Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
No, I've checked the calendar. It's definitely still summer and it's raining. Therefore...

That was yesterday, and maybe tomorrow.

upload_2015-7-24_18-42-3.png

It does seem to have stopped raining here.

Billy Wizz

Über Member
16 miles of torrential rain,tow path grit, cobbles ,shiny manhole covers and London traffic.

My commute home from Pickets Lock to Woolwich Arsenal,was epic.

I left work around 4 30pm in absolute torrential rain thinking this cannot last long, got on to the tow path at Pickets Lock, all the over hanging trees were lower than usual due to the weight of the rain rode the first three miles resembling a crab, eventually past the Olympic Park and still on the towpath came up into London at Bow,
Down the bus lane and then forced onto the pavement by the rush for the Blackwell Tunnel, slipped through the side streets across to Canning Town, going down Silvertown Way which is usually a nice freewheel was wet, my trusty Berghaus had given up miles ago and i was soaked, past caring and just concentrating on the traffic which apart from the occasional giant spash was well behaved, into North Woolwich through the foot tunnel out the other side of the Thames and into a headwind, it still pouring down,eventually pulls up outside my digs, a sign on the bin "we could not empty your bin today due to wrong kind of waste"?

Anyway i would have never let my dog out in that rain today,i would never have dream t of going out on a bike in that weather,but in a strange kind of way i enjoyed it one for the memory bank.:eek:

Roll on tomorrow North wales, my roadbike and a long weekend.

U

User19783

16 miles of torrential rain,tow path grit, cobbles ,shiny manhole covers and London traffic.

My commute home from Pickets Lock to Woolwich Arsenal,was epic.

I left work around 4 30pm in absolute torrential rain thinking this cannot last long, got on to the tow path at Pickets Lock, all the over hanging trees were lower than usual due to the weight of the rain rode the first three miles resembling a crab, eventually past the Olympic Park and still on the towpath came up into London at Bow,
Down the bus lane and then forced onto the pavement by the rush for the Blackwell Tunnel, slipped through the side streets across to Canning Town, going down Silvertown Way which is usually a nice freewheel was wet, my trusty Berghaus had given up miles ago and i was soaked, past caring and just concentrating on the traffic which apart from the occasional giant spash was well behaved, into North Woolwich through the foot tunnel out the other side of the Thames and into a headwind, it still pouring down,eventually pulls up outside my digs, a sign on the bin "we could not empty your bin today due to wrong kind of waste"?

Anyway i would have never let my dog out in that rain today,i would never have dream t of going out on a bike in that weather,but in a strange kind of way i enjoyed it one for the memory bank.:eek:

Roll on tomorrow North wales, my roadbike and a long weekend.
Thanks for your ride reports,
It brings back a lot memories.
I miss that area of London ,
I use to live near the West Ham tube station, Back in the late 80s and early 90s,
I love to go back one day, just to see how much it's all change.

Billy Wizz

Über Member
Thanks for your ride reports,
It brings back a lot memories.
I miss that area of London ,
I use to live near the West Ham tube station, Back in the late 80s and early 90s,
I love to go back one day, just to see how much it's all change.

You should go back, London is a monster but it is addictive to some, i have been here 3.5 years another 4 year contract and if i survive the commute i am sure i will leave with fond memories.

Mike_P

Guru
Yesterdays ride which nearly ended up no too good due a right turning car driver seeming to not to see me
close1.jpg

Despite approaching cyclist dog finds metal barrier more interesting on NCN67 than surrounding trees! Bilton viaduct over the River Nidd lies beyond on the section of the NCN that uses the former Harrogate-Ripon railway the reopening of which has long been proposed since HM The Queen was the last passenger on it.
67 dog.jpg

No quite certain now steep NCN67 gets on the track it uses west of Ripley , Strava claims 5.3% as a continuous gradient but it levels out before climbing again and the combination of rough surface, pot holes and looking straight into the low sun make it a very interesting ride in the evening. The 4.9 miles of NCN67 west/north/east of Ripley climbs 579ft whereas to get to the same point by B / C roads is just 2.4 miles with 256ft of climbing. In the opposite direction its 381ft compared to 70ft.
67 holly.jpg

In contrast this is the newly resurfaced lane I referred to a while back, the delight of a smooth ride and the front wheel not bouncing all over the place
new surf.jpg

Last edited:

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
No it hasn't.

Just in case anyone was wondering:

upload_2015-7-24_22-11-41.png

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Out the door by 5.45 Am this morning and set of for a 25 mile ride with a choice of routes. So up and out of the boro along to Harrowden quickly followed by Orlingbury .
WP_20150725_001.jpg

Onwards towards the red house cross roads and down in to Hannington and then along a new to me road that took me to Walgrave
WP_20150725_002.jpg
WP_20150725_003.jpg

Climbed up through the village and then down to Holcot where the sellers were starting to cue up at the car boot.

A nice gentle climb and across the main road towards Sywell village and then on towards Mears Ashby.
WP_20150725_004.jpg

Then onwards to earls Barton and along to the Hardwater cross roads and down into Wilby.
WP_20150725_006.jpg

Back towards Mears Ashby for a quick ride around the outskirts of the village before heading home.
WP_20150725_007.jpg

All in all a great ride

A short two mile ride to buy beer from the local convenience store. The one mile climb back to base has shrunk since experiencing the Cascades.

I took longer than expected for the journey because I was distracted by this car parked outside of the store.
View attachment 97509

It attracted a lot of attention and universal approval from everyone who walked by.

A nice little Model B roadster

SteveF

Did a 53k circular route taking in Rainham Marshes and the Ingrebourne valley, pretty windy out there today especially over the marshes!
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/843814767

A view of the QE2 bridge from the marshes:
WP_20150725_10_53_05_Pro.jpg

Not sure these will be going anywhere in the near future:
WP_20150725_11_06_57_Pro.jpg

Modern art isn't for everyone, though I quite liked him:
WP_20150725_11_07_03_Pro.jpg

Hmmm... now this is supposed to be a cycle path!... wet feet time..:sad:
WP_20150725_11_32_29_Pro.jpg

All in all I quite enjoyed it, even with the wind...

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Just a short one for a short one!

My little legs must have been tired after last nights circuit training as I wasn't feeling the love today. I set out in arm warmers, in July! What's that all about. They came off after 20 mins.

The wind was good fun in places, but just not strong enough to blow the cobwebs from my legs.

http://www.strava.com/activities/353606538

Top Bottom