Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Fantastic ride @Rickshaw Phil
I know the Tanat valley well from kayaking trips, but from a car.
One day I will do it on a bike!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
September has come round so it's time for a new Century Challenge ride. (Cheers Phil)

I got out of the door at 7.15am this morning to beautiful blue skies. Lovely except it was brass monkeys out there, hovering at a chilly 5degs. I stuck to bib shorts and fingerless gloves but threw on the windcheater to keep the old body warm. I was thinking that I may regret my decision, but knew the day would get warmer so stuck with it. It didn't take long to warm up. I was on my way to Aylesford to meet @Trickedem of this parish. Fresh from his Paris/Brest/Paris ride.

The Pilgrims Way was looking beautiful in the early morning sun. Lovely (relatively) car free, rolling country lanes with great views.

Sept152.jpg

sept151.jpg

@RedRider , recognise this place :okay:
Sept153.jpg

I met Tim on the old bridge at 25 miles in and was now very nicely warmed up. As I said last week, cycling has really taken off. Once again losing count of the amount of cyclists seen this morning. It really is a brilliant this to see and to be a part of this great hobby.

From Aylesford we had a few ups and down following the Pilgrims Way, hitting the beast that is Hollingbourne Hill. One of those hills that gives you a false sense of hill climbing security. Throw it in the low gears and spin up. All very good until you see the false summit, it turns round a bend and it ramps up. Both myself and Tim got personal bests on the hill today. Mine because I was slowly catching up another cyclist ascending. I was a few bike lengths behind him when I gave a little cough to let him know I was there.. that was it.. he put his foot down.. so I had to too... didn't catch him though. But at the top did see him resting up :okay:. Fair play to him.

Tim reaching the summit.
Sept154.jpg

From Hollingbourne Hill it was a lovely roll down through the small villages of Kent all the way to Faversham. Great to be just rolling along, chatting side by side along the lanes, only interrupted by one of the widest pieces of farm machinery I have ever seen. Both of us having to dismount and move to the side to let the big wheeled beast pass.

It didn't take long to get to Faversham, where we were greeted by hundreds of people attending the yearly Faversham Hop Festival. Lot's of CAMRA types wandering around silver pewter beer jugs in hand and Morris dancers banging sticks and jingly jangling....
sept156.jpg

sept155.jpg

Huge 'Bubble' breakie was had at the brilliant Swan Cafe...whilst watching all the twirly whirly bing bang bingabong stuff above..

The return was the classic FNRttC route, but in reverse. A lovely ride of more rolling, traffic free lanes. Except not so traffic free. For some reason the lanes resembled the M25 at times. Finding out from another 2 wheeler, but of the engined kind that there had been a major accident on one of the major roads nearby. Causing gawd knows how many cars to rat run the lanes:cursing:. A cheeky headwind also tried it's best to make thing's just that little bit harder for us too.

Never mind. We finally got to the Medway towns with Tim taking us on a little detour along the River Medway.
Sept157.jpg

On to Rochester, where I left Tim as he was near to home.
sept158.jpg

From Rochester it was a well rode route I had done many times before. Over the Medway Bridge to Cuxton with a lovely, long, flying downhill. Then through the lovely Cuxton valley, through various small Kent villages and towns. Luddeston, Sole Street, Meopham, Horton Kirby..I could have cut the ride here and headed back home but it meant not getting the 100 miles for day, so did an about turn and decided to climb up to Brands Hatch and head for the Knatts Valley. As someone mentioned in a previous post, it's a cyclists secret. A 4 mile flat/slightly downhill ride through a lovely valley. It sure helped get the average up after the long climb to reach it. Through the pretty village of Eynsford and another long drag/climb to Crockenhill and Shoreham and I was left with another fantastic downhill stretch to home. Fantastic.

So Septembers century a month challenge ride done. 105 glorious miles.
Century # 22 for the year, 156 over all, and the 58th month in a row with a century ride.

Sept15.jpg

Last edited:

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
First round of the Ridley Western League this morning at Bradford on Avon - a new course with the event being part of their cycling festival weekend.

Nearly 100 riders took part in excellent conditions - sunny windless morning.

Lots of youngsters taking part in the Juniors race as well.

image-jpg.102908.jpg

..... more info to follow once results are posted !

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
September has come round so it's time for a new Century Challenge ride.

This time I wanted to do something a bit special before the dark mornings and evenings draw in too much so had a look at a route I'd intended to do earlier in the summer. The idea was to go to Lake Vyrnwy, then over the hills to Bala, northwards to Corwen then to Llangollen and onto the canal towpath to Chirk and finally back through Oswestry to Shrewsbury. I'd be riding to places I'd never cycled to before and all being well would have an new personal best mileage at the end.

Setting out yesterday morning it was into damp and drizzly weather (not for the first time this year) with a northerly wind which I was riding against for the first bit. The ride out through the lanes to Knockin went smoothly then there was the busier road to Llynclys and up the lush, green Tanat Valley.

The first big climb of the day is from Penybontfawr over to Llanwddyn through some fabulous wild-looking scenery. A short gentle climb then brings the dam holding back Llyn Efyrnwy into view. To be sure of getting the mileage I wanted from this ride I did an anti-clockwise lap of the lake first and had a break for a hot chocolate at the cafe before riding to the far end of the lake again and onto new ground. I was taking the road to Bala via Cwm Hirnant (confusingly, I'd already ridden through a valley called Cwm Hirnant earlier on :wacko:) This involved a long and fairly steep climb and being 55 miles into the ride I had to resort to dropping into my very lowest gear and just winding my way up. I'm glad I didn't take the other possible route which comes out part way up the Bwlch Y Groes climb.:ohmy: The scenery was well worth the effort though - it looked epic and I was disappointed that my photos don't capture the true majesty of it.

The descent into Bala is a pretty long one. I didn't detour into the town itself but got a glimpse at the lake and had my lunch at the Bala Lake Railway station, where my timing was good and I was able to see a train come in.

The legs were definitely stiffening up now so I had to take it a bit carefully on the road to Corwen which is undulating. I started to suffer from occasional cramp on this section too which isn't something I normally get (afterwards sometimes, but not while riding). I made it though and took to the roads on the northern side of the valley (to avoid the A5) heading for Llangollen.

I'd not gone far before taking a bit of an unintended detour. Climbing up a hill and cursing whoever built this road, I realised that it seemed to be taking me away from the valley with no sign of swinging round to the right as I was expecting. Checking the map I'd managed to turn off not one but two junctions too early. Oops!:blush: The correct road was much easier going.

There were some issues with traffic on these narrow lanes - there's no room for two cars to pass each other for quite a way and not many passing places.

I was flagging quite a bit by the time I got to Llangollen so was glad to stop, have a bite to eat and a short rest.

Moving on again I was heading for the canal towpath. I could have joined it at Llangollen or in Trevor but decided to follow the A539 for a short way then take the lanes through the valley and join the canal at Froncysyllte.

The towpath avoids using some major trunk roads but you pay for this with an awful tarmac surface for a couple of miles and a very tricky narrow bit through a tunnel (very glad I had my lights with me). The rest of the path is fine gravel which is much better quality for riding.

I passed the 100 mile mark before reaching Weston Rhyn, had another bite to eat at Oswestry then tacked the final push for home. That northerly wind was behind me now and from Oswestry it's slightly down hill for about five miles so despite being very tired now I was able to enjoy a good run of 20mph+ cruising. Around here I was unsure about getting the mileage I was aiming for so added in an extra bit through Maesbrook (and another bit round Argoed when in my tired state I missed a junction).

Making it to Great Ness it was only ten miles left to home but I could hardly turn the pedals and was feeling quite saddle sore. The jelly babies had been opened so these and stubbornness carried me through very slowly to the end.

A lot of firsts for new places visited but most importantly a new personal best for distance of 131.2 miles :wahhey:giving me my first metric double century. It took 12 hours and 45 minutes including stops with a moving average of 12.4 mph.:heat:

I need a different saddle or a recumbent bike if I'm going to try and better this.:blink:

View attachment 102801
Damp in Penybontfawr. I love how not just the scenery but the architecture changes when crossing the border.

View attachment 102802
Taken at Cwmwr. Made me smile

View attachment 102803
At Vyrnwy. I've already done a lap of the lake, had my hot chocolate and am about to set off to unexplored territory.

View attachment 102805
Entering my third county of the day. There will be five in all.

View attachment 102806
Magnificent scenery!

View attachment 102807

View attachment 102808
More gentle, but still fabulous scenery as I follow the River Dee to Llangollen.

View attachment 102809
Crossing over the River Dee for the last time this trip with a glimpse of Thomas Telford's Pontcysyllte Aquaduct as the backdrop.

View attachment 102810
Froncysylle is a much prettier place viewed from the canal than it appears when rushing through on the A5

View attachment 102811
One from Oswestry that didn't quite work but I'll include anyway: On the left we have Sweeney Todd's barbers, on the right the Little Pie Shop. Yes it's for real and no the businesses aren't connected (or so they claim :whistle:) Here's an article (with a better photo) about it in the local paper: http://www.shropshirestar.com/news/2015/07/29/oswestry-businesses-make-it-a-short-back-and-pies/
Chapeau to that. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: I cannot conceive riding that far. Jesus wept...!

Mike_P

Guru
Jammed chain and broken zip on saddle bag were not a good start todays ride. After yesterdays PRs decided to tackle the other Clint Bank, from Hampsthwaite, and a PR again achieved by Frooming it uphill in what seemed like far too a low a gear at times. Not the easiest to photo as it starts around a bend which means its not one that you can take much of a run it.
Clint Bank hamps.jpg

From the Strava top of the climb, I continued uphill following the now joined NCN67 northwards, eventually it drops down towards Shaw Mills where on the approaching descent a road appears to go straight uphill out of the roofs of a terrace further down the road.
shaw mills.jpg

Yes that's the way ahead and to make it that bit more difficult is approached immediately round a sharp ninety degree bend. Further on the crossroads is reached of the direct road from Ripley. I headed north to NCN688 but instead of following that eastwards to Fountains Abbey headed westwards. Primarily uphill the toil pays off with Brimham Rocks being reached, managed by the National Trust most of these " weird and wonderful natural rock formations" are out of sight from the road but not all.
20150906_145635.jpg

Heading down hill the Nidd was crossed by Hartwith Toll Bridge, free for cyclists
hartwithtoll.jpg

From there I made use of one of the lanes first cycled down yesterday to cycle uphill out of Nidderdale, strange how they always seem to go uphill far more than they go downhill. Whether my fast easterly dash homewards broke any PR I will never know as I had managed to stop Strava recording half way around the ride. 28.5miles and 2343ft climbed.

Last edited:

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
Did a repeat of a loop from the other week for no other reason than, at the time, my GPS went tits up on quite an important bit. Today the tech didn't fight back and I did a nice 47 miles (give or take) with 2,500 ft of climbing (or thereabouts). Even the silly cow cyclist on the Sustrans path who nearly went into me head-on because (by her own admission) wasn't looking where she was going didn't spoil the fun. Lovely!

https://www.strava.com/activities/386089242

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Having not had the chance to get a decent ride for ages, well, a couple of weeks, I was planning to meet up with a mate at 10:00 this morning for pedal.
He txt me at 08:00 that he couldn't make it as he wasn't feeling well.
Not to be deterred, and in lovely sunshine, I set out on my own on the route we'd planned to ride.
Once I'd got to the other side of town via the Washlands cycle path and Brackmills industry, I got onto a little used bridleway under the A45 and across to golf course to a lake that seems to have no name.

DSC_2232.JPG

Once around that, I popped out into the back end of Delapre Abbey. Unbeknownst to me, No1 daughter and the grand-kids were there cheering on some friends on a charity run.
Never mind, I was aiming for the canal banks alongside the Grand Union and the Rothersthorpe flight of 12 or 13 locks. It's quite impressive, and seemingly not well known.

DSC_2243.JPG

This is one of the first bits with the M1 motorway on the arch above. (How much do we miss as we zoom up and down the motorways!?!)

DSC_2236.JPG

Further up, there are several such bridges. Fairly pointless now, but well preserved for historical reasons, happily. One day I might see if I can lower one just to ride over it :cycle:

After being on the canal banks for several miles I thought I was getting a bit off track and turned a sharp left onto some tarmac towards Gayton and Blisworth, thence onwards to Courteenhall and a bridleway towards Roade that I'd not ridden before. I did have to use a footpath for half a mile to get to where I needed to be, but as it was alongside a field, I thought I'd risk it...

IMG_20150906_140419.jpg

I'm glad I did as this magnificent specimen of fungusness was spotted. A good 9" tall, and probably best not eaten! (not a clue what it is!)

DSC_2260.JPG

Back on bridleways towards Salcey, and tracks I know well, I saw a different angle on the wind turbines than usual.
Once into Salcey Forest, I steered clear of the main trails and found some of the muddier patches from the recent inclement weather but only for a mile or so luckily.. Some riding down the sides of the fields towards home cleaned most of it off, leaving less to hose away when I got home.

With a few more miles through Cogenhoe and Billing, I was home on just over 41 miles.

Smashing day out, all in all, even if it was on my own..

https://www.strava.com/activities/386125249

:smile:

Top Bottom