Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavgav

Guru
My ride today was a mere 1.8 miles, crossing the Mawddach Estuary by the Barmouth bridge at 6.20 this morning, in the half-light before the sun had risen to light up the mountain tops. It was an inspiring start to the day. I then joined the first train of the day for the four-hour journey to Birmingham.

It was the last stage in a weekend ride through Mid and parts of North Wales, starting at Wolverhampton on Friday afternoon. I hadn’t ridden the loaded tourer for a while – with the weight and the hills it is a different game from my usual ride and I soon realised I would have to cut back my planned mileage for the next 3 days.

On day 1 I only got as far as Ludlow, about 40 miles, and laid out my bivi on Whitcliffe Common, a wooded hillside overlooking Ludlow castle. I probably surprised one or two late dog-walkers but had a comfortable night.

Shropshire - Clee Hill ; Ludlow from Whitcliffe Common
View attachment 103010 View attachment 103011
It rained for about 2 hours on Saturday morning. I took the hilliest route possible to Knighton, where I stopped for a full breakfast and chatted to two other sometime cyclists. Not a Welsh person in the café, only English and South African escapees and Australian tourists, but the best breakfast I’ve had for a long time.
I took minor roads to Llanidloes. Mid-Wales is in some ways better cycling country than North Wales as it has a huge web of tiny roads, which are often exquisitely beautiful but excruciatingly steep. It is lovely countryside, with astonishingly vivid greens – I sometimes felt like I was in a photograph with the saturation turned right up.

Mid-Wales scenery
View attachment 103013 View attachment 103014
Continuing north, I got to Dinas Mawddwy at 7 o’clock, and slogged very slowly up to the Bwlch Oerddrws pass on the A470, where I knew of a good camping spot, behind a wall and away from the road. It was a cold night but with amazing stars, although I saw less and less of them as I pulled the sleeping bag ever tighter around me.

Bwlch Oerddrws at sunset ; View from my campsite in the morning
View attachment 103015 View attachment 103016
On Sunday I did 94 miles in a kind of strange S-shape, to finish at Barmouth in the evening. I rode first past Talyllyn lake down to the coast road near Llwyngwril, for the magnificent cliff route down to Fairbourn. I took a particularly steep lane into the hills past Kings Youth hostel, then coasted into Dolgellau from the Cadair Idris road.

Cadair Idris ; Talyllyn
View attachment 103017 View attachment 103018
I followed the A494 up to Bala and another café stop, then turned NW on the minor road to the south of Llyn Celyn reservoir, and under the looming bulk of Arenig Fach. From there on it all went more quickly. I zoomed down through Cwm Prysor to Trawsfynydd, then the A470 southwards with the outline of the Rhinogs away over moorland on my right. I reached Barmouth just after sunset, and had some fish and chips before heading over Barmouth bridge to another bivi spot for the night.

Barmouth bridge
View attachment 103020
and yours truly
View attachment 103021
My dad has bought a caravan up Barmouth way and so I'm hoping to cycle some of that country soon. Looks fabulous!

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Yesterdays brief ride included avoiding no less than 5 squirrels, all of which seemed to have a gob full of nuts etc. A slightly less exciting pedal to Sainsburys this afternoon for carrots saw me taking the long way round, and smiling as I pedaled past the huge traffic queues:smile:
Just over 14 miles so far this week, not bad considering I'm on night shifts.

@cosmicbike

Looks like I've been out-Squirreled - although mine was a red! :smile:

Mike_P

Guru
I've just speed-read about 6 pages of ride reports to catch up. As usual, there are some very inspiring rides listed, and some great photos but I think that one or two of you should perhaps invest in better cameras? You've ridden to some wonderful places but a few of the pictures haven't quite done them justice. I just bought a Canon S120 for that very reason. My phone camera sometimes took good pictures in the right light conditions, but results were often a bit hit and miss. (You'll be able to see examples of what my new camera can do in my report below. Those pictures are all cropped out of much bigger photos.)
Hi Colin, the vast majority of mine are freezed video frames from a Lidl Sports cam on the handlebars, I do take a 10 zoom Galaxy S4 with me which gives pretty good photos in most conditions although the shot of Brimham Rocks was straight into the sun and maybe I should have played with the settings on it a bit more. It was playing with the camera function that caused me accidentally to stop Strava from recording my ride later that day; think an early morning is called for in a couple of weeks time for a trip to Aldi for a Garmin 500.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hi Colin, the vast majority of mine are freezed video frames from a Lidl Sports cam on the handlebars, I do take a 10 zoom Galaxy S4 with me which gives pretty good photos in most conditions although the shot of Brimham Rocks was straight into the sun and maybe I should have played with the settings on it a bit more. It was playing with the camera function that caused me accidentally to stop Strava from recording my ride later that day; think an early morning is called for in a couple of weeks time for a trip to Aldi for a Garmin 500.
I have a Galaxy S4 phone and I took some nice pictures with it, but some others were disappointing. I decided that I liked using a dedicated camera but wanted a small one so I bought the Canon S120 which fits in a small bag which I strap to my handlebar stem.

I still use the camera in the phone because I don't always carry the Canon when out and about.

I really should read the manuals for the camera and the phone because I just leave them set to automatic, which probably explains the variable quality of the photos!

Saluki

World class procrastinator
https://www.strava.com/activities/388039353

Only my second ride this month. Packing and awful weather has been my excuse.
I really wanted to get out tonight but the dogs needed a good walk first so we actually left the house at around 9.50 this evening. We rode down the Marriotts to the city and then, on the cycle ways, through the middle of the city, up St Stephens Street, over the roundabout and up along the A140 Ipswich Road and turned off for Keswick and then headed to Cringleford and over the A11.
We took a steady ride through the Hospital Complex then through Eaton Park and the UEA Campus and then home.
11.82 miles in a bit over an hour. Nice ride on a really nice evening. Low cloud so lots of visibility and so so quiet on the back roads.

Forgive me Your Ride today for I have sinned, it has been a whole month since my last ride...
Pleased to get out at last, three weeks of illness and one week of holiday meant no riding, but the sun was shining on the Devon countryside today and Mrs ID went to work so a 'make it up as you go along' route was on. 51.2k and 769 meters later I'm home. Pleased with that, particularly the number of ascents I bloody mindedly took on in one ride. Stopped a lot for photos but managed all the climbs non-stop.
Only cramp arrived as I was trying to catch a racer type bloke up the 200 meter hill which takes me home (I know, I know... me on my 12kg tourer, him on some light carbon thing and weighing about 20 kilos less but you know the feeling yourself..like a dog has to chase a ball...). Luckily he didn't look back to see my grimace and waving my right leg about in pain as I turned into my road...not the warm down gentleness I normally finish with...
Some pics.
View attachment 103116
This is up at one of my favourite high points, Straightaway Head, only 3k from home. Pictures never do the panorama from here any justice.
View attachment 103117
Points for 'bike leaning against sign saying No Parking' cliche use.

View attachment 103118
There is a Kingfisher in there somewhere, I saw it arrive and dive in for fish but no long lens sadly.

View attachment 103120
I spied someone was keeping an Airstream caravan in there, iconic.

View attachment 103127
The route. Many junctions where I just headed one way or the other and worried about how to connect it all afterwards...:smile:
Consider yourself forgiven .

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
3rd day off work, our lass asked me if I was bored of going out riding yet (she has to go to work this week - shame) I said no, but I was thinking of doing a shorter ride. Well I set off just after 7, weather forecast was cloudy, but brightening up later and just the odd chance of a light shower. After a couple of miles I thought sod it, might as well do a decent distance, otherwise I would just be sat at home watching the telly, or if boredom set in I might end up cutting the grass :wacko:

Sit at home and watch the telly or enjoy the peace and quiet and views like this? Easy choice.

WP_20150909_09_24_37_Pro.jpg

Last couple of days I've noticed a lot of these signs, anyway today I decided to follow this one and it took me down a cracking little road with great views, so I might follow a few more of them!

WP_20150909_09_35_54_Pro.jpg

After feeling completely knackered yesterday I decided that I would head into Leicester city centre for the last 30 miles or so as it would mean a nice relaxing flat ride along the cycle paths and through the parks.

Spot the heron time.

WP_20150909_12_57_03_Pro.jpg

A couple of snaps of Abbey Park - this is in the middle of the city and I go through it everyday to and from work, why anyone would want to drive and miss this I don't know.

WP_20150909_13_35_31_Pro.jpg

WP_20150909_13_35_42_Pro.jpg

and finally the little cygnets in Watermead Park are no longer little

WP_20150909_13_13_22_Pro.jpg

105.48 miles in total, time for a shower and a brew.

https://www.strava.com/activities/388415848

13 rider

Guru
Day off work so after daily chores including cutting the grass ( my lawn looks better than @Supersuperleeds he's not got time to cut his ) Out with the bike no plan but just do a few miles .Anstey ,Cropston, Swithland,Woodhouse Eaves, was going to do Beacon hill climb but decided to do a different climb I not done before so at the bottom of the beacon swung right on to break back rd then left on to Deans lane climb a long drag at a steady gradient got to the top a realised why I not done it before its hard next time I am going up the beacon .Right at the bottom and back to the crossroads Right here and rejoined a regular route out to St Bernard's Abbey out to Belton and Shepshed and back. At this point I decided to stay out a complete another 50km ride so back up the beacon the easy way and down the super fast descent the other side all the way to Quorn On to Mountsorrel ,Rothley ,Cropston and Home. 35.5 miles at 15.2 mph 2056 ft of climbing lovely ride in blustery conditions ( go away wind please) only saw 4 other cyclist today were was everyone. On the last climb to home caught a rider on a MTB slowly climbing the little hill before the main climb pulled alongside on the false flat and we had a quick chat about rolling resistance before I hit the after burners and hit the hill before home at full gas . I got home and put the bike away got in the front room just as mtber passed looking tired knobbly tyres look hard work . Total milage since I started riding nearly a year ago is now 2913 .I have 14 days to round it up to 3000 miles for my first year of riding

Last edited:

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Been tempted a couple of times with one of those but have been put off by the combined cost and postage;did you get done for import dutyat all?

I did get the Classics challenge bidons though;one's kept as a sort of trophy and the other's being used.

No import duty, was covered. I thought long and hard before buying it, as it is so expensive, but you know what, after wearing it twice now it's my favourite jersey (and I have quite a few!) in terms of comfort, lightness, and the fact the weatherproofed zipped phone pocket actually takes the iPhone 6, which many don't!

In fact, if I hadn't missed the cut off date for purchase, I would have bought the 150km Gran Fondo shirt too, and that was bloody orange! :biggrin:

The current one they are offering is an affront to my eyes.

I have a Galaxy S4 phone and I took some nice pictures with it, but some others were disappointing. I decided that I liked using a dedicated camera but wanted a small one so I bought the Canon S120 which fits in a small bag which I strap to my handlebar stem.

I still use the camera in the phone because I don't always carry the Canon when out and about.

I really should read the manuals for the camera and the phone because I just leave them set to automatic, which probably explains the variable quality of the photos!

S120 is a lovely camera. I wonder though why you didn't go for the Sony RX100? (not meaning to derail the thread).

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Day off work so after daily chores including cutting the grass ( my lawn looks better than @Supersuperleeds he's not got time to cut his ) Out with the bike no plan but just do a few miles .Anstey ,Cropston, Swithland,Woodhouse Eaves, was going to do Beacon hill climb but decided to do a different climb I not done before so at the bottom of the beacon swung right on to break back rd then left on to Deans lane climb a long drag at a steady gradient got to the top a realised why I not done it before its hard next time I going up the beacon .Right at the bottom and back to the crossroads Right here and rejoined a regular route out to St Bernard's Abbey out to Belton and Shepshed and back. At this point I decided to stay out a complete another 50km ride so back up the beacon the easy way and down the super fast descent the other side all the way to Quorn On to Mountsorrel ,Rothley ,Cropston and Home. 35.5 miles at 15.2 mph 2056 ft of climbing lovely ride in blustery conditions ( go away wind please) only saw 4 other cyclist today were was everyone. On the last climb to home caught a rider on a MTB slowly climbing the little hill before the main climb pulled alongside on the false flat and we had a quick chat about rolling resistance before I hit the after burners and hit the hill before home at full gas . I got home and put the bike away got in the front room just as mtber passed looking tired knobbly tyres look hard work . Total milage since I started riding nearly a year ago is now 2913 .I have 14 days to round it up to 3000 miles for my first year of riding

That back route up beacon is a killer, much harder than the main road, but at least it has a lot less traffic on it.

3rd day off work, our lass asked me if I was bored of going out riding yet (she has to go to work this week - shame) I said no, but I was thinking of doing a shorter ride. Well I set off just after 7, weather forecast was cloudy, but brightening up later and just the odd chance of a light shower. After a couple of miles I thought sod it, might as well do a decent distance, otherwise I would just be sat at home watching the telly, or if boredom set in I might end up cutting the grass :wacko:

Sit at home and watch the telly or enjoy the peace and quiet and views like this? Easy choice.

View attachment 103199

Last couple of days I've noticed a lot of these signs, anyway today I decided to follow this one and it took me down a cracking little road with great views, so I might follow a few more of them!

View attachment 103198

After feeling completely knackered yesterday I decided that I would head into Leicester city centre for the last 30 miles or so as it would mean a nice relaxing flat ride along the cycle paths and through the parks.

Spot the heron time.

View attachment 103200

A couple of snaps of Abbey Park - this is in the middle of the city and I go through it everyday to and from work, why anyone would want to drive and miss this I don't know.

View attachment 103201
View attachment 103202

and finally the little cygnets in Watermead Park are no longer little

View attachment 103203

105.48 miles in total, time for a shower and a brew.

https://www.strava.com/activities/388415848
Views like that or cut the grass.......wise choice made there...

Day off work so after daily chores including cutting the grass ( my lawn looks better than @Supersuperleeds he's not got time to cut his ) Out with the bike no plan but just do a few miles .Anstey ,Cropston, Swithland,Woodhouse Eaves, was going to do Beacon hill climb but decided to do a different climb I not done before so at the bottom of the beacon swung right on to break back rd then left on to Deans lane climb a long drag at a steady gradient got to the top a realised why I not done it before its hard next time I going up the beacon .Right at the bottom and back to the crossroads Right here and rejoined a regular route out to St Bernard's Abbey out to Belton and Shepshed and back. At this point I decided to stay out a complete another 50km ride so back up the beacon the easy way and down the super fast descent the other side all the way to Quorn On to Mountsorrel ,Rothley ,Cropston and Home. 35.5 miles at 15.2 mph 2056 ft of climbing lovely ride in blustery conditions ( go away wind please) only saw 4 other cyclist today were was everyone. On the last climb to home caught a rider on a MTB slowly climbing the little hill before the main climb pulled alongside on the false flat and we had a quick chat about rolling resistance before I hit the after burners and hit the hill before home at full gas . I got home and put the bike away got in the front room just as mtber passed looking tired knobbly tyres look hard work . Total milage since I started riding nearly a year ago is now 2913 .I have 14 days to round it up to 3000 miles for my first year of riding
Get slabs the two of you then cycle all day long......

Alex H

Legendary Member
Another sunny day, but a bit nippy in the barn this morning (12°C), so a long sleeved jersey is in order. The forecast is for 23°C so a trip to Nieul and straight back - no 'investigating' dead ends today ^_^

Crossed the Vienne at Saint Brice as usual - this is the old Post Office

P9090070.JPG

Up the other side of the valley and onto the old Route de Limoges to La Barre where there is this water tower - in French it's a chateau d'eau (as they're usually on top of a hill, it's downhill from here, for a bit at least :rolleyes:)

P9090071.JPG

Passed 2 motorcycle Gendarmes parked up having a chat - first time I've seen one for a few weeks :ohmy:

Followed the incredibly straight road from La Barre to Veyrac then Saint Gence. Magically changed into the most curvy road in the area for the last few km to Nieul.

Nieul is a small town with a chateau - which houses a library, an exhibition centre, magistrates court and other bits.

P9090072.JPG

There's a very nice park in front with a lake - ideal for a food stop :smile:

P9090073.JPG

Took the same road back and found this field of Limousine cows (well, the back half mostly :laugh:)

P9090074.JPG

Continued on my reverse route - said 'Bonjour' again to the Gendarmes, who were still there, still chatting :wacko:

Crossed the Vienne again at Saint Brice by the highly originally named 'Pont de Saint Brice-sur-Vienne'

Lots of white bits floating in the river - leaves I suspect.

P9090075.JPG

67km in 3 hours :okay:

Top Bottom