Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I was just at the edge of York when Mrs Vernon rang me to tell me that the Sunday dinner was going to be an hour earlier than expected. I could have completed the loop but I'd be chancing it if I was going to sit down with the rest of the family for the meal. I caught a train back to Leeds and pedalled home via the canal and Kirkstall. A modest thirty two miles, thirty less than planned.
I'm confused ... :wacko:

You had originally planned to use that hour to do an extra 30 miles? :whistle:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Still nice

Don't listen to the ol' granddad @rb58 up there...he's just jealous that my Ventus is quicker then his Enigma ;)

It's a Van Nicholas Ventus. (debadged - I didn't like the graphics, so got rid.)
And here's a better pic for you.
full?d=1423133556.jpg

Attachments

• full?d=1423133556.jpg
    full?d=1423133556.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 46
D

Deleted member 1258

Middleton Hall the destination, 50 miles the journey. The hall wasn't the original destination, I was aiming at a Garden Centre just outside Middleton, I hadn't been there for a while but I remember the Cafe as pleasant, when I got there it had gone upmarket, a bit too posh for me so I left and rode down to Middleton Hall. I took a fairly direct route out through Allesley, and up Harvest Hill lane and Kinwalesly lane onto the Maxstoke road, then Castle lane and past the Kingsbury Water Park to the A4091, I then used Brick Kiln lane to take me to Middleton and onto the garden Centre, I came back into Middleton then onto Middleton Hall. Leaving the Hall I turned left onto the A4091 and the left into Bodymoor Heath Rd and retraced my route to Kinwalsly Rd, but decided to carry on into Meriden, in Meriden I turned right by the Duck Pond to do a loop through Berkswell and ride into Coventry down Broad Lane. A cold day, though not as cold as some rides I've done recently, grey with a slight breeze, the breeze made for hard work in places on the way out, and most of the way back. The sting in the tail came tonight, I was cleaning and checking the bike ready for tomorrows commute and found I had a cracked left crank, I shall have to see if I've got a spare one in the shed tomorrow.

ColinJ

Middleton Hall the destination, 50 miles the journey. The hall wasn't the original destination, I was aiming at a Garden Centre just outside Middleton, I hadn't been there for a while but I remember the Cafe as pleasant, when I got there it had gone upmarket, a bit too posh for me so I left and rode down to Middleton Hall. I took a fairly direct route out through Allesley, and up Harvest Hill lane and Kinwalesly lane onto the Maxstoke road, then Castle lane and past the Kingsbury Water Park to the A4091, I then used Brick Kiln lane to take me to Middleton and onto the garden Centre, I came back into Middleton then onto Middleton Hall. Leaving the Hall I turned left onto the A4091 and the left into Bodymoor Heath Rd and retraced my route to Kinwalsly Rd, but decided to carry on into Meriden, in Meriden I turned right by the Duck Pond to do a loop through Berkswell and ride into Coventry down Broad Lane. A cold day, though not as cold as some rides I've done recently, grey with a slight breeze, the breeze made for hard work in places on the way out, and most of the way back. The sting in the tail came tonight, I was cleaning and checking the bike ready for tomorrows commute and found I had a cracked left crank, I shall have to see if I've got a spare one in the shed tomorrow.
I actually know a lot of the villages in today's report for once!

I made the same discovery when cleaning my bike once so I am currently riding with a 175 mm right crank and a 170 mm left crank! That actually suits me because my left leg is shorter than the right one and it now doesn't have to reach down so far at the bottom of the pedal stroke.

cracked-crank.jpg

Attachments

• cracked-crank.jpg
    cracked-crank.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 53
D

Deleted member 1258

I actually know a lot of the villages in today's report for once!

I made the same discovery when cleaning my bike once so I am currently riding with a 175 mm right crank and a 170 mm left crank! That actually suits me because my left leg is shorter than the right one and it now doesn't have to reach down so far at the bottom of the pedal stroke.

cracked-crank.jpg
My crank has gone vertically about a quarter of the way up and only a little way in, if I look closely I can just see the start of a horizontal crack just across from it, it seems a strange failure.

Attachments

• cracked-crank.jpg
    cracked-crank.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 49

ColinJ

No. I had two hours instead of three to do the extra thirty miles.
That makes perfect sense and I can't imagine why I didn't see it that way! :wacko:

You see problems where non exist. :thumbsup:
I have been accused of that many times before ... Someone once asked me to imagine what I would say if I won a fortune on the lottery and my response was "Oh, great - I suppose criminal gangs will now start kidnapping my loved ones and sending their body parts back one at a time until I hand over all my cash!" (A sentiment no doubt inspired by the kidnapping of John Paul Getty III.)

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
21 miles today. No wind not too cold even a bit of sun..not a bad ride.:smile:

maltloaf

My 5th club ride of the year today with the Kingsway CC. And mighty hilly it was too. Four of the buggers. Out to Stroud and back, via Horsepools Hill, a little shortcut down and back up again up the steep side of Painswick Hill, past the golf course on Catbrain Hill and then on to Cranham to take on the "Cranham Wall". When we reached the Wall, I broke my Golden Rule No2 and looked up. Big mistake. A wall of tarmac up ahead of me and a line of four of our club riders walking their bikes up ahead of me, and several others stopped at the side of the road resting. I resolved to keep my head down from that point and winched myself up very slowly in the granny gear, concentrating on the tarmac immediately beneath me and counting to 100 over and over again with my teeth clenched. Somehow I got up it without stopping.... yet still without overtaking any of those who were walking! That's twice I've beaten it now in two attempts. My Golden Rule No1, by the way, is never to stop before the top of a hill, and I managed to stick to that one four times today. A lovely long descent for 5 miles or so down the Slad Valley and a coffee break at the Saul Junction cafe made for a nice return route. A great ride today in great company. 35.3 miles.
I was one of the riders that was beaten by the wall today. Didn't know what was coming and didn't realise I was only 100yds from the top when I put my foot down. Gutted to say the least as that's the first hill that's beaten me in ages. I will have my revenge!

Dark46

Veteran
Yesterday's ride with the KCC turned out together a hill affair. As I always arrive just before the set off in had no idea where we were going.

As I'm still getting used to my 700x28 tyres from 700x37 I'm still finding my feet around corner, each ride is new and a journey in more ways than one.

All in knew was that Horsepools was mentioned and I just followed the group as usual.

Up Horsepools as felt good and overtook @Donger and heard something like "put a sack of potatoes on his back, and see how easy he finds it". Well I got up setting a PB so that was really good and I felt good at the top as I thought it was longer than it was.

At the top the pelaton was waiting where we would turn into Sevenleaze lane, (it turns out my Garmin locked itself and stopped recording there) the lane was wet and muddy with a line of much in the middle of the lane. Part way up. The lane it was closed off at we had to take a diversion down a nasty little lane which was hilly wet and muddy. I wanted my 700x37 tyres back.

Part way up I passed poor Dave K who was walking up the incline and slipping on his cleats every now and then. At a intersection the pelaton where waiting for the stragglers and it was here is noticed the Garmin had locked. Even though I had stopped it was reading 17 mph!

It was here is heard that we where going over Painswick Beacon! Oh well Boxing day hill again lol. I've not been over the Beacon this way so somewhere new. Once over the Beacon then I heard "THE WALL" what a ride this was turning out to be.

As @Donger said earlier it's never good to look up while going up The Wall, especially when you see 4 people pushing their bikes up hill. But as @Donger said to me before "pick a gear and pace in plenty of time and stick too it" and it's worked for me.

From the Wall it was down hill into Slad Valley, which was a lovely change of pace and where I had chance to place a few people including @Donger and at @maltloaf.

A red mist desends and i have to apologise to @maltloaf as I should have warned him I was coming and pick my passing moment better!

Are the bottom we had a regroup of the pelaton and it was decided to go Saul Junction for coffee and cake!

From Saul it was the the loop and home. In the end 35.5 miles for me and not sure what climbing in should have had but my Garmin said 1319ft, but I think I lost out of 200 ft but there you go.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
IMG_20150215_152735.jpg
Managed a quick ride down the lane to try out my latest acquisition. Then back to the blasted decorating!
Should have the living room finished by the end of the week, so hopefully will be able to get out for some more serious rides.
Going to use this one for the Velo Vintage run in April.
IMG_20150215_152805.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom