Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sundays ride was a regular try out route. Backroad from Aglionby to Warwick Bridge, round to Newby and Linstock to Carlisle Castle and back home via the A69. 15.67 (by Garmin 200) I've often used this route to try kit out before taking it on a major ride. This time, it was the Tannus rear tyre and Paramo Reversible fleece smock that I bought years ago for walking. The jury is still out on the tyre and will be until I fit a new saddle (after 3 years the top of the present one is breaking up). The smock worked well; the front chest pocket is great for odds and ends. Tried to find one like it on the Paramo website but they don't seem to be making them now and the other Paramour stuff was way beyond my present budget.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Forecast today was for rain about 11am,so headed out just before 9 so beat it. Took the Trek 'winter' bike since it rained overnight, so mudguards were nice to have. Couple of miles in the misty rain turned to proper, you're getting soaked rain:rain::rain: Not to worry, my £20 B'Twin raincoat works a treat, and legs are waterproof, so continued onwards through Staines to the Laleham borders, before heading back via Dad's for a cuppa.
10.2 miles, really need to get some better brake blocks as the stock 105's are next to useless in the wet. Debating KolStop Salmons vs Swisstop greens ATM..

MikeW-71

Veteran
After a really lovely (not) head cold kept me off the bike for a bit, we were off to Centerparcs for a weekend break. Little nephew is growing rapidly and now fits his bike properly, and has nearly outgrown his second helmet. That's an easy one for Uncle Mike to sort for Xmas :smile:

Weather looked good, so I popped some Conti Travel Contacts on the MTB (I've had them many years and they've done virtually no mileage on my sisters BSO) which were much better to ride down there with than the knobblies. 31 miles from Carlisle to outside of Penrith, with the appropriately named Col de Centerparcs to climb right at the end. It's a proper unrelenting drag of variable steepness for a bit less than a mile. PB up it.. Yeah! :biggrin:

I can see another trip to an MTB centre is also in order after Nephews rapidly improving off-road confidence.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unYw8IX0f9w

https://www.strava.com/activities/406806287

Postmanhat

Intended to go to the Monsal Head Hill Climb yesterday, but slept later than anticipated, and decided to change route at Alport heights. Coming from Derby, this is the first 1000 footer you encounter and is supposed to be the first peak of the Peak District.

Familiar roads to Rainslow Scrins, just above Elton. Thought I could just about make out the new target, Curbar Edge, through the mist

In keeping with the weather, was a little hazy on how to get there. Through Chatsworth, Baslow and then hopefully followed a sign to Calver. It's also known as Curbar Gap, and when this appeared on my right, was sure I was in the right place.
What a climb! Straight in as my new favourite. Never lets up, but doesn't get vicious. Fantastic views from the top. Think that might be Eyam nestling in the far hillside?

The absence of wind meant that the next 10 miles across the moor weren't the usual ball ache. Lovely descent into Matlock, where I realised was about to encounter Matlock Bath on a sunny Sunday. For those who don't know it, this is a seaside town in the middle of England, which gets swamped by bikers on the weekend. Usually a mile-long traffic jam by this time, think the good weather had everyone ordering an extra pint, so sped gratefully through. Final combined Cromford/Bolehill climb had my legs telling me to stop mucking about and go home. 68 miles/5500 ft.

Looks like the good weather is returning later this week, coinciding with my first un-chorefilled spell off work this year. Can't wait

Not a recent ride but just a couple of gratuitous pics from L'Etape London.

Don't usually bother with the official pics but liked these two;

Suffer face:sweat::laugh:

letape1.jpg

And a nice one with the velodrome:bicycle:;

letape2.jpg

Spartak

Powered by M&M's

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Had a few errands to run this morning, so readied the MTB shopper. Just before I left it started raining really quite hard, so I opted to wait until it eased off a bit, then headed out in shorts and waterproof jacket. All well and good until about a mile from home when the heavens opened and once again my lower half got soaked. Bread and milk stayed dry though. 2nd day on the trot I've gotten soaked.
My 195th ride of the year, and 60th consecutive day of cycling.

13 rider

Guru
Had a few errands to run this morning, so readied the MTB shopper. Just before I left it started raining really quite hard, so I opted to wait until it eased off a bit, then headed out in shorts and waterproof jacket. All well and good until about a mile from home when the heavens opened and once again my lower half got soaked. Bread and milk stayed dry though. 2nd day on the trot I've gotten soaked.
My 195th ride of the year, and 60th consecutive day of cycling.
Good effort 60 days in a row :notworthy: with all your health issues that amazing alright you cut back on the milage but little and often seems to be working keep on riding :bicycle:

Old jon

Guru
A more or less standard ride for me today, canal towpath to Viaduct Road, Cardigan Road, North Lane, Otley Road, cross the river at Otley and on to Askwith via Weston. The weather was kind, sunny even, traffic relatively light. The new toy (Hero 4) caught a Chinese takeaway on North Lane called Sakura. Barbs and I play a version of a tune with that name, which is supposed to be Japanese for 'cherry blooms' according to both the scores we have. Anyway, back to the bike. Return journey very similar to the way out, a distance of 34.6 miles in all.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Just a quick 10 miler tonight. Well a slow one in fact.
We rode off to the end of the prom, up the 48 steps that I was told is called Jacob's Ladder and then along towards the ferry.mwe didn't go down as it's shut until Saturday so went inland and tried to follow a cycle way clearly marked on the map, only to find a locked gate with 'private, keep out' all over it. We took a different route and found a similar sign.nthen we had a visit from the fairy.
While sorting that out, we saw a lady who says we can go along those tracks and that the farmer is a shouty sort but if you are polite and point out that the path is marked on the map, he backs down.
We rode home along the back streets in the dusk. Some numpty in a Honda went the wrong side of the traffic island in his haste to pass us. He then got stuck at a red light and we passed him to stop in the bike box :laugh:
11.8mph average and a pleasant time.
No strata as I haven't connected my gram in up to the interweb.

I haven't posted for a while because I haven't been out for a while what with one thing and another including my depression getting the better of me for a while.
But we are on holiday now, and having recovered from travelling up here (which took a lot out of me), we finally got around to trying to cycle around the loch.... in the past it was an afternoon jaunt, taking under 2 hours, now it is an expedition that took over 3 1/2 hours total time, though ride time was under 3 hours for the 23 miles!

The morning hadn't looked that promising, in fact it looked down right like nothing was going to happen, but by the afternoon and just before setting out we had this...
DSC_0121_1024.JPG

A typical Scottish scene really. So we set out in full waterproofs and it promptly threw it down really heavily and we were left wondering how much of the ride was going to be in full waterproofs. Going down the track however, it stopped, as it so typical of the weather here and we were promptly rewarded with this - it never fails to amaze me how you can have both the above and the below pictures at the same time, just looking in opposite directions!

IMG_4128v2.JPG

Sadly, the camera could not capture all of the light and if I make the brightness of the picture any greater, I loose the detail and highlights in the cloud.

Going around the loch was uneventful. It was quiet enough to cycle side by side most of the time and it was a case of spot the differences from the last time we were here. One of them was a bull dog that has changed colour and we were sad to find out that a friend had died in the last few months, but has now been replaced with another rescue bull dog called Blue. Blue however, is not that sure of strangers right now, so we have 2 weeks to make friends with him. We had a chat with his owner and failed to get him to overcome his fear of strange people and things... one to work on and we have her permission. We had known her other bull dog for many a year and used to have great fun trying to out cycle him as he play chased us across the fields back to his home. He would actually come out and say hello to us and then run back each time and his owners always knew when it was us and he always knew it was a game. Anyhow, I don't know what type of bulldog, but both of them were the same, lovely and tall and slender. Never pudgy or overweight...

One from there and well not much has changed, so I won't bore you with any of the little differences.

We stopped twice, at the hour mark each time. It's my first ride in a month and 23 miles on a heavy trike is probably pushing it a touch (:whistle:) so I needed to be careful and pace myself carefully which I am glad to say I succeeded in doing. I ditched my waterproof trousers very early on, and other than a few spots at the other end of the Loch (it gets known as that because it is usually the end that has disappeared yet again (as it is currently).... But one thing the weather did mean was beautiful light and highlights... storm fronts are excellent for that!

One the way back I was able to get these 2 pictures...

IMG_4133.JPG

IMG_4140.JPG

And then it was back to the holiday home and as the sun was setting (which was roughly as we got back) we were presented with this...

DSC_0127_1024.JPG

(taken on the tablet, so it doesn't really capture the light quite as well as the camera, but it was all I had to hand at the time!)

My average was higher than I had hoped for and I managed to keep it in the mumble mumbles, ...
https://www.strava.com/activities/407541526

Top Bottom