Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
An afternoon ride in sun and breeze.

Through local lanes around Luson and Battisborough then onto the coast path.

At Carswell farm they were setting up for a wedding tomorrow, they’ve got very lucky with the weather, Sunday looks awful.

Back via Noss.

Just over 10 miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/9899456542

IMG_6240.jpeg

IMG_6242.jpeg

IMG_6243.jpeg

IMG_6244.jpeg

IMG_6245.jpeg

IMG_6246.jpeg

IMG_6247.jpeg

IMG_6248.jpeg

IMG_6249.jpeg

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Could have done without the 🌨️☔️ shower on the way home...

IMG_1064.jpeg

Dave 123

Legendary Member
After a dog walk I needed a little Dartmoor fix, but I couldn’t be bothered to drive too far.

Avon Dam.

I parked in South Brent and made my way up through Aish and Zeal.

At Shipley Bridge the road is gated so I had to contend with walkers,scooters and wheelchairs which was nice to see.

Once at the dam I got halfway up the steep sloped path before I had to push!

I decided to ride around the edge of the dam lake. I almost fell off in front of some picnic people. After not very long the path became unrideable. Walk ride walk ride….. mid shin deep in swamp.

I gave up…. But I couldn’t go back past the people, so I went UP.

Tussock grass waist deep, bike on shoulder. It was hard.

Then I made a herd of cows stampede.

I decided to come down and go around the other side.

That meant I had to come down the steep slope….

There were 2 women taking pictures of their dog on the line I’d have preferred…. But I fell off at slow speed on the line I took!

Off around the other side, I went along a while until I came across a small herd of cattle with a very young calf. Mum was getting stressed so I returned the way I came.

Almost 14 miles… too much of it walking!

https://www.strava.com/activities/9905529003
IMG_6255.jpeg

IMG_6258.jpeg

IMG_6262.jpeg

IMG_6263.jpeg

IMG_6265.jpeg

IMG_6271.jpeg

IMG_6272.jpeg

IMG_6274.jpeg

IMG_6282.jpeg

IMG_6290.jpeg

geocycle

Legendary Member
Had to work in the Lakes this morning which is usually wonderful but slightly tempered by it coinciding with the only dry day of the weekend. So, I put the bike in the car and had a ride this afternoon. i took the Bowness ferry across Windermere and rode down the west shore before picking up tiny roads over toward Coniston. I then went north up one of my favourite roads past Brantwood with its view across the Old Man. Up Hawkshead Hill then a loop through Wray, the Sawreys and Ferry back to Bowness. A pleasant 55 km with a lot of hills amounting to 1080 m of climbing.

pictures of Windermere and Coniston

IMG_0253.jpeg

IMG_0256.jpeg

IMG_0259.jpeg

Nice on Friday morning so a little poodle up to Downham Market via Denver sluice.

Always a nice ride (except when it's a headwind obv) and usually not too much traffic apart from the odd tractor/harvester.

Finished at The Seat in Downham Mkt for coffee and a nice white chocolate and raspberry slice and then back on the train as we had stuff to do in the afternoon.

View back from the sluice;

IMG_4782.jpeg

Arty bike shot;

IMG_4783.jpeg

View the other way with bikes;

IMG_4784.jpeg

Coffee and cake at The Seat;

IMG_4786.jpeg

And don't see many French road signs this way;

IMG_4787.jpeg

Mike_P

Guru
Saturday and no sooner than I had pumped up the Defys rather soft front tyre than the sun vanished behind cloud; the ride remained so with just the odd brief sunny interval.
A dismount soon needed; in the absence of an appropriate dropped kerb on the cycle route to the B6161, to continue on the path beyond the end of a cul-de-sac, use of one to a particular property is needed. There was a car across the dropped kerb and I did not fancy attempting a sideways bunny hop.
The inner tubes survived the rather leaf and twig fallen link to the B road itself. Straight across the roundabout with the A59 – the quicker than normal crossing contributing to the days solitary PR on the Strava segment immediately beyond.
Turned to Hampsthwaite, where I was surprised to find no signs saying the road up the eastern Clint Bank was closed. It had been whilst the single track river bridge was repaired, and no sooner than it had reopened than an overly wide agricultural vehicle sought to widen the bridge.
I was heading up the valley initally anyway, and soon came across a scene not seen since the depths of Covid with walkers in both directions on the road.
1695560066529.png

Slightly further on the local bus waited while I passed along a narrow section of the road. Then came the climb to Clapham Green and thence the steep decent to Birstwith, which translates as a road I only go one way on.
A lesser climb beyond Birstwith to a point where a lane decends to property at lower level, to then descend once again. Obviously horses were not consulted when the original track was laid out initially.
Across the river on the private toll road; two steep concrete speed bumps needed the bike carefully crossing them; two more speed bumps were plastic with tapered ends not quite the full width so allowing cycling pass.
1695560113092.png

Paused for a gulp or two from the water bottle before turning west on the B6165, and more climbing – initially on the B road then on the narrow lane through Hartwith. Wondered what the likes of a certain Radio 2 presenter would make of the approaching post van – the van slowed as far over as it could sensibly go and friendly waves were exchanged.
1695560164316.png

It took a moment or two to realise the road had finally levelled out. The following descent provided more relief until the climbing started again having gained Brimham Rocks Road, which after turning ninety degrees at a crossroads, becoming the route of the Way of the Roses NCN 688, reaches the said formations. I had caught up a couple of MTBers who I followed into the car park, where I took the opportunity offered by a rock with erosion that has neatly formed a seat to have a snack.
Away on the road/NCN around the Rocks 10 miles were passed with 1200ft having been climbed. I followed the NCN route downgrade east, leaving it to head south-east to Ripley.
1695568338251.png

Thence the Nidderdale Greenway NCN67. Road works finished so normal route home using a largely downhill section of the A59.
1695560276891.png

23.34 miles 1772ft climbed @ 12.1mph avg
210923 route.jpg

Last edited:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Some beautiful scenery posted - very jealous!

This week has been very cycle-slack, with - until yesterday - only 22 miles recorded courtesy of Monday's commute.

After a sizeable walk on Friday I'd pretty much written off the idea of much more time on the bike, however on Saturday I awoke uncharacteristically optimistic and figured a sedate, low-load spin to the local stone circle was the perfect way to acknowledge the equinox.

Of course as always I'm drowning in a sea of incomplete tasks and obligations, but brain insisted "let's just go out for the morning on knackered legs with the camera, we'll do all that other stuff when we get back - what could go wrong?".

Since cycling is pretty much the only self-indulgent passtime I have that's not only non-self-destructive but actually beneficial, I tend to heed its call whenever I can.. plus I'll always welcome anything that enables procrastination and I'm painfully aware of how hard the looming winter is likely to be; so the opportunity was seized with both hands.

For once I actually planned the route; a clockwise loop SW-ish to Chippy to bother the charity shops and butcher, then NE-ish to the Rollright stones.

The mood had taken me pretty early in the morning but as usual it was hours later until I actually set out; having done a few small jobs and prepped the bike. Outwardly it was pleasant, however anxiety was always bubbling away beneath the surface inside my head - despite my positive start to the day.

Initially my legs felt fine for all of about half a mile until turning West - uphill out of the village and into a convincing headwind. Meandering along the small B-roads that took me through the usual sequence of villages i ducked down a bit of road I'd discovered on my way back from Chippy last time; being quieter / generally more pleasant than the alternative and taking me through a brief but much-appreciated stretch of woodland:

SMALL_IMG_5808a.jpg

I soldiered on into the headwind; my optimistic "spin to win" mantra severely challenged by the short but sharp hill heading into the next village, that tops out at about 13%; requiring me to get off my arse and put in some effort out of the saddle. I was rewarded by another easy-going, earth-toned shot of the bike at the end of it all, though :smile:

SMALL_IMG_5811a.jpg

Out the other side and the sun had started to show itself, which was most welcome :smile:

SMALL_IMG_5831a.jpg

Upon finally arriving at Chippy I locked the bike up and did a brief tour of the charity shops; coming up empty-handed other than some additional vitriol thanks to two hipster-esq knobheads occupying all of the space - being either too ignorant or obstinate to let me past without physically pushing my way through.

Balance was thankfully restored moments later however when I got the opportunity to be nice and accommodating to an old woman with a walking frame who actually apologised for the fact she was taking up all of the pavement, causing me to have to briefly walk in the road..

I ran a few more food-based errands, returning to the bike frequently to appease my paranoia about it getting nicked. I decided on a piece of fish from the local chippy for lunch; fish was pretty decent; however 12-yr-old serving seemed a bit off and I was highly non-plussed to be given a plastic fork :sad:

Lunch smashed I began the non-trivial task of optimising the contents of the panniers (trying to keep the cold food that way while still allowing access to the camera and lock). I felt like some of my ill-fated mates with kids as it was an enormous faff that seemed to last forever, during which I dropped my sunglasses; to have them picked up and returned by a friendly old woman. I was outwardly very appreciative and certainly couldn't fault her attitude - although tbh I wished she'd just left them there as I was perfectly capable of of recovering them myself; which would have taken less effort than that required to interact with her..

I'd decided to head out of town via an otherwise unknown bridleway that was shown on maps but appeared somewhat sketchy on streetview. I headed into an industrial estate where it evidently began, the territory becoming ever-more delapidated and forboding to the point where I actually turned back; however upon consulting the map again it appeared I was on the right path so doubled back again and eventually got onto the correct route. While a nice environment to be in, the somewhat rocky surface was probably about as much as the tyres could be expected to take, so I pressed on very steadily..

SMALL_IMG_5833a.jpg

After wiggling through more villages (and a fair sprinkling of hills that continued ot hammer my already-knackered legs) I reached the stones; predictably to find plenty of other folk already there. It's a lovely peaceful place that I think reflects mans' most basal, legitimate and respectful connection with nature; however I felt somewhat out of place with all the meditation, stone-hugging and ley line-bothering that was going on..

SMALL_IMG_5947a.jpg

SMALL_IMG_5926a.jpg

Having stayed for a while and taken some photos I was on my way again; aware that the ambient temperature was dropping, while that of my sausages was rising; along with the fact that I'd already been out for longer than anticipated.

The ride took me home along various other backroads, grateful for the now-tailwind and stopping frequently to extricate the camera in an effort to not let the glorious golden glow of the sun go unappreciated as it sank closer to the horizon..

SMALL_IMG_5976a.jpg

SMALL_IMG_5977a.jpg

SMALL_IMG_6020a.jpg

One final push up the steep gravel track coming into the penultimate village got me to the point where I could nearly rely on gravity for the last of the ride, leaving behind this view across the valley as I headed home:

SMALL_IMG_6060a.jpg

All in all about 32 miles covered over the course of the afternoon. Conditions proved fitting for the now rapidly-changing seasons and it was good to get out; if somewhat exhausting both mentally and physically. Needless to say not a lot else got done once home..

I'm back on the commute tomorrow so today will be strictly for recovery / hiding from the world so that will be all for the week at around 56 miles; the least I've done for a long time but probably still more than I'll manage in the winter.

Last edited:
No pictures sorry, I was too busy chatting.
A pretty much staple gravel ride from our group today but after weeks of dry and not predicted it rained first thing this morning which made things sloppy. Which is rather annoying as my much used portable Kaercher power washer was refusing to take charge last night, so it was a wipe down
:-1:
At least I use drip wax lube so it wasn't too bad a job after plenty of Mucoff. The route to Fineshade (https://groundscafe.uk/fineshade/) varied slightly but nothing we haven’t done before. On the way back we were going to take another bridleway but when we lifted our bikes over the gate one of my mates noticed a loose spoke so we came back by road.

Top Bottom