Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Old jon

Guru
You might have to make the post 'Public' for us to be able to view it. :smile:

I may get the hang of this stuff sometime, I posted the Weston video and one from yesterday on YouTube, and I did make them public. I think.
Like the old man I am, I cannot find the links and succesfully paste them on this tablet I am using. Will repost them tomorrow, food is calling right now.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
A sparkling afternoon here in the flatlands in the sunshine, for a ride to Upware and Wicken and then back.

image.jpg

Wicken Lode. I walked this bit just to savour the tranquility of the place for a little longer.

image.jpg

Burwell Fen. Wicken had been relatively busy with a lot of peds /dogs on the shared use path. But it's no problem if you don't mind slowing/ stopping a lot which I don't . Shame the same can't be said for the roadie who barrelled on through a group of elderly folks on a guided walk shouting BIKE! as he roared through them. I do really wonder what the hell is wrong with people sometimes.

image.jpg

From Reach Lode bridge the Konik ponies were close by. Although it looks like one of the traveller's horses (the black one) has joined them but they don't seem to mind. A very placid breed they are.

I sat in the sun for a while watching marsh harriers and stonechats, and could feel its strength still. It's good to savour these final warm days of the year, though I tend to spend these times worrying about stuff instead of enjoying the moment. Anyway, 17 miles in total in several hours. I'm not one to be troubling the good people at Strava any time soon. ^_^

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Another lovely sunny day for a bike ride. I'd arranged to meet some friends from Worcester, at Cannock Chase.

Bundled the bike into the car and had a trouble free journey to Cannock, arriving in time to bundle the bike back out of the car, ready for my friends to arrive about 10 minutes later.

They have a 9 yr old daughter and so it was a gentle ride planned, following the green (Fairoak) trail and the blue (Sherbrook) trail.

It was packed at the Birches Valley Car Park and we soon realised why as there was a Memory Walk for Dementia, taking place, which made it even slower going than it would have been. The gravel trails were mainly in good state, with a few loose trickier bits, for my Hybrid bike at least.

There is quite a bit of climbing to start with, certainly for a 9 yr old anyhow!, before it flattens out along the Sherbrook Valley, where we stopped for a bite to eat. Whilst doing so we were approached by a distraught lady who had lost her Springer Spaniel. We hadn't seen it, but vowed to keep an eye open. She said that the dog didn't have a collar on though! Seems rather irresponsible to me, but I'm not a Dog owner and so probably not in a place to comment really. We then had a dog running up the hill towards us (not a springer) again with no collar on it, with no owners anywhere in sight. Phil tried to stop it, but it clearly didn't want to stop and continued off into the distance, at speed. About 5 mins later the owner came running up the hill, shouting the dog and so we told him in which direction the dog had gone and he continued to run in the hope of catching him.

We finished our lunch and continued on to Abrahams Valley, where I mistakenly tried to cheer up the rapidly tiring Jess, by saying I think it will be flat along here........hmmm it was the hilliest part of the ride :ohmy:. I think she let me off when I decided to do a bit of "off roading" on some more technical bits of the ride and made her laugh!

We crept along the remainder of the blue route, with a few tears and whines from Jess, but she did very well really!

Sue and Jess had a moment, when we reached the stream, with both getting stuck half way and ending up Paddling :laugh:

Back at the Visitor Centre we indulged in Coffee and Cake, having done 12.7 miles with a surprising 870ft of climbing.

Bundled bike back in car and had a good drive home.

Fabulous day

Good stuff, and a useful reminder you don't have to do 60 miles at roadie pace to have a grand time on a bike.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
LET'S GO TO THE SEASIDE!!

Who doesn't like going to the seaside.. no one... so today's destination was that there Brighton. A lovely sunny, but slightly chilly day and an even lovelier tailwind made for a very quick ride down to the south coast.

I've lost count of the amount of times I have done Ditchling Beacon. Today's climb was for perfect conditions. Very little traffic and a sunny day making for stunning views that never fail to impress. Except, for some reason I found it one of the hardest ascents that I have done of it. Not sure why. Just felt out of sorts. For the first time I had to get right down on the lowest gear. But climb it I did. And what goes up. must go down.. the descent into Brighton is always a joy, even that naughty little climb past the golf course that no one ever remembers until they are on it.

Descending into the town itself I was overtaken by at least 50 motorbikes. There was a bike rally being held on Madeira Drive. The thousands of bikes and all the noise that they bring with them was a sight and sound to behold.

A lovely day with blue skies and diamonds dancing on the sea meant Fish and Chips (& mushy peas)... a fitting lunch indeed.

The return meant for a far tougher ride home as the windy Gods decided to taunt my every pedal revolution with a cheeky headwind.

So, 110 miles for the day. Century # 27 for the year, 161 over all and a rise of the Eddington number to 106.

Great riding, great day.

111015.jpg

Cuckfield
20151011_101902.jpg

Atop of Ditchling Beacon
20151011_110525.jpg

Looking back down the road
20151011_110557.jpg

Brighton Beach
20151011_113738.jpg

Fish & Chips
20151011_113726.jpg

Furnace Pond, Slaugham. (pron. Slaffam)
20151011_141301.jpg

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Yesterdays ride, as usual...

A mate was dropping his wife and son at Heathrow for a trip home to Rio for a few months, so, once he was back home to Northampton, we had planned to meet up at 14:00 at his place for coffee and then a pedal.

As it's my weekend off, I got out a bit earlier to enjoy the day..

DSC_2518.JPG

Just behind B&Q, on a Nene tributary, a cheery wave and hello was exchanged. Lovely way to travel!

I was on my CX and had already done about 25 miles around the backwaters and canal banks before hitting the tarmac through a new housing development on the west of the town before riding, via Duston, into Harleston Firs for a while.

DSC_2521.JPG

Some of the trails were more suitable for my MTB, so I turned back onto less gloopy parts of the area!
It was nice to give the bike a challenge off-road, even if the Marathon Plus's were more suited to drier surfaces.... Slip sliding away at several points, especially as I was clipless.. :ohmy:

Once we'd met up, we headed for a few places he'd not ridden before (it's always good to find new trails to ride!)

IMG_20151011_195517.png

There are quite a few unofficial trails at the top of Delapre Park and behind the golf course to play on. Sadly, once again, wrong bike, wrong tyres, but I did give it a go! :ph34r:

Once we'd slithered out of there, I was needing to get home as I was picking my granddaughter up to stay for the weekend, so we tootled back via the Washlands and Lings woods before parting ways.

Great ride, 40 miles, on tarmac, trails and mud...

https://www.strava.com/activities/410121923

:smile:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Good stuff, and a useful reminder you don't have to do 60 miles at roadie pace to have a grand time on a bike.
True indeed, like we had a fabulous time yesterday riding around Loch Rannoch!
I'm a day behind, had to stop editing pictures last night, as work was looming in the morning.
Four of us set out on Saturday to meet @SatNavSaysStraightOn plus hubby Stuart on holiday in Loch Rannoch: me, @Fubar, @Pale Rider, @User9609.
The weather stayed fair for the whole day, which is unusual for Scotland in October. I had waterproofs at the ready, just in case, ended up taking my upper layer off.
I was met at Rannoch station by @SatNavSaysStraightOn's hubby, who showed me some interesting local ... stones! ^_^
Here is the Frog Stone:
20151010_113528 (640x557).jpg
I did stop several times to take more pictures, Stuart was a model of patience with this slow coach :notworthy:
Still, the 10 miles to the holiday cottage were reached much faster than had I ridden them alone :laugh:
I was the last one to arrive, met the rest of the posse, all apart from @Fubar and I were meeting for the first time, which was lovely, nice to have banter face to face with folks you feel you already know from forum banter.
What a feast of homebaking @SatNavSaysStraightOn put on the table for us, ignoring the twinges of her bad back: thanks so much for your effort Emma, scones are lovely, forgot to taste some of the soda bread! :hungry:
Our ride around the Loch was at Pat 5mph speed, loved every minute of it, being shown the wildlife, looking at the scenery.
@SatNavSaysStraightOn's trike is awesome, and so is the rider!
... hope this embedding media feature works.
It was a 3 hour train journey each way for me, well worth it for the pleasure of this ride in such good company.
Suddenly, it's 2 hours to my train back, we are 18 miles from the station: will Pat 5mph make it? @Fubar had already left to catch his train, while I'm still chatting away.
Well, I made it in one hour 15 minutes (why are moors always up a hill?), including a comfort break :blush: a "ohhh, it's a stag, hellooo" break, plus two more picture stops.
At the deserted station, a deer family made an appearance: yes, more photos ^_^
More pictures here. Actually I took many more, but it seems I have reached my quota on CC, so will link of a FB album in the future.
Useful fact if you find yourself in the area: Rannoch Station does not lock their toilets after the staff goes home.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Short 16.6 miles today. Took the CX's along the cycle route to Nactoc then back on the back roads and down to Levington marina and then took the trails back to the rear of Felixstowe docks. The marshes were really pretty, the visitor centre shut. Locked loos near all that running water, not funny.
We didn't even average quite 10mph, had a blast and enjoyed the sun. I haven't to as far as strava yet as on the tablet this evening.

https://www.strava.com/activities/411400652
Edited to add the Strava link. Borrowing some wifi again.

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
30 miles today east to the A1 and, after yesterdays post box and phone box, in Farnham I found a phone box and a tandem
Farnham tandem.jpg

I have posted a picture of the church at Arkendale before but one seems that bit more dramatic (bar the overhead wires) along with the autumnal trees
Arkendale2.jpg

Headed south down Moor Lane (post box and phone box passed but somewhat separated from "The Old Post Office") to the fringes of Coneythorpe where a lane heads back to the eastern edge of Arkendale, its former role a bit obvious from the road sign despite its lack of width
Coney.jpg

Now serves a few houses and as far as a new alignment alongside the A1(M) is reasonable but beyond there with no traffic from the A1 to Arkendale any more its becoming a mere field access with consequential muddy stretches. The local landscape around here will change as North Yorks County Council have given themselves permission to build a "energy-from-waste" plant on the east side of the A1(M)/A168 and work is underway as highlighted by the distant cranes
allerton.jpg

Headed into Staveley where the village entrance almost has its own traffic calming feature in the retained bridge abutments of a long closed railway line
Staveley2.jpg

Knaresborough brought the days canine incident, the glance back and the dog thinks I will walk in front of the cyclist
Kboro.jpg

Oddly stopping for the dog was the only incident as the tourists were well behaved and responded for once to the ringing of the bell; weaving between them meant for once the vid cam picked up a cracking shot of the viaduct.
Kboro2.jpg

Oct11.jpg

Last edited:

Fubar

Guru
True indeed, like we had a fabulous time yesterday riding around Loch Rannoch!
I'm a day behind, had to stop editing pictures last night, as work was looming in the morning.
Four of us set out on Saturday to meet @SatNavSaysStraightOn plus hubby Stuart on holiday in Loch Rannoch: me, @Fubar, @Pale Rider, @User9609.
The weather stayed fair for the whole day, which is unusual for Scotland in October. I had waterproofs at the ready, just in case, ended up taking my upper layer off.
I was met at Rannoch station by @SatNavSaysStraightOn's hubby, who showed me some interesting local ... stones! ^_^
Here is the Frog Stone:
View attachment 106511
I did stop several times to take more pictures, Stuart was a model of patience with this slow coach :notworthy:
Still, the 10 miles to the holiday cottage were reached much faster than had I ridden them alone :laugh:
I was the last one to arrive, met the rest of the posse, all apart from @Fubar and I were meeting for the first time, which was lovely, nice to have banter face to face with folks you feel you already know from forum banter.
What a feast of homebaking @SatNavSaysStraightOn put on the table for us, ignoring the twinges of her bad back: thanks so much for your effort Emma, scones are lovely, forgot to taste some of the soda bread! :hungry:
Our ride around the Loch was at Pat 5mph speed, loved every minute of it, being shown the wildlife, looking at the scenery.
@SatNavSaysStraightOn's trike is awesome, and so is the rider!
... hope this embedding media feature works.
It was a 3 hour train journey each way for me, well worth it for the pleasure of this ride in such good company.
Suddenly, it's 2 hours to my train back, we are 18 miles from the station: will Pat 5mph make it? @Fubar had already left to catch his train, while I'm still chatting away.
Well, I made it in one hour 15 minutes (why are moors always up a hill?), including a comfort break :blush: a "ohhh, it's a stag, hellooo" break, plus two more picture stops.
At the deserted station, a deer family made an appearance: yes, more photos ^_^
More pictures here. Actually I took many more, but it seems I have reached my quota on CC, so will link of a FB album in the future.
Useful fact if you find yourself in the area: Rannoch Station does not lock their toilets after the staff goes home.

Not much more I can add to Pat, @Pale Rider, @SatNavSaysStraightOn and @User9609's write up's - my pics aren't as good! Lovely day out meeting new folks and having a laugh, our hosts were very welcoming (the soda bread was cracking Pat), the weather behaved, scenery was great and @SatNavSaysStraightOn is one gutsy lady (with a very patient hubby!).

Leaving everyone at Kinloch Rannoch gave me 1 hour to cover around 16 miles to catch the train, which made it... Interesting! Rolling into Blair Atholl with 7 minutes to spare was Squeaky Bum Time!

Thanks everyone, really enjoyed it.

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
Having missed out on a Sunday ride last week for no other reason than "duvet", I wasn't about to let the malaise set in again, so I took off on a route out to Ilkley. I took the direct route there, circumnavigating Bradford (a city best seen from a distance) and through Shipley and Guiseley. The return leg was more circuitous: up to Burley Woodhead and over the moors down into Bingley. Eschewing the quick route home I did the climb through Cottingley, Allerton and Thornton to Queensbury, from where it was plain sailing.

Oh, and I crashed a bit. Turning right behind a car which had made the turn left from the opposite direction, the driver slowed making me take evasive action into the kerb. I unclipped and made a hurried dismount but my momentum pitched me forwards onto my front. Grazes to knee and (bizarrely) chin. F*ck. The nearside brake hood was twisted out of alignment too. Double f*ck.

Anyway enough of my gripes. You want pics? Of course you do!

This is up on t'moor between Ilkley and Bingley overlooking Reva reservoir.
DSC_0368.jpg

Looking in the opposite direction we see Otley Chevin, outcropping like only an outcrop can.
DSC_0367.jpg

Actual distance covered was about 50 miles but knobhead here forgot to restart Armin the Garmin in Ilkley town centre so recorded less. :cursing:
As for elevation, Armin said just shy of 4,000 feet. Strava dispute this and say 3,434 feet. I know who I prefer to believe... :whistle:

https://www.strava.com/activities/410816808

:okay:

Simple 11.5, over the Wetheral Viaduct and up through Great Corby past Corby Castle grounds. Left at the T Junction and down through HeadsNook to Corby Hill for a paper. Heading up Warwick Bank on the A69, get scalped by a woman a mountain bike, she's pedaling 20 to the dozen 50 yards higher up she has stalled, as I pass I remark "best slow and steady on this hill" :evil: silly but satisfying. :tongue:Turn right at the top of the bank and head towards Home Eden and home.

Last edited by a moderator:
Excuse cross posting from show us your newbie progress
Did the Epic- Box Hill Sportive.
It was only 8 days since legs of steel, and could still feel the after-effects slightly.
I rode conservatively, though as it went I still foud it very tough.

First was an ascent of Box Hill, very routine for me. Then the rather steeper Ranmore Common climb.
There was a norther loop up through Effingham and Ockham and West Horsley, then a climb of a hill called perhaps Shere Hill I had not done before, quite tough

Then a smaller climb near Albury called Radnor Road climb
There were Ravens at the top (quite uncommon in Surrey)
THe next 60 odd miles were what looked on the profile to be undulating terrain. However it was quite wearing, there were few flats and by the time the proper hills started again, was quite tired in the legs
Route followed a typically loopy sportive route, via Cranleigh, Godalming, Hascombe, and down to near Billingshurst in Sussex.

Serious hills again were Box Hill and White Downs
The latter I found quite hard, and there were a few shell shocked cyclists at the finish

NOt a ride for quick times!

102.86 miles @ 13.3 mph
Feet climbed were 7615 feet, most I have done
https://www.strava.com/activities/411001082

Last edited:

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
Sure enough, three quarters of the way round, just as I was indicating left and about to change lanes, some twonk in a red Audi accelerated past me only inches away from me to my left. 106304-1c5bdba97b020bdfc2f4da735843604d.jpg . I was on my best behaviour and let it go. Too nice a ride to go getting all het up. Feeling chilled. A nice ride.
Donger

He's probably worried about his emissions & somewhat distracted.:secret:

Burwell Fen. Wicken had been relatively busy with a lot of peds /dogs on the shared use path. But it's no problem if you don't mind slowing/ stopping a lot which I don't . Shame the same can't be said for the roadie who barrelled on through a group of elderly folks on a guided walk shouting BIKE! as he roared through them. I do really wonder what the hell is wrong with people sometimes.

I'm grateful that most people who ride along my stretch of canal do so sensibly

Last edited:
Top Bottom