Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A few pics from today's ride - after the rain had given up. I'll dedicate this one to my Grandfather and let the pictures do the talking. I'm not in the mood right now.

IMG_3813.JPG

Cheshire lanes, saving on white paint - grass and cracks do the job.

IMG_3814.JPG

Just a nice view behind

IMG_3815.JPG

Something colourful for the photo comp!

IMG_3818.JPG

The trike getting lost in the colours which match my flag exactly!

IMG_3828.JPG

One must have escaped!

IMG_3832.JPG

A little of the view behind me as I start the climb up to the New Pale (hill top name).

33.6km https://www.strava.com/activities/362747105

Not so sunny today and definitely more windy. Rode over to Deal as I wanted to visit the Fowlmead centre. Just turned up, rode onto the track and started some circuits. A tads bland, but good if you're looking to increase your fitness without the worry of motorised vehicles!
Returned home having done 60 miles. Enjoyable!

A few pics from today's ride - after the rain had given up. I'll dedicate this one to my Grandfather and let the pictures do the talking. I'm not in the mood right now.

View attachment 99135

View attachment 99136
Just a nice view behind

View attachment 99137

View attachment 99138

View attachment 99139
One must have escaped!

View attachment 99140
A little of the view behind me as I start the climb up to the New Pale (hill top name).

Nice pictures.

13 rider

Guru
After last night strava segment chasing ride I decided on a more relaxed ride tonight . Home from work sun shining so out with the bike . Off to Newtown Linford and turned left to Groby a road I had not rode before into Groby and headed to Ratby .passed a gang of mountain bikers headed for Martinshaw woods .Into Ratby and went right to Markfield . Up Markfield under the M1then right at the top any headed back to Newtown Linford via the lovely downhill of Markfield Lane although I wasnt trying still did a or on this segment ^_^ 10.3 miles Done at 16.2 mph in glorious sunshine loads of cyclist out tonight everyone enjoying the sunshine

theloafer

Legendary Member
talked myself into my cycling kit today after 14 days off (no mojo):ohmy: my planned route aborted as got to Darlington and realised I had forgotten to take any cash :wacko:..so returned home, and then decided to go and see no1 son as I had a b/day card to drop off for one of my grandkids ^_^ at West Auckland (bandit country) :laugh:...then returned the scenic route to Spennymoor and then Ferryhill just over 41 miles ^_^.

https://www.strava.com/activities/362635200

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I've not been out on either bike for a couple of nights, due to work getting in the way of my life...however, I got finished somewhere near my "normal" time and was pondering about a ride out on the journey home. Then I saw something I've never seen before - a recumbent tandem - well the front rider was 'recumbent', the one at the back was in a more traditional stance heading in the opposite direction. Was that you heading into Leeds on the A64?
Anyway, suitably inspired I decided to take the road bike out for a pre-tea spin. I decided on the road bike as 1) I haven't been out on it since last Friday and 2) I still haven't cleaned the hybrid after Mondays mudfest. :whistle:
A spin up on local roads then down to Cross Gates and up Austhorpe Road onto Manston Lane where there is that route I'm still trying to set a good time on. Head down, all lycra'd up and as aerodynamic as I'm going to get, pedaling like a dervish and feeling really positive - then blooming roadworks and temporary traffic light stopped me in my tracks. Lights changed and got going again, pushing as hard as I could but the damage was done. The really annoying bit is that those roadworks have been there for a week now - how long does it take Yorkshire Water to put the road surface back after they've fixed a minor leak???
Anyhow, turned round at the end of Manston Lane and motored back in a stiff headwind and up onto Pendas Fields and decided to loop round via Pendas Way and try again - after all I couldn't possibly be unlucky enough to hit the lights at red again on such a quiet road, could I?
Yes I could...:cursing:
A truck pulled up behind me at the lights and I decided I'd let him go when the lights changed, but he insisted that I go first (thank you Mr Longs of Leeds :thumbsup:). I got going again but baled out at the next turning - the damage to a quick time had been done already so I turned up onto Pendas Fields and blasted down to Barwick Road and then up to home.

8.53 miles in 34m 8s at an average of 15.0mph - all good after a few nights off and I've improved my average speed again (slightly).

Beats watching Hollyoaks, doesn't it? ;) I think I might need to try a different route at the time of day though. With tea waiting for me at home it probably isn't the best idea to cycle past a chip shop, an Indian restaurant, an Indian Takeaway and then a Chinese takeaway - all of which smelled blooming lovely!

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
First commuting ride of the week for me. My legs ached Monday & Tuesday for some reason :whistle: and I couldn't find the motivation on Wednesday so to try and make up for it a bit got out a little early and took the scenic way into work.

The route was to Condover and Acton Burnell, then down the lanes to Cressage and turning north again through Eyton and Wroxeter. It had rained overnight but was pleasantly warm making for conditions that I like a lot as the countryside seems so fresh. No incident to report, just a pleasant 18 mile ride with a tailwind finish.^_^

The return trip wasn't bad either. I was tempted by using the short route home but there was an unusual amount of traffic on the road outside work (possibly people trying alternative ways round after a serious crash north of Wellington) so I discounted that quite quickly and took the usual quieter way skirting the edge of Attingham Park instead.

Spotted a friend of my sister who was out on her electric bike - she has been ill for a few years and has been using an electric wheelchair for mobility but relatively recently found that she is able to ride an electric bike which is getting her out more and seems to be helping her health. :okay:

28.2 miles for the round trip today, 14.1 mph average. Quite quick using the knockabout bike. Happy with that.

Tomorrow's forecast looks like being one of, if not the calmest of the year so far. I think the Raleigh will get some use.^_^

Last edited:

Garry A

Calibrating.....
Went for a pedal around the River Forth today. Headed over the Kincardine bridge and along the Fife coastal path loosely following sustrans 76. Found a lot of stretches of 76 that really weren't suitable for anything other than MTB and there were more road bike friendly alternatives nearby. Some nice wee towns along the coast. Over the Forth road bridge and back west via South Queensferry, Blackness, Bo'ness and some very hilly farm roads. 45 miles in no great hurry.

https://www.strava.com/activities/362596794
IMG_20150806_133830481.jpg
IMG_20150806_124449094_HDR.jpg
IMG_20150806_133816323_HDR.jpg
IMG_20150806_142245891.jpg

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It looks like you do the same thing as me with your phone ... I found similar little dents in the case of my phone and wondered what they were, then I realised that I had been riding along holding the phone in my teeth! (I wanted to take a picture, but decided that I needed to be 100 metres up the road and couldn't be bothered to put the phone away and then get it back out again.)

It looks like you do the same thing as me with your phone ... I found similar little dents in the case of my phone and wondered what they were, then I realised that I had been riding along holding the phone in my teeth! (I wanted to take a picture, but decided that I needed to be 100 metres up the road and couldn't be bothered to put the phone away and then get it back out again.)
It's a side effect of being on crutches. I run out of hands and when my pockets are full, my teeth are the only thing left :whistle:

:laugh: its the only thing left to do really! Still it protects the phone and gives it that used look :laugh:

Katherine

Guru

View attachment 99135

View attachment 99136
Just a nice view behind

View attachment 99137

View attachment 99138

View attachment 99139
One must have escaped!

View attachment 99140

I see you take "Naked" snacks out with you, I take them as back up for longer rides as they are easy to digest and don't make you feel uncomfortable when you are cycling.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Yesterdays ride, as per usual..
After completing my chores in the morning, I took the CX along some of the local tracks and canal banks to Gaydon Marina as far as Blisworth before cutting back onto tarmac for several miles to Courteenhall and Quinton.

DSC_1821.JPG

Under a bridge on the Grand Union canal, with the old Express Lift Tower in the background.

DSC_1837.JPG

Gayton Junction, on the Blisworth Arm of the Grand Union canal. Lovely place to ride through, and quite busy with boats and barges at the moment.

IMG_20150806_162229.jpg

Sadly, I didn't have much money with me, but if I see the cheese boat again I'll flag it down and purchase my cheesy comestibles, fear ye not!
The next boat along was the Fudge Boat... Not keen on fudge though!

Once nearer to home, I cut across the fields to some rather lumpy bridleways that bounced the CX about a bit..

DSC_1852.JPG

One of the old bridges across a Nene tributary, just before a nettle strewn track. I managed to only catch one lash across my ankle so it was better than usual!

IMG_20150806_185651.jpg

I stopped at the shop by some ancient stocks in Houghton to grab a can of Pepsi as it was quite warm and I'd emptied my water bottle a while earlier.

Back home on 31 enjoyable miles, even with the surprisingly brisk headwind on the way out.

https://www.strava.com/activities/362577141

:smile:

I see you take "Naked" snacks out with you, I take them as back up for longer rides as they are easy to digest and don't make you feel uncomfortable when you are cycling.
Yep - they are dairy free which is what I need being (anaphylactic shock) allergic to milk proteins so all the usual is out. I have also just found out that Wiggle have started to stock them (at a sensible price) as do Amazon (sometimes sensible and sometimes not) as well as buying them direct where you can get the short dated ones which is what I do and usually pick them up at between 33-50p a bar, never more.
Wiggle also have some additional dairy free ones which I had not come across before, so I have just placed an order several other makes as well... the delivery is due today which should make my next few rides interesting in the culinary sense!

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
My Run Today.

Now that the Ride London Surrey 100 is over and done with, my next goal is to run my first half marathon. I hope you don't mind if I post my results and maps up, posting my reports here in some strange way sort of motivates me to get out and run, I ain't a big fan of running me. The half marathon is in October a week before my 58 birthday, the first half marathon I will have ever done, apart from eating whole ones before the became Snickers. ( what a stupid name for a chocolate bar Snickers, Marathon was a much better name).

Anyway..3.5 miles today, up and down the track, my splits for the first 3 miles were the quickest I've done so far. when I started running at the beginning of the year I couldn't run a mile in under ten minutes, (actually I couldn't RUN a mile, I had to walk some of it) so I am getting quicker.

Running.jpg

BSRU

A Human Being
A surprisingly hard:sweat: 123km with 1200m of going up, not too quick either:sad:.
After about 20km came across a closed road on my route with a diversion that would have taken me onto the A419:eek:.
Fortunately one of the workers told me how to avoid the closed road without the need for using the A419 on a road not suitable to be used as a car diversion as it was single track:okay:.
C0010(1a).jpg

Started off warm and got warmer, much warmer, almost ran out of liquid refreshment:sweat:.
C0014(1).jpg
C0015(1).jpg

Started recovery with 2 pints of Ribena, mugs of tea and scotch pancakes^_^.

Top Bottom