinatory mincing I was off on the Fuji, one pannier bag packed with charity-shop-destined books, the other egg boxes, cheapo-knock-off Tupperware and security measures.

The air was muggy and stiflingly thick like treacle; combined with a convincing headwind this meant I was drenched in sweat within a few miles of departure. The experience continued to be not a whole lot of fun as I meandered through thankfully typically quiet country roads, upset beyond usual limits only by the odd Chelsea tractor.

Arrival at the chosen destination hardly re-affirmed my recent life-choices. The fair was in town, the traffic was chaos and some dopey mare cut across me as I headed into town - thankfully I was going that way anyway - otherwise it might have been messy. The place was crawling with a disproportionate amount of vacant, obese people with inflated faces in varying unconvincing shades of orange.

The butchers had been effectively shuttered off by the visiting spectacle, and I had to drag the arse-laden Fuji through the entirely-non-situationally-aware crowds to reach my destination. The butcher was in a crap mood; presumably because the fair had buggered his day's trading with a constant slew of '90s Euro-pop likely only to further incentivise putting his head in the meat grinder.

I requested my order and thrust my non-Tupperware in his direction, he countered with the defence that his special meat bags were leak-proof.. I insisted that he filled my box with his meat. Why wouldn't he want to fill my pseudo-sustainable box and save himself the however-many pence his landfill-bags had cost him?

Meat procured I headed towards Oxfam; pushing my way through the onslaught of bright lights, terrible music, aspiring oompa-lumpas and screaming children. The bike was locked to the railings near the gents and the books deposited; the presumably well-read bloke behind the counter seemingly shocked by my immunity to his wares as I marched out oblivious, like a eunuch from a brothel.

I left the bike where it was and scuttled first to the blue cross chairty shop (nope) then to Sainsburys for essentials in expected leiu of the usual Sunday foray. Salad, scratchings and a litre of gin hastily acquired I was relieved to find the bike still where I left it, and once its back end was painstakingly loaded I dragged it to the last two charity shops of the journey.

Katherine house offered a very friendly member of staff and sadly oversize mid-grey Dunn wool suit jacket; Helen and Douglas house touted a lot with a three-piece grey and red windowpane tweed suit (too big) and an initually promising, but ultimately disappointing selection of brown-based Houndstooth suit jackets that would have excited any '70s-era geography teacher..

Leaving empty-handed from the charity shops I was back on the bike and GTFO of dodge. As the noise, theft-anxiety and general air of knuckle-dragger softened into the distance behind me, I felt a palpable sense of relief and calm descend upon my weary corpse.

I continued back along the way I'd come for a while; eventually diverging slightly onto a more pleasant route with some wood content and tree cover. Carried on the now-tailwind in the slightly-less-oppressive air; content that all weight of expection had been removed beyond making it home in one piece. I stopped along the way to pick some blackberries; my fruit-packed water bottle reinforcing my decision not to use it for an impromptu G&T for the road.

Until close to home progress had been sedate and presided over by a soundtrack of Radiohead and Dead Can Dance; it took until smashing it back into the village to the sounds of the Prodigy's "Full Throttle" after a quick, unsuccssful egg foray before I actually felt alive, present and improved for my outing - an unprecidented 2.5hrs and 30-odd miles required to extracte my head from my arse on this occasion.

Never mind, not an afternoon wasted and no doubt I'd have been in a far worse place had I not got out. Joints were twatty but manageable and a bit of hanging when I got back was rewarded by some good cracks from my mid and lower back. Writing off the evening since I'd achieved something more than simply sitting here and turning to dust over the afternoon..

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I went to Bristol yesterday to see Half Man Half Biscuit, so I was late back home. I was groggy when I woke, and a rainy dog walk didn’t liven me up at all!

Eventually at about 10 to 4 I cycled around the Warren. It’s been raining all day here, but I managed to find a decent window of light rain.

There were a few walkers out, but no farmers!

https://www.strava.com/activities/9861557841

IMG_6187.jpeg

IMG_6188.jpeg

IMG_6189.jpeg

IMG_6190.jpeg

IMG_6191.jpeg

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
My first club social ride for quite a few weeks. The route came this way, so I joined them as they climbed out of Aylesbeare and we continued through Ottery - a brief discussion about the correct way through Feniton - and onwards to Clyst St Lawrence (pointing out the church with its tower disproportionate to the nave) and hence to Broadclyst to join the main road back to Exeter. The city was jam-packed and queuing - probably because there was a rugby match on. Lutzy was her usual ebullient self at the cafe ("My handsome boy", she called me 🤣). Then we went our separate ways - me, back through the city, over the blue bridge and then wombling south past the airport, through Venn Ottery and a slightly extended route home just to get the 100km in.

satsoc.JPG
https://www.strava.com/activities/9861513341

I met some mates in Elton this morning, as usual I was early
:slight_smile:

image1224×1632 173 KB

We headed down mainly off road to Geddington Chase. We timed it right the cycle motorcross track was actually in a good condition for gravel bikes. Although one of my mates came a cropper almost, he managed to plug his tyre though and when we got to the end of The Chase he topped it up.

f8065073aa44cbb8a330590ef3e2908e013e1741_2_375x500.jpg

We managed to find a good cafe in Geddington.

image1224×1632 204 KB

As expected we stopped in the pub in Fortheinghay for a couple of Moretti’s. During which the wind really got up ahead of a storm. Which made it a right slog home and I was keen to get there before being soaked. However whilst the rest of the UK seems soaked, an hour and a half later despite the pending storms Peterborough is still dry for now!

image2065×583 153 KB

image1920×739 104 KB

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I'd written off the idea of a ride today, however this morning the outside seemed a lot less oppressive - still overcast but far less humid with a bit of a breeze, and the threat of rain not until the early afternoon, according to the forecast.

While not urgent I did need a few things I'd failed to acquire during yesterday's hurried outing, and was down to my last two eggs so resolved to pop to Sainsburys via the farm shop. On top of that I felt the need to repent for the half-litre of gin that mysteriously disappeared last night, and give thanks to the universe for the fact I was remarkably unscathed this morning.

Farm shop was still bereft of the precious, and while I'd intended to do out-and-back west for eggs then north to the supermarket, I decided instead to continue west and do a larger loop.. somewhat stupidly as the route was pretty convoluted and sub-optimal..

In the next village I found somewhere else selling eggs and bought the single box on offer. While slowly tracking NW I mulled over the idea of a quick trip to the tip; on the one hand the roads round there are gash and time would be tight if I was to be back to miss the forecast 2pm rain; on the other I'm a gannet for salvageables and had half-said I'd do a recce for a mate who was interested in some demijohns I'd spotted last time I was down there.

In the hope of missing out some of the grottiest roads I aimed for the tip via a hitherto unexplored bridleway I'd spotted on a map. As usual it started off fairly promising with a manageable car-width hard-pack mud track, however as we all know this couldn't last; getting narrower, rougher and steeper until I was heading down what looked like the bed of a dried out stream. This evidently was the route the rainwater takes down this particular bit of hill; taking with it the sediment and leaving only loose rocks and roots. I clung on for a while before thinking better of it, dismounting and walking the bike to the field at the bottom.

After stopping to consult the map I was back on the bike once the terrain improved, the route to the main road remaining a mixture of mud tracks and poor quality tarmac; while not ideal the Fuji coped well enough and I was relieved to escape without any punctures!

Horrible, fast A-road reached I spent a mercifully short time enduring the stupidity of drivers before getting to the recycling centre and randomly bumping into a mate who was there with his step kids looking for a bike.. Pickings were especially slim today, so I got a price for the demijohns, forgot to check to see if the nice burnt orange cushions were still there that I should have bought last time, and got the eye off a fellow punter as I was leaving, which was nice as I sometimes feel quite self-conscious in my shrinkwrapped-sausage-meat base layer :smile:

Instead of taking the main A-road back towards the supermarket (after my previous horrible experience of many fast, close passes) I explored another route that took me north to the next town; soon becoming familiar as it was the reverse of a route I'd discovered last time I rode to the tip.

I followed a big loop along some lovely country roads and back into the town that shall not be named; with today's ride having become actually enjoyable far sooner than yesterday's. Eventually at the supermarket I managed to park the bike once trolleys had been moved that dickheads insist on leaving wedged in the bike parking area.

Back at the bike with my shopping I opened one of the panniers to be greeted by a proto-omlette sitting in the bottom; the earlier rough terrian having evidently shaken the precious to death :sad:

Since I couldn't use that bag I left the mess inside and crammed my thankfully fairly minimal shop into the one on the other side; causing a fair imbalance across the bike but it was surprisingly manageable. My mood soured further leaving the shop as I watch yet another lazy, vacuous bellend stuff a trolley in the bike parking area.. my confidence inadiquate to say anything; as much as I wanted to. I did consider dumping my own trolley right behind his car before he pulled away, but he left before I'd finished loading up, which was probably for the best.

Following the familiar route back from the supermarket I became aware of a significant sound encroaching through the Underworld being pushed into my ears, so stopped and found the source to be a Lancaster bomber soaring over the town. I watched and listened while its distant but distinctive silhoutte made its way through the sky; feeling quite profoundly affected to have witnessed this piece of history - and all it stands for - so unexpectedly.

From that point the mood became more sombre and reflective; travelling in silence for a while before moving on to some Pink Floyd, which seemed fitting.

Oddly on an ascent on the bridleway between two villages I passed a neighbour who a vaguely know; walking her trio of cocktail-sausage dogs - their presence in this location being unusual; if their immense shoutyness at my presence was familar enough. For some reason they seem to hate cyclists / me in particular..

Back at home as the rain became more serious, the eggs were poured from the pannier through a sieve (I'm tight and my bags are clean) into a bowl which is now in the fridge. Of the initial six two remained intact, maybe 50% of the rest recovered having not soaked into the now very limp box. I'll have the dregs in an omlette at some point; although maybe not today as so far I've not eaten and will try to push that out into a 36hr fast as my allergies are pretty grotty currently.

The pannier bag went in the shower with me and is now drip-drying; hung from the shower curtain rail by a head torch strap I kept last-minute when scrapping the knackered torch - finding a use for it making me quite smug :tongue:

Anyway, egg failure and muppets notwithstanding I had a pretty nice ride and was glad to get out when I wasn't expecting to. All in all I managed a little under 29 miles and 1100ft at 129bpm and 12.9mph for a shade under 1300kcal burned. This brings this weeks mileage to a respectable 98ish.

Apologies for the lack of pictures; as usual it was all pretty tame and well done if you made it to the end of the plodding account of my monotonous day's activities :tongue:

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
66 miles in total to love and piste cafe in east leake with 3 other club riders .
i will have to adjust the route as part of it was on a fast road uphill so cars whizzing past us so not ideal, i was on the old alloy boardman and boy compared to the carbon its very buzzy and a bit heavier but still a fun bike to ride as its very planted at speed where the carbon is twitchier .
Clipboard01.jpg

Clipboard02.jpg

a.twiddler

Veteran
16/9/23
Today was supposed to be the best weather wise for the next few days.

I had it in mind to cram in a trip to the Chester Greenway from Guilden Sutton then along the Shropshire Union towpath to the Boat Museum at Ellesmere Port. I’d ridden the Greenway before, and parts of the Shropshire Union towpath, but had never linked them up. While working out a minor road route I came across some ancient bridges, just off Cotton Lane, on the map and thought I could squeeze those in too, as they could easily be included on the route. I would have to allow about eight hours including stops as it was around 60 miles round trip. An ambitious plan, hampered only by my idle nature and reluctance to get out of bed in time. Still, I decided to get going, a bit late, and see what I could manage.

I’d got my bits and pieces together the previous night so it didn’t take long to get under way. I was riding the HP Velotechnik Spirit recumbent as I wanted to see how it coped as I stretched out the mileage, perhaps with a view to it eventually taking the place of the redoubtable Linear. Hard to believe that it came as a well packed box of bits in June, and has gradually been getting fettled since.

Just the usual gear which I wear on the bike, slim fit trousers, a seviceable pair of shoes, T shirt, thin fleece, track mitts, peaked cap and shades. Out through the back gate, left downhill and into the countryside via Darnhall and the unpredictable traffic lights which for once were in my favour as I rolled downhill towards them. Usually the wind is in my face when I set out in this direction but today the going was suspiciously easy and I thought I might suffer for it on the way back. Soon I turned right into Hickhurst Lane which leads to Oulton Park, via King’s Lane. There was a motorcycle event on today and it was like a mechanical zoo with all the raucous roaring, screaming and wailing going on behind those red brick walls.

Through Rushton Spencer, right into Rushton Lane, left into Brownhills Road, on to Cotebrook and across the A49, across another minor road and into Utkinton Lane. There was a continuous climb from this point. A group of roadies passed me and turned right onto Hollins Hill Lane. They all said “Hello”. I didn’t envy them that climb. I’ve been up there and it’s continuously steep to the summit.

Meanwhile, I just steadily got on with my own climb. I stopped near the top to take off my fleece. Eventually I turned right opposite Utkinton Hall and followed signs for Duddon. Crossing the A51 Tarporley Road at Duddon I got on to Hook Lane and eventually turned right on to Broomheath Lane. I passed a group of older male cyclists going the other way. They all said hi, and someone called out from behind, “keep on riding, dude!” Soon I came to a left turn onto Platts Lane which was narrow and muddy with tractor tracks imprinted in the mud. After several miles the lane turned back on itself but a path continued straight on after a bridleway sign. The path was gloomy and overgrown with vegetation though the surface was smooth packed earth. Riding on it was easy with a slight downhill trend though I had to keep my arms tucked in to avoid all the scratching and stinging plants.
P1020867.JPG

It seemed to go on for a long way and I was beginning to wonder if I was on the right route when I came across a young couple with a dog. I asked them and they confirmed that it was a cycle trail and there were the “Roman Bridges” at the end of it. I thanked them and continued on my way. I visualised gingerly having to wheel my bike over some decrepit crumbling wobbly collection of stones.

At last I emerged from the vegetation and there in a beam of sunlight as if in some fairytale scene were two immaculate bridges linked by a raised causeway, beamed into a place that seemed like the middle of nowhere. They looked as though they had been recently restored. They were narrow, too narrow for a cart, and paved with cobbles. How could I have lived in this part of Cheshire for so many years without finding this hidden treasure? Beyond the second bridge there was a gate on the right to Hockenhull Platts nature reserve, access by permit only, and an information sign. The river Gowy runs under the second bridge but due to the low lying nature of the land often floods hence the causeway and more than one bridge.
P1020870.JPG

P1020871.JPG

As I went to read the sign I realised that there was another bridge further along the track standing in solitary splendour across a pool.
P1020874.JPG

It seems that these bridges are known locally as the “Roman Bridges” though it’s unlikely that they are that old. There have been bridges here, probably built of wood, since at least the 12th century that were rebuilt in their present form in the 1700s. The pack horse route through here was part of a route between Chester and London for centuries before the age of turnpike roads, canals and railways.

Discovering these bridges was well worth a ride for its own sake.

I continued over the final bridge and followed the track which became muddy before improving. I could see the tyre tracks of various cycles, even narrow untreaded road tyres, which had passed through here. At this end the track soon came to a surfaced road and shortly to a junction with Cotton Lane. It seems that the entire lane including what appears to be a restricted bridleway is all part of Platts Lane to the junction with Cotton Lane. This in turn is part of NCN 71 which I’d earlier unwittingly followed between Cotebrook and Utkinton before taking a more direct route to rejoin it at the bridleway part of Platts Lane.

I stopped to consider my options as it was now nearly 1 pm. It was unlikely that I could make it to Ellesmere Port and back without getting home later than I’d wanted. I could still get to Chester Greenway and maybe get as far as the turn off for the towpath section of that route before turning back. On the other hand, I felt like a snack break and I knew there was a nice spot at Waverton on the Shropshire Union Canal which wasn’t far away from where I was. So I set off for Waverton along Cotton Lane (which had now confusingly changed its name to Plough Lane) until I came to the next crossroads where there was a pub called The Plough. There was at one time a gibbet at this crossroads where I turned left at Brown Heath and was soon in Waverton. I turned right on Eggbridge Lane and turned left onto the canal just after Egg Bridge.
P1020876.JPG

There was a green area and some benches where I parked and sat down for a flapjack and a drink. A group of young canoeists had just arrived and were hauling their canoes out of the water. They all left their canoes to drain and went over to a minibus and trailer to have some sort of discussion with their instructors.

It was all very quiet and peaceful by the canal. It seemed a very pleasant village. Walkers came and went, some with dogs, all enjoying what could be the last of the fine weather for a while. There was a slight wind, so I put my thin fleece back on while I sat. I hauled out my map and saw that the NCN 45 road route followed parallel to the canal, and converged a few bridges further on with the canal towpath Brown route.
P1020877.JPG

The towpath hereabouts seemed pretty good so I was tempted to just follow it and join the NCN 45 road route further on rather than in Waverton. It would be possible to continue in that direction to Huxley before turning to Clotton to cross the A51 and rejoin my original outward route. OK then. I rounded up my bits and pieces, noting that a couple of mountain bikers had just arrived and were looking at some sort of sat nav. I hit the trail and was feeling pleased that I would get some towpath bashing done today, if not the planned stretch. All went well for the first quarter mile or so.

If intelligence is the ability to learn from experience, I felt pretty dim, because from then on, the towpath became narrower and overgrown, as might be expected at the end of summer. I passed a couple of dog walkers coming the other way, then an old chap who it seemed wanted to talk about the bike. The two mountain bikers caught up with me. I pulled over to let the old feller by, then the mountain bikers. The path got narrower, the prickly hedges got hedgier, then random tree roots became more prominent. I passed one bridge which was pedestrian access only, the next was farm access, then finally I found one with just a stretch of unmade lane between it and the road.

Once on the road, with clear signs that it was NCN 45, things got better. It was quite wide and well surfaced but surprisingly busily trafficked considering Sustrans’ fondness for traffic free routes. They all gave me plenty of room but it was a bit bland and featureless. Eventually it crossed the canal on a traffic light controlled bridge which was surprisingly high and steep. I passed a sign announcing “Huxley” but it was some time before there was anything resembling a village. This road was Long Lane and though it was only a few miles it lived up to its name. Eventually I reached the left turn to Huxley, through the village, to a T junction then left towards what I hoped was Clotton. The signpost was well overgrown and hard to read. Fortunately while passing through Hoofield a signpost to the right indicated Clotton so away I went.

On reaching the A51 at Clotton I turned left then right for Willington. I passed a cyclist looking at his phone at the junction. Up a slight hill, I took off my fleece as I was heating up again. The cyclist that I’d passed earlier went by uphill followed by an older cyclist, both in some club colours. The older cyclist was going quite slowly. There was a quite long, steep hill and I began to catch them up. Then they stopped for a breather. The older guy asked if the bike was electric as I went past and I said no, that’s a front hub dynamo. I kept on going and they slowly went past me again. That was annoying. I was heating up but nevertheless changed down and spun a bit faster. At the top of the hill was Willington Hall Hotel and I realised that I hadn’t passed that on the outward ride. From looking at the map I’d passed my turn off. The right thing to do would have been to go back down the hill and take the turn off.

Having gained all that height I was reluctant to let it go, then expect to have to climb some more. On the other hand, the alternative route was to climb another hill opposite the hotel which seemed even steeper than the one I’d just climbed. “Press on” screamed my rampant press on-itis, with the blokey assumption that one doesn’t turn back or ask for directions. “Get lost” replied my now-wobbly legs. So we took it very easy up the hill. Once I'd got going I felt OK and trundled steadily on. Coming into Utkinton I was a little disorientated but once I realised that I needed the Tarporley road I got my bearings. After climbing a short hill I came to a farm shop with a cafe so I took the opportunity for a cake stop. Must be turning into a proper cyclist then!

After a cold drink and a Victoria sponge I was raring to go again. It helped that the first bit was downhill, then left up a non signposted lane, uphill then down to the junction by Utkinton Hall where I turned left back on to Utkinton Lane and the route home. A little more climbing, then the glorious freewheel all the way back to Cotebrook. The rumpus from the racing at Oulton Park was clearly audible as I trundled downhill. It struck me that racing is going to become very dull once all the vehicles are electric, whining almost inaudibly round the circuit. Across the A49, along Oulton Mill Lane, Brownhills Road, Rushton Lane, King’s Lane, rolling well, pushed by a wind which was stronger than expected. Once on Hickhurst Lane the wind both helped and hindered my progress as it zig zagged across the landscape. Some homegoing traffic from Oulton Park, hoping to avoid the rush no doubt, though it all gave me plenty of room.

Once I turned left at the T junction on Hall Road the wind was full in my face, and I geared down and doggedly pushed on into it. Soon I arrived at the lights at Darnhall bridge which steadfastly remained at red while I ground to a halt. A steady stream of traffic came the other way. Eventually they changed but despite my best efforts I didn’t get much of a run at the climb out so I ground my way up. Once over the hump it was a steady run home. Today I didn't manage to do all that I set out to do. Ellesmere Port will have to wait for another day. None the less, today was very varied, and the bike acquitted itself well. It's the furthest I've been on this bike so far since I acquired it in June.

Distance 33.9 miles. Max speed 23.4 mph. Average 7mph.
Ascent 990 ft.

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
@Donger Nice write up and pictures of the South East Kent coast. Its our cycle stomping ground.
You should have given a shout out on here that you were down that way. I certainly would have made an effort to come meet you for a ride and show you some other nice routes. That's of course if you wanted company.
Next time.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
@Donger Nice write up and pictures of the South East Kent coast. Its our cycle stomping ground.
You should have given a shout out on here that you were down that way. I certainly would have made an effort to come meet you for a ride and show you some other nice routes. That's of course if you wanted company.
Next time.

Thanks @ianrauk . The same offer applies if you ever come to Gloucestershire ,,, though we might not ride at the same pace! All of my rides were of 2-4 hours, either early morning or early evening to fit around holiday time with my wife, so solo rides were probably the order of the day anyway. While driving around E.Sussex, I did see some other cyclists, but a lot of the inland roads struck me as being rat runs, and I probably found my sorts of roads in sticking to the coast and the Romney Marsh area. I got as far West as the top of Battery Hill near Hastings. Would have liked to have gone along the seafront too, but it was starting to get seriously warm and I didn't fancy having to climb my way back out of Hastings on the way back!

geocycle

Legendary Member
Thanks @ianrauk . The same offer applies if you ever come to Gloucestershire ,,, though we might not ride at the same pace! All of my rides were of 2-4 hours, either early morning or early evening to fit around holiday time with my wife, so solo rides were probably the order of the day anyway. While driving around E.Sussex, I did see some other cyclists, but a lot of the inland roads struck me as being rat runs, and I probably found my sorts of roads in sticking to the coast and the Romney Marsh area. I got as far West as the top of Battery Hill near Hastings. Would have liked to have gone along the seafront too, but it was starting to get seriously warm and I didn't fancy having to climb my way back out of Hastings on the way back!
It’s a lovely part of the country. I’m down here for a week based in Tunbridge wells but without the bike. There are some great roads, villages and cafes but the traffic is character building. I guess you get used to the roads and safe routes. A contrast from the Yorkshire Dales though!

Photo dump from a week-end camping at Burnham Deepdale.

Bit of a curates egg of a trip;

Downsides; Puncture just a few minutes after leaving Kings Lynn station with was plugged but was still a bit low at Sandingham
Second plug put in at Sandringham with helped but while doing so subsequently got bitten by some insects(as did the better half) as we didn't think we'd need the insect spray on until the campsite.
As we got to Docking other half felt a bit unwell (had shaking hands and felt dizzy,poss heat and not enough food) so stopped there for a bit
Saturday evening went to the Jolly Sailors pup for a beer/sea shanty festival but even at 7 o'clock it was absolutely rammed so did a u-turn and ate and drank at the campsite
And on Sunday came home a day earlier as storms forecast for the evening and Sunday morning and the bites were not going away despite the medication.

Upsides; Holkham beach glorious in the late summer sun.
Frenchs' chips up to standard at Wells
And found a nice Norfolk red to quaff on Saturday (after an Adnams wines Chilean) and still heard the sea shanties wafting on the breeze.

Bikes at Lynn station;

IMG_4760.jpeg

Tent all set up at the campsite;

IMG_4764.jpeg

Re-used sculpture I presume here at Burnham Overy Town;

IMG_4766.jpeg

Holkham gap;

IMG_4767.jpeg

Chips at Wells;

IMG_4769.jpeg

Wells beach;

IMG_4771.jpeg

Wells new lifeboat and station;

IMG_4772.jpeg

Coffee and croissant;

IMG_4776.jpeg

Stayer parked on the ride back;

IMG_4777.jpeg

Not quite the weekend we planned and the bites are still itchy but still nice to get away for a few days.

Jameshow

Veteran
Photo dump from a week-end camping at Burnham Deepdale.

Bit of a curates egg of a trip;

Downsides; Puncture just a few minutes after leaving Kings Lynn station with was plugged but was still a bit low at Sandingham
Second plug put in at Sandringham with helped but while doing so subsequently got bitten by some insects(as did the better half) as we didn't think we'd need the insect spray on until the campsite.
As we got to Docking other half felt a bit unwell (had shaking hands and felt dizzy,poss heat and not enough food) so stopped there for a bit
Saturday evening went to the Jolly Sailors pup for a beer/sea shanty festival but even at 7 o'clock it was absolutely rammed so did a u-turn and ate and drank at the campsite
And on Sunday came home a day earlier as storms forecast for the evening and Sunday morning and the bites were not going away despite the medication.

Upsides; Holkham beach glorious in the late summer sun.
Frenchs' chips up to standard at Wells
And found a nice Norfolk red to quaff on Saturday (after an Adnams wines Chilean) and still heard the sea shanties wafting on the breeze.

Bikes at Lynn station;

View attachment 707000
Tent all set up at the campsite;

View attachment 706997

Re-used sculpture I presume here at Burnham Overy Town;

View attachment 706998

Holkham gap;

View attachment 706999

Chips at Wells;

View attachment 706996

Wells beach;

View attachment 706995

Wells new lifeboat and station;

View attachment 706994

Coffee and croissant;

View attachment 706993
Stayer parked on the ride back;

View attachment 707002

Not quite the weekend we planned and the bites are still itchy but still nice to get away for a few days.

Stop it pics of tents and chips and lifeboats et Al are inducing a real sense of jealousy!🤣🤣🤣

Lovely!!

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I treated myself to a ride around the Warren again this evening. It’s funny, on a balmy June evening I’ll see nobody there, a blustery and dull September evening….. about 10 people!

I also saw 2 wheatear about to depart for Africa (they’ll probably head off under cover of darkness) 2 red legged partridge and a kestrel.

Back via Membland hill, 30mph with watering eyes…. What could possibly go wrong?

Luckily, nothing.

10 miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/9875388398

IMG_6209.jpeg

IMG_6210.jpeg

IMG_6211.jpeg

IMG_6212.jpeg

Top Bottom