Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dark46

Veteran
Well the last Eastgate club ride was interesting to say the very least. I arrived home abit late to make the ride. So I agreed to meet the ride as it passed close to the estate.

There were 6 in our inter chilled group and we were heading for hilly 30 mile ride up Slad Valley.

The ride on the A38 was quiet enough until we turned off towards Stonehouse and over the M5. As we were entering Standish the group got its first puncture. The wait seemed really long, it turns out it was a new guy and had no idea how to replace his tube. A couple of other groups past us whole we were waiting.

We got going and everything seemed fine as we entered Stonehouse and had to wait at the temp traffic lights at the road works. We seemed to be waiting for a while again, we left in single file into the High Street. At the end we turned left st the roundabout towards Cainscross. I looked round and notice there was only 3 of us. I pulled over almost immediately. Yet again I thought there was going a bit of a wait, as looking back there was no sign of any cyclists. The only people visible with the Stroud runners.

After what seemed a 1/4 hr wait the others turned up and it turns out that Dean had had a puncture this time.

Time at this time was waiting for noone and I was starting to wonder how far we were going to get done.

As usual there was a bit of banter between me and Dean. We set off through Cainscross were the roads really need resurfacing! Coming into Stroud I led everyone passed Halfrauds and to the start of the climb to Slad Valley. Going through the narrow part of the climb heading out into the countryside I heard a clattering. I thought god no not another broken spoke? I stopped to check front and back wheels and nothing. So I set off. At the rear after telling everyone to carry on.

I picked a gear and a pace as I usually do and as I know this is a 3 mile climb I didn't want to push too much. I was hoping that as there was a couple of newbies they might push too hard too early.

Slowly but gradually I caught Clare and at the brow caught the others. Just as it hit the top I started to feel uncomfortable. It was then I looked down and noticed my rear was going down. I started walking to the next junction ad there really wasn't somewhere safe to change a tube. As I was walking a couple of groups passed and shouted if I was ok? Yes I said. When I arrived Dean started with the piss taking!

Well deserved as this was the first ride with my slime tube, because of this I didn't have a pump or levers saving weight lol. Dean lent me his levers and when took the tyre off there was green slime everywhere inside. It was completely destroyed! So I launched it to Clare's dismay. But I was disgusted that my £10 tube had lasted less than one full ride! Once inflated and back on the bike we were off down through Cranham then down the A46. Where I set about getting to the front with Dean downhill into Barnwood and back into the centre of Gloucester.

The time was getting on so there was no time for the pub this time, so headed home gently.

I've now ordered some CO2 canisters and a control drive. Plus I've changed the 700x25 conti tyres for my 700x28 Schwalbe Duranos that was on my hybrid. As much as I've had no grip issues with the Conti's I've had 3 punctures since March.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Well the last Eastgate club ride was interesting to say the very least...... Just as it hit the top I started to feel uncomfortable. It was then I looked down and noticed my rear was going down......... I've had 3 punctures since March.

...... And all since you started two-timing us by riding around with that Eastgate lot ...Don't think any of them have happened on Kingsway rides, have they? Could it be Karma?
Hard luck though, bud. I've used Slimes for 7 years now, and only one solitary puncture so far. It strikes me as extremely bad luck to happen on your first ride.
All the best, Donger.

Renmurew

Veteran
Headed out this morning planning my longest run yet. I thought it would be nice to find a quiet spot for some well deserved jelly babies.

F4D56945-BCFA-4772-A20E-44552E44FFAC_zpscxftrsui.jpg

5F99AAC8-025D-4C2C-8C51-DA232F691655_zpshxcxegkf.jpg

14040EAD-3D1A-4924-8F3F-17F0AC807BBB_zpswh1k4ejy.jpg

All in I cycled 35.4 miles in 2hrs 51 mins. Had a lovely morning despite the monsoon that hit between Glamis and Kirriemuir.......still, I guess I should have expected that in July.
:cold:

Wendy

Goonerobes

Its okay to be white
Being struck down with a dose of manflu yesterday was not the best preparation for doing the Mega Meon Sportive, which I only booked on Wednesday because of the dodgy weather that was forecast, but hey-ho rule 5 & all that!

Setting off from the South Downs College in Waterlooville in sunny but chilly conditions the route wound its way through the South Downs & Meon Valley areas of Hampshire along almost entirely single track country lanes, which in itself was a bit tricky given that almost a months worth of rain had fallen on Friday & there was the constant "ping" of debris washed down onto the road surface from the banks & hedgerows & I don't think I've ever seen so many people with punctures.

Whilst there were no major climbs the rolling hills made for quite a tough ride with over 6200ft of going up & after 95 miles the 300 or so foot climb at Portsdown Hill was not particularly welcome despite the view at the top!

The 100.1 miles was only my second imperial ton but it did confirm that as much as I enjoy cycling I only have a six hour boredom threshold so I think I'll stick to 70-80 mile rides in future!

https://www.strava.com/activities/353747218

004.JPG

The rolling hills of the South Downs which made up the majority of todays route.
006.JPG

008.JPG

The view over Hampshires best city, Portsmouth!!

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Just over 100K for me today :smile:. Near perfect weather although the wind caught me later on in the ride.
As my family are away for a few weeks I had plenty of time and decided to cycle part of a route I had in my head to Sheffield. To be honest most people would cycle it the other way for the iconic climbs, but I wanted to see how I felt after doing three quarters or so, prior to doing the whole thing at some point in the next couple of weeks. I also having done Winnats have no desire to do it again. In fact I would actively avoid it. :blush:
Anyway headed up to Chapel en le Frith then climbed up Rushup Edge Past Edale and Mam Tor and then descended down Winnats. Knowing there had been a fatality there last year I took it very easy. Probably a good idea with all the holidaymakers, sheep and cars on the pass. I hope the TOB ride it in a neutral way this year, which I suspect they will.
Then headed out through Castleton Hope and cut through to Snake Pass just before Hathersage. I know some people aren't keen on the Snake but surrounded by pine trees on a long draggy climb on a :sun: sunny day was about as close as you are going to get to the alps in England.
A brisk headwind heading back towards Glossop which increased as I crested the climb. I love descending and the Snake into Glossop is a good long one with plenty of turns. From Glossop headed over to Charlesworth, Marple Bridge, Marple and then home. Couldn't have timed it better watched the exiting bit of the TDF on plus 1.

media?size=l.jpg

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
215 of your Imperial Miles. Leaving Doncaster Station at the stroke of midnight. myself, @rb58 , @CharlieB (Red Cables n'all), @Mark Grant , @martint235 and Sandra not from this place, headed south.. to home.

We were lucky for a while in that the weather was quite mild, dry and with a fabulous tailwind. It was like that for the first 3 hours. But then the heavens opened and for the next 5 hours proceeded to drizzle down upon us. It could have been quite miserable, but being so mild and the tailwind pushing us along at a rate of knots, hearts were not disheartened. At 8am the drizzle stopped, the sun was peeking through the clouds and it was warming up quite nicely. The tailwind was still pushing us along... it was a pleasurable day to ride. Plenty of wildlife. Rabbits, Hares, Hedgehogs (mostly dead ones) & Kestrels.

Through the night & day the roads were bereft of motor vehicles which meant for rapid progress for the group. By the time we had reached the London burbs, the traffic & traffic lights caused us all sorts of frustrations and delayed bother.. most upsetting. But we all got to London in one piece.

A great night/days cycling, despite the rain

240715.jpg

Doncaster.. just before the off
20150724_235619.jpg

Some lovely country rolling roads and great views
20150725_131624.jpg

Long Martin
20150725_131819.jpg

Sandra
20150725_131817.jpg

Charlie B
20150725_131609.jpg

My mug..and Martins
20150725_092446.jpg

Awesome ride, awesome company....

Simontm

Veteran
Bit embarrassing following @ianrauk marathon run, but a wee 22 miler today as I e still got to commute till Wednesday and am tapering off for Ride London.
Anyway, Kingston, Richmond, Kew back round through Brentford, Twickenham, then a circuit of Bushy Park with some deer for company
image.jpg image.jpg
Down the tow path to Hampton Court then home

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Bit embarrassing following @ianrauk marathon run, but a wee 22 miler today as I e still got to commute till Wednesday and am tapering off for Ride London.
Anyway, Kingston, Richmond, Kew back round through Brentford, Twickenham, then a circuit of Bushy Park with some deer for company
View attachment 97662 View attachment 97663
Down the tow path to Hampton Court then home

A rides a ride... :okay: Looks like you had just as good time riding as I did, and that's all that matters.

Mike_P

Guru
Thanks to a couple of mountain bikers popping out of the woods I finally today found a route through Harrogates Pine Woods. To make it more interesting the route was lined in part with scarecrows, one actually being a crow which is a bit novel
Pinewoods2.jpg

And a selection of the others
pinewoods1.jpg
pinewoods3.jpg
pinewoods4.jpg
pinewoods5.jpg
pinewoods6.jpg
pinewoods7.jpg

A while back I posted a picture of (Great) Almscliffe Crag. This is Little Almscliffe
Littlalmsford.jpg

The approaching clouds looked a bit iffy but then as they did not burst until I was back home in the shower.
weather.jpg

Unfortunately the camera then threw a wobbly and failed to save its recording of much of the ride, a relatively gentle decent into one of Nidderdales side valleys then along a lane which according the sign was 1 in 7 downwards but Strava reckons part of it is 18%, think I will skip on doing the route in reverse.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Well, the intention was to do a longer ride today but the chat was so good at the coffe brake that instead of the usual 30 - 40 minutes brake, today was 90 minutes :smile:

Then on the way back I was faced with this view
20150725_131401.jpg

So I stopped for lunch and ..... a short siesta under the sun :smile: then I run out of time so I rushed home lol.

I only managed 38 miles but I had lots of fun today :smile:

Picked bike up from guy who serviced it (was away a whole two weeks, devastated:ohmy:). Anyway, was well worth it as achieved my highest avg speed ever (dont worry Bradley, was still below 14mph lol) but well, well chuffed, after all I was just taking it easy riding it home from the shop, never expected any Strava trophies et but got 7. Need to get is serviced every week now :-)
upload_2015-7-25_21-15-44.png

Buck

Guru
Today I set off for another ride with a view to pushing the distance (I'm new to road cycling so 20 miles is my previous best!).

I started off on my usual ride out of the village and up the hill onto the tops. From there I headed towards Holme Moss more as a focal point than anything. Before I knew it I was in the village of Holme and my "what's around the corner?" Instinct kicked in.

I got to the bottom of Holme Moss and thought, I'll give it a go. If I can't do it, I'll just turn around. Anyways, a couple of stops on the way up (yes! I am unfit!) including one to sort my rear dérailleur which wouldn't go into my easiest gear (just when I needed it!) got me to the top of Holme Moss!
I stopped for fluids and a snack before heading down and then mistakenly deciding to take a left turn past Digley reservoir which after Holme Moss was very tough and to be honest a bit much for me (lesson learned there!)
A return down into Holmfirth then a long steady climb up to home finished the ride with my best distance so far and a sense of satisfaction to offset the weary legs :smile:

Big respect to the guys that make it look so easy!

https://www.strava.com/activities/353590812

image.jpg

Last edited:

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
215 of your Imperial Miles. Leaving Doncaster Station at the stroke of midnight. myself, @rb58 , @CharlieB (Red Cables n'all), @Mark Grant , @martint235 and Sandra not from this place, headed south.. to home.

We were lucky for a while in that the weather was quite mild, dry and with a fabulous tailwind. It was like that for the first 3 hours. But then the heavens opened and for the next 5 hours proceeded to drizzle down upon us. It could have been quite miserable, but being so mild and the tailwind pushing us along at a rate of knots, hearts were not disheartened. At 8am the drizzle stopped, the sun was peeking through the clouds and it was warming up quite nicely. The tailwind was still pushing us along... it was a pleasurable day to ride. Plenty of wildlife. Rabbits, Hares, Hedgehogs (mostly dead ones) & Kestrels.

Through the night & day the roads were bereft of motor vehicles which meant for rapid progress for the group. By the time we had reached the London burbs, the traffic & traffic lights caused us all sorts of frustrations and delayed bother.. most upsetting. But we all got to London in one piece.

A great night/days cycling, despite the rain

View attachment 97643

Doncaster.. just before the off
View attachment 97644

Some lovely country rolling roads and great views
View attachment 97645

Long Martin
View attachment 97646

Sandra
View attachment 97647

Charlie B
View attachment 97648

My mug..and Martins
View attachment 97649

Awesome ride, awesome company....
Chapeau to all who completed this epic ride........wish i could do 215miles and only 2000+ft of climbing

Today I set off for another ride with a view to pushing the distance (I'm new to road cycling so 20 miles is my previous best!).

I started off on my usual ride out of the village and up the hill onto the tops. From there I headed towards Holme Moss more as a focal point than anything. Before I knew it I was in the village of Holme and my "what's around the corner?" Instinct kicked in.

I got to the bottom of Holme Moss and thought, I'll give it a go. If I can't do it, I'll just turn around. Anyways, a couple of stops on the way up (yes! I am unfit!) including one to sort my rear dérailleur which wouldn't go into my easiest gear (just when I needed it!) got me to the top of Holme Moss!
I stopped for fluids and a snack before heading down and then mistakenly deciding to take a left turn past Digley reservoir which after Holme Moss was very tough and to be honest a bit much for me (lesson learned there!)
A return down into Holme Moss then a long steady climb up to home finished the ride with my best distance so far and a sense of satisfaction to offset the weary legs :smile:

Big respect to the guys that make it look so easy!

https://www.strava.com/activities/353590812
It never gets easier, just quicker:okay:

Top Bottom