Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
An autumnal feel to this mornings ride with lots of leaves on the ground.

Headed out thru Pucklechurch then took a right turn before Hinton hill & thru the villages of Dyrham, Doynton & Upton Cheyney.

Then joined the Railway path at Bitton where a new 'old' engine was being delivered.

View attachment 106075

A very enjoyable 30 kms :-)

https://www.strava.com/activities/408725804

I recently toyed with the idea of having a steel bike frame painted in those colours.

13 rider

Guru
Just a 15 miler today as i have my b12 jab later and my energy levels are way down..
what a fantastic day here today..13deg ,no wind and glorious sunshine..

slight pi55 off at the end of the ride as i crossed the school field.
guy and his wife walking 2 large labradoodles ,both about 40kg..
off the lead they see me and run full pelt 150yds straight for me ....owner screeming at them...wtf this could be intresting.
the reach me and start jumping up and barking ..wont let me move..
im getting verry annoyed..
dogs go to owner...No apology....i try to ride off and dogs mug me again...
i shout at middle aged owner , this is a school field and you cant control the dogs...
stop being grumpy he says...i replied if one bites me ill fooking kill it..and your next..
If this had be my mrs on the bike she would have been terified..and probably never ride a bike again.
why do some dog walkers think this is acceptable...tosser View attachment 106176 View attachment 106177 View attachment 106178 View attachment 106179
I'd think I report the dog issue to the police the fact he couldn't control his dogs on a school playing field is worring and like you say some people are scared of dogs . Police probably won't do anything but at at least it would be recorded hopefully . Hope it didn't spoil your ride too much

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Just before I set off for this mornings jolly the local news mentioned the Vulcan is doing a fly over of Bruntingthorpe on Sunday as it was the place it was restored. I go by the place most days on the commute to work and the route I had planned for today was going straight by it:

WP_20151009_08_55_03_Pro.jpg

Next stop, Lutterworth also has an aeronautical link as well:

WP_20151009_09_19_47_Pro.jpg

Glorious weather this morning in Leicester again, looking at this view you would be forgiven for thinking it was the middle of summer:

WP_20151009_10_16_32_Pro.jpg

Also took a brief stop to snap Groby Pool:

WP_20151009_10_49_42_Pro.jpg

and finally the real destination of the ride, to take a couple of snaps of some weird street names for the cycling photo challenge set by @totallyfixed

WP_20151009_11_30_38_Pro.jpg

WP_20151009_11_37_40_Pro.jpg

A tad over 70 miles in perfect conditions and that ride takes me just over 17,000 miles for the year.

https://www.strava.com/activities/409376027

13 rider

Guru
Just before I set off for this mornings jolly the local news mentioned the Vulcan is doing a fly over of Bruntingthorpe on Sunday as it was the place it was restored. I go by the place most days on the commute to work and the route I had planned for today was going straight by it:

View attachment 106189

Next stop, Lutterworth also has an aeronautical link as well:

View attachment 106190

Glorious weather this morning in Leicester again, looking at this view you would be forgiven for thinking it was the middle of summer:

View attachment 106191

Also took a brief stop to snap Groby Pool:

View attachment 106192

and finally the real destination of the ride, to take a couple of snaps of some weird street names for the cycling photo challenge set by @totallyfixed

View attachment 106193

View attachment 106194

A tad over 70 miles in perfect conditions and that ride takes me just over 17,000 miles for the year.

https://www.strava.com/activities/409376027
Did you wave as you passed my house I didn't see you I m off work with manflu so no riding this week .I thought of flesh hovel lane for the comp . Nice cafe at the marina at the end of it . I really like the name of strava segment col du flesh hovel which is the bridge over the A6 not really a col :laugh:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Did you wave as you passed my house I didn't see you I m off work with manflu so no riding this week .I thought of flesh hovel lane for the comp . Nice cafe at the marina at the end of it . I really like the name of strava segment col du flesh hovel which is the bridge over the A6 not really a col :laugh:

I thought about waving but there were a few people about, I look odd enough riding my bike without letting people see me waving at house

Saluki

World class procrastinator
https://www.strava.com/activities/409388453

More McWifi for me today. I am in a newly refurbed one in Norwich while Hubster has a few minutes to recover from a rough dialysis session.

I got out of the car at Thickthorn Services and waved Hubster off to hospital. I decided to take Eric the CX as it gives me more options, route wise. Also, he's a bit easier to get tyres on and off in the case of a fairy visit. Good job too as it happened.

I headed up to Hethersett and then took the back road to Wymondham and then along Tuttles Lane and picked up the Barnham Broom road. At B.B. I bobbed into the shop for jelly babies as I was feeling hungry already. Mind you, breakfast at 4.30am and it was getting towards 8am so I was getting to my version of elevensies by then.
I headed off in the vague direction of Mattishall and thought that my back tyre seemed a bit soft. I stopped and checked and it was. I pumped it back up again and carried on to Mattishall but once I was about a mile past, the tyre was softish again. A slow P but not bloomin' slow enough. I sat at the side of the road, in the morning sun and changed my innertube. The spare was brand new and off a roadie. Only goes up to 32mm and my tyre is 35mm.:banghead: I couldn't find the hole in the original tube and I checked it 4 or 5 times. Blooming thing. The road tube would have to do. Actually, it did sterling work and it was fine.
It took me about half an hour to change the tyre as I double checked everything, rim tape, inside of tyre, the seating of the tyre. No point in rushing as I've not done this by myself for a bit. 2 groups of lycra clad road chappies passed me. Nobody even said good morning. Then 3 seperate lycra clad chaps passed me on their roadies. Nope, not a word - I was not tucked into a hedge or anything but in a passing place on a mostly straight bit of road. The curse of being 50 and female I guess. I would have appreciated a little help, although I didn't really need it.
I headed off to Bawdeswell then to Reepham, but turned at the Whitwell turning so I could go to the railway station cafe (not open until 11 from October - bum) but the nice man there said that the loos were open so I could hunt for that hole in a basin of water. He made me a cuppa too. I found the teeny tiny hole and went about fixing it, only to find that Hubster had moved all the kit about and there were 2 toolkits and no bloomin' patches. The guy there said that they run a bike hire fleet and found me a patch and some glue, so it's fixed, I think. It was the biggest patch that I have ever seen. More of a battle dressing that to cover up a weeny hole. I'll check it when I get home and refix if necessary. At any rate, I didn't need it.

I then headed down the Marriotts to Taverham, then rode along the road to Drayton, back on the Marriotts to New Costessey and then road riding to the hospital.

3:12:41 for 42.3 miles on my CX bike, so I was rather chuffed with that. I was out for exactly 5 hours, which included the coffee stop, fixing the bike stop, getting haribo stop and little stops for updating the garmin. I am hoping to ride from the Hospital home next week. I wanted to go over 40 miles steadily today so I could assess whether I can ride 60 by myself. I reckon that I can. Weather permitting.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
What a Palava!

I read on another thread about being able to hire Bromptons at various locations , one of them being Didcot station, So I thought I'd go and have a butchers just out of curiosity like, and I needed some milk and bread. It's a lovely day today and the roads and tracks looked dry so I took my Kingpin along with it's new retro classics tartan bag/box thingy. I set off from the village along the cycle route 544 but because I'm bored with that route I got off earlier and decided to got through the pretty village of East Hagbourne and stop and take some photos as time was not pressing upon me.

Every year it seams East Hagbourne villages have a scare crow festival and folks make up the figures according to the current themes and have them outside their houses, I think this year is Doctor Who, the link is as I understand it, an episode of the programme was filmed in the village when Tom Baker was The Doctor.

On to Didcot to get some shopping then to the station look at the Bromtpon Hub, which about a 18 steel cages some with bikes in and some not, you can read about the hire scheme here. Good Idea I think.

As I arrived at the Station I got a puncture on the rear wheel, so I wheeled the bike to somewhere quiet, and set about repairing the puncture, I had to remove the wheel sing the old style "dumbell" bike spanner, undo the SA gear toggle chain, and remove the tube. Thankfully I had my glasses, a pump and repair kit, I found the puncture quickly placed a patch and and set off home again there was a charming young person sitting on the bench next to me, sort of watching me repair this puncture, when I finished I asked her if she had a tissue I could have to wipe my fingers, she offered me a wet wipe instead which was very kind of her. I had a little faff with the gear toggle but got it sorted after a couple of stops. That's the first time I've repaired a puncture out and about for about 40 years.

I passed a yoof on the way home, he was cycling on the footpath on the other side of the road but going in the same direction as me, I was on the road and a car coming from a side road nearly off'd him. This chap swore at the car driver, and shook his head knowingly at me and said "stupid cow didn't even look", I said to him "neither should you mate, that was your fault you shouldn't be on the path" he told me to go forth and multiply, or words to that effect. ^_^ Oddly the one thing I noticed about him, was at about 18 years old he had no teeth.

Anyway it was a lovely afternoon to be out, I had a lovely ride 7.74 miles, not much but I'm still in training for the half marathon.

IMG_0774.JPG

Sunny day for the cows
IMG_0777.JPG

East Hagbourne church tower
IMG_0778.JPG

I think this is supposed to be a Dalek
IMG_0779.JPG

Tom Baker.

IMG_0780.JPG

This monument was apparently featured in an episode of Doctor Who.
IMG_0782.JPG

Brompton Dock at Didcot Station.

IMG_0784.JPG

Puncture
IMG_0785.JPG

Faffing with the gear toggle
IMG_0788.JPG

That embankment is the old railway track and forms part of cycle route 544
Didcot Stn.jpg

Old jon

Guru
Lots of silly hills today, a few had me stopping for breath. To the Oakwood Clock, Wetherby Road and up Boot Hill (breath) through the Red Halls to the next crest at Carr Lane, which I followed to Thorner, on to Bramham, Clifford, Boston Spa, Wetherby and Linton. East Keswick to Wike produced more breath stops, on to Shadwell, Roundhay and the Oakwood Clock again. 32.1 miles, wonderful weather, totally spoilt I am. Another video, I do hope folk can see these . . .

Alex H

Legendary Member
Today was forecast at 20° :sun:, so I waited for it to warm up a bit and then headed eastwards to Séreilhac via Cognac-la-Forêt. After the climb from Cognac-la-Forêt, I passed a small, unfenced orchard, next to the road with about 40 chestnuts trees.

This was nailed to one of them

"Git orf moi land and stop nicking my chestnuts" ^_^

PA090090.jpg

It obviously worked, as there was a carpet of chestnuts under the trees.

Took the road to Saint-Martin-le-Vieux and then onwards to the furthest point of my route - Nexon. Saw this on the way - it's the only one I've seen for a very long time

PA090095.jpg

Champ Perdu - If the field is truly lost, how come there's a sign post directing people to it? :wacko:

PA090096.jpg

Nexon has a chateau and park, which look a lot better on Wikipedia than in real life. the back of the chateau is on the main road through Nexon and the park is just grass

PA090099.jpg

The chateau is used as the 'Hotel de Ville' and so there's a lot of little white vans parked about.

This is the old stable block and local pigeon roost.

PA090100.jpg

Within the grounds of the chateau there is 'Le Sirque - Pôle National des Arts du Cirque de Nexon' - Centre National for Circus Arts, equipped with a tent standing more than 400 seats installed in the Park of the Château de Nexon, site, wooded 40-hectare estate is a place of creation, dissemination and cultural action for the arts of the circus in France

PA090098.jpg

Had lunch outside the church across the road.

PA090102.jpg

Took a different way back, so headed off the Les Cars, passing this bargain on the way. Anyone keen on trains? I couldn't find the details online, but there's a similar one for sale a little to the north of Limoges for 34,000€.

PA090103.jpg

Les Cars has a chateau which has seen better days.

PA090104.jpg

From here I made my way ever upwards, not too bad though, on route to Gorre. At the top of the climb, I took this picture - you can see the white buildings of Limoges in the distance (about 15km)

PA090105.jpg

From Gorre back on familiar ground to Saint-Laurent-sur-Gorre, Saint Cyr and home.

85.3km in 4hr 17min - avg 19.9

According to Google maps an enormous 805m of climbing :ohmy:

Got viciously assaulted by 7 flies - including one which hit my top lip and really stung :sad:

Also by the mother of all Maple leaves which decide to hit me in the face and attach itself to my sunglasses making me temporarily blind for a few seconds :wacko:

Katherine

Guru
A 21 mile evening ride into the sunset, that stayed warm even after it got dark.

Some friendly ponies.

IMG_20151009_172348785.jpg

A bit of an explore through Astley,

IMG_20151009_175901820.jpg

and found a different bit of the canal through Leigh, with a decent surface,

IMG_20151009_182106344.jpg

and then past Pennington Flash,

IMG_20151009_183618589.jpg

before heading back to the East Lancs path and my familiar route home.

Lots of stops to look at Google maps!

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
After surviving a particular nasty bout of manflu this week I dragged myself off my death bed for a ride so you good people of cc land had something to read .( yeah I know I am a hero but don't make a big thing about it) .So no plan just see how legs and breathing are . Through Newtown Linford and headed to Markfield and Thornton past the reservoir and towards Bagworth . Decided I was feeling OK was headed on to some new roads .Through Newtown Heath ,Barlestone ,Barton in the Beans ,Congerstone and round the back of Market Bosworth past the water park through Far Coton then into Market Bosworth which was really busy . Headed home via Newbold Vernon ,Desford ,Kirby Muxloe ,Ratby ,Groby and Home .34.3 miles done in 2hrs 12 mins got home not feeling to bad legs ache but breathing was fine so glad I got out for a ride might be this years last ride in shorts and short sleeved top just a tad chilly .Every other cyclist I saw seemed to be wrapped up for winter .Really enjoyed the riding around the quiet lanes near Market Bosworth only the second time I be been that way and I don't no why will certainly be back

Simontm

Veteran
Went out for a thirty miler this morning. Nice but a bit chilly. Molesey-Walton- along the river to Weybridge- then the Wey Navigation.
image.jpg
image.jpg
The best thing about this time of year is that you hardly see anyone. There were a few MTBs and families with dogs but for long stretches it was just me and the Wey.
Emerged by the Augustine chapel near Ripley
image.jpg
Then it was a simple matter of West Horsley-Downside-Cobham, where some pillock thought it was Ok to cut across me on his bike nearly making me topple. Then Stoke D'abernon- Oxshott-Esher bomb past the traffic jam at Sandown then home.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
After surviving a particular nasty bout of manflu this week I dragged myself off my death bed for a ride so you good people of cc land had something to read .( yeah I know I am a hero but don't make a big thing about it) .So no plan just see how legs and breathing are . Through Newtown Linford and headed to Markfield and Thornton past the reservoir and towards Bagworth . Decided I was feeling OK was headed on to some new roads .Through Newtown Heath ,Barlestone ,Barton in the Beans ,Congerstone and round the back of Market Bosworth past the water park through Far Coton then into Market Bosworth which was really busy . Headed home via Newbold Vernon ,Desford ,Kirby Muxloe ,Ratby ,Groby and Home .34.3 miles done in 2hrs 12 mins got home not feeling to bad legs ache but breathing was fine so glad I got out for a ride might be this years last ride in shorts and short sleeved top just a tad chilly .Every other cyclist I saw seemed to be wrapped up for winter .Really enjoyed the riding around the quiet lanes near Market Bosworth only the second time I be been that way and I don't no why will certainly be back

I love riding that way but never seem to get out there enough.

Top Bottom