Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sgl5gjr

Just a 16 mile yesterday.... was 10 c when I left home at 10:30....so cooler weather kit on and not much of enthusiasm to get out there.....so I decided to extend one of my winter short routes to see the difference and the added miles..... works for me..... and I'm going to ride again later today around midday

High Hesket. :smile:. Might move somewhere a bit more quiet when I retire, I was walking around Croglin area yesterday and that sems just about right.

Shaun
Oh no. Not another refuge from the A6 wanting sanctuary!

Gareth C

Veteran
Marlow Red Kite Ride (sorry for the lack of photos...)

Last sportive of the year, but what a great one. Just back from a week away in Holland (where we’d actually ridden a couple of times on Dutch BSOs), and I had the long drive south to Marlow. It was arranged by colleagues Neal, Brian and Richard.

The morning started cold, with 4°C registering on the car temperature gauge. I put away thoughts of toughing it out and got the gillet and arm-warmers out. The ride starts at Marlow cricket club and despite the chill, finding a spot in the sun to hang out and drink the (free) coffee was great.

Once on the road we quickly left Marlow and headed out for the ride up to Christmas Common. This was a regular when I used to live down there, so I knew what to expect. What was different was normally on the climb I’d have ridden over from Windsor, so this time it was on fresh legs. About a mile in there was a big bang from behind, and Richard had punctured, right on the narrow climb under the trees. We found him a patch of off-road ground, and teamwork fixed the puncture quickly. Back on the climb.

Frieth and Fingest pass quickly, and as we’re climbing, the chill is receding. I’d forgotten how beautiful it is around here. There is a BIG pull up to Turville Heath which has me pulling off gillet and arm-warmers while on the move, stowing them for the rest of the day. We eventually arrive at Christmas Common and have the new (to me) long fast descent to Watlington. The route turns north east to head under the M40 near the amazing chalk cutting to Stokenchurch. We have a different agenda though, so its north to Thame, and a little sinking feeling that we’re not going to be stopping for coffee and cake… However, the riding is gorgeous, with most of the lumps now gone, and just lovely undulating country riding. Wall-to-wall blue skies and sunshine. The only headwind is that we’re making by our movement: the bushes are absolutely still.

We cross south over the M40 and A40 before a climb upto Cuddesdon and our first feedstop half way around the 80 mile route. The food is excellent: scotch eggs, sausage rolls, pork pies together with the usual sweet stuff. Richard pumps his tyre upto “running pressure” and as we prepare to leave, Richard picks his bike up only for a bang and a hole appearing in the sidewall of his tyre; damaged by flint? The organisers quickly find him a new tyre, and while he makes another repair Neal says “more food?”

The descent out of Cuddesdon is great, and we know we’re now on the home leg. More nice riding south towards Reading, but first we have the big climb back onto the Chilterns at Cookney Green. I manage a cheeky rest by helping a Dutch guy with a broken chain, but while we get him going, he clearly doesn’t place any importance on chain cleaning, and my hands are black. Not far to the next feed station, and they have a toilet with soap, water and paper towels, so I scrub and scrub some more.

Riding along the tops of the Chilterns we pass through Nettlebed and descend to Sonning. Due to the amount of rain recently, the planned ford at Twyford is off the agenda, and in place we have a long flat slog along the A4. I’m on the front of our group and feeling it. Only later does Brian tell me he was struggling to hang on the back. I think we were all tired at this point, and unanimously agreed later that 80 miles was “the right distance.”

As we approach Maidenhead, we’re back on home ground at Pinkney’s Green. Not for the first time today there is a cricket match in progress. We make the final climb of the day up Winter Hill road, but we know this is climbing Winter Hill by its easiest approach. Then we have the fast and steep zig-zag descent into Marlow, across the beautiful bridge and left back to the cricket club to finish. It’s now 20°C and still amazing weather.

screen-shot-2015-09-07-at-08-56-03.png

Many of the riders are hanging around, there is beer and bacon sandwiches on sale. However, for me, it is a short ride back to the car park, then a five hour drive back north.

A grand day out!

Last edited:

MiK1138

Veteran
Sunday 7/9 Pedal for Scotland 2015 Glasgow Green Glasgow to Murrayfield Stadium Edinburgh there and back with @jnrmczip , my first Imperial(and Metric for that matter) Ton, Bleddy tremendous weather, a good group of cyclist. I wont lie i felt like wrapping it about 70m but had looked forward to it for weeks and the guys and gal i was cycling with where great encouragment. 8 oclock last night i hated my bike today i want to go for a nice run coz the weather is lovely again

https://www.strava.com/activities/386518446

Last edited:
OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
No big deal in effort or mileage but yesterday afternoon, finished work, home, Sunday lunch then out on the bike in lovely sunshine and only mild breeze. 19 miles, taking it steady as needed, pushing when i wanted to. Nothing noteworthy seen, just a real real nice ride out.

Bealach Mor: 5th September 2015. 125 miles. ~9,500 feet

Strava links: Main ride | Achnasheen to Garve

The morning had dawned clear and cold, with a crispness that hinted at the end of summer, when I set off from my hotel in Kyle of Lochalsh to catch the first train of the day, and it was a chilly morning that met me in Wester Ross with the wind in the west, when I disembarked the train at Achnasheen.

The week before I had solo ridden the Highland Perthshire Challenge, so I knew before I started that I had no climbing legs with me at all, and with ~9500 feet of elevation gain being the order of the day, I knew that I was going to be struggling.

I headed into the wind for the event start in Kinlochewe, met up with my work colleague and some of his clubmates at the event HQ and then met @tug benson at the start line.
Jamie ( @tug benson ) and I set off in the first group and had a good natter on the Cat 3 climb straight out of Kinlochewe, as a decent-sized peloton formed around us.

With the summit crest in sight, I gave my sprinting legs a kick, took a turn at the front, and only on looking back did I realise that I'd dropped the group.
I therefore claim my KOM points as I was the very first* person on the day over it :wahhey:

Hitting 44.7mph over the crest and down the other side, two other lads jumped off the front of the group and drafted me for a bit before jumping me in turn. Unfortunately, I couldn't hold their wheels and had to ease up, letting the pack catch up before hopping back onto the tail of the group.

I took another couple of turns at the front (as I'm not very confident riding in a group) until the turnoff at Achnasheen, but shortly after that when I fell back to recover I got dropped :sad: - and just before the two escapees were reeled in!

A similar thing happened with the second big group on the road when it caught me, I couldn't hold a wheel for long enough to stay on.

I was still doing reasonably well (albeit ploughing a lonely furrow) until Lochcarron where a roadside supporter took this photo of me:
EOMT2kN.jpg

On the climb out of Lochcarron I tried to use my climbing legs and was painfuly reminded that they weren't there and I backslid badly as rider after rider spun past me.

The turnoff at Tornapress that signals the start of the infamous Bealach na Ba climb appeared long before I was psychologically ready for the climb, and even in my bottom gear on the gentler lower slopes (7%) I could scarcely turn the pedals.
I was ~4mph down when compared to April's effort on the same climb and that's long before the steep part (where, yes, I had to stop a couple of times :B))

I wasn't at all out of breath, I wasn't tired, my heart rate wasn't elevated, I simply couldn't put forth any effort, and I have no idea why.
I think I'm going to have to speak to someone about it, because it's a really disheartening thing to happen.

I had a horrible time on the climb, being unable to get my HR up or maintain my core temperature, the cold wind exacted a toll, to the point that when I arrived at the summit pallid and shaken, the volunteer marshals were very concerned about me and suggested that I sit in the van, drink some hot water and consider abandoning the ride rather than risking the descent while shoogly (which I didn't, because I'm an impetuous fool and a veritable God of Descending.)
Thankfully I recovered on the descent and after snaffling some food and painkillers at the food stop, I headed off onto the coast road.

The 37 (THIRTY SEVEN) climbs on the coast road didn't feel as hard as they did in April, but I think that's because I knew what was involved and could use my sprinting legs to blast up some of them before gravity realised what I was doing, although there were several that I had to crawl up in bottom gear.

From Shieldaig back to Kinlochewe was relatively easy compared to what had come before, although on the final valley drag from Torridon up to Kinlochewe there was another rider who put in a good effort to reel me in. He overtook me just a couple of miles from the finish and made it clear that he'd like nothing more than to beat me to the finish line.**

Crossing the line I encountered Jamie (who had effortlessly spun past me on the Bealach) in the food station and as we swapped battle stories, I ate my way back to life, before setting off on the 9 mile climb to catch the train at Achnasheen - I was considerably slower up that Cat 3 than I had been the first time I'd done the climb that morning!

Arriving at Achnasheen train station an hour earlier than the train and being eaten alive by midges, I decided to ride the 16 miles extra to the next station in Garve, as it was mostly downhill and with a tailwind I was able to get a good hoof on!

Sadly I didn't take any photos during the day because it really wasn't that kind of ride.
OYyhaoo.png

* and last, if you include the ride home after the event
** He failed, by about 5 seconds. Sprinting legs were all I had with me and I put them to good use!

Last edited:
Day late again but a little pootle along route 11 to Wicken and back yesterday,with a little stop at the Maids Head for a pint Of Woodfordes Nelsons Revenge:cheers:.Went with the better half on her Raleigh mtb so no Strava records today:laugh:(some 3rd bests though due to it only being the third time I'd gone along that route);was a nice afternoon for it though being sunny but not too hot.
Been suffering with the snuffles/man-flu and felt weary when we got back so don't think I'll be doing much this week.
Think the other half has the bug though as she was searching e-bay for bikes:ohmy:.

https://www.strava.com/activities/386330893

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Got the week off work so decided to go do my September imperial century, As usual I didn't plan a route so ended up doing a fair bit of my commuting route - I always end up on the commute route if I don't plan the route, must just be auto pilot.

Anyway I digress. I set off at 7am in brilliant sunshine but it was a bit cold so wooly gloves on over the fingerless and the windstopper over the ss jersey, still warm enough for shorts though. Hardly any wind which was a bonus.

I've a new triangle frame bag for the bike and it is a bit big, which means I can only get one bottle cage on the bike, so rather than taking my usual two 750ml bottles I only had one. At 57 miles I stopped and bought a can of coke and a 500ml bottle of water, put them in my back pockets and promptly forgot about them.

On my commutes home from work on Wednesday nights I see people doing a 10mile TT, so I thought I would have a go at it when I got there. I arrived at 66 miles so no surprise I am right near the bottom of the Strava leaderboard! Though I did do it in 32 minutes, which I was chuffed with as I work out all my rides at 15mph and this was 18.5mph. The Strava leader is 17:31!

At 80 miles I decided to stop and have a double decker and drink the coke that I had carried for just over 20 miles. Stopped on the village green in Bitteswell, and unusually for me I decided to take a couple of snaps.

WP_20150907_11_56_49_Pro.jpg

WP_20150907_11_56_55_Pro.jpg

As I sat there I decided I would head back to Leicester and go into the city centre and take a few snaps for the cycling photo challenge. I'd worked out I would hit 100 miles by the time I hit the city centre.

Was on 102 miles when I got to the football ground, then toured around the city snapping the rugby ground, cricket ground and racecourse:

WP_20150907_13_14_58_Pro.jpg

WP_20150907_13_18_19_Pro.jpg

WP_20150907_13_24_40_Pro.jpg

WP_20150907_13_39_48_Pro.jpg

By the time I got home I had done 109.5 miles and was very pleased to see I had an average moving time of 16.9mph

When I got in the house I took the bottle of water out of my back pocket and drank it, was a tad warm after being carried for over 50 miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/386891856

D

Deleted member 23692

I took the road bike out for the first time in over 7 weeks today. I've been riding my hybrid in the week too and from work, and the weekends have been cold, wet, windy or busy.

I'm off this work week so took advantage of the settled (but cool) weather and got the thing dusted off. I was only planning on doing my usual loop down to Calthwaite across to Hutton End then run back home. However when I got to Hutton End it was so nice I decided to cut over to Skelton, Ellonby and Lamonby before returning via Sowerby Row and Raughton Head.

I stopped for a quick breather after 23½ miles, at my usual place (Raughton Head) and took the obligatory photo

WP_20150907_12_48_14_Pro_zpsadp1vy5l.jpg

After 5 mins sat down I was starting to get a bit cool so I pressed on via Buckabank and Unthank, then cut over to Burthwaite for the last leg home. 33miles.

Here's a map...

6411869.png

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Fantastic @Edwardoka !

A day off for me today so I went for a ride. Not far from home I crossed over the top of the A428, a smug smile on my face as the commuters went by...
image.jpg

I turned for Knapwell in the chilly morning sun, thicker socks would have been good!
Through Elsworth and over the hill, but being careful as there were plenty of tear arsing commuters about. Across the A1198 and toward Graveley, but today I turned off up the dead end to Papworth St Agnes, I can now say I've been! The tower on the church was clad in scaffold but this end was as intended
image.jpg

Over the 428 at Croxton and down to Great Gransden before turning off to Waresley and Gamlingay. Coming down Hatley hill I just reached over 42mph, a car held back for me, luckily!
The next bit of road was a bit iffy, a fast B road down to eyeworth, I wasn't enjoying it at all, so the first sign for Ashwell was taken. I had a Belgian bun and a brew.

The church tower hiding....
image.jpg

The Ashwell village museum was well worth a picture, as you don't see many like this building-
image.jpg

I was heading north for a bit now with a bit of NE thrown in until I reached Great Shelford. I then made my way to Barton, then Haslingfield up over Barrington hill with 70 miles in my little hairy legs!
I stopped at Wimpole for a baguette and an Earl Grey (the diet of champions). I felt very young as the pensioners are out in force now the schools have gone back!
At the end of the drive way the cattle were up and about. daddy cow looking mean and muscly
image.jpg

The younger family members were quite happy to eat bicycles and lick cyclists legs

image.jpg

In the next paddock the shire horses were having some lessons in horse stuff

image.jpg

Out on the A1198 I had a ridiculous close pass from an Arla foods lorry, I'll be in touch.....
Out around the Gransdens, but never crossing my earlier path. I gave myself the treat of Long Road in Comberton, a yucky double hill with added head wind!
Down through Madingley village and around to Dry Drayton and back through to Hardwick. A quick shower then watch the end of the ToB, not a bad way to spend a Monday. 101 and a bit miles.
https://www.strava.com/activities/386894945

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Bealach Mor: 5th September 2015. 125 miles. ~9,500 feet

Strava links: Main ride | Achnasheen to Garve

The morning had dawned clear and cold, with a crispness that hinted at the end of summer when I set off from my hotel in Kyle of Lochalsh, and it was a chilly morning that met me in Wester Ross with the wind in the west, when I disembarked the train at Achnasheen.

The week before I had solo ridden the Highland Perthshire Challenge, so I knew before I started that I had no climbing legs with me at all and with ~9500 feet of elevation gain being the order of the day, I knew that I was going to be struggling.

I headed into the wind for the event start in Kinlochewe, met up with my work colleague and some of his clubmates at the event HQ and then met @tug benson at the start line.
Jamie ( @tug benson ) and I set off in the first group and had a good natter on the Cat 3 climb straight out of Kinlochewe, as a decent-sized peloton formed around us.

With the summit crest in sight, I gave my sprinting legs a kick, took a turn at the front, and only on looking back did I realise that I'd dropped the group.
I therefore claim my KOM points as I was the very first* person on the day over it :wahhey:

Hitting 44.7mph over the crest and down the other side, two other lads jumped off the front of the group and drafted me for a bit before jumping me in turn, I couldn't hold their wheels and eased up, let the pack catch up and then hopped back onto the tail of the group. I took another couple of turns at the front as I'm not very confident in group riding until the turnoff at Achnasheen but shortly after that when I fell back to recover I got dropped :sad: just before the two escapees were reeled in.
A similar thing happened with the second big group on the road when it caught me, I couldn't hold a wheel for long enough to stay on.

I was still doing reasonably well (albeit ploughing a lonely furrow) until Lochcarron where a roadside supporter took this photo of me:
EOMT2kN.jpg

On the climb out of Lochcarron I tried to use my climbing legs and was painfuly reminded that they weren't there and I backslid badly as rider after rider spun past me.

The turnoff at Tornapress that signals the start of the infamous Bealach na Ba climb appeared before I was psychologically ready for the climb, and even in my bottom gear and on the gentler lower slopes (7%) I could scarcely turn the pedals.
I was ~4mph down when compared to April's effort on the same climb and that's before the steep part (where, yes, I had to stop a couple of times :B))

I wasn't at all out of breath, I wasn't tired, my heart rate wasn't elevated, I simply couldn't put forth any effort, and I have no idea why.
I think I'm going to have to speak to someone about it, because it's a really disheartening thing to happen.

I had a horrible time on the climb, being unable to get my HR up or maintain my core temperature, the cold wind exacted a toll, to the point that when I arrived at the summit pallid and shaken, the volunteer marshals were very concerned about me and suggested that I sit in the van, drink some hot water and consider abandoning the ride rather than risking the descent while shoogly (which I didn't, because I'm an impetuous fool and a veritable God of Descending.)
Thankfully I recovered on the descent and after snaffling some food and painkillers at the food stop, I headed off onto the coast road.

The 37 (THIRTY SEVEN) climbs on the coast road didn't feel as hard as they did in April, but I think that's because I knew what was involved and could use my sprinting legs to blast up some of them before gravity realised what I was doing, although there were several that I had to crawl up in bottom gear.

From Shieldaig back to Kinlochewe was relatively easy compared to what had come before, although on the final valley drag from Torridon up to Kinlochewe there was another rider who put in a good effort to reel me in, who overtook me a couple of miles from the finish and then made it clear that he'd like nothing more than to beat me to the finish line.**

Crossing the line I encountered Jamie (who had effortlessly spun past me on the Bealach) in the food station and we swapped battle stories as I ate my way back to life, before setting off on the 9 mile climb to catch the train at Achnasheen - considerably slower than the first time I'd done the climb that morning!

Arriving at the train station an hour earlier than the train and being eaten alive by midges I decided to ride the 16 miles extra to the next station in Garve which was mostly downhill and with a tailwind I was able to get a good hoof on!
Sadly I didn't take any photos during the day because it really wasn't that kind of ride.
OYyhaoo.png

* and last, if you include the ride home after the event
** He failed, by about 5 seconds. Sprinting legs were all I had with me and I put them to good use!
Cracking write up @Edwardoka. Hope you are feeling a bit more refreshed today.

Simple ride again today - Wem Town Hall cafe for tea and cake. Was introduced to (not carrot cake but......wait for it......)

Chocolate and beetroot. I kid you not. But since life's short, and I don't like carrot cake much, I gave it a go. Was it significant that no-one else had tried it - mine was the first slice? Anyway, tea was required as I'd left my bottle of squash at home. And you can't have tea on its own, can you? S'not right.

Well, they told me that there was beetroot in it - but you really could not tell. Tasted like a very chocolatey chocolate cake to me. Very nice too.

31 very sunny, very pleasant and fairly flat Shropshire lanes miles. The warm-up for something much more ambitious later in the week.

Top Bottom