Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Got up this morning and cleaned all my bikes. Was a bit cold first thing, but by the time I had cleaned the last one it was much warmer. Our lass by that time had set of for Abingdon with her brother to go see another brother and her dad - in the car, not on bikes. Eldest lad was out at his girlfriends and youngest was still in bed. Sod it, I'm going out for a spin.

I decided to go climb Polly Botts after @13 rider taking the mickey out of me avoiding it on another thread. It's roughly 12 miles away, so a 25 mile round trip sounded just about right.

I decided to take it nice and steady and went straight into town and then jumped on Route 63 which would take me to Groby. After 4 or 5 miles of really struggling I realised the back brake was sticking tight on one side and I couldn't get the lowest gear; I can't have put the wheel back in properly after cleaning the bike so loosened it and retightened it; quickly tweaked the indexing and was away. Obviously every slight climb I was thinking the back brake was stuck again, but it seemed to be okay and the gears were shifting better.

At Glenfield I found a shared path that took me all the way to Ratby, was called the Ivanhoe Trail - was brilliant, tarmac all the way for a good two miles, completely traffic free and got me across the A46 and the M1, will use that more often I think.

Got to Polly Botts, there was a cyclist stopped at the bottom, slowed to check he was okay, he was. So I shot up the first part of the climb in the highest gear got round the first bend and out of sight of the other cyclist, dropped the bike into the lowest gear and blew out of my arse all the way up ^_^ (When I got home I noticed I was a tiny bit quicker than someone else on here :tongue:)

After that I went up Priory Lane, which I think is harder than Polly Botts, then up to Beacon Hill and then 3 miles of downhill and with the car behind me staying well back I had the opportunity to really push it (for me!) I was surprised when I only hit 40mph, I've done faster on much shorter descents - though a bit steeper.

After that it was a nice meander through a couple of villages, back through town and home. 39 miles done

https://www.strava.com/activities/409996886

13 rider

Guru
I love riding that way but never seem to get out there enough.
Yeah me too been out that way twice now really enjoy it but don't go very often :blush:
Got up this morning and cleaned all my bikes. Was a bit cold first thing, but by the time I had cleaned the last one it was much warmer. Our lass by that time had set of for Abingdon with her brother to go see another brother and her dad - in the car, not on bikes. Eldest lad was out at his girlfriends and youngest was still in bed. Sod it, I'm going out for a spin.

I decided to go climb Polly Botts after @13 rider taking the mickey out of me avoiding it on another thread. It's roughly 12 miles away, so a 25 mile round trip sounded just about right.

I decided to take it nice and steady and went straight into town and then jumped on Route 63 which would take me to Groby. After 4 or 5 miles of really struggling I realised the back brake was sticking tight on one side and I couldn't get the lowest gear; I can't have put the wheel back in properly after cleaning the bike so loosened it and retightened it; quickly tweaked the indexing and was away. Obviously every slight climb I was thinking the back brake was stuck again, but it seemed to be okay and the gears were shifting better.

At Glenfield I found a shared path that took me all the way to Ratby, was called the Ivanhoe Trail - was brilliant, tarmac all the way for a good two miles, completely traffic free and got me across the A46 and the M1, will use that more often I think.

Got to Polly Botts, there was a cyclist stopped at the bottom, slowed to check he was okay, he was. So I shot up the first part of the climb in the highest gear got round the first bend and out of sight of the other cyclist, dropped the bike into the lowest gear and blew out of my arse all the way up ^_^ (When I got home I noticed I was a tiny bit quicker than someone else on here :tongue:)

After that I went up Priory Lane, which I think is harder than Polly Botts, then up to Beacon Hill and then 3 miles of downhill and with the car behind me staying well back I had the opportunity to really push it (for me!) I was surprised when I only hit 40mph, I've done faster on much shorter descents - though a bit steeper.

After that it was a nice meander through a couple of villages, back through town and home. 39 miles done

https://www.strava.com/activities/409996886
Don't know who you mean :whistle: I am quicker on the bottom half ;) Agree about priory lane is worst that way than Polly Botts . I'll stop joking about your hill avoidance now as you keep going quicker than me :notworthy:. Mine you I'm quicker up priory lane :okay:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Set out from my brothers house in Keyworth into cold, damp fog. The world was fairly muted but the occasional Jewel like tree would dazzle us through the soup.
Keith had his wife Joyce on the tandem, Pete had his wife Lynn and I had Mrs Dave with me.
image.jpeg

In a village called Granby the fog started to disappear, leaving a pleasant autumnal day. We cycled along under Belvoir castle, 2 red kites eyeing us....
image.jpeg

A quick tea stop, then plummet down the hill out of the car park, excellent!
This is the view from the car park...
image.jpeg

We then went on for a few miles before turning sharp right over a hump back bridge and into Dove House hospice tearoom for some superb tiffin!
image.jpeg

The Thorn Explorer is great, irons out all the bumps, though the stoker is grumbling about the saddle......

Just a touch over 50 miles, average speed 13-14 mph depending on which of the 3 Garmins you believe.

A good day had by all!

https://www.strava.com/activities/410069377

13 rider

Guru
Set out from my brothers house in Keyworth into cold, damp fog. The world was fairly muted but the occasional Jewel like tree would dazzle us through the soup.
Keith had his wife Joyce on the tandem, Pete had his wife Lynn and I had Mrs Dave with me.
View attachment 106328
In a village called Granby the fog started to disappear, leaving a pleasant autumnal day. We cycled along under Belvoir castle, 2 red kites eyeing us....
View attachment 106329
A quick tea stop, then plummet down the hill out of the car park, excellent!
This is the view from the car park...
View attachment 106330

We then went on for a few miles before turning sharp right over a hump back bridge and into Dove House hospice tearoom for some superb tiffin!
View attachment 106331
The Thorn Explorer is great, irons out all the bumps, though the stoker is grumbling about the saddle......

Just a touch over 50 miles, average speed 13-14 mph depending on which of the 3 Garmins you believe.

A good day had by all!

https://www.strava.com/activities/410069377
Excellent cafe choice my favourite stop . I begining to ride that way more often always lots of cyclist there and lovely cake :hungry:

Goonerobes

Its okay to be white
Another fine(ish) day meant an opportunity to re-visit another of my favourite long rides from earlier in the year & this time it was up through the Test Valley to the North Wessex Downs which I rode back in May.

The forecast was for a chilly start & warming up later so I opted for shorts, baselayer & jersey plus knee warmers & gillet (which could be removed & stowed once it warmed up) & set of for a brief excursion into the forest before heading north through Dunbridge, Houghton & Longstock, bypassing Andover & into the North Wessex Downs where the only uphill section of todays ride was a gentle five miles up followed by an even gentler 12 miles down.

The half way point come & went & I still hadn't warmed up enough to shed the gillet or knee warmers as I passed through the pretty villages of Hurstbourne Tarrant, Stoke & Hurstbourne Priors en-route back into the Test Valley & through Kings Somborne, Kimbridge, Awbridge & the forest again for home, still wearing the gillet & knee warmers!

78.1 miles & I enjoyed the route as much as the first time I did it despite the rather poorly kept roads in the area & despite not enjoying it as much when I did the route going the opposite way (which is a bit bizarre)!!

https://www.strava.com/activities/410061252

002.JPG

004.JPG

006.JPG

009.JPG

Old jon

Guru
A trip to a destination I have visited before, Askwith, on the northern side of the Wharfe west of Otley. Took the old road to Otley from Lawnswood, it skirts the side of Leeds and Bradford airport, or it used to. I could not see much of the airport, probably the sweat in my eyes. I had certainly forgotten the amazing number of short sharp hills one little length of road can have. All would be forgotten once I descended the Chevin thought I. It was a brilliant descent indeed, properly decorated with rather thick mist for the last half . . .
After all that, the rest of the trip was a bit average, good riding, not too much traffic and the fog lifting slowly. 33.9 miles, a couple of interesting sandwiches and time afterwards to upload a couple of hi res videos,

Levo-Lon

Guru
Few hrs in wakerley wood,,shattered after 2 days mtb..
i did take a pic of the coffee and flapjack..nice

galaxy

Veteran
Cleaned and polished my Galaxy this morning, gave it a wee service and it was looking so good i decided to keep it that way.Took a 12 mile route round Hawley Lake, up the small rise to pass Gibraltar Barracks, (which almost killed me), to cross the road and do a nice route off road through the forrest and my favorite over the M3 to watch the rat race, then home for nice piece of homemade coffe & walnutt cake washed with a cuppa.

Mike_P

Guru
27 miles today and depending whether one believes the Strava data from the Galaxy phone or that from the Garmin 1870ft or 2028ft of climbing (or with elevation corrections the Garmin drops down to 1787ft). The Garmin did today behave itself and did not have me wildly riding across fields. Could be because it was linked to speed and cadence sensors for the first time or does it somehow pick up the GPS from the Galaxy - the only previous time it tracked the ride right was when I had the GPS switched on the phone. Mopped up a couple of previously non cycled down lanes, one at Fewston past the old Post Office still with its phone and post boxes in existence
Fewston.jpg

The other lane was notable for a very precise gradient sign
precision.jpg

The delight of the downhill gradient was set to one side as I passed the car and saw the lane further on, typically with a reverse curve between...
notso.jpg

Once up the hill I was almost on top of (this bit of) the world
top.jpg

The one thing that always puzzles me around these parts is why road signs always have Otley and Skipton on them at the expense of the nearby villages
top2.jpg

oct10.jpg

Last edited:
Not a ride but as I used the Garmin 200. I thought I would put it in. Strapped the Garmin 200 on my wrist as a try out (I wanted to see if I can use it to measure our dog walks) Parked at Jockey Shields in Geltsdale and set of down to low Hynham, up through the woods to the top lane. The Garmin registered the time but not the distance. Somewhere on the lane to the Greens, it started to record distance but not walking speed. As it is a good while since I did any walking I was slow but the views compensated for that. Lot more cattle sign than there used to be on these hills and far more people. Nice walk down hill but that Randy little so and so of ours had got the sniff of bitch and was pulling back. Turned at the Greens rather than extend the walk as I would have in the past. Felt the climb back up to Jockey Shield. Garmin showed just over a mile. Memory Map measures up at 2.70. So I presume that the Garmin 200 will not pick up a signal in deep hollows or woods. Before dismissing it I should maybe try it out on an open fell but I am not sure my knee will take the climb up to Cold fell.

Top Bottom