Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

toffee

Guru
Slow ride out to the coast today. Stopped for a few looks out to sea. Back home tomorrow, then depending on the weather next week, we could be knocking up a few miles.

_20150821_120737.JPG

Last edited:
https://www.strava.com/activities/373992262

A nice little jolly in the sun, with a new tactic employed, to deal with the 'hero' (yet again). Essentially let the silly little arse of a man sit in front, going a lot slower than you were before you sat up to take a swig from the drinks bottle, and he broke his aorta trying to get by, and then slowed down so suddenly, he nearly caused a pile up, then sit an inch from his rear wheel, ringing the pound shop bell, you've attached to your bars for a giggle, and shout "come on, I thought you were in a hurry, move it, move it move it, get a wriggle on, I haven't got all day, come on, Cadence, cadence man, POWER, you can do it, let's be 'avin ya". It really seems to pee them off, and it's far more fun than re passing them and dropping them like a bad habit:smile:.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

:thumbsup:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Just go! Get a bit wet, so what, it's not cold. As long as you can keep moving and don't hang around in your wet gear. You'll feel better for a ride.

Hate it when it is raining or has been raining. No fun. Not bothered if it rains after I set out as that's a cest la vie moment.

Can't stand the low visibility with road spray and crapped up glasses plus the general filth that you get covered with on the wet lanes up here.

The muddy bits around farms get very slippery too and I don't like 'offs'!

I am a fair weather rider for sure. :smile:

D

Deleted member 1258

I've got my tourer with me this week, which has wide tyres (1.75" - they look like balloons to a skinny road guy like me!) that almost call out for canal towpaths, so I decided to put them to good use last night. I'd planned a trip up to Birmingham (from Coventry) to explore the fascinating network of canals there, but with gathering grey clouds at 4pm I decided on something more local.

I took a meandering path down to Leamington first of all, and used the cycle path from Warwick Uni to Kenilworth, which goes across fields and then intersects with an old railway route that may one day form part of HS2 (though I persoanlly have my doubts). I looked for, but missed, a path across the river Avon at Old Milverton, but then from Leamington I took the Grand Union canal towpath eastwards, almost to Napton Junction, which was about 9 miles. The towpath was a mix of gravel and grass, and I passed loads of narrow boats with people setting up barbecues or just sitting out and chilling, that made me quite envious!

Only 29 miles in all, but at a stately average speed of only 10.5 mph.

cycle path, Warwick University to Kenilworth
View attachment 101048 View attachment 101049

Grand Union canal near Leamington
View attachment 101050

I've been cycling round the Coventry area for over 25 years and I've never explored the canal tow paths, perhaps when I retire and have plenty of time on my hands I'll acquaint myself with them. I haven't used the uni path before either, its been a while since it was finished now and I've haven't explored it yet.

Long-ish ride home yesterday almost curtailed by bad cramp going in to Haddenham;recovered after a bit and carried on to at least get over 80k.Cramp possibly caused by bashing it early and saddle being a touch too high(been messing with bike position lately) and was much better after I lowered the saddle a bit;will have to see how it is on tomorrows club ride.

https://www.strava.com/activities/373431417

Was going to do the Strave 145k fondo but got held up at work so not really enough time to do it;may try again Saturday or if not next week.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've been cycling round the Coventry area for over 25 years and I've never explored the canal tow paths, perhaps when I retire and have plenty of time on my hands I'll acquaint myself with them. I haven't used the uni path before either, its been a while since it was finished now and I've haven't explored it yet.
I was thinking the same.

I have a cousin in Kenilworth who might like to cycle to Coventry to see my sister but he is nervous in traffic so that path might be of interest to him. I would have to work out if there is a suitable quiet route to the Moseley Avenue area from the university.

toffee

Guru
Are you home sick?
Looks like you have either drawn the UK map there or someone kneeling down reaching out across the coast ;)
:biggrin:
Not home sick, although summer has arrived here today and we are off back home tomorrow. If the weather is not too bad there should be a few more posts in here next week.

Detek

robjh

Legendary Member
Both of them were a first for me too last night, although I have ridden the final bit of the path into Kenilworth where it goes into the railway cutting and through woods, and that's the best bit. I'm still hoping to get up to Birmingham in the next few weeks - I did the towpaths from Gas Street basin up to Wolverhampton and down to Kings Norton a while back and they make for interesting rides.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have ridden the final bit of the path into Kenilworth where it goes into the railway cutting and through woods, and that's the best bit.
Kenilworth Common - I was born in a house across the road from there and used to play on the common as a child!

I used to watch steam trains going down the line between Coventry and Kenilworth in the early 1960s but we moved to Coventry in 1963.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Today's ride was with my 7 yr old granddaughter on the new 20" wheel bike we bought her last week.

We got our bikes loaded onto the car and drove to Salcey Forest. I really had to think how to get there by road, as I nearly always ride there over the fields and bridleways. I doubt my Punto would do mud very well!!

As expected, it was quite busy, but most of the folk don't venture far from the car park, tree top walk or the Gruffalo Trail, so once we were clear of those bits, the path was quite clear for us.

IMG_20150821_173734.jpg

I didn't notice her poking her tongue out until now.. Kids, eh!?! :laugh:

After the 4.5 mile circuit, we were back to the car park where I was hailed by a couple of friends stuffing cake down their faces after riding via the canal banks and villages from Northampton. We had a chat while Faith messed around in the play area for half an hour before needing a lolly to cool her down.
She then asked if we could ride round again! No problem, said I, and off we went.

IMG_20150821_173845.jpg

Whoosh! The only time she gets a bit worried is when she sees dogs bounding around (sensible, as they can have you off the bike quite easily) and when the track narrows and has nettles alongside. Apart from that, she's an extremely confident rider.

We stopped for sustenance half way round at a bench on the second lap and tucked into some snack bars etc. and a yoghurt drink before doing the last couple of miles back to the car park where she just had the energy left to ask if she could go in the play area again! And why not.. :okay:

Salcey.png

9.1 miles ridden, Faiths longest ride ever. She says she wants to join me on the L2B one day..

After staying for dinner, she rode home, (I walked/jogged alongside) with a few slight diversions, to the swings in the park, so finished the day on about 10 miles.
Happy days

:smile:

D

Deleted member 1258

I was thinking the same.

I have a cousin in Kenilworth who might like to cycle to Coventry to see my sister but he is nervous in traffic so that path might be of interest to him. I would have to work out if there is a suitable quiet route to the Moseley Avenue area from the university.

From the Gibbit Hill crossroads into Earlsdon theres a cycle path that runs alongside the Kennilworth road, theres a lot of quiet back roads in Earlsdon, in Spon end the Arches industrial Estate has a path that brings you out behind Morrrisons on the Alvis Retail Park on the Holyihead Rd. If you go down Sovereign Road theres a path that runs between the rugby ground and the park and a pedestrian crossing the crosses the Butts and into Upper Spon Street, into Baras Lane and up the top theres a pedestrian crossing to cross the Holyhead Road to continue on Baras Lane.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Out at 8ish this morning feeling a bit crap, we've all had a bit of lurgy this week. So with leaden legs I made my way in the early morning sun to Knapwell, then onto Elsworth and up the hill

image.jpg

It's all golden fields here at the minute.
Onward along the smooth road to Hilton and a left for Graveley, a quick 100yds up Ermine street and turn left again in a SW direction, just a touch of headwind today.
On past the stands of giant hogweed and up the short hill into the village.
Left again and past the wind farm

image.jpg

Nothing turning today other than my legs!

Across the A428 and through Croxton. And on to Great Gransden where they were getting the bales in

image.jpg

I decided to go up the 2 hills into Kingston and back down to rejoin the road I'd just left ( the reason why I've christened it pointless hill) a bloke went along maybe 100yds in front. I was gaining on him by Toft and on the long drag up to Hardwick I was on his wheel, I pulled level "I might as well be sociable and not just look at your arse..." My chat up line clearly worked and we had a nice chat coming back up to the village before I turned off for home

http://www.strava.com/activities/374601137

Top Bottom