Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

midlife

Guru
High Hesket. :smile:. Might move somewhere a bit more quiet when I retire, I was walking around Croglin area yesterday and that sems just about right.

Shaun

Glow worm

Legendary Member
It's our wedding anniversary today, so, ever the romantic, I decided to bugger off on a solo ride all afternoon ^_^

Just 16 miles around Wicken Fen, my usual haunt. I tend to combine these rides with a little bird watching, so speed is not a consideration. Averaged probably about 7mph! A beautiful day here, with the sky a very unusual blue colour- too nice to rush.

image.jpg

A quiet lane on the Lodes Way.

image.jpg

Ash dieback is getting more noticeable hereabouts now. Almost all the young ash trees along this stretch of path have either died or will be gone probably next year.

image.jpg

A nice quiet track at Wicken.

image.jpg

And another! I don't do roads if I can possibly avoid them.

I kept bumping into folks I know which is always great, though meant I was a little late getting home. Cooking Mrs G a nice roast dinner shortly to hopefully make up for it!

Last edited:

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Continuation due to ineptitude!
What I didn't fit was my tool bag so, round I went, retrieved said bag and off again. This time I had to ride like a proper cyclist!! Arrived ok ,met a few people, was told that this morning's run was the "hilly" one and off we went.
If you cycle where I live, there are not too many places that are new but I did find new ways to get there! Coped pretty well with the flat bits but, whilst I has no problems with the climbs, was slower than most of the others! One chap, Andy, was particularly friendly and welcoming but he must have thought that I was an un-communicative sod and he was holding a normal conversation as I was wheezing up the hill out of Bridge!!
All ended up at the Adelaide Cafe at Worth,( @Hill Wimp country), cup of tea and a bun, then various routes home.
I did 65 miles and thoroughly enjoyed it. I shall go again!!
I'm sure your peloton will pass me soon enough. I see Thanet RC around my lanes every weekend.

I shall just shout out "Hertz" next time i see them and see who falls off :laugh:

gavgav

Guru
Cricket today was yet again rather annoyingly cancelled, late yesterday, due to our pudding of a pitch, this after i'd come back from Dad's caravan on Saturday evening in time to play :sad:. However, every cloud has a silver lining, because it was a glorious day here in Shropshire and it meant I was able to get in my longest ride of the year so far. It was pleasantly warm and :sun:but there was a nagging West/North Westerly breeze that took the edge off the temperature and made it hard going at times, mainly in the second half of the ride.

I began by following the cycle paths to Harlescott, before joining the old canal path for a short section and then breezed along to Upton Magna, with the wind behind me, passing a horse drawn cart coming the other way! I then bumped my way through Upton Forge, including a "moment" on the muddy bit, pausing to take this picture of the River.
IMG_0297.JPG

I then headed for Wroxeter, around the NCN route and out onto the busier road to Cressage, before climbing up Shore Lane (pausing to avoid a Combine Harvester) and to Harnage Grange. I dropped down through the Ford, which wasn't as deep as I thought it might have been with all the recent rain, before the steep climb up Kenley Bank and a stop for lunch at the top. Nice sat in the sun, but spent most of the time fending off ruddy Wasps :evil:!

My trusty steed at the lunch stop
IMG_0299.JPG

After departing from Kenley I was riding through a carpet of branches and leaves from the trees, which must have been caused by something very tall having been through recently. There were a couple of sections where it had brought down big branches that were still part hanging and making it tricky for traffic coming through. Ok for a bike though :okay:
IMG_0298.JPG

I followed the lumpy section to Church Preen and then, just after turning off at Easthope, I rounded a corner only to come face to face with a Cow in the Road!!:eek::surrender: I am not very trusting of these animals, due to an incident when I was 7 yrs old, and so I stopped. The Cow was looking a bit unhappy and a bit of a Mexican stand off occurred, with a car joining the scene as well. I backed off into a driveway and was just contemplating doubling back to the nearby farm to try and find some assistance, when a lady came round the corner with a dog. I asked if she had lost a Cow and indeed she had!! I pointed her in the direction of it and she sent the dog off to bring it back, with the dog proceeding to stop on the verge and do it's business about half way between us and the cow, so the cow ran further away :laugh:. The lady and I had some friendly chatter before eventually the dog rounded the Cow up and started to entice it back towards us, but veering off into someone's garden :wacko:. By now the lady was rather stressed but she suggested it was best for me to leave the scene in case the Cow took a disliking to me on it's way past. That was a 1st on a ride for me.

I continued onto some new territory towards Gretton, missing a squirrel by inches as it leapt out of the hedge across my path :ohmy: and then climbed up from Cardington to the Enchmarsh junction. Quite a pull up here but gorgeous scenery.
IMG_0300.JPG

I paused at the top of the climb, for a Banana, at the crossroads below.

IMG_0301.JPG

I then began the descent down the Corkscrew/Folly Bank/Bufton's Bank (it has many names) which was great fun to begin with, if a little cold into the now stronger breeze, but I came up behind a tractor and trailer, half way down, and they were going much slower than me, so it slowed my descent considerably :angry:.

They eventually turned off and I continued on to Longnor, Ryton and up to dad's for a brief 20 minute chat. I then re-traced my steps to Ryton, before taking the Condover road, Lyons Lane to Betton Abbots and then home.

43.4 miles with 1737 ft of climbing and averaged 11.5mph. A thoroughly enjoyable ride :okay:

September has come round so it's time for a new Century Challenge ride.

This time I wanted to do something a bit special before the dark mornings and evenings draw in too much so had a look at a route I'd intended to do earlier in the summer. The idea was to go to Lake Vyrnwy, then over the hills to Bala, northwards to Corwen then to Llangollen and onto the canal towpath to Chirk and finally back through Oswestry to Shrewsbury. I'd be riding to places I'd never cycled to before and all being well would have an new personal best mileage at the end.

Setting out yesterday morning it was into damp and drizzly weather (not for the first time this year) with a northerly wind which I was riding against for the first bit. The ride out through the lanes to Knockin went smoothly then there was the busier road to Llynclys and up the lush, green Tanat Valley.

The first big climb of the day is from Penybontfawr over to Llanwddyn through some fabulous wild-looking scenery. A short gentle climb then brings the dam holding back Llyn Efyrnwy into view. To be sure of getting the mileage I wanted from this ride I did an anti-clockwise lap of the lake first and had a break for a hot chocolate at the cafe before riding to the far end of the lake again and onto new ground. I was taking the road to Bala via Cwm Hirnant (confusingly, I'd already ridden through a valley called Cwm Hirnant earlier on :wacko:) This involved a long and fairly steep climb and being 55 miles into the ride I had to resort to dropping into my very lowest gear and just winding my way up. I'm glad I didn't take the other possible route which comes out part way up the Bwlch Y Groes climb.:ohmy: The scenery was well worth the effort though - it looked epic and I was disappointed that my photos don't capture the true majesty of it.

The descent into Bala is a pretty long one. I didn't detour into the town itself but got a glimpse at the lake and had my lunch at the Bala Lake Railway station, where my timing was good and I was able to see a train come in.

The legs were definitely stiffening up now so I had to take it a bit carefully on the road to Corwen which is undulating. I started to suffer from occasional cramp on this section too which isn't something I normally get (afterwards sometimes, but not while riding). I made it though and took to the roads on the northern side of the valley (to avoid the A5) heading for Llangollen.

I'd not gone far before taking a bit of an unintended detour. Climbing up a hill and cursing whoever built this road, I realised that it seemed to be taking me away from the valley with no sign of swinging round to the right as I was expecting. Checking the map I'd managed to turn off not one but two junctions too early. Oops!:blush: The correct road was much easier going.

There were some issues with traffic on these narrow lanes - there's no room for two cars to pass each other for quite a way and not many passing places.

I was flagging quite a bit by the time I got to Llangollen so was glad to stop, have a bite to eat and a short rest.

Moving on again I was heading for the canal towpath. I could have joined it at Llangollen or in Trevor but decided to follow the A539 for a short way then take the lanes through the valley and join the canal at Froncysyllte.

The towpath avoids using some major trunk roads but you pay for this with an awful tarmac surface for a couple of miles and a very tricky narrow bit through a tunnel (very glad I had my lights with me). The rest of the path is fine gravel which is much better quality for riding.

I passed the 100 mile mark before reaching Weston Rhyn, had another bite to eat at Oswestry then tacked the final push for home. That northerly wind was behind me now and from Oswestry it's slightly down hill for about five miles so despite being very tired now I was able to enjoy a good run of 20mph+ cruising. Around here I was unsure about getting the mileage I was aiming for so added in an extra bit through Maesbrook (and another bit round Argoed when in my tired state I missed a junction).

Making it to Great Ness it was only ten miles left to home but I could hardly turn the pedals and was feeling quite saddle sore. The jelly babies had been opened so these and stubbornness carried me through very slowly to the end.

A lot of firsts for new places visited but most importantly a new personal best for distance of 131.2 miles :wahhey:giving me my first metric double century. It took 12 hours and 45 minutes including stops with a moving average of 12.4 mph.:heat:

I need a different saddle or a recumbent bike if I'm going to try and better this.:blink:

Well done! That's set me thinking - I'd have to truncate that route a bit, but I like the mid-Wales bit around Vrnwy and across to Bala and Llangollen. Maybe chuck the bike in the car and start from Chirk......

OT - decided that given the lovely day and the balance of the Brownie Point a/c we'd go for a walk rather than me model flying or out on the bike. Started at Norbury a few miles W of Church Stretton and went up Shropshire Way via Linley Hill and back via a circular route. Drove back via the pub at Wentnor (nice pint of Three Tuns) and Pulverbatch - that looks to be superb cycling country (on a sunny day anyway!). Must work out some routes in that area maybe from Bayston Hill.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
High Hesket. :smile:. Might move somewhere a bit more quiet when I retire, I was walking around Croglin area yesterday and that sems just about right.

Shaun

Ah ok - bit up from me then.

Nice up where you are.

gavgav

Guru
September has come round so it's time for a new Century Challenge ride.

This time I wanted to do something a bit special before the dark mornings and evenings draw in too much so had a look at a route I'd intended to do earlier in the summer. The idea was to go to Lake Vyrnwy, then over the hills to Bala, northwards to Corwen then to Llangollen and onto the canal towpath to Chirk and finally back through Oswestry to Shrewsbury. I'd be riding to places I'd never cycled to before and all being well would have an new personal best mileage at the end.

Setting out yesterday morning it was into damp and drizzly weather (not for the first time this year) with a northerly wind which I was riding against for the first bit. The ride out through the lanes to Knockin went smoothly then there was the busier road to Llynclys and up the lush, green Tanat Valley.

The first big climb of the day is from Penybontfawr over to Llanwddyn through some fabulous wild-looking scenery. A short gentle climb then brings the dam holding back Llyn Efyrnwy into view. To be sure of getting the mileage I wanted from this ride I did an anti-clockwise lap of the lake first and had a break for a hot chocolate at the cafe before riding to the far end of the lake again and onto new ground. I was taking the road to Bala via Cwm Hirnant (confusingly, I'd already ridden through a valley called Cwm Hirnant earlier on :wacko:) This involved a long and fairly steep climb and being 55 miles into the ride I had to resort to dropping into my very lowest gear and just winding my way up. I'm glad I didn't take the other possible route which comes out part way up the Bwlch Y Groes climb.:ohmy: The scenery was well worth the effort though - it looked epic and I was disappointed that my photos don't capture the true majesty of it.

The descent into Bala is a pretty long one. I didn't detour into the town itself but got a glimpse at the lake and had my lunch at the Bala Lake Railway station, where my timing was good and I was able to see a train come in.

The legs were definitely stiffening up now so I had to take it a bit carefully on the road to Corwen which is undulating. I started to suffer from occasional cramp on this section too which isn't something I normally get (afterwards sometimes, but not while riding). I made it though and took to the roads on the northern side of the valley (to avoid the A5) heading for Llangollen.

I'd not gone far before taking a bit of an unintended detour. Climbing up a hill and cursing whoever built this road, I realised that it seemed to be taking me away from the valley with no sign of swinging round to the right as I was expecting. Checking the map I'd managed to turn off not one but two junctions too early. Oops!:blush: The correct road was much easier going.

There were some issues with traffic on these narrow lanes - there's no room for two cars to pass each other for quite a way and not many passing places.

I was flagging quite a bit by the time I got to Llangollen so was glad to stop, have a bite to eat and a short rest.

Moving on again I was heading for the canal towpath. I could have joined it at Llangollen or in Trevor but decided to follow the A539 for a short way then take the lanes through the valley and join the canal at Froncysyllte.

The towpath avoids using some major trunk roads but you pay for this with an awful tarmac surface for a couple of miles and a very tricky narrow bit through a tunnel (very glad I had my lights with me). The rest of the path is fine gravel which is much better quality for riding.

I passed the 100 mile mark before reaching Weston Rhyn, had another bite to eat at Oswestry then tacked the final push for home. That northerly wind was behind me now and from Oswestry it's slightly down hill for about five miles so despite being very tired now I was able to enjoy a good run of 20mph+ cruising. Around here I was unsure about getting the mileage I was aiming for so added in an extra bit through Maesbrook (and another bit round Argoed when in my tired state I missed a junction).

Making it to Great Ness it was only ten miles left to home but I could hardly turn the pedals and was feeling quite saddle sore. The jelly babies had been opened so these and stubbornness carried me through very slowly to the end.

A lot of firsts for new places visited but most importantly a new personal best for distance of 131.2 miles :wahhey:giving me my first metric double century. It took 12 hours and 45 minutes including stops with a moving average of 12.4 mph.:heat:

I need a different saddle or a recumbent bike if I'm going to try and better this.:blink:

View attachment 102801
Damp in Penybontfawr. I love how not just the scenery but the architecture changes when crossing the border.

View attachment 102802
Taken at Cwmwr. Made me smile

View attachment 102803
At Vyrnwy. I've already done a lap of the lake, had my hot chocolate and am about to set off to unexplored territory.

View attachment 102805
Entering my third county of the day. There will be five in all.

View attachment 102806
Magnificent scenery!

View attachment 102807
A slight distraction at my lunch stop. Maid Marian is prepared for her next trip.

View attachment 102808
More gentle but still fabulous scenery as I follow the River Dee to Llangollen.

View attachment 102809
Crossing over the River Dee for the last time this trip with a glimpse of Thomas Telford's Pontcysyllte Aquaduct as the backdrop.

View attachment 102810
Froncysylle is a much prettier place viewed from the canal than is appears when rushing through on the A5

View attachment 102811
One from Oswestry that didn't quite work but I'll include anyway: On the left we have Sweeney Todd's barbers, on the right the Little Pie Shop. Yes it's for real and no the businesses aren't connected (or so they claim :whistle:) Here's an article (with a better photo) about it in the local paper: http://www.shropshirestar.com/news/2015/07/29/oswestry-businesses-make-it-a-short-back-and-pies/

Fantastic and many congratulations!! :notworthy::okay:

gavgav

Guru
Well done! That's set me thinking - I'd have to truncate that route a bit, but I like the mid-Wales bit around Vrnwy and across to Bala and Llangollen. Maybe chuck the bike in the car and start from Chirk......

OT - decided that given the lovely day and the balance of the Brownie Point a/c we'd go for a walk rather than me model flying or out on the bike. Started at Norbury a few miles W of Church Stretton and went up Shropshire Way via Linley Hill and back via a circular route. Drove back via the pub at Wentnor (nice pint of Three Tuns) and Pulverbatch - that looks to be superb cycling country (on a sunny day anyway!). Must work out some routes in that area maybe from Bayston Hill.
There is indeed some fabulous cycling around Pulverbatch and onto the Longmynd/Stiperstones, etc. South Shropshire really is lovely.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Cricket today was yet again rather annoyingly cancelled, late yesterday, due to our pudding of a pitch, this after i'd come back from Dad's caravan on Saturday evening in time to play :sad:. However, every cloud has a silver lining, because it was a glorious day here in Shropshire and it meant I was able to get in my longest ride of the year so far. It was pleasantly warm and :sun:but there was a nagging West/North Westerly breeze that took the edge off the temperature and made it hard going at times, mainly in the second half of the ride.

I began by following the cycle paths to Harlescott, before joining the old canal path for a short section and then breezed along to Upton Magna, with the wind behind me, passing a horse drawn cart coming the other way! I then bumped my way through Upton Forge, including a "moment" on the muddy bit, pausing to take this picture of the River.
View attachment 102875

I then headed for Wroxeter, around the NCN route and out onto the busier road to Cressage, before climbing up Shore Lane (pausing to avoid a Combine Harvester) and to Harnage Grange. I dropped down through the Ford, which wasn't as deep as I thought it might have been with all the recent rain, before the steep climb up Kenley Bank and a stop for lunch at the top. Nice sat in the sun, but spent most of the time fending off ruddy Wasps :evil:!

My trusty steed at the lunch stop
View attachment 102878

After departing from Kenley I was riding through a carpet of branches and leaves from the trees, which must have been caused by something very tall having been through recently. There were a couple of sections where it had brought down big branches that were still part hanging and making it tricky for traffic coming through. Ok for a bike though :okay:
View attachment 102879

I followed the lumpy section to Church Preen and then, just after turning off at Easthope, I rounded a corner only to come face to face with a Cow in the Road!!:eek::surrender: I am not very trusting of these animals, due to an incident when I was 7 yrs old, and so I stopped. The Cow was looking a bit unhappy and a bit of a Mexican stand off occurred, with a car joining the scene as well. I backed off into a driveway and was just contemplating doubling back to the nearby farm to try and find some assistance, when a lady came round the corner with a dog. I asked if she had lost a Cow and indeed she had!! I pointed her in the direction of it and she sent the dog off to bring it back, with the dog proceeding to stop on the verge and do it's business about half way between us and the cow, so the cow ran further away :laugh:. The lady and I had some friendly chatter before eventually the dog rounded the Cow up and started to entice it back towards us, but veering off into someone's garden :wacko:. By now the lady was rather stressed but she suggested it was best for me to leave the scene in case the Cow took a disliking to me on it's way past. That was a 1st on a ride for me.

I continued onto some new territory towards Gretton, missing a squirrel by inches as it leapt out of the hedge across my path :ohmy: and then climbed up from Cardington to the Enchmarsh junction. Quite a pull up here but gorgeous scenery.
View attachment 102881
I paused at the top of the climb, for a Banana, at the crossroads below.

View attachment 102882

I then began the descent down the Corkscrew/Folly Bank/Bufton's Bank (it has many names) which was great fun to begin with, if a little cold into the now stronger breeze, but I came up behind a tractor and trailer, half way down, and they were going much slower than me, so it slowed my descent considerably :angry:.

They eventually turned off and I continued on to Longnor, Ryton and up to dad's for a brief 20 minute chat. I then re-traced my steps to Ryton, before taking the Condover road, Lyons Lane to Betton Abbots and then home.

43.4 miles with 1737 ft of climbing and averaged 11.5mph. A thoroughly enjoyable ride :okay:
That looks glorious @gavgav.

Top Bottom