Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Mrs Dave was at the WI SHOW in Harrogate today, so I took my bike up Wharfedale. Not been up this dale for about 10 years and in my minds eye the road was flat....
Less than a mile from the car and I'm almost seeing double due to the effort it took to get up what is probably a tiny slope round these parts, but I needed warming up as it was a touch chilly. At Barden tower I went right to go to Appletreewick, I could see the purple heather glowing on the distant moors.
Past the Craven Arms, the best pub in he univers and on to Burnsall, all chocolate boxy in the morning sun. The road to Grassington gave me a good workout, scabious, bloody cranesbill and meadow cranesbill cheering more along. At Grassington I took the road for Kettlewell, passing through Kilnsey they were dismantling the agricultural show. There were no climbers on the crags.
View attachment 102625

On I went and breezed through Kettlewell, now the headwind was ramping up, it was quite testing. The pub in Starbotton was shut, it was last time I was here!

I turned off left for Hubberholme and although the wind was still in my face I had a massive smile as the roads were smooth, pretty and quiet!
View attachment 102628
View attachment 102630
View attachment 102631

I returned to Kettlewell and stopped for tea and cake, the service was a bit poor!
View attachment 102632
Once back at the car I'd done just over 40 miles, I always love Yorkshire when I come up here.... Should do it more often!

https://www.strava.com/activities/384811575

View attachment 102633

Totally jealous! The pictures just make me want to be there.
The Craven Arms is a lovely pub indeed - but I think the Farmers Arms in Muker, Swaledale is equally good.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Totally jealous! The pictures just make me want to be there.
The Craven Arms is a lovely pub indeed - but I think the Farmers Arms in Muker, Swaledale is equally good.

One for the list....

Mrs Dave was at the WI SHOW in Harrogate today, so I took my bike up Wharfedale. Not been up this dale for about 10 years and in my minds eye the road was flat....
Less than a mile from the car and I'm almost seeing double due to the effort it took to get up what is probably a tiny slope round these parts, but I needed warming up as it was a touch chilly. At Barden tower I went right to go to Appletreewick, I could see .......

I'm not surprised that you were seeing double. That steep bit up from Barden Bridge towards Appletreewick was what convinced me 2 weeks ago that I needed a smaller granny ring on my triple to go with the 12-36 on the back... Must go back now with the 26T and try it again.^_^

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I'm not surprised that you were seeing double. That steep bit up from Barden Bridge towards Appletreewick was what convinced me 2 weeks ago that I needed a smaller granny ring on my triple to go with the 12-36 on the back... Must go back now with the 26T and try it again.^_^

Must admit that I'd forgotten...I kind of remember valley bottom, following the river!
28mph to 8 mph in 20'. I've gone soft living in Cambs!

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Because it (The Farmers Arms in Muker) serves Askrigg Brewery golden bitter on draught. Magic. I had to go and find the offy in Askrigg to stock up on the bottle conditioned variety to take home with me......

Yes an old cow shed (or similar) in Askrigg - looks very unlike a brewery but produces very good beer!

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Nice early morning 25 miler for me today out of the borough along to Sywell ,Overstone where it looks like a VW festival or do is happening at the car boot site , along and down to Billing (no sewage smell today) then up towards Brafield on the Green before turning towards Cogenhoe and then a quick descent and along towards Whiston up and over the hill into Castle ashby along the gated road , never really understood why its called a gated road as no gates now or at any time in my 25 years of living in Northamptonshire . Then to Grendon where the heavens opened and waterproofs were put on quickly carried on past Dunkleys into Earls Barton and along through Great Doddington where the rain stopped and back in to the borough a total of 25.36 very nice miles . Enjoy your ride today fellow cc'ers

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
A chilly 3 miles on the bread run, first time I've taken both kids along, they did really well on the road parts.

@biggs682 might be Busfest?

Levo-Lon

Guru
Enjoyed our first Tandem ride today..intrestig at first...as said you get on better when you counicate..
Dont think we will be converts tho.
they feel like a hinged barge..and as the hire bike was a Viking model i dare say it was rather heave compared to some.
good fun but if we hire one again ill take my own seat..bloody thing on the tandem was not a pleas thing, big spongy thing..

if you have ever thought about this..go try it ,it is an intresting way to cycle..good fun

https://www.strava.com/activities/385285954

36 miles to get the lactic out of my legs.

Only one total clown (coming out of Romsey) trying to be a hero. I couldn't take him seriously, he was wearing what I can best describe as this.

image.jpg

And was struggling along on a thing with pannier bags on it. Total tool, doesn't understand yield to traffic from the right either:laugh:

Goonerobes

Its okay to be white
An annoying shower meant a slightly delayed start today & it also seemed to bring in a bit of a chill to the air so the long sleeve base layer made its first appearance since May as I decided take a trip back to the Test Valley area for a change & do a reverse loop of a route I did some months ago.

Leaving the forest at its northern tip it was a quick dash across the busy A36 & into Whiteparish before following the A27 through Sherfield English to Shootash where I picked up the more familiar road to Awbridge. Sticking to mostly A & B roads, as they are slightly less pot holed than the minor roads, it was then up through Broughton & Nether Wallop & along the border of the Porton Down "danger area" where they do all sorts of dodgy MOD stuff so not a place to visit for a nice day out me thinks.

Lunch was taken at the half way point before heading back through West Tytherley, West Dean & up Dean Hill, which I'd only ever been down before (& fallen off!) & then back to Whiteparish again & into the forest to head home.

All in all a bit of a strange 63 miles, not particularly scenic (as you'll see by the photos) & although no major hills it almost entirely consisted of going either up or down & rarely was it actually flat for more than half a mile so not a route I'll be rushing to do again.

https://www.strava.com/activities/385328147

003.JPG

In the center of the leaden sky is a Chinook helicopter which buzzed around me for about an hour but typically when I stopped to photograph it it flew away!!

007.JPG

Looking back down Dean Hill which thankfully was quite short.

006.JPG

The view from the top.

Top Bottom