Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

13 rider

Guru
Target today was Sept half century ( 50 km) .Out from home to Cropston ,Rothley ,Cossington up the climb of humble lane and on to Ratcliffe on the Wreake ,Thrussington and into Hoby where the game of strava segment chasing began missed a pb on the first climb by 1 second but pbs on the next four segments including the climb out of Ragdale . On to Seagrave down berrycott lane a lovely steady descent had to slow a couple of times to pass some horse riders . Then on to Sileby and loop through the estate for another couple of strava segments took the first one steady as I already have a top 5 to have a proper go a the the second segment which follows straight after. Finished it annoyingly 11th overall and 1 second of equal 7 th place one of which is a mate so that segment needs a revisit .On to Mountsorrel ,Quorn ,Woodhouse Eaves ,Swithland Rothley ,Cropston and Home . 34 miles done at 15.4 mph lovely ride if a bit chilly .first time in long sleeve since May is summer over :sad: So Sept ride done three quarters of challenge down .

Last edited:

toffee

Guru
Well today's ride should have happened two weeks ago but the weather was down to its normal summer standards.

Our longest ride to date was 62 miles earlier in the year. So today Mrs T and I set off to do our first imperial century ^_^

So today after 9 hours 40 minutes, 8 hours 12 minutes moving at 12.7 mph average.
_20150905_182907.JPG

Quite cold in the morning, with our numb feet wishing we had worn over shoes.
Two very knackered cyclists tonight.

Derek

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Mrs Dave was at the WI SHOW in Harrogate today, so I took my bike up Wharfedale. Not been up this dale for about 10 years and in my minds eye the road was flat....
Less than a mile from the car and I'm almost seeing double due to the effort it took to get up what is probably a tiny slope round these parts, but I needed warming up as it was a touch chilly. At Barden tower I went right to go to Appletreewick, I could see the purple heather glowing on the distant moors.
Past the Craven Arms, the best pub in he univers and on to Burnsall, all chocolate boxy in the morning sun. The road to Grassington gave me a good workout, scabious, bloody cranesbill and meadow cranesbill cheering more along. At Grassington I took the road for Kettlewell, passing through Kilnsey they were dismantling the agricultural show. There were no climbers on the crags.
View attachment 102625

On I went and breezed through Kettlewell, now the headwind was ramping up, it was quite testing. The pub in Starbotton was shut, it was last time I was here!

I turned off left for Hubberholme and although the wind was still in my face I had a massive smile as the roads were smooth, pretty and quiet!
View attachment 102628
View attachment 102630
View attachment 102631

I returned to Kettlewell and stopped for tea and cake, the service was a bit poor!
View attachment 102632
Once back at the car I'd done just over 40 miles, I always love Yorkshire when I come up here.... Should do it more often!

https://www.strava.com/activities/384811575

View attachment 102633
Oh, sorry Dave - I completely forgot to reply to your PM about this ride! I have had my sister and nephew up for a few days and got distracted. :blush:

I'm glad you had such a good time. That route is pretty much what I would have recommended anyway. :okay:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Oh, sorry Dave - I completely forgot to reply to your PM about this ride! I have had my sister and nephew up for a few days and got distracted. :blush:

I'm glad you had such a good time. That route is pretty much what I would have recommended anyway. :okay:

No worries. I had genuinely forgotten the lie of the land. Between Burnsall and Grassington was good fun, like I say, I thought it was flat!

Mike_P

Guru
22 miles and 2 PRs -oddly in completely opposite directions given it was pretty windy in places
First was the climb of Wydra Lane West near Fewston
WydraLane.jpg

I then discovered what a good cycle lane the central markings on the A59 make!
A59meagill.jpg

Decided to knock off a couple of lanes not cycled down before, obviously the news had got around...
sheepcote.jpg
eh.jpg

... and wearing cycle clothing for general wear is generally taken as not a good thing so there must be some reason for the helmet. The second PR was Clint Bank climbing out of Birstwith as opposed to Clint Bank climbing out of Hampsthwaite. For some reason Strava cuts short the climb out of the Birstwith and does not include the steepest part which is beyond the car in this photo
Clint bank Birstwith1.jpg

Just to back track slightly here is this weeks view of Nidderdale
Sheepcote-at- Crak.jpg

and this weeks grumble about NCN67 - this is the hard surfaced section between Ripley and Bilton in a bit of a mess
ncn67sept5.jpg

Last edited:

MikeW-71

Veteran
I've been absent from here for too long, and I was meant to be commuting 3 times this week, but my head has not been in good shape at all and had a near-meltdown at work on thursday. :sad:

After a productive meeting with the boss about the causes, I survived friday and was looking forward to my weekend off and getting out on the bike at last!

And it was a very nice day today, if a bit on the chilly side, so I set off with a 60 mile route in my head that looped around through Castle Carrock to Hallbankgate and joined the main A689 to Alston. I had a light tailwind for this section (unusual), which was nice. It's the first time I've ridden that road as all I remembered from driving it was that it's rather up-and-down. In fact it was nowhere near as tough to ride as I feared and there wasn't much traffic, which was even nicer.

Arrived at Alston and munched the second of my snack bars before turning right onto the main event. The A686 to Hartside. This time I just stayed on the main road and the climb is much nicer that way IMO as it's less steep than the NCR alternative route I took last time. More traffic here, but still fairly quiet for a saturday, lots of motorcycles and plenty of other cyclists descending to Alston (it's a common C2C route), as I was steadily spinning my way up. No headwind this time (woohoo!), but the temperature was dropping, so once I had reached the Cafe, I didn't stop long before the 5 mile descent to Melmerby :biggrin:

Nothing overtook me on the way down. In fact I caught up with a car that then held me up through the slower bit in the middle, but still it's a brilliant fast descent and the Defy was absolutely eating it up. Much of it has been resurfaced for the Tour of Britain, and it's soooo smoooooth! Once in Melmerby, I munched the third snack bar.

Then it was heading north, into the wind now, for the run home and the legs were really feeling it. Guess I must have tried harder on that climb than I thought! Still I made steady progress and stopped off on the way to eat the last bar before passing Cumrew and cutting over past Cumwhitton. This is going to be one of my favourite routes I think :smile:

https://www.strava.com/activities/385401397

The ToB comes through Castle Carrock and they were busy decorating:
20544854183_14a5bab414_c.jpg

As were the residents of Melmerby:
21139746596_e753e121f0_c.jpg

And there was this little guy:
20544879353_77c6cc2b37_c.jpg

It's good to be back.

13 rider

Guru
20544879353_77c6cc2b37_c.jpg

Same gaint as me great bike are the wheels an upgrade. Glad you had a good ride

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
8-10 foot ride today, trying out the Gravity for size(perfect). Price was right, for a Bikes Direct Bicycle- I got it in mostly complete form for $20. And I cleaned out the garage some more, as it seems to be the month of N+1. And I called a fellow to come and get some frames and components, as well as the Free Spirit tricycle. He took away a truckload. Clearing out, as Mrs.GA is allowing a workshop in a garage bay.

Excellent choice of route that's the way I prefer to ride (nice choice of routes back down the Eden). If you are going to watch the tour on Thursday, where will you be going? I still fancy parking three miles away near five Lane Ends and walking up the fell tracks but depends on weather and if SWMBO wants to come. She fancies parking near Brampton and walking through to Brampton Fell level crossing, but I think Newbiggin/Croglin could be a nice bit.

Top Bottom