Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
A bit of a change today, Mrs ND joined me for a mainly off road ride, her first time out since we did the York Solar Cycle last month.
Not wanting to subject her to anything too taxing, heading out towards Garforth via Pendas Fields, Manston Lane and then the bridleway Nanny Goat Lane. Being the gentleman that I am I scooted ahead to open the gates on the bridleway so Mrs ND didn't have to stop and she did well on the off road bits.
Then down Barwick Road, where an older woman driver in a Peugeot decided to hang back on a straight bit of road, before lurching forward to overtake us both on the pinch point that is the single lane bridge over Cock Beck. Well done that woman...:wacko:

A left onto Ellis Lane, past the farm shop and onto the bridleway across Garforth Golf Club. Then a right onto Barnbow Lane back up to Manston Lane and retrace our steps back home.

8.94 miles (I know...) in 1hr 8 mins cycling at an average of 7.9 mph. More importantly it was good fun, Mrs ND enjoyed it and increased her confidence and has now pretty much got the hang of using her gears and coped admirably with some gentle off road cycling - so a good day all in.:okay:

Edit to add: if you're thinking of cycling on Barwick Road from Garforth it was "surface dressed" a few weeks ago and whilst the surface is generally OK, there were a lot of chippings being pinged up by passsing cars - fortunately none caught us, but its worth bearing in mind.

Last edited:

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
@ianrauk got there before me, because I fell asleep in front of the keyboard as I was about to write this ride up.
An epic, but a totally enjoyable one, despite the weather.
We were at least all dried out by 9 in the morning.
The last ten frustrating miles down the A10 into central London were, for me at least, more tiring than the 190 that preceded it.
Thank you all for sharing this ride and to @rb58 for leading.
208 on the clock for me today, and a new record.
The only other thing worth adding is that, yes, it was a long way, but the four refreshment stops at sensibly and regularly spaced intervals make all the difference to a ride of this length.

Last edited:

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
Had to perform my first ever (in over 2 years of cycling) roadside tube change this morning. Slammed a pothole at the foot of a hill I really fancied having a proper go at. Balls. :sad:

I was on the clock as it was, wanting to be home to watch the Tour, so six and a half miles was my lot today. Double balls. :sad: :sad:

Coming back into town, some chappie came up alongside and exhorted me to put the hammer down a bit. So I did and left him eating my dust. :wahhey:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
A great ride with the Glasgow Belles on Bikes today, @flyingfifi leading her first big ride. 56 miles for me, 66 for Fiona (we stay out of town), about 50 miles for another 20 Belles, they all did great considering we are no racers for sure, one had a 3 speed town bike, another a full sus mb ^_^
Our starting point, the Bells bridge in Glasgow
ride19.jpg Ride1 (640x409).jpg
Following NCR7, along Pollock Park, Paisley, Lochwinnoch, ending in the sleepy village of Kilbirnie. We were planning a lunch/coffee stop in the local Tesco superstore, but they did not have a coffee shop inside :eek: so we backtracked and had coffee at the Lochwinnoch visitor's centre instead.
The sun shone all the way there and back, while here in Glasgow the rains have been torrential I was told later ... he he ... :biggrin:
One chain came off, easily put back on, one puncture on Marathons (thank heaven not Mplus) that was a bit harder to fix, due to the tyre not cooperating. Some WV men were watching our pushing and pulling laughing their head off!
@Rasmus. isn't this one of your bikes? :laugh:
ride6.jpg
How many Belles does it take to change an inner tube???
ride18.jpg
A view of the Loch
ride8.jpg
Cycle path art
ride15.jpg ride12.jpg

Edit: every little helps ....
ride9.jpg ride10.jpg

13 rider

Guru
Hi all did you miss me havnt posted for two weeks as I've been on a family holiday in Cornwall and luckly I was allowed to take the bike took the hybrid due to its low gearing as I can confirm Cornwall is Hilly .Did quite at bit of early morning rides before the traffic down some interesting and challenging single track lanes . Watch out for the gravel on descents I hit a patch going slightly wide on a bend at 30 mph :eek: scared the life out of me took the descents easier after that . The two longer rides were firstly Padstow loop via Rock and a ferry crossing. Started out by cheating and driving to Padstow . Headed round the harbour to ferry point.
2015-07-18 08.22.16.jpg

Waiting for the ferry . After the short crossing to Rock the ride began heading up the estuary on quite lanes Went through the villages of Chapel Amble headed towards St Kew then turned right towards St Mabyn were I encountered my first proper climb 10 to 15 % for a mile of single lane road near the top a nice car driver pulled in and waited for me I apologised for being slow(5mph) as I crawled past. Headed to the village of Helland were an I met an arm of the camel trail followed this back to the car at Padstow 27.7 miles done at 12 mph .Enjoyed fish and chips at Rock Steins chip shop lovely .The second ride also involved a cheating start drove to Portreath .Followed the coast to coast trail mainly offroad to Deveron sounds epic but its 12 miles done in 54 mins .
2015-07-23 10.05.46.jpg
A refreshment establishment in Deveron . After a coffee break at the cycle hire place at Bisscoe I took some of the side loops of the main trail which were at bit more challenging and gave the hybrids suspension a good work out and I remembered why I bought a bike with suspension I really enjoyed the single track riding .
2015-07-23 11.04.41.jpg

A lovely quiet section through the woods on the Busy loop
2015-07-23 11.09.30.jpg

Came across an old tin mine also on the Busy loop. By doing the side loops I managed to avoid most of the people using the main trail as it does get busy with families etc. Back at Portreath the legs still felt good so decided to extend the ride and head out to Godreivy Point which meant leaving Portreath the hilly way . The hill includes a hairpin bend just like an alpine climb .This climb is now the worst climb Ive done as I thought it levelled out at the second bend rounded the bend to see the the road headed upward about half a mile later Id made it . then enjoyed the cliff top ride to Godreivy enjoying lovely views out to sea . Stopped at the cafe for a coffee and a sandwich then rode back to Portreath .36.8 miles at 14mph a really enjoyable if testing ride .

Last edited:

Gareth C

Veteran
Just had the bike serviced prior to Ride London-Surrey. Beautiful bling Lizard Skin bar tape, fixed spoke, re-cabled and new bottom bracket.

By way of checking it out, just went for a short ride around the forest today. Is every segment on Strava supposed to be a PB when you're on a taper? Anyhow, realistically, it was 10km out of the forest car park, so not really comparable with normal efforts when you've had to negotiate the hills to get there.

ScotiaLass

Guru
I've not posted for a while but have been going out, honest!
Today the youngest lad decided he wanted to come along - so I woke him and we were out by 8.30am. I think his system is still in shock :laugh:
I took the MTB after a disastrous ride the other day - glad I did because I felt fine. I think the fact I had already ridden 18 miles on the hybrid had been too much for me. After having FM for 8 years, I still don't heed my limitations!

We cycled along to Helix Park and then along the river bank to some woods, around those, and back through the park and home.
12 miles in all.
He is getting more confident on the bike but it's a rubbish second hand MTB we got, just incase he didn't take to it.
If he keeps it up I'll be looking for something better for him.

Anyway - some pics!

20150726_093539.png

There's usually herons etc along here, but we didn't spot any today!

20150726_092516.png

A piece of local artwork. It's meant to be a heart but everyone calls it a giant ass :laugh:

20150726_092540.png
20150726_092551.png

I suppose when you're 14, it has to be done!

2015-07-26 11.17.37.png

I just supervised....

20150726_092516.png

And took more pictures...

20150726_093925.png

Heading back towards Helix Park and the Kelpies

20150726_095154.png

We had to stop at the Lagoon....

20150726_095223.png

...because someone wanted to skim stones. Unfortunately they are pebbles so he didn't have much luck!

20150726_100500.png

Thistles on the path home

It was a lovely ride and it was nice to hear my boy speaking to strangers (he has Aspergers so isn't keen).
I always say thank-you etc to pedestrians when they move for me, or give them a 'good morning' as I pass.
The lad is now copying me, and I heard him quite a few times today, saying hello, good morning, or thank-you.
I am really proud of him!

Saluki

World class procrastinator
We didn't get back before the rain started. Due to our late start (I blame FB and crap TV that was on in the living room) we decided on a little 15 mile route, which I was determined to extend to 17 miles.

We headed off to Drayton, Horsford, St Faiths and then rode up a dead end road to see what was up there. Norwich Aviation Museum is up there. We rode back down the road and up the next one but turned left onto the Spixworth Road as the rain arrived and was coming in sideways. We rode down towards the Ring Road via various cycle paths and then Hubster decided that going home via the Ring Road was the way to go. I said "off you go then, your funeral". The ring road was as busy as any normal week day with trucks galore. I headed for Mile Cross and then down to Dereham Road and up the Bowthorpe Road and in to ours the back way. Safer and probably faster as there aren't traffic lights every 400 yards. Unsurprisingly, Hubster decided that my way was better. Probably shorter too.

I looped around the block to make up to 17 miles (.03) and the ride took an hour and 17mins. 3 areas of freshly re-gritted road, which was a pain. We were creeping along at about 8mph, rim deep in new chippings.
No pics today as it was just a horrible day, gloomy beyond gloom.

Last edited:
Top Bottom