Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
Guess who's back, back again
Jay is back, tell a friend
Guess who's back,
guess who's back,
guess who's back,
guess who's back,
guess who's back,
Guess who's back...... Nah, nah na

1st 100+km ride since having 6 months or so off the bike. One of my favourite routes out towards Thame with Tom, James and John. 75 miles at a not to shabby average speed of 16.6 mph. A lovely autumn day, really enjoyed being on the bike. No coffee stop, just a quick stop at a garage to re stock the drinks bottles. Legs are feeling it now though!

Screen Shot 2015-10-04 at 14.34.31.png

IMG_0711.jpg

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Tough ride (for me) today - picked a hilly route on purpose.

24.37 miles / 12.79mph av'/ 2454' total ascent (101'/mile).

Pleased with this as it is rare for me to break the 100'/mile ascent barrier and double pleased as there was a really hard bit about 200m long that ranged from 21.1% to 29.0% gradient. I puffed a bit on this section.

041015.jpg

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Apologies - work has been getting in the way of important stuff again ;) so I've got 3 rides to report...

Weds - final ride of September was just a quick spin after work / before tea. Familair route, no record broken but good to blow the stress of the day away on the bike.
8.9 miles in 34m53s at an average of 15.3mph. Put me just over 245 miles for the month, which I'll take given all the upheaval at the start of the month...the dog seems to be making a good recovery which is more important than my miles.:okay:

Friday - a long overdue day off work and my first ride of October. Despite being a 'day off', we had stuff to do, so it was a late afternoon ride out through Thorner to Bramham, then back via Aberford on NCN R66. More issues with the sodding mudguards, including having to repeatedly tighten the securing caps and then one of the rear stays detaching itself and wedging between the mudguard and rear tyre when I was descending the hill on Cattle Lane at around 30mph. It had burred off most of the plastic cap by the time I'd stopped and was blooming hot!
Anyhow, 18.85 miles in 1h15m at an average of 15.0mph
IMG_20151002_1645263512.jpg

02102015.jpg

No cycling at all yesterday as I had to go to Birmingham (don't ask...), so I was determined to get out today and do a variation on a favourite route, aiming for another metric half century. Given the promise of nice weather I decided to wear bib shorts rather than tights, which at least encouraged me to push on until the sun actually came out...:whistle:

Out to Thorner, then Milner lane and instead of continuing to Bramham, I took a road I haven't ridden before out to Collingham, which was very pleasant.
Not so pleasant was the scoot along a very busy A58, then up the hill on the A659 to Wattle Syke roundabout - but if you don't try these routes you'll never know will you? Google suggests you can cut through some residential streets just before the A58 but I didn't see a turn so ended up on the main road.
Stopped at Wattle Syke for a drink and photo and to tighten the mudguard stays again
IMG_20151004_0920244712.jpg

Then on down the cycle way into Wetherby, right over the river and right again for the run out to Walton, before another right down into Thorp Arch and across the river to Boston Spa. Left towards Tadcaster, but then cut back to Clifford via Bar Lane and on to Bramham.
Up the Col de Town Hill, where I met a couple of female cyclists at the top heading down, who congratulated me on my climb :bravo:, then out on Toulston Lane.
Stopped for a bite to eat and another photo - and another mudguard fettle.
IMG_20151004_100459041_HDR3.jpg

Whilst paused, I was passed by a peleton from a York club - black kit / pale blue stripe (all very friendly), a solo rider on a Cervelo with TT bars (totally focussed / ignored me) and then a couple more cyclists who said hello.and finally a horse & rider. Like the blooming M1 it was. ;)
Pushing on, down garnet Lane, over the A64 and into Stutton on the now obligatory dash down Fanny Lane, before the single track out to the A162.
Up the hill towards Towton, where a Sainsburys arctic driver got FAR TOO CLOSE, then out past the battlefield site (there is a ploughing contest near there on Sunday 1st November if you're out that way) and down into the always picturesque Saxton and out on Coldhill Lane where I stopped for a drink / breather / faff with mudguards and a photo.
IMG_20151004_104846973_HDR2.jpg

Then out to the main road, up past Lotherton Hall and the descent into Aberford, where I was passed by a stealth rider (all in black on a matt black bike, didn't even hear him 'til he passed...).
Out on Cattle Lane, descending down the hill to Cock Beck and the blooming mudguard stay detached itself again. Fortunately this time it lodged on the outside of the mudguard, but I still had to stop to sort it. It was very close to getting taken off and dumped in the hedge at this point...:cursing:
Anyhow, fettled again, I cycled up the hill to Barwick, through Scholes and on to home.
34.25 miles in 2hr 17m at an average of 14.9mph (which I'm sure would have been quicker without the repeated repair stops) and 1541ft climbed.
So that's 55.12km, which achieved the metric half century I'd been aiming for - not a bad mornings work.

04102015.jpg

PS - I've also ordered some replacement mudguards (with good customer reviews) and these cheap (recommended by the shop) ones are going back...or in the bin:banghead:

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
After a pleasant lunch with the cutest 9 week old little girl in the world and her parents I managed to get out at 3pm. I thought I'd head in a different direction, so I went down Madingley Hill like I do every day:wacko:

I turned at Coton and went through Grantchester, full with cars parked up, their occupants lunching or strolling. On toward Great Shelford and through the village, a car towing an airstream caravan went by.
Down toward Newton where the soil is pale and chalky
image.jpeg

On from there I reached Haslingfield, but I resisted the lure of the hill, instead I treated myself to the road from Harlton to the A603, a contender for the worst road surface in Cambs!

Coming into Comberton I just had to stop and take a picture of the church, it looked really beautiful in the sunshine
image.jpeg

Then on to home. 24.5 sunny miles. How many more of them will 2015 deliver?

https://www.strava.com/activities/406239235

13 rider

Guru
Today's ride was mates Andy first ride since last weeks cramp issues which has shuck his confidence a relaxed ride was planned .Out to meeting point in Rothley from Anstey via Cropston . Met up with Andy and we set off on our St Bernard's Abbey loop .Swithland round the back of Bradgate Park to Beacon crossroads then out on Charley Rd to Oaks in Charnwood were I attacked the climb and flew past a tandem on the climb nice strava pr .while waiting for Andy at the top a quick chat with the couple on the tandem .Out to Belton and Shepshed and back down Charley Rd into Cropston and Rothley were we normally part company but I could tell Andy wasn't completely right so I said ride home with him. He has drank 2 full bottles on a 2 hour ride and I gone through half a bottle advised him he needs to go to docs as something not right .Through Mountsorrel into Sileby were we got caught in traffic lots of stopping and Andy got cramp again . Rested for 5 mins and we rode the last bit to his house 34 miles done for Andy .With the weather being so nice I decided to stay out a bit longer .Cossington , Rothley ,Cropston and Anstey 44 miles done so turn away from home to Groby into Newtown Linford now determined to do 50 miles was short so turn right a quick loop round the village and then home 50.2 miles done at 14.5 mph in absolutely weather sunny and very little wind .

D

Deleted member 1258

Today is the first Sunday in a while where I couldn't find the will to drag my sorry arse out of bed and plonk it on the bike. I fear I may have Octoberitis (aka lazyitis) and will instead enjoy a Sunday ride vicariously whilst watching the pros in Lombardy.

Hope you all enjoy your rides today!

Similar problem here, month end weeks at work are usually very busy, but this one has been Totally Bonkers Busy, I didn't get out Friday till quarter past seven, that combined with my Sons Wedding yesterday meant I was still tired when I woke up this morning and I couldn't drag myself out on the bike, something I've been cursing at all day, the weather has been glorious here, the only good side has been the number of things I've been able to catch up with today. :sad::smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

Old jon

Guru
An unexpected ride today, the weather was brilliant and Barbs told me to go play with the new toy. I bought a Go Pro camera yesterday. Loads of fun. Anyway, usual three sides of a square to start with, out to the Oakwood clock. Past Canal gardens, on to Shadwell, Scarcroft, East Keswick, Linton. Had a break there, noticed the town hall has eroded a lot. Boston Spa, Bramham, Thorner and Red Hall Lane to the A58, down the hill and home. 32.5 miles, and it seems to be getting easier. IMG_0886.jpg

Gareth C

Veteran
Swaledale Lead Mines

Final bike ride of a crazy week of biking, and my legs hurt before we start. Destination Swaledale for a trip (or push) up Fremington Edge, then over to Great Pinseat and back via the Old Gang Mines and along the River Swale.

Graham was back (last time we’d ridden was when I had my big accident on this same route), and Adam and Craig from work (Craig riding an impressive Fatty to ride on).

Fremington Edge was a long push, and when I got to the top (last) they guys were chatting with one of the gamekeepers, as there was a shoot on.

wp_20151003_09_38_59_pro.jpg
Reeth, with the mist starting to clear, from Fremington Edge

wp_20151003_09_39_06_pro.jpg
Still some way to go to the top

wp_20151003_10_05_15_pro.jpg
Adam plays on the Fatty

We had to wait until they’d finished, so Adam had a play on the Fatty, and I took the time to fine tune my gears: the previous day I’d found my derailleur was slowly unscrewing itself from all the hammer it had taken, so had tightened it up with some blue-lock on, but neglected to adjust cable tension. The limit screw also needed a tweak, as I’d dumped the chain off the back of the cassette on the way up. Mobile repair shop complete and shooting over, we push on to Hurst, with thanks from the toffs for waiting for their shoot to complete.

gopr8226.jpg
Burning heather on the moors

Another moor climb and then the amazing descent to Langthwaite. First stopping to check out our first descent of the ‘Ard Rock, which looks unfeasibly difficult. Down through the lead mine is amazing, with high limestone cliffs on the left, a high drop on the right, and a slender single track threading the gap between. We run out of mine, and embark on the fast grassy gully down to the stream splash, then spin along through the woods to Langthwaite, and a pub stop!

Next up is a short, but hard, bit of road work to gain the bridleway over Cringley Hill, where we meet a massive bunch of ramblers at the junction with the road. They’re trying to charge us for holding the gate open, but we get away without paying! A quick descent leads us to the site of my April accident; this time I take it slowly, but it’s still slippery. Adam has a little slip, but makes it through OK. Craig on the fatty has no issues whatsoever.

g0018241.jpg

g0018268.jpg

g0018328.jpg

We’re then climbing off-road to Great Pinseat. It’s a long drag, but when we get there I break out the haribos. This area is like the moon, just bare rock and spoil heaps from the lead mining. We ride around (and over) spoil heaps, then start the descent to the Old Gang mines. The whole descent, but especially the first quarter are immense fun, with a wide choice of lines to take, which for Adam includes into the heather.

g0018675.jpg
Craig leaving Great Pinseat

g0018428.jpg
Spoil heaps on Great Pinseat

At the end of the descent, there’s a short steep road climb, followed by a massively steep descent into Feetham. Despite this being 100% on tarmac, it rates up there with the rest just because of the steepness. As we stop at the give way sign, all you can smell is burning brake pads from four mountain bikes!

g0019576.jpg
Old Gang Smelting Mill

g0019487.jpg
Approaching Old Gang

g0019250.jpg
Racing sheep

We make our way west, and over the bridge towards Crackpot, but turn off towards Low Row to gain the byway along the Swale. This is followed all the way to Grinton, and throws in everything from loose rocky ground, rocky/rooty singletrack to grassy traverses high above the river. Absolutely beautiful, and despite being mostly flat, we blast along it, so even this is tiring. There’s a collection of nettle stings obtained as a consequence of this low level route, but all is forgiven as we approach the Dales Bike Centre. A big rest is taken here, with drinks and bacon sarnies a just reward for a hard day out. At last we get back on the bikes and make the last kilometer up to the cars in Reeth.

Glad the week of biking is over: it’s been great, but not sure I could last another day!

screen-shot-2015-10-03-at-17-34-42.png

Strava log: https://www.strava.com/activities/405498274

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
In an attempt to make my short rides more interesting, this morning I added a small diversion onto a regular route, reckoning it would be a 10 mile ride, ad I'd be back in time for SWMBO to go off to her keep fit class. When the Garmin said I'd done 9 miles I knew I'd gone wrong, since I was still 3 miles from home..
Nevermind, a very nice 12 miles on the RT-58, and back home by 0900 so beat all the club runs.

Top Bottom